• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose
    replied
    Originally posted by Erotica
    Originally posted by Loose
    My taste in movies drastically changed. I used to love horror movies, now I can’t bear them.

I‘ve become a stan for great comedy though which I never liked before.

Still hate German movies & actors. That hasn’t changed.
    I am not a fan of German movies too. Not many I like.
    The acting always falls completely flat for me, especially when there are emotions displayed.

It mostly feels forced and over the top - the cry your heart out kind of way.

Leave a comment:

• Erotica
    replied
    Originally posted by Loose
    My taste in movies drastically changed. I used to love horror movies, now I can’t bear them.

I am not a fan of German movies too. Not many I like.

Leave a comment:

• Preyoncé
    replied
    For those who voted for Brexit (yay/nay), would you change your vote now?

Leave a comment:

• DnBLover
    replied
    Originally posted by BeeBoy
    Has anyone of you a recommendation for a Website or app to learn foreign languages, in my particular case spanish? I already know stuff from school but it got worse over the years, so not a beginner but less than advanced
    Duolingo and Memrise, two apps I know of.

Leave a comment:

• BeeBoy
    replied
    Re: The Random Thought Thread

Has anyone of you a recommendation for a Website or app to learn foreign languages, in my particular case spanish? I already know stuff from school but it got worse over the years, so not a beginner but less than advanced

Leave a comment:

• Loose
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DnBLover
    replied
    Originally posted by Rihab
    Originally posted by aRat

Also, the NYT are great at investigative journalism, but they don't conduct their own medical studies. If what you're saying about that study is true, then it's the scientists / university who messed up, not the NYT.
    Newspapers are notorius for misinterpreting and twisting the meaning of the results of a study to fit their agenda, for sensationalism or to cause controversy. Often times the journalists simply don't undertand the study since they do not possess a scientific background.
    True, but according to DnBLover the study itself is bull, not just the article based on the study.

I've neither read the article nor the study, so idk. I just think we should be careful before we blame the 'left-wing mainstream media!!1!1!' for everything.
    I follow a bunch of left-leaning media outlets and I've seen a progression in the matter.

The NYT does have accountability here, in my view. The article was written by the main author of the scientific study. Its claim was quite impressive as it goes against the current state of knowledge, so I was surprised to read it. But then I opened the link to the scientific paper, published in a highly respectable journal, and the first thing I noticed was that it dated back to 2015! Ok, sure but how come this wasn't publicized first. The second thing I noticed were 4 letters by separate research groups in response to this paper. All of them discrediting the paper and pointing out different flaws in the paper. This was right under the title of the paper, as journals are obliged to do so.
    This is an issue I have with the scientific system, in which studies with known flaws are not taken back, but rather they are left to propagate misinformation.

I blame the NYT for not having checked if a paper from 2015 already had responses, and it was quite easily verifiable. I hold it to the highest standard of journalism and would expect no less.

I had to stop following The Guardian for instance, for so much sensationalist and stupid bs. It really pained me because they did have great journalism at times.

Leave a comment:

• Preyoncé
    replied
    Originally posted by biscuits
    Discuss in the Rihanna thread pls
    That’s from 2012

Leave a comment:

• TIfan
    replied

Here's a video from 1911 with sound added. This really blew my mind.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aohXOpKtns0

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    Originally posted by aRat

Also, the NYT are great at investigative journalism, but they don't conduct their own medical studies. If what you're saying about that study is true, then it's the scientists / university who messed up, not the NYT.
    Newspapers are notorius for misinterpreting and twisting the meaning of the results of a study to fit their agenda, for sensationalism or to cause controversy. Often times the journalists simply don't undertand the study since they do not possess a scientific background.
    True, but according to DnBLover the study itself is bull, not just the article based on the study.

I've neither read the article nor the study, so idk. I just think we should be careful before we blame the 'left-wing mainstream media!!1!1!' for everything.

Leave a comment:

• aRat
    replied

Newspapers are notorius for misinterpreting and twisting the meaning of the results of a study to fit their agenda, for sensationalism or to cause controversy. Also, very often journalists simply don't undertand the study since they do not possess the needed scientific background.

Leave a comment:

• aRat
    replied

Yeah most of the time when people talk about equality they mean equality of opportunity and equal rights.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    When people talk about men and women being 'equal', they usually mean equal before the law, not 'biologically identical'. You shouldn't really have to check the NYT's sources or people's brains to know that that's not the case. Just check a little south of their belly button.

Leave a comment:

• DnBLover
    replied
    I get really annoyed with left media regarding some issues these days.

Something I've stated multiple times is the gender and sex confusion. I can't believe people are getting to choose to identify with whomever they want and that physically changes who they are. Rather than accepting individuality and plurality among each sex, it is now accepted to further push people into boxes. For instance, it is ironic when males are starting to compete in female sports, and crushing it for obvious reasons, while previously females were banned from having high testosterone levels (eg. Casper Semenya). Obviously females cannot compete with males, and in some sports are still fighting to get equality (like in race walk where 50km for females is still not an Olympic event).

One other issue that annoys me is "men are equal to females". I've just read a NYT Opinion article on how the male and female brain are not distinguishable, so they are the same! But then I checked the source, and it leads to a study which has been debunked for improper analysis and wrong conclusions, and actually the data in that study when properly analysed shows how different male and female brains are.

It serves no one to think men and women are the same. No we are not. We have different bodies and different brains. Medically, men are more vulnerable to certain diseases compared to females, for instance. On average, men show some behaviours more than females, and are better at some things and worse in others (first you need to grasp statistical distributions though). We should embrace and value our differences, it is as simple as that. We should push for equality of opportunities, but in no way we are the same. Stop pushing this shit.

When I was young, I looked at media like some sort of holy grail of the truth. But literally these days I find no media outlet which is actually unbiased and triple checks their sources. It's all about the controversy.

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied

Luke Evans is a hot daddy.

Leave a comment:

• aRat
    replied

George Ezra is so cute. Husband material.

Leave a comment:

• aRat
    replied
    [youtube:2br4h5xp]Jd6HfKGTIIY[/youtube:2br4h5xp]

Leave a comment:

• Colbie
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Serby
    replied

F you.

Leave a comment:

• aRat
    replied
    Originally posted by thankfulforkelly
    [tweet:2lpr5nkn]https://twitter.com/chuuzus/status/1084481527231201280[/tweet:2lpr5nkn]
    Nice try, it would have been believable if it was about socks.

Leave a comment:

• BeeBoy
    replied
    Yaaas Lord!!
    Edit: [spoiler:2qgnw8on]I hate you [/spoiler:2qgnw8on]

Leave a comment:

• biscuits
    replied

Discuss in the Rihanna thread pls

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied

Yasss at Queen Gaga snatching Best Actress award @ Critics Choice Awards. It confirmed her Oscar nomination. Haters gonna seethe.

Leave a comment:

• MusicRecords
    replied
    He’s so tall and handsome as fkkkkkkkkkk
    He’s so bad but he does it so welllllll

Leave a comment:

• Bellus
    replied
    Originally posted by Gravity
    Originally posted by Colbie
    I'm thinking of hosting a new season of The Song Collectors... anyone interested in participating?
    Yes!
    I think a lot of people enjoy Song Collectors and it has a strong legacy in UKmix. So I would support that a new season .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X