X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Originally posted by spiritboy
    Apart from French speaking markets, i believe Whitney Houston had more impact than Céline Dion worldwide. That's not to disrespect or diminish Céline's legacy but maybe because her singles were huge.
    This is a fact. In terms of cultural impact Whitney is probably second only behind Madonna. That woman was extremely impactful in music around the world.

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied
    Apart from French speaking markets, i believe Whitney Houston had more impact than Céline Dion worldwide. That's not to disrespect or diminish Céline's legacy but maybe because her singles were huge.

Leave a comment:

• ludichris
    replied
    Originally posted by Goldmoney
    Originally posted by Gravity
    Originally posted by ludichris
    It's now playing We Break the Dawn from Michelle Williams.
    I love this song!
    Reminds me of this....[youtube:1vi8qv1h]uetAITsys9g[/youtube:1vi8qv1h]
    ThaInfo, sit down sis.
    This killed me.

Leave a comment:

• TheRealest
    replied
    Originally posted by Serby
    Like, how many people know Celine is one the most successful girls ever, I bet most people know her from Titanic song and later doscover she's just this huge star (tho very low key imo).
    Pretty much.

Leave a comment:

• TIfan
    replied
    ^^^ I was talking about all the artist that had 4 number one singles from one album. All of them sold 8-9 million in US.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Originally posted by TIfan
    He was never going to repeat Thriller, but he sold pretty much the same as everyone that had 4 number one singled during that time. He went from being the top artist, to being at the sameevel as everyone else..
    "Everyone else"?? ..... I'm sure majority of artists were selling bellow "Bad".

...... But yeah, Michael was really on his own league, if thats flopping then I'd wish my faves flopped like that.

Leave a comment:

• TIfan
    replied
    He was never going to repeat Thriller, but he sold pretty much the same as everyone that had 4 number one singled during that time. He went from being the top artist, to being at the sameevel as everyone else.

Btw, invisible sold like 6-7 million. Not 13 million.

I really was comparing the amount of hits he had to his sales. Thriller had 7 top tens and sold 28 million. Bad had 6 top 10s and sold 8 million. That goes to show the impact that Thriller singles had.

Leave a comment:

• BlueScorpion
    replied
    Originally posted by MrLeonix
    ^^^ I believe he went from 28 million to 8 million in US before his heartbreaking death.

He had 6/7 smash singles from Bad, and could even hit Diamond, while the previous album hit near 3x-Diamond. That had to be a major disappointment. It's still the 2nd best selling album by a male solos artist world wide, but that was a HUGE drop.
    Lets be honest, He was never going to repeat Thriller's success, that was not the real standard of his career, thats more like a one time event (exception to the rule in his career where he went beyond the greatest success), "Bad" was definately a decline compared to "Thriller", but it was not a flop. Declining =/= Flop. Compared to "Off the wall" he was maintaining his career greatly.
    They hail "Invincible" as Michael's biggest flop and that album sold like 13 million copies or whatever, so Michael really is in a league of his own. I agree with your statement.

Leave a comment:

• BlankSpace
    replied
    Originally posted by RayRay
    Originally posted by BlankSpace
    Originally posted by Hugo
    When I think of "great albums" and "great songs", Céline just doesn't come to mind, soz.
    thats your opinion
    i don't stan Celine but i listen to her music every other day nd i can name dozen of Celine songs that are great & amazing nd are for any age.
    Those come to mind:

The power of love
    Beauty and the Beast
    Where does my heart beat now
    It's all coming back to me now
    Tell him
    Immortality
    I'm alive
    Think twice
    Pour que tu m'aimes encore
    Because you loved me
    All by myself
    To love you more
    +
    The Reason I go on
    A New Day has come
    Breakaway
    Loved Me Back To Live

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    Originally posted by BlankSpace
    When I think of "great albums" and "great songs", Céline just doesn't come to mind, soz.
    thats your opinion
    i don't stan Celine but i listen to her music every other day nd i can name dozen of Celine songs that are great & amazing nd are for any age.
    Those come to mind:

The power of love
    Beauty and the Beast
    Where does my heart beat now
    It's all coming back to me now
    Tell him
    Immortality
    I'm alive
    Think twice
    Pour que tu m'aimes encore
    Because you loved me
    All by myself
    To love you more

Leave a comment:

• BlankSpace
    replied
    thats your opinion

Leave a comment:

• DOSSOME
    replied
    Originally posted by MrLeonix
    ^^^ I believe he went from 28 million to 8 million in US before his heartbreaking death.

He had 6/7 smash singles from Bad, and could even hit Diamond, while the previous album hit near 3x-Diamond. That had to be a major disappointment. It's still the 2nd best selling album by a male solos artist world wide, but that was a HUGE drop.
    Lets be honest, He was never going to repeat Thriller's success, that was not the real standard of his career, thats more like a one time event (exception to the rule in his career where he went beyond the greatest success), "Bad" was definately a decline compared to "Thriller", but it was not a flop. Declining =/= Flop. Compared to "Off the wall" he was mainting his career greatly.
    We can say that now but back then they were really keen on repeating it.Just listen to that album, it's the ultimate pop record specifically designed for the masses

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied

Lets be honest, He was never going to repeat Thriller's success, that was not the real standard of his career, thats more like a one time event (exception to the rule in his career where he went beyond the greatest success), "Bad" was definately a decline compared to "Thriller", but it was not a flop. Declining =/= Flop. Compared to "Off the wall" he was maintaining his career greatly.

