X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RayRay
    replied
    Re: The Random Thought Thread

Last year wasn't very good to me music wise.

But 2018 has started well with great new songs by Laura Pausini, Mylene Farmer, Kylie Minogue, Leona Lewis, Rita Ora, Delta Goodrem, Tina Arena, Toni Braxton, Kim Wilde, Deborah Cox...
    I haven't had so many new songs on repeat in ages.

Leave a comment:

• LongingHeart
    replied
    Originally posted by Nippian93
    My interest in music has never been this low before :(, I hope it changes soon.

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied
    for me as well

Leave a comment:

• Serby
    replied
    Originally posted by ThaInfo1
    Tryna support my man wanting to stop smoking.

But I miss weed. I need a blunt
    Dump ha. Domestic violence tbh.

Leave a comment:

• NothingFails
    replied
    Originally posted by Spartan
    Hold Om is the only well known song of theirs, and itís fantastic.
    Release Me and You're In Love were also chart-toppers in the US but neither song had the longevity Hold On has.

Leave a comment:

• BodyShop
    replied
    I feel just like you. It's awful !

Leave a comment:

• ThaInfo1
    replied

Tryna support my man wanting to stop smoking.

But I miss weed. I need a blunt

Leave a comment:

• Spartan
    replied

Hold Om is the only well known song of theirs, and itís fantastic.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    [youtube:3l2npn0s]ZRCeQahzdzE[/youtube:3l2npn0s]

Leave a comment:

• Nippian93
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NothingFails
    replied
    Originally posted by stevyy
    Originally posted by NothingFails
    but then again I've long aged out of that demographic, they want 13-21 year olds.
    me too.. I am decade too old to be in their demo.
    So far this year I've bought 2018 releases from Porches, Tune-Yards, Django Django, Belle And Sebastian, Justin Timberlake (oddly the worst album I've bought this year and the most well-known one lol) and Franz Ferdinand, I plan to get MGMT next paycheck and there's plenty coming in the near future that I have on preorder. There's a ton of great stuff out there if you dig deeper into the genres you like.
    I've never bought so few album at the beginning of a year than in 2018. I heavily rely on you for making me aware of unexpected new alt music. <3 thank god you are back. <3

btw, i love the JT album. I bought the album by The National as well this year which is also incredible.
    Hell, I still haven't fully absorbed all my 2017 music... there was a period in Sept/Oct where I routinely had 2-3 albums coming out every single week lol.... then when dad got bad, music took a backburner for a few, so I'm actually still catching up on a lot of last years music too

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    but then again I've long aged out of that demographic, they want 13-21 year olds.
    So far this year I've bought 2018 releases from Porches, Tune-Yards, Django Django, Belle And Sebastian, Justin Timberlake (oddly the worst album I've bought this year and the most well-known one lol) and Franz Ferdinand, I plan to get MGMT next paycheck and there's plenty coming in the near future that I have on preorder. There's a ton of great stuff out there if you dig deeper into the genres you like.
    I've never bought so few album at the beginning of a year than in 2018. I heavily rely on you for making me aware of unexpected new alt music. <3 thank god you are back. <3

btw, i love the JT album. I bought the album by The National as well this year which is also incredible.

Leave a comment:

• NothingFails
    replied

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NothingFails
    replied
    Originally posted by Erotica
    Originally posted by menime123
    Will the quality of new music ever improve? Iím so over all this noise on the charts.
    It gets worse :(
    quality is there... you only have to look for it and find it.

#buyPureComedy
    Yep.... there's practically must-have new albums every week for me... my wallet hates me from all the damn vinyl I preorder on Amazon. I mostly gravitate towards alternative artists and the occasional urban/pop/folk thing, but I think we're still living in glorious times to be a music fan, just that there's not a lot on the hot 100 that I'm into, but then again I've long aged out of that demographic, they want 13-21 year olds.

Leave a comment:

• Erotica
    replied
    The problem for me is, that quality is there but I don't like those songs too :(

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Originally posted by Erotica
    Will the quality of new music ever improve? Iím so over all this noise on the charts.
    quality is there... you only have to look for it and find it.

#buyPureComedy

Leave a comment:

• Erotica
    replied

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    It was really funny how Wilson Phillips and En Vogue both had their massive debut single in 1990 with Hold On. (Same title, different songs.)

I really love their harmonies/vocals. Their first album was really huge as some already mentioned.

But personally I prefer their second album, which may be less commercial but was way deeper lyricly.
    One of the songs (Flesh And Blood) was written by Carnie & Wendy for their Beach Boy father Brian Wilson, which at the time wasn't in contact with them. Lots of sad songs there.

Although the second album gave them one last hit (You Won't See Me Cry), they broke up.
    Carnie & Wendy went on to make a Christmas album plus an album which featured their father.
    Chynna released a solo album working with Pat Leonard (Madonna).

Later on Carnie also recorded some solo stuff and hosted a tv-show.
    Chynna did one Christian album with another female singer.

But they've been back together for some time now and released an album with Californian covers (Go Your Own Way was an AC hit in the US). They also released a Christmas album. Their last album "Dedicated" was a tribute to their parents with Beach Boys and The Mamas And The Papas covers.

Their most recent music output was them singing backing vocals for Rihanna's FourFiveSeconds.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Wilson Phillips were also well known for being the daughters of 60s pop legends. Chynna Phillips' dad was John Phillips of The Mamas And The Papas and the other two girls were the daughters of Beach Boy Brian Wilson.
    Yeah, they're daughters of musical royalty. They were really sweet.

I think Adele would slay with a Wilson Phillips type of album in the future.

Leave a comment:

• NothingFails
    replied

Wilson Phillips were also well known for being the daughters of 60s pop legends. Chynna Phillips' dad was John Phillips of The Mamas And The Papas and the other two girls were the daughters of Beach Boy Brian Wilson.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne
    What's a Wilson Phillip?

I actually think I know one or two of their songs - Hold On I think is their biggest hit?
    My mom liked Wilson Phillips so I'm familiar with their music.

They only had succes with their debut album and those ladies had beautiful voices, they were one of the biggest successes / acts from like 1990-1991, they had the most successful song of the year with "Hold on" and all of the 5 singles were big Top 10 hits one smash after another. The album was nominated for several Grammys including Album of the year.

"Hold on" is pretty much their biggest hit BUT all of the other 4 singles which were also hits are IMO much better than "Hold on".

I prefer all "Release me", "Impulsive", "You're in love" and "The dream is still alive" over "Hold on" and I could swear Gwen Stefani's biggest musical, lyrical, and conceptual inspiration for her single "Cool" was Wilson Phillips' "You're in love" single.

Leave a comment:

• biscuits
    replied

Hold On is a great pop song.

Leave a comment:

• NothingFails
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne
    What's a Wilson Phillip?

I actually think I know one or two of their songs - Hold On I think is their biggest hit?
    Funny thing is that many folk here would never believe, in 1990-1991 in the US there was a point where they and Mariah were neck and neck as the hottest new act of the 90s since WP's first album had three #1 singles and a fourth top 5 hit and the album was top 10 for a whole year. But then their second album in 1992 was a massive bomb and they were done.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied

What's a Wilson Phillip?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X