X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heppolo
    replied
    Originally posted by NormiMalone View Post
    Mabel's got some huge shoes to fill, Neneh is an absolute goddess! This woman discovered Massive Attack and put the whole Bristol scene on the global map in the process---the Godmother of Trip-hop! Broken Politics was one of my favorite albums of 2018, still listen to it regularly. I am seeing her at the Hollywood Bowl in a couple of weeks, very very excited. I was thinking of starting a thread for her, she deserves it
    The whole Cherry family lives music for three generations already, so Mabel's lucky current teenagers barely have any clue.

Leave a comment:

• NormiMalone
    replied

I still don't know why this wasn't at least Top 10 in America, when it was a smash practically everywhere else. We're dumb like that sometimes.

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied
    Originally posted by beredy View Post
    Buffalo Stance is a classic!
    "Manchild" was awesome as well.

Leave a comment:

• beredy
    replied
    [MENTION=23043]heppolo[/MENTION] Buffalo Stance is a classic!

Leave a comment:

• NormiMalone
    replied
    Originally posted by heppolo View Post

I wish Mabel at least tried to be as edgy as Neneh used to be when she started (Neneh still is quite edgy).
    Mabel's got some huge shoes to fill, Neneh is an absolute goddess! This woman discovered Massive Attack and put the whole Bristol scene on the global map in the process---the Godmother of Trip-hop! Broken Politics was one of my favorite albums of 2018, still listen to it regularly. I am seeing her at the Hollywood Bowl in a couple of weeks, very very excited. I was thinking of starting a thread for her, she deserves it

Leave a comment:

• WEBofDESIRE
    replied
    Originally posted by Hejira View Post
    I was reminded of this song by [MENTION=28072]beredy[/MENTION] (in the Madonna thread).

Delta's debut album was so freaking amazing and I loved witnessing her progress during the years. Love her voice, music and artistry.
    Interesting YT channel, the average tween vlogger gets more views than this. Where is she most popular at?

Leave a comment:

• Hejira
    replied

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied

I wish Mabel at least tried to be as edgy as Neneh used to be when she started (Neneh still is quite edgy).

Leave a comment:

• beredy
    replied
    Originally posted by Hejira View Post
    I was reminded of this song by [MENTION=28072]beredy[/MENTION] (in the Madonna thread).

Leave a comment:

• beredy
    replied
    Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
    Yep. Because I have my own criteria and personality
    You should be more sure in yourself then and not fall back upon "It won an award!" as some kind of an argument. Especially because you arbitrarily give those same awards based on your personal liking of the material in question.

It feels like a crutch a healthy person uses to try and win a seat in the bus because people won't go after a disabled person.

Leave a comment:

• Hejira
    replied

Delta's debut album was so freaking amazing and I loved witnessing her progress during the years. Love her voice, music and artistry.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    So basically... Oscars are only valid as some kind of measure/argument when it suits you. Quelle surprise!
    Yep. Because I have my own criteria and personality, I like what I like and I will be glad when something or someone I consider deserving gets an Award (you know, it's called empathy and sympathy, capacities that Non-psycopahts and Non-Sociopaths have). But that doesn't necessarily mean that I will agree with everything they do, sometimes I don't agree yet I'm not holding anything against them either.
    Last edited by MrLeonix; Mon August 26, 2019, 19:50.

Leave a comment:

• beredy
    replied
    So basically... Oscars are only valid as some kind of measure/argument when it suits you. Quelle surprise!

Leave a comment:

• NormiMalone
    replied
    Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
    I sense some ratchet moments brewing.
    Here for it

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    LOL. Well, can't wait to see what's your favorite movie of the year when it wins an Oscar in February 2020. Obviously that's the only measure you value. Do you cry to your friends when they don't agree with you with arguments like "Oh, it won an Oscar!" "Oh, it won a Grammy!", "Oh, it's 93% on RT!". So funny of that validates things for you.
    Actually that's not the only meassure I value. I personally HATED "The Shape Of Water", and that film won the Oscar for "Best Picture" a couple shows ago. Also I haven't agreed with every winning film or actor but I do genuinly think Julia Roberts did a good job and deserved the accolade, on the other hand I don't think Jennifer Lawrence really deserved an Oscar for "Silver linings playbook". Gwyneth Paltrow for "Shakespeare In Love" was also a terrible winner for me.

So It's not really about the Oscars, it's just that I'll give credit and applaud when it's due and when I feel it's deserving.

