X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RayRay
    replied
    Still, Mariah, Madonna, Whitney, Celine and Janet are the greatest artists that made my younger years worth living.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Originally posted by MusicRecords
    ^stop defending that flop

Originally posted by Wayne
    Madonna doesn't need a hit - she's relevant, she sells a million copies of every album she releases and makes $100m+ from touring. Madonna's career is safe, she has a dedicated fanbase and she'll sell records for the rest of her life.

Mariah doesn't have that assurance, outside of a Christmas hit that has arguably become bigger than she is.
    This! Madonna can have flop singles and all but she'll keep making huge $$$
    I am pretty sure Mariah made something like $13 million in 2016... I mean I know that's peanuts FOR YOU and YOU'd probably starve from them little coins... I could buy a lunch or two for that dough.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Originally posted by stevyy
    so why is her catalogue getting all these random re-certs in the UK and elsewhere? Mariah may be a legacy act today... but what's so bad about that? Her last compilation album went silver in the UK.
    Probably because she does well on streaming - also, elsewhere? UK aside, what other countries is she regularly getting certifications in?

Mariah is not a huge touring act, but she is touring regardless. So she can do that. Maybe she cannot perform for 60,000 people in one venue... but as long as she can get 5-10k per concert that's fine as well.
    That's good then - just out of interest, outside of her Lionel shows, how many times has she performed to 10,000 people in the last 5 years?

I am sure that Madonna is not going to sell 1m copies of her future albums either... almost nobody is selling that in traditional sales anymore. I believe that Mariah has it in her to get another album selling 500,000 worldwide.. Maybe that is the point in which we differ. What dismissing her like that and counting her out is very Glitter-backlash from you.
    I'm not dismissing her - her career has become shocking. I fully supported her with #Beautiful and rooted for its success. But it was just another project mismanaged, another issue she failed to face into.

I'll make a prediction right now - Mariah will never sell 500,000 copies of a new studio album again.

i think you insinuated that Mariah Carey doesn't have a dedicated fanbase... but weren't you at one of her concerts last year?
    I've only attended one concert in the last year, and it was not Mariah.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Originally posted by ArmyOfMe
    I understand where MrLeonix is coming from. I am a Mariah fan, but it can't be denied that she has never enjoyed the kind of success that TEOM had since then.
    I would not call that "collapsing", but it's no 6x platinum + 2 #1s in one era (and a #2 blocked by herself) + 3 Grammy Awards.
    Yep, exactly. In the case of the Janet and Whitney mentioned eras it was literally like that, they even seem like their farewell eras as everything just went down right away. In the case of Mariah there's a lot more to discuss, I know "E=MC2" had decent success in the US (it had a #1 hit and the album went Platinum) so that was pretty much her real last moment of revelance, obviosuly the hype after TEOM era was in her favour and many fans would be willing to support her, but what I really meant with TEOM being her last era before the fall was that ever since that era she started going down progressively until the collapse.

Madonna and Celine were pretty much the only ones that kept enjoying big continuous and consistent sucess after their post-15 years careers.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Well, it's not that Memoirs was a success either. I mean, I was following her chart runs back then in the Memoirs era, and I remember how that album was considered a major underperformance for that year's standards.
    It wasn't a worldwide success... but it sold 550,000 copies in the USA, with a top 10 single. Memoirs is a special case. I know Wayne is going to roll his eyes at me... but once again, the album's first single, Obsessed, wasn't released in countries such as Germany and UK. The album's 2nd single was released on AUG, 1st, and yet also not in Germany and UK.

The album was released in September 2009, but only 2,5 months later it was released in the UK, along IWTKWLI single. That's a fact. The roll out of that era was her messiest to date, even messier than Glitter. I don't know why the entire era was delayed for 2 months in several markets... what the purpose of that was... I mean imagine P!nk to release her album in Australia, and wait 2,5 months and then make it available in the USA. It's a disaster. I think context like this is needed to understand why Memoirs did what it did. Even her short promo visit in November 2009 couldn't save a 2 months old album from not flopping in Europe.

