X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RayRay
    replied
    Originally posted by heppolo
    A-ha, Savage Garden, Roxette had to move to UK or U.S. to make it at least temporarily. It's not that ABBA were singing in Swedish at the peak of their success. Even ''Despacito'' needed Justin Bieber to become a real smash and ''Macarena'' needed some English lyrics.
    I think only some novelty songs managed to bypass the language barrier and the U.S. monopolistic stronghold on global showbiz, like ''Gangnam Style'', ''Dragostea Din Tei'', ''Rock Me Amadeus''. And those were the most throwaway songs I can imagine, appealing to that sense of humour and stereotypes about silly foreigners.
    But isn't it only natural that most people want to understand what is sung? You may have noticed there have been at least six different languages in my charts of 2018. Still, I wouldn't like to listen to a language I don't understand at all. Lyrics are very important for me to like a song.
    Also, I get the feeling you like songs because they are obscure and hate songs that are popular. I try to be open to anything. I love popular songs, but probably 90 songs of my 100 most scrobbled songs of 2018 haven't been in the charts.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    But heppolo’s attacks on these successful women always seem to centre on a supposed disparity between their success/talent as compared to other people who don’t have the same level of success.
    The real disparity is between U.S.-based artists unchallenged access to the global market in comparison with the rest and it matters more than their talent/skills/artistry.
    I don't only attack women, U.S. male pop singers, urban artists and rock bands are 99% throwaway light entertainment acts who also deserve about 10% of their success, not much difference from those divas. The least common denominator U.S. showbiz should be put to shame on a daily basis.
    But who is to judge what is throwaway music?
    I still listen to almost anything Madonna and Mariah released years ago. It's that good.

Leave a comment:

• CelinetoBarbra
    replied
    Originally posted by TIfan
    I'm Bored...

Using MJDangerous figures, here are the Top 10 selling female artist of All-Time (has not been updated) PHYSCIAL & DIGITAL SALES PURE SALES.
    Figures will be rounded to the nearest 5. His actual figures will be in parenthesis ()

1. Madonna= 320,000,000 (316,210,000)
    2. Rihanna= 290,000,000 (287,780,000)
    3. Celine Dion= 240,000,000 (237,665,000)
    4. Mariah Carey= 235,000,000 (231,395,000)
    5. Whitney Houston= 215,000,000 (212,000,000)
    6. Beyonce= 205,000,000 (204,590,000)
    7. Taylor Swift= 200,000,000 (199,190,000)
    8. Barbra Streisand= 180,000,000 (177,540,000)
    8. Britney Spears= 180,000,000 (177,410,000)
    10. Adele= 160,000,000 (159,525,000)

Gaga and Katy are both barely missing out. I do believe Gaga is very close with her soundtrack, which has not been included. Although Celine is an album seller, Mariah can pass her in a few years with her mega hit AIWFCIY. I did not realize how close Celine and Mariah were with total record sales, but these are not my figures. MJDangerous.
    https://chartmasters.org/2017/10/best-s ... ll-time/2/
    How could a album equal as a phy single or dig single?

Leave a comment:

• CandyShop
    replied
    Originally posted by spiritboy
    Originally posted by MrLeonix
    Originally posted by RayRay
    Mariah is not as much of a great vocalist / singer these days tho
    You must have missed her Christmas shows. I saw her last month in Amsterdam and she was amazing.
    She won't ever be half the vocalist she was during early 90s RayRay ...

... Anyways, I think her "Rainbow" album is quite underrated.
    Every artists has its time and peak. At least Mariah is releasing respectable music.

Madonna on the other hand has become a joke, both with her attitude and her music. It's sad that young generation know her as a 60 year old has been who is trying to compete with younger girls. Madonna has so much in her but sadly she doesn't make the effort.

We get it hun...

Even from nowhere and when isn’t needed u find the chance to repeat the same record all over again literally EVERYWHERE in the forum. Most of the time also becoming quite insulting towards the fans.

I respect your opinion, ( despite the fact u sell it as ultimate truth) but let me tell u that after a while it becomes annoying ; It seems like u have a form of obsession!!!

You can concentrate your time in artist u really appreciate and stop trolling.

Leave a comment:

• LongingHeart
    replied
    You must have missed her Christmas shows. I saw her last month in Amsterdam and she was amazing.
    She won't ever be half the vocalist she was during early 90s RayRay ....
    And even that is way better than all of your faves put together #realdomination

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied
    She won't ever be half the vocalist she was during early 90s RayRay ...

... Anyways, I think her "Rainbow" album is quite underrated.
    Every artists has its time and peak. At least Mariah is releasing respectable music.

Madonna on the other hand has become a joke, both with her attitude and her music. It's sad that young generation know her as a 60 year old has been who is trying to compete with younger girls. Madonna has so much in her but sadly she doesn't make the effort.

Leave a comment:

• Gravity
    replied
    Re: The Random Thought Thread

Not this again...

Leave a comment:

• HouseTargaryen
    replied
    I'm Bored...

