X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne
    replied
    Originally posted by Serby
    How can we ever compare old and new when album sales back then were so mcuh bigger because of the different climate in the music industry, no internet plus people were "forced" to buy an album just because of an song. It's way more complicated than 1:10 thingie you did.
    I said that it would be unfavorable to compare, but you obviously chose to overlook that part.

It's not me that chose to compare Taylor Swift with an infinitely bigger act.

Leave a comment:

• Formusic
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne
    Originally posted by spiritboy
    Well, sales aren't just about album sales, are they?
    Album sales are infinitely more important and represent a greater level of success. If you were to put Madonna's record sales into a track-equivalent system in which 1 album = 10 digital singles [an album would've cost on avg. $12 back in the day - a digital single costs $1.20 or thereabouts these days], then Madonna would be about 2 billion record sales ahead of Taylor Swift. Swfitie ain't going to make that up in three lifetimes, let alone the one she has.

I appreciate that the industry has changed and so have buying habits, which is why it does nobody any favours comparing the big female legends of this industry such as Madonna, Céline, Mariah, Barbra and Whitney with their modern counterparts such as Beyoncé, Taylor, Katy, Rihanna, Lady Gaga etc.
    As you said the industry changed so it would be totally unfair to compare artists from different generations, I can also come up with views on youtube etc (where modern pop stars beat the legendary divas by bilions of views etc, or stream receipts). That being said those 5 aformentionned artists aint that far from the legends like Madonna, Celine..ofc the olders influenced the newbies so that is a life-time advantage but in term of star power and impact on the industry, there s no big difference IMO.

And for Taylor personnally, she became the highest earning artist of her generation (Beyoncé is not from hers) during the last tracking period of Forbes and is about to do +100M next year (according to another forbes article joining Madonna, Celine and Beyoncé) so she s doing extremely fine for someone at just 25.

Leave a comment:

• Serby
    replied
    Originally posted by Airwrecka
    Well, I guess most of our words come from somewhere else. It probably doesn't get used as much because of awkward Serby moments.
    besh

never heard of it, i never had latin weirdly enough, i though it was some sort of the typo.

my favourite foreign word that's naturalised in english is sauerkraut, it's just sooo weird to see it being used normally when it's an German word, completelly in it's original form (apart of the S not being in capital).

Leave a comment:

• Serby
    replied
    How can we ever compare old and new when album sales back then were so mcuh bigger because of the different climate in the music industry, no internet plus people were "forced" to buy an album just because of an song. It's way more complicated than 1:10 thingie you did.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Well, sales aren't just about album sales, are they?
    Album sales are infinitely more important and represent a greater level of success. If you were to put Madonna's record sales into a track-equivalent system in which 1 album = 10 digital singles [an album would've cost on avg. $12 back in the day - a digital single costs $1.20 or thereabouts these days], then Madonna would be about 2 billion record sales ahead of Taylor Swift. Swfitie ain't going to make that up in three lifetimes, let alone the one she has.

I appreciate that the industry has changed and so have buying habits, which is why it does nobody any favours comparing the big female legends of this industry such as Madonna, Céline, Mariah, Barbra and Whitney with their modern counterparts such as Beyoncé, Taylor, Katy, Rihanna, Lady Gaga etc.

Leave a comment:

• theArmy
    replied
    I can't believe how huge and influential Taylor is. She's definitely the one who'll take the crown from Madonna as the best selling female recording artist as well as top grossing solo/female artist tour if she continues 1989 World Tour.
    Good for her. And what gon the kids 30 yrs from now remember of her? Damn right, nothin.

Leave a comment:

• Airwrecka
    replied
    Well, I guess most of our words come from somewhere else. It probably doesn't get used as much because of awkward Serby moments.

Leave a comment:

• Carbon
    replied
    oh right. I never really perceive it as an actual english word because it's so latin

Leave a comment:

• Airwrecka
    replied
    It means that in English too.

Leave a comment:

• Carbon
    replied
    Originally posted by hugo
    cum?
    I know hugo's probably joking but for serby's information, it means with in latin

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied
    Originally posted by ArmyOfMe
    pizza >>>>>>>> life
    Easy for you say that cause you're living in the pizzaland

Leave a comment:

• ArmyOfMe
    replied
    pizza >>>>>>>> life

Leave a comment:

• Hugo
    replied
    cum?

Leave a comment:

• Serby
    replied
    cum?

Leave a comment:

• Lamhe
    replied
    My criteria is "hit album cum single eras" and she's been ruling that aspect for a considerable amount of time.

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne
    I can't believe how huge and influential Taylor is. She's definitely the one who'll take the crown from Madonna as the best selling female recording artist as well as top grossing solo/female artist tour if she continues 1989 World Tour.
    You're full of hyperbole, you are.

She's done about $350m of ticket sales since she started touring in 2009. That's a great total for a Country Music performer. Madonna did nearly that on her last tour alone. With a to date career tour gross of over $1.2 billion, and her next tour almost certain to be a sell-out - it's just not going to happen. The only person in reach of Madge is Céline [who's done over $1.1 billion in touring gross so far].

The sales argument is also a weak one - especially when you consdier the disparity between albums and singles sales.
    Well, sales aren't just about album sales, are they? She has sold close to 80m digital singles in US alone. With albums, she sold around 100m records "only" in US, since the beginning of her career. Her career is just building internationally, meaning she has a lot of room to grow. As for tour, i wasn't talking about all time top grossing female touring artist.1989 Tour is doing amazing and if she extends this tour (considering she went to very few places in Europe, plus yet to go Australia/New Zealand and Asian countries), she'll have the top female tour. And from the younger generation, only Taylor is a potential candidate for M's crown.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    You're full of hyperbole, you are.

She's done about $350m of ticket sales since she started touring in 2009. That's a great total for a Country Music performer. Madonna did nearly that on her last tour alone. With a to date career tour gross of over $1.2 billion, and her next tour almost certain to be a sell-out - it's just not going to happen. The only person in reach of Madge is Céline [who's done over $1.1 billion in touring gross so far].

The sales argument is also a weak one - especially when you consdier the disparity between albums and singles sales.

Leave a comment:

• Carbon
    replied
    Originally posted by ArmyOfMe
    Originally posted by mrlemonade
    becky g needs to drop that album full of bops like Can't Stop Dancing, I need ittttt
    Who are you and What have you done to Nikola
    listen to it again it's so good. like it has this whole sensual-summer-breeze-light-chill production and mood and it's just hnnng

Leave a comment:

• Era
    replied
    We be luhhing we be luhhing so hardddd

Leave a comment:

• ArmyOfMe
    replied
    Originally posted by mrlemonade
    becky g needs to drop that album full of bops like Can't Stop Dancing, I need ittttt
    Who are you and What have you done to Nikola

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied
    I love Becky G

Leave a comment:

• theArmy
    replied
    danhsing in the mirra, singin in da showa

Leave a comment:

• toni_pest
    replied
    Im still im still becky from the block

Leave a comment:

• Carbon
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Shorty
    replied
    I just went to Martha's Backyard (American food store down the road from my house) and the guy who served me was really cute. I also think he was flirting with me He talked to me as he was serving me, he asked me how I was and even made a dorky joke And at the end he said "see you next time", when usually the people in that place don't say anything like that haha. He didn't ask the person in front of me in the line or the one behind me how they were or talk to them as much, so I'm SURE he was hitting on me LOL.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X