Leave a comment:

• MusicRecords
    replied
    I swear I don't love the drama...it loves me!

Leave a comment:

• MusicRecords
    replied
    ^stop defending that flop

Madonna doesn't need a hit - she's relevant, she sells a million copies of every album she releases and makes $100m+ from touring. Madonna's career is safe, she has a dedicated fanbase and she'll sell records for the rest of her life.

Mariah doesn't have that assurance, outside of a Christmas hit that has arguably become bigger than she is.
    This! Madonna can have flop singles and all but she'll keep making huge $$$

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied

so why is her catalogue getting all these random re-certs in the UK and elsewhere? Mariah may be a legacy act today... but what's so bad about that? Her last compilation album went silver in the UK.

Mariah is not a huge touring act, but she is touring regardless. So she can do that. Maybe she cannot perform for 60,000 people in one venue... but as long as she can get 5-10k per concert that's fine as well.

I am sure that Madonna is not going to sell 1m copies of her future albums either... almost nobody is selling that in traditional sales anymore. I believe that Mariah has it in her to get another album selling 500,000 worldwide.. Maybe that is the point in which we differ. What dismissing her like that and counting her out is very Glitter-backlash from you.

i think you insinuated that Mariah Carey doesn't have a dedicated fanbase... but weren't you at one of her concerts last year?

Leave a comment:

• ArmyOfMe
    replied
    I understand where MrLeonix is coming from. I am a Mariah fan, but it can't be denied that she has never enjoyed the kind of success that TEOM had since then.
    I would not call that "collapsing", but it's no 6x platinum + 2 #1s in one era (and a #2 blocked by herself) + 3 Grammy Awards.
    The last 5 years have been a disaster for her - stevyy can coast on her Christmas hit all he likes, all it means is that the Christmas song has become bigger than she is (as it sells independently of anything she does and far exceeds her "current" projects).

I think she was last successful as a "current" artist in 2008-2010 (I get the challenge around #Beautiful - that was definitely successful, but it flash in the pan at best).
    I agree with everything you said. However, It's been a decline that took almost 10 years to reach the stage where her career (or what's left of it) is now, so definitely not a collapse.
    again, 1 studio album this decade + a christmas album. I hate it when ppl act like she is releasing flop album after flop album. When you look at her last 3 studio albums, (2014, 2010, 2009), only one sticks out - commercially. It's not objective what y'all doing. I mean as it is now, she is in a deep commercial hole... I am not delusional... but it is a hole from which she hasn't yet attempted to crawl out of.
    Well, it's not that Memoirs was a success either. I mean, I was following her chart runs back then in the Memoirs era, and I remember how that album was considered a major underperformance for that year's standards.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    The last 5 years have been a disaster for her - stevyy can coast on her Christmas hit all he likes, all it means is that the Christmas song has become bigger than she is (as it sells independently of anything she does and far exceeds her "current" projects).

I think she was last successful as a "current" artist in 2008-2010 (I get the challenge around #Beautiful - that was definitely successful, but it flash in the pan at best).
    I agree with everything you said. However, It's been a decline that took almost 10 years to reach the stage where her career (or what's left of it) is now, so definitely not a collapse.
    again, 1 studio album this decade + a christmas album. I hate it when ppl act like she is releasing flop album after flop album. When you look at her last 3 studio albums, (2014, 2010, 2009), only one sticks out - commercially. It's not objective what y'all doing. I mean as it is now, she is in a deep commercial hole... I am not delusional... but it is a hole from which she hasn't yet attempted to crawl out of.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied

The perception of her consistently flopping does not correlate in reality, at least not fully. I cannot at people for always dragging her commercial appeal, when in the past 5 years, she only gave us 1 studio album, which indeed flopped.

