This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anxiety, Depression & Mental Health

There are so many anti-depressants, just ask your doctor to try something different. If you take them at night, maybe take them minutes before going to bed, so they donít kick in until after youíre asleep?
    Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

#FreeBritney

Comment

Thanks guys!

I take them in the morning and my therapist even said that itĎs usual to take them a whole year, because otherwise the depression could come back stronger than it was before, which is why iĎm afraid of stopping it. She also said the alternative would be taking lithium, but that seems to have even more negative side effects from what iĎve heard...

Comment

Lithium is used for bipolar disorder, a condition where you have either periods of depression or periods of abnormally elevated mood.
        Lithium is not used to treat 'regular' depression.

For a major depression, most doctors prescribe substances of a drug class called 'SSRIs'. If one SSRI isn't working or not tolerated then you can switch to another one.
        My YouTube Channel - The best songs of the 80s, 90s and 2000s

Comment

Has anyone else suffered MI that arenít depression/anxiety? I feel like those two are the most accepted form of mental illness from society alongside PTSD.
          ? i bloom just for you ?

Comment

2015 was a horrible year for me... things were truly bad. Things got back on track, but now i feel like the depression/anxiety is coming back. Had to call out of work today because i was just not in the mood.
            Diva!!!

Comment

Re: Anxiety, Depression & Mental Healthbei

Being alone in a new country with difficulty to meet new people and make relationships that matter is taking a toll on me. More so when my family is with quite a few problems, and my long-distance relationship is somewhat deteriorating. I love my girlfriend too much and so I'm suffering a lot. Anxiety has creeped in and I feel like total shit sometimes.
              I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
              I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

Originally posted by DnBLover
                Being alone in a new country with difficulty to meet new people and make relationships that matter is taking a toll on me.
                Thatís definitely understandable and hard. Everyone thinks itís super easy to just go somewhere new and make friends. unless one is satisfied with just having lots of people to chitchat with at work without having a deeper relationship or actually being part of a proper group of friends, itís def hard

Especially when in a different country with a different language/culture.
                last.fm

Comment

Originally posted by DnBLover
                  Being alone in a new country with difficulty to meet new people and make relationships that matter is taking a toll on me. More so when my family is with quite a few problems, and my long-distance relationship is somewhat deteriorating. I love my girlfriend too much and so I'm suffering a lot. Anxiety has creeped in and I feel like total shit sometimes.
                  Awww stay strong sis! I'm sure you will meet some nice people and befriend them sooner or later ? and hopefully you can fix your realationship!
                  be kind to every kind (also the unkind kind!!!!! )

Comment

[spoiler:1fk44z5y]I guess I'm going thru anxiety these days. I did nothing with my life in these four years here in Austria, might lose my visa cuz I didn't study, can't study what I want now cuz they changed the rules this semester and might be stuck with sociology (that I like but don't see myself doing for the rest of my life).

I'm afraid for my future and everything feels so hopeless. And I'm supposed to study these days but I can't concentrate for my life. I'm an emotional mess and break down on a daily basis just to feel a bit better later and yhen it kicks in again. I hate myself rn and what I did out of my life and the chance I was given. Not to mention that the idea of talking to my parents about this makes me sick. And wishful thinking I had rights like all of my EU friends doesn't help at all cuz I cant change that. So yeah, I feel like shit and it might be too late to change and fix anything. Going back to Serbia is not an option as I would die out of embaressment from my parents and everyone I know, not to mention that I feel like I don't belong there not even 1% anymore and its the last thing I would want in my life.

So folks, me is a mess. Don't be like me.[/spoiler:1fk44z5y]

Comment

^ my advice: continue studying what youíre studying now (sociology i guess). If I understood correctly, you canít change it and the only other option is to go back to Serbia.

I know that sociology may not be what you want, but to be honest, a looot of people who studied humanities like that ended up working in different branches and domains. Graduating in sth =/= working in that domain (I am a good example )

You can still pursue other interests and improve yourself outside of college and eventually find some job you like.

This seems the best (only?) option and itís actually not as bad as you may think. Vienna is full of opportunities and def better than Serbia in that regard.

So sit yo ass down and hit the books!!! You can still do it!
                      last.fm

Comment

Originally posted by Serby
                        [spoiler:1wkzgdsr]I guess I'm going thru anxiety these days. I did nothing with my life in these four years here in Austria, might lose my visa cuz I didn't study, can't study what I want now cuz they changed the rules this semester and might be stuck with sociology (that I like but don't see myself doing for the rest of my life).

