X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nippian93
    replied
    Originally posted by stevyy
    I am ill today... so I went to the doc... and in the waiting room... there were two younger people (maybe around 19/21) and they were consistently on their phones...

I rarely use social media. facebook is so boring.
    Get well soon.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Originally posted by luckyONE
    ^get well soon <3
    DANKE <3

Leave a comment:

• luckyONE
    replied
    Re: The Random Thought Thread

^get well soon <3

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied

I am ill today... so I went to the doc... and in the waiting room... there were two younger people (maybe around 19/21) and they were consistently on their phones...

I rarely use social media. facebook is so boring.

Leave a comment:

• luckyONE
    replied
    I love social media, Instagram is my favorite app. Facebook seems not to be that popular anymore as it was back in 2010-2012 when everyone still posted daily updates...

Instagram is THE app for me because of its many functions: posts, stories (which you can finally save to your profile), text messages,...
    the first thing I check when looking at my phone is not WhatsApp (anymore), no it's Instagram.

I never got into Snapchat and now that Instagram has the stories function, I only use this one for stories.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    Originally posted by thankfulforkelly
    Social media is a disease
    I totally agree if we‘re talking about people who can‘t have a good time / coversation with their real life friends anymore because their eyes are permanently glued to their phone screens, about people who only do things for the sake of posting about it on insta / snapchat / fb, about showing off, attention-seeking, ‘influencers‘ (ugh!!!) and so on... :-?

‘Normal‘, sensible use is fine though. I almost exclusively use those apps when I‘m bored (at university, at work, during lengthy meetings and rehearsals, while alone on the train or the bus...) - in those situations, it can be fun to see what everyone else is up to. And in turn, I sometimes let people know what I‘m up to, but not 20 times a day.
    Last year, my sister went to Australia for 8 months and because of snapchat, it almost felt as if I was with her. Right now, one my best friends is in Barcelona for 6 months and she also keeps us updated through snapchat. I think it’s great we have that technology today. Better than not knowing what‘s going on and having to worry.

Leave a comment:

• LOVE+FEAR
    replied

Sure, social media is party of all of our modern day lives, but I feel like it causes more pain than good because 99% of the people aren't capable of using it in the right way. They got totally lost.

Leave a comment:

• Bellus
    replied
    Originally posted by Goldmoney
    It ruined music too.
    Bit of a reach GM.

Leave a comment:

• Nippian93
    replied
    Originally posted by RayRay
    It can also be a blessing.
    It definitely is both, depends on how amnd how much you use it. Being addicted to social media is definitely a disease, some people have no idea how much time they spend on there every day.

Leave a comment:

• Nippian93
    replied
    Social media is great but some people are doing to much. Glad the unfollow and delete request features exist.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    It can also be a blessing.

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied
    It ruined music too.

Leave a comment:

• Erotica
    replied
    That's true

Leave a comment:

• Hugo
    replied
    Originally posted by ArmyOfMe
    It's a bit depressing.
    Exactly, I know it's not a huge deal, but it's disheartening, I'd be less bothered if I'd gotten the completely reasonable "I forgot to tell you" excuse.

I was seriously wondering if I had gone completely out of the loop, but now I know it's good manners that stayed in the past.

Thanks for understanding guys lol

Leave a comment:

• LOVE+FEAR
    replied

Totally get you Hugo! Sometimes I can't believe how people changed and how blind they've become.

Leave a comment:

• ArmyOfMe
    replied
    Originally posted by Hugo
    So I just sent a few books to a recent acquaintance as a gift via mail and, instead of thanking and telling me through a regular, direct message that the books had arrived and were fine, the person decided to do an instastory... I had to ask, a week later, if everything was ok, because I had no feedback.

The concept of that thing annoys me beyond belief and of course I can't even see the video because it's now gone.

The fact that thanking me personally hasn't even crossed the person's mind upon receiving the gift is very telling, I'm disappointed. The person is a whole decade older than me.
    Oh, don't get me started on that.
    The times I have discovered important stuff from people who are supposed to be "close friends" through social media instead of having them tell me privately
    It's a bit depressing.

Leave a comment:

• NothingFails
    replied

^ oh I can understand that. If you're nice enough to do something like that, the least they can do is show a little gratitude your way.

Leave a comment:

• Hugo
    replied
    So I just sent a few books to a recent acquaintance as a gift via mail and, instead of thanking and telling me through a regular, direct message that the books had arrived and were fine, the person decided to do an instastory... I had to ask, a week later, if everything was ok, because I had no feedback.

The concept of that thing annoys me beyond belief and of course I can't even see the video because it's now gone.

The fact that thanking me personally hasn't even crossed the person's mind upon receiving the gift is very telling, I'm disappointed. The person is a whole decade older than me.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Originally posted by heppolo
    I hope to hear stevyy's view on this. He teaches teenagers.
    that's one tough job
    Oh yeah, teaching teenagers is really ... ehm ... a challenge.

I teach grades 3 / 6 / 7 / 8 in this school year on a Gemeinschaftsschule which is a school for all learning types.

The thing is many kids do not know any boundaries anymore. Today I had to send someone out of my classroom in the 6th grade because he wouldn't stop making jokes / being inattentive. He interrupted the lesson every 2 minutes. I gave him a fair warning and then gave him the consequence.

Another kid had to sit facing the wall the other day because he also couldn't restrain himself and commented everything and everyone that was going on in class.

One time, I had to teach a class because the course's actual teacher was ill. One girl said that she wished for the teacher to die. I mean for a brief second I thought if I could let it pass... but then I realized that such remarks are the absolute worst. We started a whole debate on what the consequences would be of that girl's remarks - if the teacher would actually die. I also gave her an extra task to reflect upon her remark / behaviour which she had to hand in to the teacher who was ill.

Detention is sth I only use when my students don't do their homework. So they have to cutch up on it then.

If I hear racial slurs (which I almost never do) or other defamatory statements... (which I do hear almost every day) I try to work with the kids and reflect those remarks with them.

But heartbreak is the most frequent theme I have to deal with. I even had to calm down and break up 9th graders who were fighting / punching each other (over a girl).

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied
    that's one tough job

Leave a comment:

• BhiveDiva
    replied
    Whatahell was Fergie singing the National Anthem? Jesus... A DISASTER

Leave a comment:

• Bellus
    replied
    I forgot that he does!

+1. Interesting to see his take.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied

Absolutely agree with the view that you don’t apply a one size fits all approach.

I would hope that at the young age of 10, the education system is teaching things like this - so that by the age of 13+, you possess the basic ability to differentiate between something offensive and something not offensive. And detention for those that ignore their basic abilities.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne
    ^ I think talking about it, makes them think more about it than detention.
    Can you not talk about it in a detention?

I get that education is the key to breaking down these barriers but if someone still opts to use that language, they should face a consequence (that comes with the educational side).

Once you’ve reached a certain age, you’ve developed basic decision making skills, you possess the ability to understand the difference between right and wrong.
    I think detention might be better for older kids. I teach 10 year olds. I'd rather talk about it with the whole class, so everybody learns something.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X