Originally posted by stevyy
    I still disagree with my original point
    You're the first person to ever disagree with your own self

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Originally posted by heppolo
    Originally posted by Wayne
    After repressing streaming for so long, I cannot believe how much you now love it stevyy.
    What if the streaming is used for the artists he loathes and doesn't want to spend money on?
    I have a premium spotify account... so they get my €9,99 per month...

I think that if you use the service, you should go 100% and pay for it too.

I will continue buying my faves albums.

And it is kind of true, spotify is for those acts that you wouldn't normally buy a CD from... however, it could lead you to discover new acts that you want to buy music from. I'm very close to my first ever Dionne purchase. <3

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    After repressing streaming for so long, I cannot believe how much you now love it stevyy.
    It is so awesome. I still disagree with my original point that streams =/= sales... however... the opportunities are great.

Leave a comment:

• Westen
    replied
    Originally posted by Nippian93
    I like how unpredictable he is.
    Shade

Leave a comment:

• Nippian93
    replied
    Originally posted by RayRay
    What happens when someone is banned?
    Can he/she still read here?
    Yes, you just can't successfully log in. You can still read threads.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    What happens when someone is banned?
    Can he/she still read here?

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied
    What if the streaming is used for the artists he loathes and doesn't want to spend money on?

Leave a comment:

• Serby
    replied
    Originally posted by Nippian93
    This was almost predictable now that I think about it.

Leave a comment:

• Nippian93
    replied
    Re: The Random Thought Thread

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Originally posted by RayRay
    So, I checked for some acts including: Dionne Warwick, Aretha Franklin (both of which I had ignored up to that point), Patti, Gladys Knight, Nina Simone, Chaka Khan, Aaliyah, Lauryn Hill, Joni Mitchell, Melanie Safkat, Linda Ronstadt, Brenda Lee, Nancy Sinatra, Erykah Badu, Cissy Houston...

And I have to say my Top 3 off that batch is very surprising it is: 1. Dionne, 2. Gladys and 3. Aretha. Tremendous evergreens.
    Don't forget Ella Fitzgerald, Martina McBride, Barbra Streisand, Cher, Bette Midler, Linda Eder, Donna Summer, Beverley Craven, Carole King, Lara Fabian, Phylis Hyman...
    The legends I have in my Top 150 are:

24 - 1.368 - Tina Turner
    29 - 0.976 - Barbra Streisand
    45 - 0.396 - Bette Midler
    46 - 0.359 - Dolly Parton
    47 - 0.338 - Carly Simon
    53 - 0.264 - Carole King
    62 - 0.193 - Kate Bush
    63 - 0.178 - Diana Ross
    72 - 0.087 - Shirley Bassey
    73 - 0.079 - Cher
    83 - 0.055 - Donna Summer
    85 - 0.053 - Dionne Warwick
    88 - 0.050 - Aretha Franklin
    90 - 0.044 - Gladys Knight
    101 - 0.024 - Cissy Houston
    102 - 0.024 - Melanie Safka
    104 - 0.022 - Patti Labelle
    108 - 0.022 - Wynonna Judd
    111 - 0.021 - Nina Simone
    112 - 0.019 - Brenda Lee
    114 - 0.019 - Joni Mitchell
    117 - 0.018 - Nancy Sinatra
    123 - 0.017 - Chaka Khan
    133 - 0.015 - Annie Lennox

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    So, I checked for some acts including: Dionne Warwick, Aretha Franklin (both of which I had ignored up to that point), Patti, Gladys Knight, Nina Simone, Chaka Khan, Aaliyah, Lauryn Hill, Joni Mitchell, Melanie Safkat, Linda Ronstadt, Brenda Lee, Nancy Sinatra, Erykah Badu, Cissy Houston...

And I have to say my Top 3 off that batch is very surprising it is: 1. Dionne, 2. Gladys and 3. Aretha. Tremendous evergreens.
    Don't forget Ella Fitzgerald, Martina McBride, Barbra Streisand, Cher, Bette Midler, Linda Eder, Donna Summer, Beverley Craven, Carole King, Lara Fabian, Phylis Hyman...

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    I am so overwhelmed right now.

