• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stevyy
    replied
    Originally posted by NothingFails
    Originally posted by stevyy
    I love that people use the streaming in Rihanna's defense. She came along at a time where album sales still mattered and even back then it wasn't like she was someone who had 5-10 million selling smash albums and now makes it up in streaming. I LMAO'd when someone tried to claim ANTI was more successful than Lemonade because it had hits and streaming points. In the US, Lemonade has SOLD nearly 3x as many copies, so while people were streaming Anti, people were paying $18.99 or higher to own a copy of Bey's album. Which to me is no different than how someone can sell $300 concert tickets and sell out while another has to put their tickets on Groupon to even make ends meet.
    people will bury you with how a large company bought anti copies or digital versions and distributed them for free...

(the same happened to Intensive Care by Robbie which was pre-installed on the SONY Ericsson phone back in 2005, earning him a MILLION selling album in Mexico.)
    Well, every single person with an itunes account had a copy of a U2 album. Top that! LOL
    so they have the biggest selling album in music history right? Some 300 million copies "sold"?

Leave a comment:

• NothingFails
    replied
    I love that people use the streaming in Rihanna's defense. She came along at a time where album sales still mattered and even back then it wasn't like she was someone who had 5-10 million selling smash albums and now makes it up in streaming. I LMAO'd when someone tried to claim ANTI was more successful than Lemonade because it had hits and streaming points. In the US, Lemonade has SOLD nearly 3x as many copies, so while people were streaming Anti, people were paying $18.99 or higher to own a copy of Bey's album. Which to me is no different than how someone can sell $300 concert tickets and sell out while another has to put their tickets on Groupon to even make ends meet.
    people will bury you with how a large company bought anti copies or digital versions and distributed them for free...

(the same happened to Intensive Care by Robbie which was pre-installed on the SONY Ericsson phone back in 2005, earning him a MILLION selling album in Mexico.)
    Well, every single person with an itunes account had a copy of a U2 album. Top that! LOL

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Originally posted by ArmyOfMe
    [*]
    Y'all will keep on pushing that delirious narrative that she's not here to stay even when she eventually becomes the best selling female artist ever...
    yeah... 35m albums... phew the slay.
    Don't get bitter... just get better
    nope context is needed...

artists during the digital age had it so much easier to sell whatever they've sold. Much like older acts were able to sell albums.

once again...

30m albums + 250m digital songs ain't the same as

200m albums + 120m singles

there is a difference, even you must acknowledge that.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ArmyOfMe
    replied
    [*]
    Y'all will keep on pushing that delirious narrative that she's not here to stay even when she eventually becomes the best selling female artist ever...
    Don't get bitter... just get better

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Originally posted by BeeBoy
    Originally posted by Westen
    Originally posted by BlueScorpion
    "American Oxygen" is very underrated. She looked stunning in the video. But people ain't here for political Rihanna, we all want the bops and twek our asses to the ground.
    And that's why her music won't stand the test of time and why people are not buying tickets to see her. She serves bops for this generation, nothing more.
    She already transformed to one of the most successsful streaming artists which confirms her music stands the test of time and her songs won't be forgotten in this new way of consuming music.
    You are right she might not be one of the most successsful touring artist but she doesn't care enough to work hard as a performer. I've been to her tours but 90 minutes of half assed choreo are not enough even with the big Hits she has. But many of the past divas were not touring forces like Mariah Carey or Whitney still they are not forgotten
    please keep Mariah out of the conversation... the girl played like 30 concerts in all of the 1990s. She has done more concerts since 2014 than in all previous years combined. And Mariah has yet to embark on a world tour.

Leave a comment:

• NothingFails
    replied

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    [*]

Leave a comment:

• Westen
    replied
    "American Oxygen" is very underrated. She looked stunning in the video. But people ain't here for political Rihanna, we all want the bops and twek our asses to the ground.
    And that's why her music won't stand the test of time and why people are not buying tickets to see her. She serves bops for this generation, nothing more.
    She already transformed to one of the most successsful streaming artists which confirms her music stands the test of time and her songs won't be forgotten in this new way of consuming music.
    Still same generation. Those who stream are the ones who used to buy 0.69c singles.

