X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stevyy
    replied
    Originally posted by Gravity
    I think that people here (and on other music forums) are completely out of touch with an average music listener today.
    I don't get what you mean. Music has been degenerated by the GP... it has become so much less than it could be. I think the GP has completely forgotten what music can do.

Leave a comment:

• LOVE+FEAR
    replied
    Originally posted by Erotica
    Originally posted by KokoCollino
    Maybe he makes fun of me :( I am not sure
    I just saw this, I did not make fun of you girl
    Ok sorry then :(
    :*

Leave a comment:

• cheapthrills
    replied
    Re: The Random Thought Thread

I have just discovered the Dame Tu Cosita challenge and I am completely obsessed now.

Leave a comment:

• Erotica
    replied
    Originally posted by KokoCollino
    Ok sorry then :(

Leave a comment:

• LOVE+FEAR
    replied

"Dirty Computer" is an amazing album!

Leave a comment:

• LOVE+FEAR
    replied

Leave a comment:

• aRat
    replied
    Originally posted by ArmyOfMe
    ^ You have taste, wow!

Leave a comment:

• ArmyOfMe
    replied

^ You have taste, wow!

Leave a comment:

• aRat
    replied
    [youtube:2atfotz6]uiuk0z8dzXo[/youtube:2atfotz6]

Forget yall dusty divas for a moment and listen to talent.

Leave a comment:

• Erotica
    replied
    Sadly people prefer to buy rubbish from newcomers (or better said stream cause sales aren't worth something today anymore)

Leave a comment:

• Gravity
    replied

I think that people here (and on other music forums) are completely out of touch with an average music listener today.

Leave a comment:

• JSparksFan
    replied
    Originally posted by NothingFails
    I completely give up all hope and faith for popular music when Janelle's Dirty Computer is only projected to open with 37k (30k sales, 7k streams) in the US. That is serious album of the year material that pretty much everyone I'm friends with and talk music with (regardless of urban, rock or indie) loves it and was waiting a long time for Janelle to come back. For an album of this quality to not slay with 100-200k minimum pretty much proves that mainstream music listeners DESERVE their Ed Sheeran and Drake.
    I personally feel that Janelle's album deserves more success, but I think her numbers are in line with most persons' expectations. The ArchAndroid (2010) opened with 21k, and The Electric Lady (2013) debuted with 47k, so 37k is fairly consistent, and, when adjusted for the decline in music sales, it's probably indicative of an increase in relative success. It would be great if the album could have decent longevity, and not freefall in the coming weeks.

I am pleasantly surprised by the overwhelmingly positive reviews, though. The Grammys don't mean much these days, but it'd be cool if this got an AOTY nom.

Leave a comment:

• NothingFails
    replied
    Originally posted by BodyShop
    ^I really don't see why strems shouldn't be converted into sales.
    It's the way music is consumed nowadays. It's a fact,no a subjective opinion.
    streaming a song counts for an album the way watching a trailer on YouTube should be counted into a ticket sold (i.e., Avengers' trailer was viewed so many times that it's opening weekend could've been $325 instead of the 250 million it made in the US because of all the "trailer views that count as tickets sold" adding up). Just my observation. I feel like if the entire album is listened to, then it should be more weighed in vs. people listening to one hit single and ignoring the rest, because even when sales were robust there were many big hit singles that did not translate to a successful album because someone's enjoyment of OMC's How Bizarre or Donna Lewis' I Love You Always Forever didn't immediately mean they cared about the whole album.

Leave a comment:

• NothingFails
    replied

I completely give up all hope and faith for popular music when Janelle's Dirty Computer is only projected to open with 37k (30k sales, 7k streams) in the US. That is serious album of the year material that pretty much everyone I'm friends with and talk music with (regardless of urban, rock or indie) loves it and was waiting a long time for Janelle to come back. For an album of this quality to not slay with 100-200k minimum pretty much proves that mainstream music listeners DESERVE their Ed Sheeran and Drake.

Leave a comment:

• TIfan
    replied

Here's am example... USA

:Albums:
    Gold= $2.5 million in sales/streams
    Platinum= $5 million in sales/streams
    Diamond= $50 million in sales/streams

:Singles:
    Gold= $1 million in sales/streams
    Platinum= $2 million in sales/streams
    Diamond= $20 million in sales/streams

My numbers might be off a bit, but what do you guys think?

Leave a comment:

• TIfan
    replied

I do remember reading that records in the 50s and 60s were certified Gold if they made over $1 million. Maybe they can bring that back or use a similar formula to charts and certs. They can just change the numbers.

Leave a comment:

• LOVE+FEAR
    replied

Streamyy is in his woke era it seems

Leave a comment:

• KEY9481
    replied
    Originally posted by spiritboy
    Streams shouldn't effect album charts. It's ridiculous that an album which barely sells 10k can get #1 spot because of the streams. Imagine Dragons got robbed of that #1 position on BB 200 because of that.
    And many others.
    I can't wait for the musical charts to be gross driven like in Germany / for movies.

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied

Streams shouldn't effect album charts. It's ridiculous that an album which barely sells 10k can get #1 spot because of the streams. Imagine Dragons got robbed of that #1 position on BB 200 because of that.

Leave a comment:

• cheapthrills
    replied

I don't know what a good solution to this is, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize how crazy the set-up is. If I purchase an album, that only counts for one sale on the chart. But I can stream one song off said album on repeat for hours on end and it counts every single one of those times - towards the album chart.

Leave a comment:

• DnBLover
    replied

Yes comparing CD sales with streams makes no sense indeed.
    Converting streams into album sales makes even less sense.

Two different measures, simple as that.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Originally posted by BodyShop
    you cannot merge two different entities and say they are the same. No other industry does it.

I will never give my consent to this way of looking at sales. However, maybe I am blinded by the area I'm living here bc physical sales dominate Germany's music industry and the CD is still mighty popular here.

Leave a comment:

• BodyShop
    replied

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Originally posted by DnBLover
    Originally posted by stevyy
    I still disagree with my original point
    You're the first person to ever disagree with your own self

I disagree with what is being projected and agree with my original point that streams are not equal to sales and shouldn't be transformed into them.

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied
    Originally posted by DnBLover
    Originally posted by stevyy
    I still disagree with my original point
    You're the first person to ever disagree with your own self
    No, there's always Donald Trump for this

Leave a comment:

Working...
X