• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storyteller
    replied
    Originally posted by CrazyCrazy
    Originally posted by IrishLamb
    Is it wrong to want to listen to christmas music already?
    Of course not, I listen to Xmas music whenever, it's just music after all.
    I know It’s just a bit early. I’m importing all of my christmas albums into iTunes now.

Leave a comment:

• CrazyCrazy
    replied
    Originally posted by IrishLamb
    Of course not, I listen to Xmas music whenever, it's just music after all.

Leave a comment:

• Storyteller
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NothingFails
    replied
    Originally posted by TIfan
    ^^^^Control is known for being the birth of NJS. The King of NJS, Teddy Riley even credits Janet's "Nasty" as being the influence for his sound. Although Janet worked with Jimmy and Terry, Control did not have the "Minneapolis Sound." Listen to Purple Rain and then listen to Control. They sound nothing alike. Janet/Jimmy/Terry came with a new sound and many followed.

Even when Janet made sexual songs, to me, her sound was more like Marvin Gaye then Prince. Marvin sound had a bigger influence on the 90s R&B as well but many will say Prince was did. Prince influence took over in the 00s when almost every R&B artist had to have a "Prince-ly" type of beat. (Usher's Do it to Me, Ciara's Promise, JT/Beyoncé's End of Time etc...)

Well, you have to remember there's a lot more to Prince than just Purple Rain, which was kind of uncharacteristic for what he was producing for other artists in the day.

If you look at the musician list for Control, it was essentially a Time album minus Morris Day and Prince. Also not too dissimilar from Apollonia 6's album, which also contained a lot of the same musicians who played on Control. Even the long version of the Control video, you see like five people from the Prince camp in the car scene. It may have not been identical to Prince's music in 1986 but it was definitely a very "Minneapolis" album. Prince himself has done What Have You Done For Me Lately in his live set before, he realizes it was a "Prince song for another artist" that basically got away. At the time, it was even being sold as the closest thing we'd get to Michael Jackson and Prince collaborating, as it being MJ's sister working with people closely associated with Prince.

The real change for Janet was Rhythm Nation, the Minneapolis trend was over, Prince had reinvented himself a few times over by then and he and Jam/Lewis had gone in drastically different teritories, but a ton of Prince/Minneapolis fans loved the Control album, it was part of the scene even if Prince didn't have any direct input on it, but it was close enough to what other acts from Minneapolis were doing at the time.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Originally posted by Serby
    I made Pasteis de nata (before even ever trying the real, original ones) and my Portuguese roomate approved! She said they are really good, yaaaaahs!
    May I ask what this is?

Leave a comment:

• LOVE+FEAR
    replied
    I made Pasteis de nata (before even ever trying the real, original ones) and my Portuguese roomate approved! She said they are really good, yaaaaahs!
    I luuuuuuh those

Leave a comment:

• Michiel
    replied
    All eaten up, in less than 15 minutes! I can give you a recipe, though! All you need is a muffin sheet/pan, basic baking skills, around euro and a half worth of ingridients (so cheap!) and less than 40 min of time!

Leave a comment:

• Hugo
    replied
    Yasss Serby, get that Portuguese cuisine praise!!!

Leave a comment:

• Serby
    replied
    All eaten up, in less than 15 minutes! I can give you a recipe, though! All you need is a muffin sheet/pan, basic baking skills, around euro and a half worth of ingridients (so cheap!) and less than 40 min of time!

Leave a comment:

• flopho
    replied
    gib me pls

Leave a comment:

• Serby
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NothingFails
    replied
    Originally posted by DOSSOME
    Originally posted by Westen
    I think almost dropping child from balcony is bigger story than death
    Nah,that one lasted a few hours.People dismissed him as crazy and moved on...His death,the performance @ Motown's 25th anniversary,Thriller,Pepsi Commercial accident,We Are The World all made more impact
    the irony that ten or twelve years ago, I remember being on a road trip with a friend and we were listening to a MJ cd and he was saying that MJ and Whitney both had "irreparable" public images that would take death before it gets wiped clean. Scarily, his omen came true. :(

Leave a comment:

• Serby
    replied
    Nnnnn not scones acting all sainty!