Using MJDangerous figures, here are the Top 10 selling female artist of All-Time (has not been updated) PHYSCIAL & DIGITAL SALES PURE SALES.
    Figures will be rounded to the nearest 5. His actual figures will be in parenthesis ()

1. Madonna= 320,000,000 (316,210,000)
    2. Rihanna= 290,000,000 (287,780,000)
    3. Celine Dion= 240,000,000 (237,665,000)
    4. Mariah Carey= 235,000,000 (231,395,000)
    5. Whitney Houston= 215,000,000 (212,000,000)
    6. Beyonce= 205,000,000 (204,590,000)
    7. Taylor Swift= 200,000,000 (199,190,000)
    8. Barbra Streisand= 180,000,000 (177,540,000)
    8. Britney Spears= 180,000,000 (177,410,000)
    10. Adele= 160,000,000 (159,525,000)

Gaga and Katy are both barely missing out. I do believe Gaga is very close with her soundtrack, which has not been included. Although Celine is an album seller, Mariah can pass her in a few years with her mega hit AIWFCIY. I did not realize how close Celine and Mariah were with total record sales, but these are not my figures. MJDangerous.
    https://chartmasters.org/2017/10/best-s ... ll-time/2/

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied
    Originally posted by Goldmoney
    You forgot La Bamba
    La Bamba is truly something else, the ''Watch me naye-naye'' kind of English.
    U.S.mainstream urban music is better represented by MuchDank memes these days, goes straight to the core message of those ''better-than-Mozart'' musicians
    [youtube:3155j3jn]gPDuMaY5HGs[/youtube:3155j3jn]

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied

You forgot La Bamba

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied
    A-ha, Savage Garden, Roxette had to move to UK or U.S. to make it at least temporarily. It's not that ABBA were singing in Swedish at the peak of their success. Even ''Despacito'' needed Justin Bieber to become a real smash and ''Macarena'' needed some English lyrics.
    I think only some novelty songs managed to bypass the language barrier and the U.S. monopolistic stronghold on global showbiz, like ''Gangnam Style'', ''Dragostea Din Tei'', ''Rock Me Amadeus''. And those were the most throwaway songs I can imagine, appealing to that sense of humour and stereotypes about silly foreigners.

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied
    Originally posted by DOSSOME
    But heppolo’s attacks on these successful women always seem to centre on a supposed disparity between their success/talent as compared to other people who don’t have the same level of success.
    The real disparity is between U.S.-based artists unchallenged access to the global market in comparison with the rest and it matters more than their talent/skills/artistry.
    I don't only attack women, U.S. male pop singers, urban artists and rock bands are 99% throwaway light entertainment acts who also deserve about 10% of their success, not much difference from those divas. The least common denominator U.S. showbiz should be put to shame on a daily basis.
    Sure jan
    The real LOL is american throwaway pop for the easily impressed.
    An example: Annie from Norway did a very critically acclaimed electropop bubblegum pop album in the mid 00s, didn't get any promo and her album did nothing commercially as a result.
    10 years later some acts did the same thing and the same sound, occasionally even citing Annie as an influence, earning their quick buck, whereas that album went up by the wayside commercially.

Leave a comment:

• DOSSOME
    replied
    Sure jan

Leave a comment:

• Preyoncé
    replied

I prefer greatest hits or best of compilations where the songs are in chronological order. It’s like a trip down memory lane. Brandy and Blue (UK) are probably the best ones.

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Originally posted by Serby
    Originally posted by Wayne
    How could anyone hope to defy that talent? Mariah is a singers' singer - as good as it gets - and regardless of personal taste, she is the dictionary definition of talented.
    Since when talent defines what we like? Someone could have all the talent on this planet and still be boring, lifeless or simply sing a genre we dislike. Not everything is an attack on someone's talent.
    I never said it was, Serby.

It’s absurd.

Leave a comment:

• Serby
    replied
    Actual human beings
    Aww sis don't be so hard on yourself (no)

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied

Actual human beings

Leave a comment:

• Serby
    replied
    Sis, I wouldn’t call someone else something that I wouldn’t call myself.
    Okay Cardi Z ?

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied

Sis, I wouldn’t call someone else something that I wouldn’t call myself.

Leave a comment:

• Serby
    replied
    Aren’t we all?
    I was more tackling the (unconcious) sexism.

Leave a comment:

• Serby
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne
    How could anyone hope to defy that talent? Mariah is a singers' singer - as good as it gets - and regardless of personal taste, she is the dictionary definition of talented.
    Since when talent defines what we like? Someone could have all the talent on this planet and still be boring, lifeless or simply sing a genre we dislike. Not everything is an attack on someone's talent.

Leave a comment:

• JSparksFan
    replied

It's interesting that Ellen is campaigning for the Oscars to reinstate Kevin Hart as host. The world is weird.

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied

Aren’t we all?

Leave a comment:

• Serby
    replied
    Feminem
    Sis, is this supposed to be offensive? Cuz... Yes, im not fun at parties.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X