X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• menime123
    replied
    Re: The Random Thought Thread

I would never call anyone a retard, not even if I was trying to insult them - itís a vile word.

Leave a comment:

• NothingFails
    replied

I know "retard" has a horrible connotation (especially since referring to mentally handicapped people as "retarded" is outdated like calling a Native American person an "Indian") but never thought moron ever had any sort of offensive term to it.

Leave a comment:

• Serby
    replied

And then we should forbid saying words like moron, retard etc as those are also offensive and official medical terms (or at least used to be).

Leave a comment:

• menime123
    replied
    Originally posted by Guru
    I know what you mean. Kids use the word like any other common bad word. They donít realize the actual context or meaning behind it. They are young and naive. Only maturity will educate them.
    Detention instantly informs them itís unacceptable and gives you a platform to address why imo.

Leave a comment:

• Preyoncť
    replied
    Originally posted by RayRay
    Originally posted by menime123
    ^^ At the school where I teach "homo" is also a word used as an insult. I do talk about it with them and hope I have some influence.

Homophobia is against the law. Detention for the lot of them.
    It's not homophobia. To them it's like any other rude word.
    I know what you mean. Kids use the word like any other common bad word. They donít realize the actual context or meaning behind it. They are young and naive. Only maturity will educate them.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    ^^ At the school where I teach "homo" is also a word used as an insult. I do talk about it with them and hope I have some influence.

It's not homophobia. To them it's like any other rude word.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne
    Originally posted by Nippian93
    My interest in music has never been this low before :(, I hope it changes soon.
    What I love about music is that Iíve only discovered or heard probably less than 0.1% of whatís out there - even if youíre disappointed in chart music, thereís so much more music out there from years gone by.

Itís the main reason I wouldnít be without Spotify now.
    Iíd be lost without Spotify too, but I miss that thrill of discovering something new and following an era. I mean Iím loving JTís new era and album, but I couldnít tell you who the last new artist or new act was that got the music fan in me all excited.
    I follow some people on last.fm and am amazed most of them have only scrobbled like 500 artists. In this day of Spotify! I've scrobbled 1374 different artists in the last two years. And every week I (re)discover others.

For me, some of my favorite artists have already started a new era. So excited 2018 is gonna bring it on!

Leave a comment:

• menime123
    replied

Leave a comment:

• menime123
    replied
    Unfortunately gay marriage isnít dictated by EU law, so no.
    And it shouldn't be.

I know your opinion is based on supremacy of state rather than an objection to gay marriage itself, but the EU has been happy to set laws that govern what 500+ million people eat and drink, where we can live, what we can drive, how energy efficient our light bulbs have to be etc - yet still defines marriage as between a man and a woman.

It is amazing that I can go to the EU courts if I am discriminated against in any way by my country for being gay, but I cannot go to the European courts if my country refuses to offer me the equal right to access marriage. If the UK decided to stop recognising gay marriage tomorrow, the EU have no existing power to prevent this because of the gender bias definition they use.

The US left it up to each state to pass its own laws on gay marriage and in the end made the decision for everyone, regardless of individual state laws. The EU should absolutely have done the same - at least a decade ago, and certainly by 2010.

I find it incredibly disheartening that when the EU get around to changing their definition (as its ultimately inevitable) the UK - who already recognise same sex marriage - will not be in a position to offer weighty support in favour of removing the gender bias.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NothingFails
    replied
    Originally posted by Gravity
    The first month of 2018 is musically already better than the entire 2017, at least to me.
    2018 is off to a good start but Sept/Oct 2017 was pretty damn massive IMO

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Originally posted by Serby
    Originally posted by stevyy
    And it shouldn't be.
    I'm in favor of such a EU law.
    It should in perfect world, but good it isn't cuz people are still onvs not ready for it cuz... I forgot how many times I heard gays being compared to paedophilia. :-? so yeah, half of the Europe is still running on Windows 95.
    That's true. It's also still pretty popular at the school where I teach for kids to use the term "gay" as an insult.

Leave a comment:

• ArmyOfMe
    replied
    And it shouldn't be.
    Same

Leave a comment:

• Serby
    replied
    And it shouldn't be.
    It should in perfect world, but good it isn't cuz people are still onvs not ready for it cuz... I forgot how many times I heard gays being compared to paedophilia. :-? so yeah, half of the Europe is still running on Windows 95.

Leave a comment:

• Gravity
    replied

The first month of 2018 is musically already better than the entire 2017, at least to me.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    And it shouldn't be.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Originally posted by spiritboy
    I have a question.

For example you live in a European country that doesn't allow gay marriages yet. When you get married in another country, does your country have any obligation to recognize it since it's a member of EU?
    nope... if your country is against it, it won't get recognized.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    And it shouldn't be.

Leave a comment:

• menime123
    replied
    I have a question.

For example you live in a European country that doesn't allow gay marriages yet. When you get married in another country, does your country have any obligation to recognize it since it's a member of EU?

Leave a comment:

• menime123
    replied
    What I love about music is that Iíve only discovered or heard probably less than 0.1% of whatís out there - even if youíre disappointed in chart music, thereís so much more music out there from years gone by.

Iíd be lost without Spotify too, but I miss that thrill of discovering something new and following an era. I mean Iím loving JTís new era and album, but I couldnít tell you who the last new artist or new act was that got the music fan in me all excited.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    I have a question.

Only if gay marriage has legal recognition in that country - otherwise, your gay marriage may be downgraded to a civil partnership or same sex partnership (if that's even recognised). Should there be no legal recognition of same sex partnerships at all, your gay marriage will mean nothing in that country.

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied

I have a question.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    Originally posted by NothingFails
    Originally posted by Spartan
    Hold On is the only well known song of theirs, and itís fantastic.
    Release Me and You're In Love were also chart-toppers in the US but neither song had the longevity Hold On has.
    Impulsive gave Wilson Phillips a #3 hit on the Billboard HOT 100.
    I am glad all songs did fairly well here too, so I bought the album.
    It was one of my most played albums back in the day with Mariah of course.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Erotica
    replied
    Yes, I feel the same, if it goes on like this, then I am not interested in music anymore one day even my favourites disappoint

Leave a comment:

Working...
X