X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TIfan View Post
    @MrLeonix,

MK is culturally MASSIVE in Asia from what I gather...
    Asia, Really? didn't know that. Cool to know, although from what I've read Mortal Kombat never stood a chance there next to Street Fighter.

Originally posted by TIfan View Post
    Are you excited for the new movie.
    I am but I'm also nervous about it. The actors casted so far are unknown and the chosen Director has never directed a movie before . . . It'll literally be his debut so I'm afraid the whole thing ends up messy and cheap due to the inexperience of the people involved.

On the other hand it could work, I assume that by being his first film he might be really passionate about it which could translate into a great result. But you never know what could happen, I don't know what to expect anymore with that movie.

Mortal Kombat could be an amazing movie if developed and worked properly under the hands of good writers and directors. Hopefully everything goes well.

Originally posted by aRat View Post
    Mortal Kombat was gigantic in Europe too, it defines any 90's kid's childhood.
    Interesting. Judging by other video games forums and the MK community (which I've been active on for several years) I was under the impression Europe was not the game's market, most MK fans you find online are Americans or from Latin America.

Good to know it worked in Europe too but one thing I know is that The Americas (North America + Latin America) are MK's main / major market.

Originally posted by stevyy View Post
    a real 90s kid played Tekken.
    Tekken came out later though, it didn't belong to that same phase/wave when fighting games first revamped the industry such as SF and MK going face to face in early 90s.

Originally posted by heppolo View Post
    Tekken came slightly later, MK were the first real deal on the scene. Again, it's the good old FIFA v. Pro Evo debate.
    Exactly. Although Street Fighter was the actual real deal IMO but Mortal Kombat came out with a very different concept and approach that hit really big over here. It was a phenomenom.

Originally posted by WEBofDESIRE View Post
    No SFII love? A travesty. Hadoken, Hadoken, Shoryuken!!!!!
    SFII is a piece of art but MK was also amazing and caused a lot of impact.
    Last edited by MrLeonix; Sat September 7, 2019, 15:13.
    Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
    Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• I played Street Fighter and Virtua Fighter, but never Mortal Kombat.
      I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

• I loved MK mainly for the Reptile character, the rest of fighting games had little respect to Green colour
        Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• ^ Blanka says hi.

Comment

• Oh wow
            Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• ^Love these kind of videos.
              The list would look somewhat different if it was based on impact, I expected to see some names that didn't appear, but I suppose this is purely based on the biggest seller of each respective year. A lot of fun!

Comment

• I actually thought that this was based on impact. At least it made sense for most of the 90s and the 00s. Unfortunately, I feel like the last few years lacked that one album massive in impact. It feels a bit odd having albums like 'reputation.', 'The Truth About Love' or 'ANTI' in the same list as ''Jagged Little Pill', 'Back to Black' or 'The Fame' - albums that wrote pop music history...
                Pro: freedom of speech
                Contra: cancel culture

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                  I actually thought that this was based on impact. At least it made sense for most of the 90s and the 00s. Unfortunately, I feel like the last few years lacked that one album massive in impact. It feels a bit odd having albums like 'reputation.', 'The Truth About Love' or 'ANTI' in the same list as ''Jagged Little Pill', 'Back to Black' or 'The Fame' - albums that wrote pop music history...
                  I missed some very big albums in the 70's 80's part.

Comment

• Luckily I wasn't eating or drinking anything because my laptop would be covered in stuff when 2009 hit. I forgot she was a thing for a while.

And it's very sneaky to include 2019 with Ariana when Billie is breathing behind her neck and Taylor will top them both soon too.
                    I have received many gifts from God,
                    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• Originally posted by beredy View Post
                      And it's very sneaky to include 2019 with Ariana when Billie is breathing behind her neck and Taylor will top them both soon too.
                      Hasn't Taylor already topped her with the first week alone?

Comment

• Originally posted by WEBofDESIRE View Post
                        Hasn't Taylor already topped her with the first week alone?
                        Not in SPS. Pure sales maybe. But only in the US. But now I wonder what the actual criteria was for the list as Shakira being there bothered me as I knew she didn't have the best selling album in US or worldwide that year. Avril's Let Go was significantly bigger. I'm guessing if we were going tot check then we'd find bigger albums for a lot of these years. So I guess it's a bit of an arbitrary list based on creator's subjective opinion.

