This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Random Thought Thread

I thought JK Rolling was the best selling living author!
    Diva!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne
      I was reading something interesting about Agatha Christie (what else are Saturday evenings for? ) and learned that the three best-selling fiction authors of all-time are from Britain!

Without cheating, anyone care to guess who they are? Initials:

W S
      A C
      B C
      William Shakespeare?

Comment

• THEY SLAYED

[youtube:25llf2e0]8g15z7TmR9s[/youtube:25llf2e0]

Comment

I was reading something interesting about Agatha Christie (what else are Saturday evenings for? ) and learned that the three best-selling fiction authors of all-time are from Britain!

W S
          A C
          B C
          Waterloo Scones

Afternoon Chai-tea

Bish & Chips
          Follow Me On Instagram

The FIRST user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING

Comment

• Originally posted by DOSSOME
            Originally posted by Wayne

W S
            A C
            B C
            William Shakespeare?
            That is correct, William Shakespeare's works have sold somewhere in the region of 2-4 billion copies.

A C (think crime)
            B C (think romance)

Comment

• Agatha Christie's books are sooo nostalgic to me...she was one of the first authors I really loved, and I started reading her books when I was about 6-7... she's the reason why crime is still my favorite genre
              Floped and localed

Comment

Originally posted by DOSSOME
                Originally posted by Wayne

W S
                A C
                B C
                William Shakespeare?
                That is correct, William Shakespeare's works have sold somewhere in the region of 2-4 billion copies.

A C (think crime)
                B C (think romance)
                Isnít AC the Agatha person you mentioned?
                Follow Me On Instagram

#KING

Comment

• Originally posted by Gravity
                  Agatha Christie's books are sooo nostalgic to me...she was one of the first authors I really loved, and I started reading her books when I was about 6-7... she's the reason why crime is still my favorite genre
                  Agatha Christie is indeed correct!

Her works have also reportedly sold in the region of 2-4 billion copies worldwide (despite having almost 300 years less than Shakespeare) - and despite having died in 1972, her works continue to sell a massive 5 million copies per year these days.

Just B C left...

Comment

Barbara Cartland?
                    Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy
                      Barbara Cartland?
                      You googled it
                      Follow Me On Instagram

#KING

Comment

• Originally posted by MusicRecords
                        Originally posted by spiritboy
                        Barbara Cartland?
                        You googled it
                        Nope, i don't have to google to make a guess
                        Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy
                          Barbara Cartland?
                          Indeed! She's sold somewhere in the region of 500 million-1 billion copies of her works, mostly about romance!

Mostly amazed by how popular Agatha Christie's works are - she's like The Beatles of fiction.

Comment

• I've never read Christie, but I've seen a lot of the Poirot movies. Watching them reminds me of lazy Sundays when I was a kid and we'd watch a movie after lunch and chill.

Never heard of Barbara Cartland to be honest, will google her a bit now
                            last.fm

Comment

• Had never heard of Agatha it Barbra before

I think one of my favorite British authors is CS Lewis...the chronicles of Narnia were the first chapter books that I really got into as a child and read entirely.
                              Follow Me On Instagram

#KING

Comment

Well Shakespeare sells because us British folk are forced to study at least 2 of his plays in school

Shakespeare was a genius storyteller but there is absolutely zero education in studying him in school from a book imo. It was only when I started going to the theatre that I fell in love with his work - Iíve seen some amazing actors bring his plays to life (Dame Judi in The Winterís Tale, James McAvoy in Macbeth, Tom Hiddleston in Coriolanus, Benedict Cumberbatch in Hamlet, Kevin Spacey in Richard III) and firmly believe Shakespeare needs to be seen in order to be understood (even the language makes sense 15 minute in).
                                M08T10

Comment

Had never heard of Agatha it Barbra before

I think one of my favorite British authors is CS Lewis...the chronicles of Narnia were the first chapter books that I really got into as a child and read entirely.

I couldnít get into Narnia. I was big on Enid Blyton and Roald Dahl as a kid.
                                  M08T10

Comment

• Originally posted by Gravity
                                    Agatha Christie's books are sooo nostalgic to me...she was one of the first authors I really loved
                                    Especially the Miss Marple books.
                                    My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Originally posted by menime123
                                      Well Shakespeare sells because us British folk are forced to study at least 2 of his plays in school

Shakespeare was a genius storyteller but there is absolutely zero education in studying him in school from a book imo. It was only when I started going to the theatre that I fell in love with his work - Iíve seen some amazing actors bring his plays to life (Dame Judi in The Winterís Tale, James McAvoy in Macbeth, Tom Hiddleston in Coriolanus, Benedict Cumberbatch in Hamlet, Kevin Spacey in Richard III) and firmly believe Shakespeare needs to be seen in order to be understood (even the language makes sense 15 minute in).
                                      I watched Othello at The Globe and found it to be brilliant, however found it pretty tough sitting for so long on the wooden benches.

Comment

• It's been five days since my surgery and I just was able to smell something for the first time with my nose. Gosh, it was so weird to smell absolutely NOTHING for that long. Funny how something as normal as that can have such a positive impact <3

Comment

• ^what did you smell today though?
                                          Follow Me On Instagram

#KING

Comment

• Wow at not knowing who Agatha is. She feels universal to me tbh and even I read one or maybe 2 books of hers.
                                            be kind to every kind (also the unkind kind!!!!! )

Comment

^what did you smell today though?
                                              My dinner

Comment

My father was a huge Agatha Christie fan. He even bought her books that she wrote under another name.

Comment

• And Then There Were None is so good, I could picture it so well in my head, amazing way of writing.

Comment

• Originally posted by TIfan
                                                    I thought JK Rolling was the best selling living author!
                                                    I always thought so, too, but I guess it's just that the Harry Potter series are the best-selling book series of all-time.
                                                    Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

• Originally posted by Serby
                                                      Wow at not knowing who Agatha is. She feels universal to me tbh and even I read one or maybe 2 books of hers.
                                                      I was obviously joking SerbySerbs, smile a little
                                                      Follow Me On Instagram

#KING

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay
                                                        My father was a huge Agatha Christie fan. He even bought her books that she wrote under another name.
                                                        Damn that's so cool! does your family still have them? def a treasure
                                                        Follow Me On Instagram

#KING

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay
                                                          Originally posted by Gravity
                                                          Agatha Christie's books are sooo nostalgic to me...she was one of the first authors I really loved
                                                          Especially the Miss Marple books.
                                                          I actually prefer the Poirot ones the ones from later period, without Hastings, are my favorites.
                                                          Floped and localed

Comment

Originally posted by RayRay
                                                            Damn that's so cool! does your family still have them? def a treasure
                                                            I'm not sure. My father passed away ten years ago and I don't know if my mother kept them.

Comment

Originally posted by Serby
                                                              Wow at not knowing who Agatha is. She feels universal to me tbh and even I read one or maybe 2 books of hers.
                                                              I was obviously joking SerbySerbs, smile a little
                                                              Ugh again. I'm losing my sense of humour/irony I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                                              X