X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
    What makes an artist an icon? Do you guys consider Rihanna an icon?
    For me, there are 6 key variables that identify a "True Music Icon". Also I would like to say that IMO "Icons" and "Legends" are not always the same thing, they're very related and some artists can be both, but I also think there are legends that are not necessarily icons, and there are icons that are not necessarily legends.

For me an "Icon" is a symbol, and specifically an Icon is for the masses. That is a crutial thing, an Icon is for the masses, it's a public staple.

Of course this is very subjective and everyone has a different way to perceive icons, so I want to clarify that this is only my personal opinion which I'm not intending to pass as a fact. Having said that, the 6 variables for me are:

1) Extreme Success: Reaching the masses plays a huge part and those artists who've founded unreal success, I don't mean ordinary or just good success, I mean out of this world success, imagine something out of proportions, success enough to be considered historic causing direct placements on the All Time lists. Any music artist that was or is able to achieve that can be considered as someone who generated a true movement in music, so that's one variable for me, but for sure NOT the only one.

2) Multiple Classic Songs: This is vital for me, any Icon should have anthems, iconic and classic songs but there's a tricky part with this, having one or two classic songs is not really enough for me, technically a one hit wonder could have that, so for me the minimum / the limit is that the "Iconic" artist should have AT LEAST 3 songs that are total staples in music, 3 huge songs that are known by the masses, the more classic songs an artist has the more recurrent his name will be in the music field and artists who meet this variable pretty much have a permanent signature in the music industry through their songs.

3) Iconic Performances: This one is very important to me when considering a true icon, there has to be a major stage moment, like a very impactful performance, it could be either a very acclaimed performance or a very famous performance that ended up becoming a solid part of pop culture, a true icon must have a live or stage moment that the masses will easily identify or remember for years and decades.

4) The face of a decade: A "true icon" is so cemented among the masses that it's often impossible to disassociate their names with one specific decade, this variable is pretty mandatory for me, the artist in order to be considered an icon needs to be basically a synonymous of a decade, a generation or a moment in history and you shouldn't be able to think of music from that decade without either thinking or being aware of this artist, like it's really hard to think about music from the 60s without thinking of The Bealtes, or it's hard to think about music from the 80's without thinking of Michael or Madonna. So in a way an Icon is one of the faces of a decade.

5) Signature looks, outfits, features or music videos: I'm trying to cover every single aspect of an Icon (success, music, performances, generational impact) and this one is the superficial variable that has to do with the Icon's visual aspect and how it translates into the masses psyche, I could name Elvis Presley and everyone will inmediatley identify his jumpsuit and hairstyle, or I can name Madonna and people will picture her wedding dress or conical bra, It doesn't seem to be as important but it does play a huge part because an Icon is a symbol and it should be like seeing a coin, or the Hollywood sign, or the Mona Lisa, something visual that is extremely familiar with the masses and stays and lives there forever as a permanent / indelible memory.

6) Very strong Legacy: this is the final variable for me and it's sort of a consequence of the previous 5, because of all of the other mentioned variables and the very famous songs, iconic performances and huge achievements true icons generally tend to develope very strong legacies that translate into cult-following, powerful catalogues of music and shows that will always be profitable based on their legacy, etc. They get trapped inside of the pop culture forever and people can't just forget them that easily.

--

This is my opinion, I personally think that any artist that gets at least 4 out of the 6 variables can be considered an icon, I don't have a solid rate for Rihanna yet (she's probably a 3/6 , so she's half there) but I could tell you that the likes of Madonna or Michael are 6/6 perfect level icons for me.

Leave a comment:

• BeeBoy
    replied
    Are we ignoring the fact that she also covoered Anne-Marie? Does this really mean they hate each other? She probably wanted to make it look like she is in good company with Adele

Leave a comment:

• Serby
    replied
    Enna I oop-

Worth mentioning that the homophobic slur puto derived from the word puta.

Leave a comment:

• urbanmusik
    replied
    Originally posted by aRat View Post
    Let's forget about societal problems for a moment and focus on important things:

Puta Ora posted this on Instagram bragging about her album streams and she covered Dua Lipa's (who is actually #1 on that list) name and face with text and a celebration meme:

This petty bitch is still super pressed about Dua's success even after she tried to sabotage Dua when she was starting out.

I hope Dua claps back hard at this hateful & bothered bitch. It's time for her to have her "good luck bookin that stage u speak of" moment and show Puta Ora where her place is. I mean Puta is like a small fry compared to GODua.
    Misogynistic language such as puta isnít acceptable on ukmix, and if you continue to normalise this kind of way of speaking about women by using it youíll get an infraction.

Leave a comment:

• Serby
    replied
    She defines iconic tbh.

Leave a comment:

• Serby
    replied
    [MENTION=17831]CrazyCrazy[/MENTION]

Do you think it's sometimes possible to not be aware of your own oppression? I know plenty of gay people who are trapped into heterosexist way of thinking and think they should not express affection in public (for sake of being the 'good' ones) or who still look down on themselves (subconsciously) and fall for all the 'I'm not homophobic, but...'. Basically, anyone who doesn't realise that they don't need the approval of str8s for them to be valid and are being tokenized by people trying to push their discriminatory views etc?