Spotify gives me so many opprtunities to dive into so many acts careers. I've looked at my 150 most played female acts since 2011 on LastFM and discovered that the lower 40 positions or so are all occupied by former ESC singers... that's awful.
    What's awful about that? A great song is a great song. Just because not everyone can become legendary doesn't mean it's not good.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    There are many awful covers out there, but some beat the original like:

Without You / Mariah Carey
    I Will Always Love You / Whitney Houston
    The Power of Love / Celine Dion
    Bridge Over Troubled Water / Linda Eder
    Yesterday / En Vogue
    I Feel The Earth Move / Martika
    Will You Love Me Tomorrow / Debbie Gibson
    Show Me Heaven / Tina Arena
    Je Suis Malade / Lara Fabian
    Love Don't Live Here Anymore / Madonna
    He Lives In You / Diana Ross
    Lovin' You / Shanice
    A Reason To Believe / Wilson Phillips
    Daniel / Sam Smith
    A Deeper Love / Aretha Franklin
    Absolutely Not / Glennis Grace
    Crazy / Alanis Morissette
    Perfect / Lucie Silvas
    My Prerogative / Britney Spears
    (They Long To Be) Close To You / Carpenters
    Lady Marmelade / Xtina, P!nk, Mya, Lil' Kim
    When You Were Mine / Cyndi Lauper
    Nothing Compares 2 U / Sinéad O'Connor
    Fields of Gold / Eva Cassidy
    My Baby Just Cares For Me / George Michael
    Cry Me A River / Michael Bublé
    Don't Stop Believin' / Glee Cast
    Take My Breath Away / Jessica Simpson
    You Keep Me Hangin' On / Kim Wilde
    The Loco-motion / Kylie Minogue

Leave a comment:

• trebor
    replied
    Spotify gives me so many opprtunities to dive into so many acts careers.
    Have you checked Deezer Hi-Fi out?
    I am sure you have the adequate audio reproduction equipment to fully enjoy it.
    (I'm still considering this option).

Leave a comment:

• TIfan
    replied
    Originally posted by MrLeonix
    Whitney's version worked so well not because of the song's genre but because her atonishing vocal performance of it that got the audience slayed right left and center.
    And we shud not forget that KEVIN COSTNER INSISTED on them recording the song with that famous acapella intro.
    Ummmm, Ooookay!

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Originally posted by MrLeonix
    Whitney's version worked so well not because of the song's genre but because her atonishing vocal performance of it that got the audience slayed right left and center.
    And we shud not forget that KEVIN COSTNER INSISTED on them recording the song with that famous acapella intro.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    I am so overwhelmed right now.

Spotify gives me so many opprtunities to dive into so many acts careers. I've looked at my 150 most played female acts since 2011 on LastFM and discovered that the lower 40 positions or so are all occupied by former ESC singers... that's awful.

Honestly, apart from a HANDFUL inclusions from the past 40 years, the world doesn't need any other female performers than these 1960s, 1970s originals.

OUR youth is musically deprived. I mean it is only natural to have a favourite act and all... but the drive to discover other acts and music is so important...

I'm feeling low key embarrassed for some of my choices in my top 150 female acts.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NothingFails
    replied

True plus at this point in time a lot of people forget that I Will Always Love You was originally a country song when Dolly sang it because Whitney's version worked so well in a different genre.

Leave a comment:

• Gravity
    replied

You can do a lot with great melody. The genre doesn't matter as much.

Leave a comment:

• NothingFails
    replied

I always liked Marilyn Manson's covers because he would take well known songs and completely change them and do a different genre and rework them. I am a huge Eurythmics/Annie Lennox fan and I don't feel any shame in saying his Sweet Dreams blows the original out of the park.

Also loved when Johnny Cash took a lot of alternative rock hits by people like Nine Inch Nails, Soundgarden, Depeche Mode, etc... and gave them a country bent to it and sung them as if he wrote them himself. "Hurt" at this point belongs to Cash, not NIN.

Leave a comment:

• TIfan
    replied

I love when artist show love to others when they do LIVE covers. I don't care too much for Remakes though.
    But mother Whitney slayed all of her remakes...

Leave a comment:

• NothingFails
    replied
    I personally like covers better if the artist doesn't just do a direct carbon copy and actually tries to inject their own stamp on it. So many covers sound like the original with few tweaks, but I like it when someone can radically rework the DNA of the music and make it their own thing. Now if it's being done for a tribute album to a specific artist that is different (like that Elton tribute album where a variety of artists covered his songs and mostly did faithful renditions), but just randomly throwing in your cover of a _____ song as a track on your album or random bonus track is a different thing and works better when you try and do a fresh take on a well known song..

Leave a comment:

• Gravity
    replied
    I'm so glad that the era of releasing covers, especially as singles, is over. And I say that as Mariah stan.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X