Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^ I never realized that Paula was black in the MLIFR vid, seriously, I thought it was Vanessa Williams for a minute.

Comment

• I only know the name Paula Abdull because of forum gheys mentioning her, I have never heard a song or seen a music video of hers.

Must have been even more local than Jeannette.
      BEAUTY IS A MUST, TALENT IS A PLUS
      98 - OUT

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post
        I only know the name Paula Abdull because of forum gheys mentioning her, I have never heard a song or seen a music video of hers.

You don’t know about this iconik moment?
        Originally posted by abi on GOAT
        You know what? UKMIX really did wonders on this song for me.

I really went from not caring for this song at all to having this as my most played Mariah song of all time because of the constant mentions of this song from some of y'all here.

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post
          I only know the name Paula Abdull because of forum gheys mentioning her, I have never heard a song or seen a music video of hers.

She had like 40 weeks in the UK top 40, and an embarrassing amount of success in US. It depends on how old you were from 1998 -1992, her career was over after that (and her music quickly forgotten).

@Goldmoney, that video. LOL She was always a mess on idol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rihab View Post
            [MENTION=18111]TIfan[/MENTION] be like

98 - OUT

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
              Nope
              98 - OUT

Comment

• Wow, I've never seen that interview with her. So cringe; I couldn't make it through two minutes.

Comment

• when I was a teen, in the 2000-2002 MTV Europe and VIVA had Sylver on heavy rotation and back then I thought the act was absolutely massive (I wasn't interested in charts back then). Imagine my surprise when I discovered they barely had any hits even in their country.
                  Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• ^ the guy is hawt
                    98 - OUT

Comment

• I want to start a side hustle. Maybe like investing in stocks, or idk.... something to complement a corporate 9-5 job. Anyone got some advice/ideas?

If only stanning made money. I'd be rich if I had a $ for everytime I dragged for Rih back in the day.....
                      Listen to my 2016 Eurovision Song Contest entry: MIRACLE

Comment

• I've never heard a Paula song in my LIFE.
                        My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post
                          I've never heard a Paula song in my LIFE.
                          Not even the cartoon-ish "Opposites attract"?

Comment

• It's funny how out of all the Stock, Aitken and Waterman vast catalogue, the U.S. only responded to the safest act in the whole line-up, Rick Astley. Even the best Dead Or Alive songs received lukewarm treatment. Typical bland U.S. public that hasn't really changed.

Comment

• Straight Up and Opposites Attract were top 3 black radio hits.

Huh.

I really went from not caring for this song at all to having this as my most played Mariah song of all time because of the constant mentions of this song from some of y'all here.

Comment

• Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                                It's funny how out of all the Stock, Aitken and Waterman vast catalogue, the U.S. only responded to the safest act in the whole line-up, Rick Astley. Even the best Dead Or Alive songs received lukewarm treatment. Typical bland U.S. public that hasn't really changed.

Comment

• ^which was a cover, another example of how shallow U.S. market really is

Comment

^which was a cover, another example of how shallow U.S. market really is
                                    Actually cover songs rarely succeed in the US though.
                                    Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                                    Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

Not even the cartoon-ish "Opposites attract"?
                                      I also never heard her songs, but I am aware of its existence because one of the biggest artists ever on Balkans ripped of video and that's the only reason some people might have heard of Paula here, this video is kinda iconic here

Comment

• Just finally watched 'Crawl' which i was very excited for.
                                        I was disappointed. The script was weak and the alligators didn't look convincing enough for me to atleast enjoy the horror.
                                        Some nice kills and some good tention here and there but nothing special.
                                        "Rogue" remains my fave croc/alligator movie so far.

Comment

It's funny how out of all the Stock, Aitken and Waterman vast catalogue, the U.S. only responded to the safest act in the whole line-up, Rick Astley. Even the best Dead Or Alive songs received lukewarm treatment. Typical bland U.S. public that hasn't really changed.

Comment

• ^peaked only at #7 in BB Hot 100 despite Donna being an established and well-known act, and the rest of that era completely flopped

Comment

• She was 40 and hadn't had a top ten in years. A huge comeback for her.

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                                She was 40 and hadn't had a top ten in years. A huge comeback for her.
                                                yet for one single only (in the U.S. market), UK has done much better (as always).
                                                pre-streaming era sales only UK chart >>> Billboard Hot 100 trash payola/radio airplay formula

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                                                  Shame we don;t get things like these anymore

Everyone is obsessed with polished image and good PR these days

Comment

• Originally posted by Westen View Post
                                                    Shame we don;t get things like these anymore

Everyone is obsessed with polished image and good PR these days
                                                    Ohhh we still get them today, except now they’re in 120 characters or less like that sad ass retirement meltdown the other day

Comment

Working...
                                                    X