Other question is, is there a reason why you value more the opinion of those who see no problem happening (their class status could play a role there). What would it mean if the problem is really as serious as many say it is and what if they are overdoing it? What would be the outcome or their possible hidden agenda iyo?

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    [MENTION=17831]CrazyCrazy[/MENTION]: Discussing politics in forums is a fickle thing, in most cases leading to disagreements. However, I believe that certain parts of the population (not a demographic as a well, but some people within it) tend to play the victim too often and this is not getting them to achieve improvements in their individual life situations. I believe that they will be able to reach that if they deliver good work, prove to be ambitious and are good persons. For example: the gender gap thing. You wrote correctly that life perspectives may differ, but my personal opinion is that in the long run, a woman giving her best at the job at a constant rate is getting her further professionally than complaining about women's discrimination at the workplace or solely relying on a gender quota that needs to be matched. I made the experience myself that complaining is easy, but does it really change things? Being honest, it hardly does - it only gets you an ugly image and you can surely miss out on that, right?

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    I hate Rita Ora, I can’t stand her. So Dua Lipa has my vote by default, and yeah I definitely think Dua is wiping the floor with Rita.

Dua Lipa >>>

Leave a comment:

• CrazyCrazy
    replied
    I know plenty of black people/asian people who do not feel this oppression that they are supposedly subjected to (maybe they are privileged?) and the gender pay gap has been debunked and doesn’t take into account different life choices women make (ie maternity leave etc, different hours, job types) part time workers tend to be female too which is also not explained when stating the overall average gap, that’s not to say that there aren’t employers who are sexist and are doing something illegal but it’s not really the epidemic some people make it out to be from what I can make out.

This video of “liberals” being ignorant, there are so many of these cringey videos on youtube

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied
    Originally posted by MusicRecords View Post
    That’s how it starts, first she was feeding off Duas rejects and now she’s desperate so trying to attach herself to collars #flop
    Sorry for you sis, the way you stan and think is pathetic.

There's room for both ladies, there's no need to bring one down while stanning for the other.

Leave a comment:

• MusicRecords
    replied
    You wish

She just released a bop with Tiesto and her collab with Kygo is great
    That’s how it starts, first she was feeding off Duas rejects and now she’s desperate so trying to attach herself to collars #flop

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied
    Dua cancelled her career so bops are over
    You wish

She just released a bop with Tiesto and her collab with Kygo is great

Leave a comment:

• MusicRecords
    replied
    That's her problem, not mine

As long as she delivers those bops, i'll like her
    Dua cancelled her career so bops are over

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied
    U might not care but Rita certainly does that’s why she’s all butthurt and jealous
    That's her problem, not mine

As long as she delivers those bops, i'll like her

Leave a comment:

• MusicRecords
    replied
    I don't care about success, i'd take Rita Ora over Dua Lipa any day. Everything Rita released (solo songs or features) are on fire lately.
    U might not care but Rita certainly does thatís why sheís all butthurt and jealous

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied
    I don't care about success, i'd take Rita Ora over Dua Lipa any day. Everything Rita released (solo songs or features) are on fire lately.

Leave a comment:

• DnBLover
    replied
    Originally posted by Rihab View Post
    If you two geniuses seriously believe this, I'd invite you to come work as a male kindergarten or elementary school teacher for a week. Sexism against men (and even young boys) is VERY real. Just because you haven't (consciously) experienced it yourselves, doesn't mean it's not an issue. Ignorant af.
    Both of them suffer the effects of sexism but it's a pointless discussion because it will always end up with who is the biggest victim. They don't understand how men (and women) are sexist among each other.

Leave a comment:

• MusicRecords
    replied
    Originally posted by Bellus View Post
    I guess it's never really over.

Leave a comment:

• Bellus
    replied
    I guess it's never really over.

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied
    When you speak something like “male equality” into existence, you’re putting it on the same level as everything else, and you can’t pick and choose where something like that ranks in contrast to other groups because there is no comparison.

Being colored and a male myself, race issues are just as important as women’s issues, which are equally important to LGBTQ conflicts.

Leave a comment:

• flopho
    replied
    His argument was simply that it exists, not that it's at the same level tho?

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied
    Yeah - I’m positive it affects them on the same level as colored people are affected by oppression, or unfair wage practices against women.

Sure Hillary.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    Originally posted by Serby View Post
    There's no sexism against men.
    Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
    !!! Thereís no such thing as discrimination against a majority - Whether itís straight people, men or the entitled and privileged, itís a senseless argument.
    If you two geniuses seriously believe this, I'd invite you to come work as a male kindergarten or elementary school teacher for a week. Sexism against men (and even young boys) is VERY real. Just because you haven't (consciously) experienced it yourselves, doesn't mean it's not an issue. Ignorant af.

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied
    Originally posted by Serby View Post
    There's no sexism against men. Ofc you do get a say and stand up for something, as in support someone, but not to deny their remarks.
    !!! There’s no such thing as discrimination against a majority - Whether it’s straight people, men or the entitled and privileged, it’s a senseless argument.
    Last edited by Goldmoney; Sun June 2, 2019, 22:20.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X