Leave a comment:

• TIfan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    There is a big difference between not living up to the previous albums success and a "Flop"

Just because "Bad" didn't repeat Thriller's success in US doesn't mean it was a flop, in fact it was another US Diamond album for Michael, it was definately a success. Its not realistic to expect back to back 2x Diamond albums.

He did fine, if going from a 2x Diamond album to a 1x Diamond album is flopping then every artist that went from a 2x Platinum album to a 1x Platinum album flopped.

Leave a comment:

• TIfan
    replied
    This is a huge unpopular opinion, but Michael's "Bad" was a flop in US. I. Sorry but 5 numbers and another top 10 single, and coming from an album that sold 20 million+ in US, he really lost steam, but over the Ocean, "Bad" was a super smash. He must gave had discounted singles or something!

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne
    It's difficult because I know two Celine's and I think you maybe know one.

I often believe she traded in critical success in her Anglophone career for commercial success - for e.g. she was due to go on a career break prior to recording My Heart Will Go On but following its success, she and Rene decided to release Let's Talk About Love. It was recorded in a rush so that they could cash in but what a decision that was - 32m copies from that album alone. Rene and Celine were driven by success - and Rene was savyy because he knew that in putting all of the effort into building that early career, she'd have a career for life.

But the French career is different - for e.g. D'eux is one of the most critically acclaimed French albums of ALL-TIME, (as well as being the top-selling album ever), her French repotoire from 1990 through 2003 is critically acclaimed - her French music tells interesting things and reflects her truest talents. To this day, the reverence she enjoys in France, French speaking Canada, Belgium, Switzerland and most of French speaking Europe vastly exceeds anything she's ever done in her Anglophone career.

There's a lot of conflict between the two careers and they are poles apart - it's probably why in 2017, I'm still trying to convince the odd person that they just don't understand her career. Over the last couple of years, critics have really warmed to Celine and the press she has enjoyed this year from everyone and everything is unprecedented - I think we'll really see a step change on this front over the next few years.
    Interesting read. It sounds similar to Shakira's situation, her anglophone career never reached the level of acclaim and artistic appreciation of her spanish career from 1995-2005.

Leave a comment:

• Iiketheair
    replied
    D'eux, the album that broke barriers. What a success, what an album.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied

Madonna has, for example, half a dozen culturally significant albums and like 20 pop smashes.
    It's difficult because I know two Celine's and I think you maybe know one.

I often believe she traded in critical success in her Anglophone career for commercial success - for e.g. she was due to go on a career break prior to recording My Heart Will Go On but following its success, she and Rene decided to release Let's Talk About Love. It was recorded in a rush so that they could cash in but what a decision that was - 32m copies from that album alone. Rene and Celine were driven by success - and Rene was savyy because he knew that in putting all of the effort into building that early career, she'd have a career for life.

But the French career is different - for e.g. D'eux is one of the most critically acclaimed French albums of ALL-TIME, (as well as being the top-selling album ever), her French repotoire from 1990 through 2003 is critically acclaimed - her French music tells interesting things and reflects her truest talents. To this day, the reverence she enjoys in France, French speaking Canada, Belgium, Switzerland and most of French speaking Europe vastly exceeds anything she's ever done in her Anglophone career.

There's a lot of conflict between the two careers and they are poles apart - it's probably why in 2017, I'm still trying to convince the odd person that they just don't understand her career. Over the last couple of years, critics have really warmed to Celine and the press she has enjoyed this year from everyone and everything is unprecedented - I think we'll really see a step change on this front over the next few years.

Leave a comment:

• DOSSOME
    replied
    There are like 7.5 billion people living on this planet. No musician has sold even 15% of that in record sales so the "worldwide" arguments probably doesn't go further than a couple of neighbors

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    But I'd gladly pay to see Céline live, whereas I'd have to be payed to see Mariah these days...
    I would take Celine anyday over Mariah...

Leave a comment:

• Hugo
    replied
    But I'd gladly pay to see Céline live, whereas I'd have to be payed to see Mariah these days...

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Interesting point of view. I've noticed that none of her songs or albums make the critics' best yearly or decades lists. And her Grammy Album of the year win is often considered one of the "worst" / "weakest" wins of all time.

I just think she sings pretty and people admire her singing. But her music itself isn't really that great. In that sense Mariah has a much stronger discography even though I respect and tolerate Celine Dion way more.

Leave a comment:

• cheapthrills
    replied
    Originally posted by EAI
    Celine being a bilingual performer also helped her heaps. Cause when no one cares about her English releases anymore, she'll always be a massive seller in France and Canada.
    I was thinking this as well - more the fact that she sings in French as well makes her rare. If you want to be a global phenomenon, you have to sing in English it would appear. Except for something like Gangnam Style, I can't think of any Asian acts, for example, that have gotten that level of international attention. Have any Spanish acts even broken into Asia? Shakira? Enrique?

Language barriers prevent many acts from achieving that level of success.

Leave a comment:

• Hugo
    replied

Madonna has, for example, half a dozen culturally significant albums and like 20 pop smashes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X