X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Goldmoney
    Originally posted by TIfan
    Y'all have to admit, this popular mumble rap is garbage.
    One of the worst crimes against music of all time and Iím a hip hop aficionado. To date, nothing of any value has been produced.

Still, itís better than Onika.
    PREACH

Comment

• Originally posted by Rihab
      Originally posted by Serby
      I prefer new millenia music. No Beatless or Kweens, thanks.
      I do like some older acts, but I could never stan for them. One of my friends only listens to Nirvana and the likes and I imagine itís such a struggle cause none of them are around / make music anymore. Throwbacks are fine on Thursdays, but I also need new music in my life. I dread the day my faves die or retire.
      Atually I like stanning for artists who have 20-25+ years deep into their careers, they're the ones you know have been in it a long time and you really can feel like you've grown with them. Seeing Madonna after 32 years was this moment of total queening out and stanning because it's taken this long to get to see her, which I don't see how someone can feel that same way towards Dua Lipa when they weren't even a fan of hers six months ago.

It does suck to watch old faves die (like MJ, Prince, Bowie, etc...) but then again, we all get older and we all end up dying at some point. Not trading in the old model for the new 16 year old pop sensation.
      My top 100 artists (2018 edition)

Comment

• Originally posted by DnBLover
        Can someone provide real reasoning on why they hate Nickelback rather than it's cool to hate on them?

How long have you actually spent listening to their music? How are they any different from any other bland rock band out there? Is it just because they were very successful?
        Nickelback broke big in the early 2000s which was also a massive time for upstart alternative acts that critics and music geeks really went nuts over. You had The White Stripes, Arcade Fire, The Strokes (people forget how much buzz they had their first album), Interpol, Franz Ferdinand, a few years later you had Arctic Monkeys blow up, etc..., but yet all of those artists were snubbed in the US mainstream despite the acclaim and relegated to NPR/AAA formats, while this generic, soulless piece of trash who kept making the same song over and over became massive. The Rockstar video was where I really grew to hate them, look at the people they put in the video... Kid Rock, Ted Nugent, various other homophobes... almost suprised Donald Trump wasn't in the video. They proved they wanted to appeal to the podunk redneck alt-right anti-gay racist audience.... and people like them perpetuate the stereotype that rock is homophobic and no gay person listens to it, forgetting that while gays hate "butt rock", gays have always been big alternative fans since the genre first started taking shape in he 70s with people like Bowie and Lou Reed.

Nickelback also pretty much sounded the death knell for guitar music on mainstream radio, so I think they get a lot of resentment from that. Just like how America rejected everything British for a few years in a "you gave us Spice Girls, our relationship is through" nonsense way, rock music as a mainstream entity has suffered for the crime of being the same genre Nickelback belonged to.

Comment

• Re: The Random Thought Thread

I take the view that with an older act like The Beatles, it's so much more rewarding "stanning" for them as you have so much to explore - yes, you'll never get anything brand new. But they left so much behind.

And with The Beatles also, you can then branch off into McCartney/Lennon/Harrison/Starr as soloists.

Comment

• i agree with everything John said. Nickelback almost turned me away from rock music. I needed years to overcome the Nickelback stigma and give the genre a chance again.
            My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy
              i agree with everything John said. Nickelback almost turned me away from rock music. I needed years to overcome the Nickelback stigma and give the genre a chance again.
              If you feel that strongly about one act, then you clearly didn't like rock music enough to begin with.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne
                I take the view that with an older act like The Beatles, it's so much more rewarding "stanning" for them as you have so much to explore - yes, you'll never get anything brand new. But they left so much behind.

And with The Beatles also, you can then branch off into McCartney/Lennon/Harrison/Starr as soloists.
                That's true. Also the Beatles catalogue is so strong that it never gets boring... no matter how often you listen to a certain album / song.

+ John Lennon is my ultimate favourite artist, I could watch interviews for him for hours and then transcend into his music catalogue floating away in my dreams. <3
                My Chart

Comment

Popular = overrated (and even rubbish).

Thatís a standard view for music aficionados.

Absolutely ridiculous.
                  Not when you're Liam Gallagher.
                  Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

Originally posted by stevyy
                    i agree with everything John said. Nickelback almost turned me away from rock music. I needed years to overcome the Nickelback stigma and give the genre a chance again.
                    If you feel that strongly about one act, then you clearly didn't like rock music enough to begin with.
                    between my musical awakening 1992 until my 2nd musical awakening 2002, I disliked the genre passionately. I never cared... It took "The Rising" (2002) to pull me back in... and by that time Springsteen transformed me.