Comment

Not in SPS. Pure sales maybe. But only in the US. But now I wonder what the actual criteria was for the list as Shakira being there bothered me as I knew she didn't have the best selling album in US or worldwide that year. Avril's Let Go was significantly bigger. I'm guessing if we were going tot check then we'd find bigger albums for a lot of these years. So I guess it's a bit of an arbitrary list based on creator's subjective opinion.
                          It could be a list based on the total sales of these albums, and not the total sold in the release year (The only way the MC's MC is the best selling record from a female in 1994). Shakira is huge, it's possible that the English album has done well over the years with her Spanish following?

Comment

• ^Highly unlikely. Of course the numbers can always be questioned but Let Go is at 20 million and Laundry Service at 13 million units -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...e_21st_century

And Let Go has significantly stronger streams, so it crossed over better to streaming.

Comment

• it's always so interesting to me how radical the changes in music were from the 60's to the 70's. All of a sudden everything seemed possible and it still really shows. A lot of music made in the 70's is simply timeless yet so varied and experimental.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hejira View Post
                                it's always so interesting to me how radical the changes in music were from the 60's to the 70's. All of a sudden everything seemed possible and it still really shows. A lot of music made in the 70's is simply timeless yet so varied and experimental.
                                70's were amazing. Such a hodgepodge of everything. You had rock branching off into so many subgenres which eventually became full blodded genres for themselves (punk!), the birth of electronic music, R'n'B divas embracing disco with then current pop still going strong. Amazing decade for music.

Comment

• EDIT:

Last edited by beredy; Sat September 7, 2019, 19:18.

Comment

EDIT:

Golden age for horror also for sure.
                                    The classics are from that decade.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hejira View Post
                                      Golden age for horror also for sure.
                                      The classics are from that decade.
                                      Before double posts were invented.

Comment

• [MENTION=87497]Hejira[/MENTION] But I just read The Exorcist the other day and DAMN! That book is phenomenal. And I can't even say it's better than the movie as Blatty really made great choices what to focus on in the book and what to focus on in the movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by WEBofDESIRE View Post
                                          ^ Blanka says hi.
                                          I wasn't too much into that green/orange Hulk-ish combination

Comment

[MENTION=87497]Hejira[/MENTION] But I just read The Exorcist the other day and DAMN! That book is phenomenal. And I can't even say it's better than the movie as Blatty really made great choices what to focus on in the book and what to focus on in the movie.
                                            I also preferred the "Rosemary's baby" book to the movie, and that movie was great..late 60's though.
                                            Basically books will always be better then the adaptions. It's rare that a movie does it better. Some Stephen Kings movies were better than the stories (Stand by me, Shawshank) but those were short stories.
                                            Like you said, there is more space to focus on more things in a book.

Comment

^Highly unlikely. Of course the numbers can always be questioned but Let Go is at 20 million and Laundry Service at 13 million units -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...e_21st_century

And Let Go has significantly stronger streams, so it crossed over better to streaming.
                                              Had no idea what the numbers for either were. I guess the list is subjective (IE Pointless LOL).

Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                                              I wasn't too much into that green/orange Hulk-ish combination
                                              Character design was superior and more varied in MK, several characters in SF are throwaways.

Comment

• Originally posted by JeremySpears View Post

Oh wow
                                                Phew this makes me appreatiate that popstitutes dominated after the 80s cuz gworl everything before that seemed boring af
                                                BEAUTY IS A MUST, TALENT IS A PLUS
                                                98 - OUT

Comment

• ^Of all the people, Olivia Newton-John was surprisingly the first sign of things to come

Comment

• 5:10
                                                    Originally posted by abi on GOAT
                                                    You know what? UKMIX really did wonders on this song for me.

I really went from not caring for this song at all to having this as my most played Mariah song of all time because of the constant mentions of this song from some of y'all here.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X