Leave a comment:

• BeeBoy
    replied
    You are right she might not be one of the most successsful touring artist but she doesn't care enough to work hard as a performer. I've been to her tours but 90 minutes of half assed choreo are not enough even with the big Hits she has. But many of the past divas were not touring forces like Mariah Carey or Whitney still they are not forgotten

Leave a comment:

• Westen
    replied
    Originally posted by JSparksFan
    ^ I wonder whatever happened to Joao.... he always refused to admit he was wrong when he said Rihanna was going to be forgotten within three years when she was having her first hits, and when he was proven wrong, refused to eat crow about it and stuck to his guns that "well, she won't be remembered in 5/7/10/15/ years" LOL
    Between 2005 and 2006, I could've seen people dismissing Rihanna as a potential one-hit wonder who got lucky with a second hit, but "Umbrella" should have illustrated that she wasn't going to fade quietly into obscurity.
    She didn't got lucky. She was pushed hard by big executives behind her. Other artists were blacklisted or dropped because all the money went towards her push. And she didn't have anything at the time to deserve that kind of money and trust as new singer.
    Even if this is true which i honestly doubt. They definetly did the right thing in retrospective. They sure got every penny back. I would like to know how people always come up with those conspiracy theories about artist they don't like. Illuminati, ghost writers, bought credits und whatnot. Anything to bring successsful people down which are not their fave and if it is turned the other way around they are mad. Sure Madonna has no things going on but all those cruel others :evil:
    Oh really you think that performance of Hero was enough to get the push she did? From Jay-Z himself and we all know how powerful he is behind the scenes

They simply took songs from other artists and gave them to RIhanna (Christina Millian even got dropped when she spoke about it), they invested so much money, they got her 2nd album in less than a year after only one hit etc.

Since you mentioned Madonna, who was behind her? I'd like to know.

Leave a comment:

• BeeBoy
    replied
    ^ I wonder whatever happened to Joao.... he always refused to admit he was wrong when he said Rihanna was going to be forgotten within three years when she was having her first hits, and when he was proven wrong, refused to eat crow about it and stuck to his guns that "well, she won't be remembered in 5/7/10/15/ years" LOL
    Between 2005 and 2006, I could've seen people dismissing Rihanna as a potential one-hit wonder who got lucky with a second hit, but "Umbrella" should have illustrated that she wasn't going to fade quietly into obscurity.
    She didn't got lucky. She was pushed hard by big executives behind her. Other artists were blacklisted or dropped because all the money went towards her push. And she didn't have anything at the time to deserve that kind of money and trust as new singer.
    Even if this is true which i honestly doubt. They definetly did the right thing in retrospective. They sure got every penny back. I would like to know how people always come up with those conspiracy theories about artist they don't like. Illuminati, ghost writers, bought credits und whatnot. Anything to bring successsful people down which are not their fave and if it is turned the other way around they are mad. Sure Madonna has no things going on but all those cruel others :evil:

Leave a comment:

• Westen
    replied
    Nah that won't happen no matter how man free streams or views rihanna fans are counting as sales.

Also, that narrative is based on the fact that people simply don't care enough to pay to see her. You listen her bop for few months for free, you like her pics on instagram, and then what? When she tours, those same people who stream her don't care at all about seeing her... That says a lot.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied

delicious

Leave a comment:

• ArmyOfMe
    replied
    Re: The Random Thought Thread

Leave a comment:

• Westen
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Westen
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Westen
    replied
    Originally posted by hellohello
    Originally posted by Serby
    Can't say I feel sorry for him. Oop.

Mow caan we have this happen to Ed Sheeran? Thanks.
    And Justin Bieber while you're at it.
    Drake first!

Leave a comment:

• NothingFails
    replied

lol.. this would be a perfect time for mxpssfjenrnenewwhwhw to post his comment about JT, Britney and Barbara Walters

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Originally posted by Gravity
    Xtina is definitely legendary. So many people are naming her as an influence. She gave us plenty of iconic pop culture moments.
    he isn't and she hasn't. Her best album: Bionic was dismissed by the public.

Leave a comment:

• Gravity
    replied

Xtina is definitely legendary. So many people are naming her as an influence. She gave us plenty of iconic pop culture moments.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Originally posted by RayRay
    She still got that voice! Love how she goes for it.

That hair though...
    she looks great... but she def did something to her mouth / face in general... she looks different.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied

She still got that voice! Love how she goes for it.

That hair though...

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied

I don't know of a single person that finds Justin to be legendary - he possesses Christina status IMO (neither are legendary). That said, Christina is giving the UKMIX Twitter account a minor hit Tweet:

[tweet:1okf42hq]https://twitter.com/ukmix/status/988787279937331205[/tweet:1okf42hq]

Leave a comment:

• hellohello
    replied
    There is nothing special about JT. I used to like him but he seems very obnoxious and full of himself plus he ain't done enough to be considered a legend. Just because he has been in the music industry for just under 20 years, does not qualify him being a legend.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X