I was a pop whore in my childhood, the poppier the better. I was all about divas and EVERY boyband you could imagine.
                    My Chart

Comment

I agree. If one decided for instance they wanted to get into Bob Dylan or The Rolling Stones, they have literally 55 years worth of music to wade through (granted, like I've said several times, the Stones really cease to be more than a nostalgia touring machine after 1981) or like you said, after The Beatles you have all the solo projects to get through.

I love discovering artists in their career infancies, but you have to hand it to someone like David Byrne who put out of of 2018's best albums to date, yet has been making solid music since Talking Heads' first album in 1977. Or even how great U2's latest album was (so much better than the "free album" they put out) and they've been making music since 1979, etc... The older acts who still have the ability to make something worth listening to deserve the credit

Comment

Bob Dylan is a good example, I had such a good time delving into his discography - I've probably only listened to 1/3 of what he did in the studio and there's still so much more to go but I've discovered countless brilliant songs.

Comment

• If you think Nickelback is ridiculous, I have to remind you of this
                          [youtube:21khzvg7]99j0zLuNhi8[/youtube:21khzvg7]

Comment

Creed were godawful too (maybe even worse because of the religious overtones in their music), but at least they broke up after only three albums and bowed out at the right time. Nickelback is still going even though their popularity is nothing like it used to be.

Comment

• I will not hear anything bad about Creed, they were behind one of my favourite songs of that decade:

[youtube:395k2ie6]O-fyNgHdmLI[/youtube:395k2ie6]

Any REAL wrestling fan will recognise that.

Comment

• Originally posted by NothingFails
                                Creed were godawful too (maybe even worse because of the religious overtones in their music), but at least they broke up after only three albums and bowed out at the right time. Nickelback is still going even though their popularity is nothing like it used to be.
                                The temptation of selling shows on the back of their catalogue is still too strong.

Comment

• ugh why do german guys age so badly? I am looking through profiles on PlanetRomeo and most guys above 35+ yo look like they are over 50. WTF?
                                  DUA LIPA - RIHANNA - THE WEEKND - DOJA CAT
                                  98 - OUT

Comment

And if Nickelback weren't bad enough in the 00s.... now they've "evolved" their sound into sounding like Maroon 5 lol

[youtube:w6lzwxdg]IfB_K4RGtDo[/youtube:w6lzwxdg]

Comment

• I'll be kickstarting the 7th edition of UKMIX's Ultimate Female Acts countdown soon - with that in mind, how many of our top 99 from 2016 acts can you recognise?

#shamelesspromo #sorryifittakesagestoload

Comment

Dua Lipa isn't there so keep it.
                                        DUA LIPA - RIHANNA - THE WEEKND - DOJA CAT
                                        98 - OUT

Comment

• Originally posted by NothingFails
                                          And if Nickelback weren't bad enough in the 00s.... now they've "evolved" their sound into sounding like Maroon 5 lol
                                          For me this sounds like a shameless attempt to make a ''Paralyzer'' rip-off
                                          [youtube:317m0c05]BJk6gZuPKRE[/youtube:317m0c05]

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat
                                            Dua Lipa isn't there so keep it.
                                            Calvin Harris has already voted.

Comment

• You can put all the Nickelbacks, Creeds, and Sherrats of the world together and they still wouldnít come close to making something as bad as this:
                                              [youtube:kk2kcbek]T6j4f8cHBIM[/youtube:kk2kcbek]
                                              Greatest
                                              Of
                                              All
                                              Time

Comment

• ^Eurovision takes care of having the worst songs ever
                                                [youtube:18cobqrs]dWlrcgH-1NU[/youtube:18cobqrs]

Comment

• I don't think a song like Stupid Hoe would do well in today's climate

Same with Pink's Stupid Girls.
                                                  Floped and localed

Comment

• Guetta's early 00s EDM hits sound so awful now, I remember them being bops when I was in high school, but they are just terrible now

also, this one wouldn't be such a hit in today's climate

[youtube:1ee3yfio]N9hazmsUxrM[/youtube:1ee3yfio]

god, even with the lyrics aside, the music video is so sleazy
                                                    last.fm

Comment

Working...
                                                    X