Leave a comment:

• DOSSOME
    replied
    Nah,that one lasted a few hours.People dismissed him as crazy and moved on...His death,the performance @ Motown's 25th anniversary,Thriller,Pepsi Commercial accident,We Are The World all made more impact

Leave a comment:

• NothingFails
    replied
    lol, remember the Michael Jackson Baby Drop video game?

But MJ had been a tabloid fixture the last 20 years of his life, they loved to single everything out he did. It was expected media would go ballistic whenever he did something "odd". Nobody in June 2009 actually expected him to die anytime soon because he was supposed to be making his return to the stage. Same goes with Whitney, her public image had been that she had cleaned up and gotten her life back on track. Nobody expected to hear that news about either of them at the time it happened.

Other generations have their "I'll never forgot when I heard" moments... Kennedy, Elvis, Lennon, Cobain, Tupac, Diana, etc...., MJ and Whitney have joined that level. MJ for my age group had to be what my mom felt when Elvis died and Lennon to a smaller degree (she was more of an Elvis fan though she also appreciated The Beatles/Lennon).

Leave a comment:

• CrazyCrazy
    replied
    Originally posted by KokoCollino
    He's one of the gayest here.
    Whoops

But gay is good so gayest is best?
    Yep we all love Biscuits.

Leave a comment:

• DOSSOME
    replied
    Originally posted by NothingFails
    Completely random.What are the most famous/infamous/craziest moments to happen in the music and entertainment industry since the start of the millenium?I tried listing a few and and here's my list (in no particular order):-
    1.Madonna/Britney VMA Kiss
    2.Mariah's TRL Episode
    3.Michael Jackson's Death
    4.Janet's Superbowl incident
    5.Bald Brinty attacking Paparazzi
    6."Crack is Wack"
    7.Michael's nose falling off
    8.Ray J/Kim Kardashian tape
    9.Rihanna/Chris Brown incident
    10.Gaga's meat dress

I think MJ is #1. 30 years from now people will still remember where they were when they heard the news... its our generations' equivalent to Elvis or Lennon's deaths.

Whitney's death definitely belongs up there too, top 5 certainly. Although it wasn't quite as massive as MJ's was where you heard nothing but MJ for a month afterwards, it was still a seismic "end of an era" story that people will always remember when they heard the news.
    I didn't list them in order but I do agree about MJ's death...It was a day to my birthday when I turned on CNN to see the news :( ..Everyone I know was devastated.

Leave a comment:

• LOVE+FEAR
    replied
    Whoops

But gay is good so gayest is best?

Leave a comment:

• Westen
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NothingFails
    replied
    Completely random.What are the most famous/infamous/craziest moments to happen in the music and entertainment industry since the start of the millenium?I tried listing a few and and here's my list (in no particular order):-
    1.Madonna/Britney VMA Kiss
    2.Mariah's TRL Episode
    3.Michael Jackson's Death
    4.Janet's Superbowl incident
    5.Bald Brinty attacking Paparazzi
    6."Crack is Wack"
    7.Michael's nose falling off
    8.Ray J/Kim Kardashian tape
    9.Rihanna/Chris Brown incident
    10.Gaga's meat dress

I think MJ is #1. 30 years from now people will still remember where they were when they heard the news... its our generations' equivalent to Elvis or Lennon's deaths.

Whitney's death definitely belongs up there too, top 5 certainly. Although it wasn't quite as massive as MJ's was where you heard nothing but MJ for a month afterwards, it was still a seismic "end of an era" story that people will always remember when they heard the news.

Leave a comment:

• DOSSOME
    replied
    Originally posted by MrLeonix
    2.Mariah's TRL Episode
    What? No one remembers this
    alright Mr.No One

Leave a comment:

• CrazyCrazy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• LionH3art
    replied
    Originally posted by KokoCollino
    Originally posted by biscuits
    You gays
    I'm sure if it was women doing the same thing, straight guys would enjoy it too.
    Oh biscuits you're straight?

Leave a comment:

• LOVE+FEAR
    replied
    You gays
    I'm sure if it was women doing the same thing, straight guys would enjoy it too.
    Oh biscuits you're straight?

Leave a comment:

• CrazyCrazy
    replied
    You gays

Leave a comment:

Working...
X