Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Current Staff Shortage in the U.S. - What are your opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current Staff Shortage in the U.S. - What are your opinions?

As many of you may know (or like me, are experiencing it in their current jobs,) that there is a MAJOR Labor Shortage in the U.S. right now!

According to numerous articles that I have read online in recent months, there are thousands of businesses that are trying to recover from the pandemic & are needing staff ASAP, but one of the main issues are, HARDLY ANYBODY ARE APPLYING TO MOST OF THESE JOBS! & because of these companies being so SHORT-STAFFED, many of them are facing closures (& some of them had already closed during tbe pandemic & are trying to open back up again,) or are facing cut-backs on services or products!

& according to most of the articles that I have read about this, there are numerous possible reasons of the labor shortage situation:

1. Many people still being on the Unemployment Benefits - because of these people still having the $600 a month payments for pretty much staying @ home, most of those people are probably not going out there applying for the current open jobs...

2. Child care & schools reopening - again because of the pandemic, lots of children had to do the online schooling for most of the past year & a half, & lots of those parents who did not have child care for their young children had to stay @ home to care for them while they do the online schooling. & currently I am a DAYCARE TEACHER myself (hence my username!) & right now my company is facing a SEVERE STAFF SHORTAGE! We have LOTS OF CHILDREN enrolled for the fall @ the center I work @ (& some of them have already started coming in this summer as the parents could not wait any longer,) but we are facing a crisis of not enough teachers or aides, so unless we have more new staff, we will have to start TURNING SOME FAMILIES AWAY... & again that will trickledown to more parents being out of work if they do not have child care for their children! & the cycle will continue & could even get worse than it already is!

Ok sorry for the long post! Tell me what do you all think of this very real & very tough situation...

Oops here are a few of the articles I have read as my sources for the information that I have about the Labor Shortage situation:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-r...89.html?bcmt=1

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/this-...45.html?bcmt=1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...amp/7826616002

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pbs...labor-shortage

I am sorry that I did not include them in my previous post, & I have not quite figured out how to edit posts that I already posted lol... Again sorry about that!

Comment

Similar situation in the UK actually. Before covid there was stories of hundreds of applicants going for the smallest of jobs, but now places are struggling to hire enough staff. I wonder whether it would be helpful to try and get more people on disability benefits into suitable work, rather than have them off work altogether. There are plenty of people who are disabled who happily contribute to society and, well, we all know there are plenty of people of all abilities that choose not to. There is plenty of work out there that immigrants have been chiefly doing for decades, that is not being done since many have returned home. There should be a real push to try and get people back into work and not rely on state handouts.
      1 Inna |2 Camila Cabello|3 Wizkid |4 Coldplay |5 Kevin McKay

Comment

I think people are affraid of dealing with others. Customer service jobs in US do not often pay enough for the harassment you gave to deal with on a daily basis. Customers are so entitled here on the states.

Also, people are making far more money while unemployment then they do working.

Lastly, the living wages are crazy here
        Diva!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TIfan View Post
          I think people are affraid of dealing with others. Customer service jobs in US do not often pay enough for the harassment you gave to deal with on a daily basis. Customers are so entitled here on the states.
          I think that is everywhere tbh, they don't want to be harassed.
          Most people don't want to work in healthcare, the police or as a teacher becouse people look down on those jobs nowadays. (No me personally)

Comment

I do feel good knowing that I can get another job easily if I happen to lose my current job.
            Diva!!!

Comment

I have read that most of these jobs have terrible conditions (bad pay, no benefits, no vacation days, long hours & they can axe you anytime they please).

America has terrible work conditons for a first world country anyway. No regulated minimum wage, no healthcare, barely any vacation days and no notice period is catastrophic tbh.
              Last edited by aRat; Mon August 23, 2021, 08:08.
              DUA LIPA - RIHANNA - THE WEEKND - DOJA CAT
              98 - OUT

Comment

Also, people are making far more money while unemployment then they do working.
                Same phenomenon in Germany. And then you've got social parties even wanting to raise the unemployment wage...
                To be honest, my country should be much stricter there. Like: People should get unemployment wage for half a year at most. If they haven't found a new job in 6 months, their fault. They could apply to the job center and get money strictly connected to doing a public support job like cleaning the streets or something - no options to choose from because you had enough time to choose and be picky. Obviously, people who cannot work should receive long-term sickness or disability payment after having had a medical check-up, and that's alright. No state benefits for people who are too lazy to work though.
                Pro: freedom of speech
                Contra: cancel culture

Comment

I have a friend that is also a student. He told me he gets $900 per week from unemployment. That is an insane amount of money.

I took 4 months off when Covid first hit, so I can't say much. But, I love having a job. If something happens to my current job, I'll easily find another one based on the hiring rate.

Diva!!!

Comment

I have a friend that is also a student. He told me he gets $900 per week from unemployment. That is an insane amount of money.

I took 4 months off when Covid first hit, so I can't say much. But, I love having a job. If something happens to my current job, I'll easily find another one based on the hiring rate.
                    Is this in the US? In the UK students don't qualify for unemployment benefit and the rate is only 100 pounds a week. You can't really live on it. Covid was different I'm just talking in a standard non pandemic year.
                    Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                    Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

Originally posted by InFamous View Post

Is this in the US? In the UK students don't qualify for unemployment benefit and the rate is only 100 pounds a week. You can't really live on it. Covid was different I'm just talking in a standard non pandemic year.
                      Yes! Good Ole USA
                      Diva!!!

Comment

& I have noticed that it has been over 2 months since I have started this thread!

Now I do not really know exactly how the situation is in other countries these days, but here in the U.S. right now, we are STILL suffering through the LABOR SHORTAGE! It seems we have thousands of people afraid to go to work because of the pandemic, because of that, THINGS ARE BAD, EXTREMELY BAD! Like where I work @, we are so short-staffed that my co-workers & I are all working 50+ hours EVERY WEEK in order for us to stay open! & also my bf, my mom, & my dad are all working extra hours as well because of staffing shortages! & because we are all working more hours, my 2 kids are in a before & after school care program before school & after school since we have nobody else to take care of them while we are all working more hours! & it sucks, & there are NO SOLUTIONS to this since many people here in the U.S. are still not back to work, so the staff shortages will not end!

Comment

Pete said it’s because people have more dough and things are flying off the shelves. That’s the Biden spin.

we all know that’s not true.

#MakeAmericaGreatAgain

Comment

Originally posted by thatstheteacherinmehbaby View Post
                            & I have noticed that it has been over 2 months since I have started this thread!

Now I do not really know exactly how the situation is in other countries these days, but here in the U.S. right now, we are STILL suffering through the LABOR SHORTAGE! It seems we have thousands of people afraid to go to work because of the pandemic, because of that, THINGS ARE BAD, EXTREMELY BAD! Like where I work @, we are so short-staffed that my co-workers & I are all working 50+ hours EVERY WEEK in order for us to stay open! & also my bf, my mom, & my dad are all working extra hours as well because of staffing shortages! & because we are all working more hours, my 2 kids are in a before & after school care program before school & after school since we have nobody else to take care of them while we are all working more hours! & it sucks, & there are NO SOLUTIONS to this since many people here in the U.S. are still not back to work, so the staff shortages will not end!
                            Well has anything even been tried? From what I have read it seems like people are fed up with the terrible pay & terrible work conditions. Has your workplace, you know, tried to raise pay and offer some benefits?

DUA LIPA - RIHANNA - THE WEEKND - DOJA CAT
                            98 - OUT

Comment

Perhaps add some perks and learn from Google, Doggy Day Care.

Comment

Working...
                              X