She gave us a couple of stand-alone singles, which also flopped: Infamous, Infinity, I don't + 2 new christmas singles this year (2017).

It is not like she is desperately trying to get a hit neither is she releasing album after album which nobody is buying. I don't know what ppl are expecting. Where are Madonna's HITS in the past 5 years?

Mariah Carey is really held to a double standard. It's like that one era (2014) became the definition of who she is as a commercial artist.

The 2010's have been here laziest decade with 1 christmas album right at the beginning (during her pregnancy) and a comeback album after 4 years away (during her divorce). If y'all judge her by her latest stand-alone tracks, please do the same for other acts.

Leave a comment:

• ArmyOfMe
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ArmyOfMe
    replied

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Originally posted by LongingHeart

+ a #1 in 2008, a platinum single in 2013 and a smash hit every winter. YouĎre so damn annoying.
    I agree:

2008 - #1 - 1xP - E=MC≤
    - #1 - 1xP - TMB
    - #19 - G - Bye Bye

2009 - #3 - G - Memoirs
    - #7 - 1xP - Obsessed

2010 - #4 - G - Christmas 2.0

2014 - #3 - EC
    - #15 - 2xP - #Beautiful

Leave a comment:

• cheapthrills
    replied
    Re: The Random Thought Thread

Haven't we really had Bey in our lives for 20 years now tho

Leave a comment:

• Hugo
    replied
    Originally posted by TIfan
    Originally posted by TheRealest
    Only time will tell. Musically she already started taking Lís but her star power isnít fading any time soon.
    Music is opinion. I was just speaking on success. There are people that do not like "All For You", and "My Love is Your Love" but those albums smashed.

You might not gave liked Lemonade, which is understandable, but it is the best selling album released in 2016. She was also the best selling female singles artist of 2016, and she grossed $260 million with 49 shows. She also won more awards with Lemonade than anyone in music history within a single era. Very big year.
    Fixed.

Leave a comment:

• TIfan
    replied
    Originally posted by TheRealest
    Only time will tell. Musically she already started taking Lís but her star power isnít fading any time soon.
    Music is opinion. I was just speaking on success. There are people that do not like "All For You", and "My Love is Your Love" but those albums smashed.

You might not gave liked Lemonade, which is understandable, but it is the best selling album released in 2016. She was also the best selling female singles artist of 2016, and she grossed $260 million with 49 shows. She also won more awards with Lemonade than any other era she has had. Very big year.

Leave a comment:

• LongingHeart
    replied
    Originally posted by MrLeonix
    The Big 15th Anniversary is coming guys!!!!

-15 years into her career, Madonna dominated with Ray of Light.
    -15 years after her breakthrough, Janet slayed with All 4 U
    -15 years after her debut, Mariah gave us TEOM
    -15 years into her massive debut, Whitney was celebrating the success MLIYL
    -15 years after her French debut, Celine gave the world Falling Into You

Will Beyonce continue that Diva Tradition???!!!???!!!
    I hope so. But I hope she follows Madonna / Celine path more, because for Janet, Whitney and Mariah those were exactly pretty much their last eras before going down and collapsing.
    + a #1 in 2008, a platinum single in 2013 and a smash hit every winter. YouĎre so damn annoying.

Leave a comment:

• TheRealest
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied

I hope so. But I hope she follows Madonna / Celine path more, because for Janet, Whitney and Mariah those were exactly pretty much their last eras before going down and collapsing.

Leave a comment:

• JSparksFan
    replied

^ She did her job two years earlier with Lemonade.

Leave a comment:

• TIfan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TheRealest
    replied
    This stone is flawless, F1
    I keep shooters up top in the F1
    Alotta bad bitches begginí me to F one
    But Ima eat them rap bitches when the chef come

Throw some fresh ones
    More talent in my muhf*****n left thumb
    She ainít a Nicki fan then the bitch deaf dumb
    You ainít my son, you my muhf*****n step son!

True gospel.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X