Leave a comment:

• BeeBoy
    replied
    Originally posted by aRat View Post
    I already donated as well love how he completely devotes his social media to climate

Leave a comment:

• beredy
    replied
    LOL. Well, can't wait to see what's your favorite movie of the year when it wins an Oscar in February 2020. Obviously that's the only measure you value. Do you cry to your friends when they don't agree with you with arguments like "Oh, it won an Oscar!" "Oh, it won a Grammy!", "Oh, it's 93% on RT!". So funny of that validates things for you.

Some people don't need aggregated numbers from other people to form opinions.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    I don't understand what exactly are you trying to say. You only seem to base this conversation on popularity, when I keep telling you there are many things behind the scenes that impact nominations and wins. Some years Oscars go for a nice Hollywood story and awards its darlings (Julia). Other years they go for blockbusters who impacted and changed how the big game is run (Titanic, LOTR). Other years they pretend to be socially, politically and gender aware (Swank, Moonlight, Bigelow for instance). You can keep pretending Oscars award the best of the year, but they are just as scripted in a lot of ways as the movies they award.
    Look, if you're mad because I put you in your place with the LOTR's discussion or because Madonna never won an Oscar with those sh*tty movies she did then hold it against life, not against the Academy or me.

Leave a comment:

• aRat
    replied
    Leonardo DiCaprio launches fund to tackle Amazon fires

Yahs such a benovelent daddy

Leave a comment:

• beredy
    replied
    I don't understand what exactly are you trying to say. You only seem to base this conversation on popularity, when I keep telling you there are many things behind the scenes that impact nominations and wins. Some years Oscars go for a nice Hollywood story and awards its darlings (Julia). Other years they go for blockbusters who impacted and changed how the big game is run (Titanic, LOTR). Other years they pretend to be socially, politically and gender aware (Swank, Moonlight, Bigelow for instance). You can keep pretending Oscars award the best of the year, but they are just as scripted in a lot of ways as the movies they award.

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied
    I sense some ratchet moments brewing.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Yeah sure let's forget how a then unknown, nobody and obscure actress Hilary Swank won an Oscar over Meryl Streep back in 2000 with a film that barely grossed $20million WW and that was also competing to Anette Benning for "American Beauty" ($356million at the box office).

But believe she won it based on the performance (or anyone else) alone if you like.

I firmly believe she won because she did a good job. Simple.
    Last edited by MrLeonix; Mon August 26, 2019, 19:03.

Leave a comment:

• beredy
    replied
    Believe what you want. Popularity, lobbying, campaigning is more important for an Oscar win than the quality of the movie/performance. Always has been and always will be. It's a well known fact. It's one click away how studios try to push their contenders on the Oscars. There are many ways they "promote" (buy votes) during the voting season.

To believe like Julia (or anyone else in any other year, so you don't think I'm just picking on Julia here - it's just an Oscar thing) won based solely on her performance and not any other outside factor is delusional. She had such an Oscar bait role.in many aspects - true story, lower middle class female against the system, single mother, she was a Hollywood darling at the time, movie from the most current director at the time (Soderbergh had two BP contenders that year and also two BD noms!!)...

But believe she won it based on the performance (or anyone else) alone if you like. There are many actors and actresses and directors who were amazing and influential and big part of movie history, yet they never won an Oscar. On the other hand some Oscar winners were baffling at the time of their win and are especially baffling after some time has passed. The reason they won - they played behind the scenes game best that year. Because that's how you win an Oscar.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Yeah. They award popularity between the voters and studios. It's probably the most engineered award there is actually. Do yourself a favor and Google about the whole system a bit and its history. You'll see it's anything BUT realistic.
    They do not award popularity. Otherwise Julia would have beaten Kathy Bates in 1991 given the fact that her role in "Pretty Woman" was miles more popular ($463million at the Box Office) than Kathy's role in "Misery" ($61million at the Box Office).

Also they have never nominated Box-office darling Scarlet Johansson to an Oscar. Guess why? because her grossing, money earnings and list of hit films is irrelevant for them.

Leave a comment:

• beredy
    replied
    Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
    And The Academy awards talented actors, not popularity. In case you didn't know Meg Ryan (who was basically Julia's major peer of the 90s and another "America's Sweetheart") was never nominated or considered at the Oscars.
    Yeah. They award popularity between the voters and studios. It's probably the most engineered award there is actually. Do yourself a favor and Google about the whole system a bit and its history. You'll see it's anything BUT realistic.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X