• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serby
    replied
    Originally posted by MusicRecords
    Originally posted by Serby
    Wow at not knowing who Agatha is. She feels universal to me tbh and even I read one or maybe 2 books of hers.
    I was obviously joking SerbySerbs, smile a little
    Ugh again. I'm losing my sense of humour/irony I guess.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    Originally posted by RayRay
    My father was a huge Agatha Christie fan. He even bought her books that she wrote under another name.
    Damn that's so cool! does your family still have them? def a treasure
    I'm not sure. My father passed away ten years ago and I don't know if my mother kept them.

Leave a comment:

• Gravity
    replied
    Originally posted by Gravity
    Agatha Christie's books are sooo nostalgic to me...she was one of the first authors I really loved
    Especially the Miss Marple books.
    I actually prefer the Poirot ones the ones from later period, without Hastings, are my favorites.

Leave a comment:

• MusicRecords
    replied
    My father was a huge Agatha Christie fan. He even bought her books that she wrote under another name.
    Damn that's so cool! does your family still have them? def a treasure

Leave a comment:

• MusicRecords
    replied
    Originally posted by Serby
    Wow at not knowing who Agatha is. She feels universal to me tbh and even I read one or maybe 2 books of hers.
    I was obviously joking SerbySerbs, smile a little

Leave a comment:

• JSparksFan
    replied
    Originally posted by TIfan
    I thought JK Rolling was the best selling living author!
    I always thought so, too, but I guess it's just that the Harry Potter series are the best-selling book series of all-time.

Leave a comment:

• Serby
    replied
    And Then There Were None is so good, I could picture it so well in my head, amazing way of writing.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    Re: The Random Thought Thread

Leave a comment:

• Tansike
    replied
    ^what did you smell today though?
    My dinner

Leave a comment:

• Serby
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MusicRecords
    replied
    ^what did you smell today though?

Leave a comment:

• Tansike
    replied
    It's been five days since my surgery and I just was able to smell something for the first time with my nose. Gosh, it was so weird to smell absolutely NOTHING for that long. Funny how something as normal as that can have such a positive impact <3

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Originally posted by menime123
    Well Shakespeare sells because us British folk are forced to study at least 2 of his plays in school

Shakespeare was a genius storyteller but there is absolutely zero education in studying him in school from a book imo. It was only when I started going to the theatre that I fell in love with his work - Iíve seen some amazing actors bring his plays to life (Dame Judi in The Winterís Tale, James McAvoy in Macbeth, Tom Hiddleston in Coriolanus, Benedict Cumberbatch in Hamlet, Kevin Spacey in Richard III) and firmly believe Shakespeare needs to be seen in order to be understood (even the language makes sense 15 minute in).
    I watched Othello at The Globe and found it to be brilliant, however found it pretty tough sitting for so long on the wooden benches.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    Agatha Christie's books are sooo nostalgic to me...she was one of the first authors I really loved
    Especially the Miss Marple books.

Leave a comment:

• menime123
    replied
    Had never heard of Agatha it Barbra before

I think one of my favorite British authors is CS Lewis...the chronicles of Narnia were the first chapter books that I really got into as a child and read entirely.

I couldnít get into Narnia. I was big on Enid Blyton and Roald Dahl as a kid.

Leave a comment:

• menime123
    replied

Well Shakespeare sells because us British folk are forced to study at least 2 of his plays in school

Shakespeare was a genius storyteller but there is absolutely zero education in studying him in school from a book imo. It was only when I started going to the theatre that I fell in love with his work - Iíve seen some amazing actors bring his plays to life (Dame Judi in The Winterís Tale, James McAvoy in Macbeth, Tom Hiddleston in Coriolanus, Benedict Cumberbatch in Hamlet, Kevin Spacey in Richard III) and firmly believe Shakespeare needs to be seen in order to be understood (even the language makes sense 15 minute in).

Leave a comment:

• MusicRecords
    replied
    Had never heard of Agatha it Barbra before

I think one of my favorite British authors is CS Lewis...the chronicles of Narnia were the first chapter books that I really got into as a child and read entirely.

Leave a comment:

• Carbon
    replied
    I've never read Christie, but I've seen a lot of the Poirot movies. Watching them reminds me of lazy Sundays when I was a kid and we'd watch a movie after lunch and chill.

Never heard of Barbara Cartland to be honest, will google her a bit now

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Originally posted by spiritboy
    Barbara Cartland?
    Indeed! She's sold somewhere in the region of 500 million-1 billion copies of her works, mostly about romance!

Mostly amazed by how popular Agatha Christie's works are - she's like The Beatles of fiction.

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied
    Barbara Cartland?
    You googled it
    Nope, i don't have to google to make a guess

Leave a comment:

• MusicRecords
    replied
    Barbara Cartland?
    You googled it

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied

Barbara Cartland?

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Agatha Christie's books are sooo nostalgic to me...she was one of the first authors I really loved, and I started reading her books when I was about 6-7... she's the reason why crime is still my favorite genre
    Agatha Christie is indeed correct!

Her works have also reportedly sold in the region of 2-4 billion copies worldwide (despite having almost 300 years less than Shakespeare) - and despite having died in 1972, her works continue to sell a massive 5 million copies per year these days.

Just B C left...

Leave a comment:

• MusicRecords
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne
    Originally posted by DOSSOME
    Originally posted by Wayne
    I was reading something interesting about Agatha Christie (what else are Saturday evenings for? ) and learned that the three best-selling fiction authors of all-time are from Britain!

Without cheating, anyone care to guess who they are? Initials:

W S
    A C
    B C
    William Shakespeare?
    That is correct, William Shakespeare's works have sold somewhere in the region of 2-4 billion copies.

A C (think crime)
    B C (think romance)
    Isnít AC the Agatha person you mentioned?

Leave a comment:

• Gravity
    replied
    Agatha Christie's books are sooo nostalgic to me...she was one of the first authors I really loved, and I started reading her books when I was about 6-7... she's the reason why crime is still my favorite genre

Leave a comment:

Working...
X