I'm afraid for my future and everything feels so hopeless. And I'm supposed to study these days but I can't concentrate for my life. I'm an emotional mess and break down on a daily basis just to feel a bit better later and yhen it kicks in again. I hate myself rn and what I did out of my life and the chance I was given. Not to mention that the idea of talking to my parents about this makes me sick. And wishful thinking I had rights like all of my EU friends doesn't help at all cuz I cant change that. So yeah, I feel like shit and it might be too late to change and fix anything. Going back to Serbia is not an option as I would die out of embaressment from my parents and everyone I know, not to mention that I feel like I don't belong there not even 1% anymore and its the last thing I would want in my life.

So folks, me is a mess. Don't be like me.[/spoiler:1wkzgdsr]
                        Why is Serbia not an option?

Comment

One of the main reason I left is cuz I promised to never live there again. Ever It'a too small, boring, closeminded etc obvs many love it there but for me it's a place of past life, I dont miss it a single bit.

Comment

Then focus on studying and stay in college so u can stay in the country. I know you have fantasies of studying portuguese and whatnot. But since you admit that you kinda messed up your situation, now itís time to stick through it.

Besides, after you get your bachelors degree, you can switch to sth else for the M.A.

itís not the end of the world (yet)!
                            last.fm

Comment

I'm in the limbo of not knowing if I'll get my next visa at all and this will take moooooonths. I think rn I just have too much on my mind and I find it hard to concentrate on anything, plus I feel like I'm not gonna be abke to finish sociology ever. Can't even take Portuguese masters if it comes to masters one day, so I feel like my future in best case still looks miserable. My life has to change 180 now and I need time to process that.

Comment

Also, I just remember what was high school like after I realised that the math is not for me (and it was a super special math kind of high school) and it makes me sick to think I'll have to go thru the same thing again and maybe till end of my life.

Not to mention I've been ignoring my parents cuz I can't deal with so many things at the same time and they would only make me feel even worse (tho not neccesarily their intention) and not to mention the coming out is stilk unsolved and I have no energy for anything.

Except for complaing, that's what I'm good at.

Comment

agree with Carbon. I already gave you basically the same advice as him:

stick with your current studies and focus on finishing them! That seems like the most reasonable decision taking everything in consideration.

Most of the jobs after you graduate have very little in common with your field of study.

Also I would recommend you to ask a prof you trust or a uni psychologist for advice on how to get your studies back on track! They can give you advice on how to organize yourself better and how to study effectively.
                                  BEAUTY IS A MUST, TALENT IS A PLUS
                                  98 - OUT

Comment

What aRat said.

Itís probably really overwhelming atm, but try not to crumble under the pressure and f up college cause it seems to be your only way to stay in Vienna.

And again, you will not have to do sociology for the rest of your life. Literally most people who finish this cant even find jobs as ďsociologistsĒ and end up doing sth else. Just get your bachelors degree and switch to sth else later.

You can still pursue and learn Pt on the side. If thereís anything Iíve learned from majoring in foreign languages is that itís overrated, full of unnecessary crap you need to learn and could even potentially ruin your love of the language (depends on the college ofc). You can totally achieve fluency and good cultural knowledge on your own or in a language course, and have a more useful degree on your resume.
                                    last.fm

Comment

Thank you sistrens!

Theres more details I didn' write that make all of this even scarier
                                      And after my studies I'll need a degree related job with a good salary to be able to even stay so if not gonna be good at this, even that is screwed. But I guess I have to think short term and deal with other things as they come.

Comment

Sis didn't wanna say it but you can also marry someone and that would also solve many of your problems. Especially now that ghey marriage is allowed in Germany. Get yourself a german daddy at the border and put a ring on it.
                                        BEAUTY IS A MUST, TALENT IS A PLUS
                                        98 - OUT

Comment

Sis,, with fpŲ at power now, they control marriages more than taxes.

Comment

I learned over the weekend that someone I knew took their life on Saturday night.

We weren't close friends but the immeasurable sense of loss that his friends and family must be feeling is not lost on me.

He was outwardly very happy and recently started up his own business - he appeared to be happy, and was very popular. But he was clearly in a lot of pain and anguish.

I seem to learn of people I know committing suicide most years, as I'm sure many other people here do - mental health is absolutely devastating.

I've been reflecting a lot today and I'm going to sticky this topic so it's constantly visible in our The Lounge section - if anyone feels sh1t or just wants to chat something through, you're free to use this topic and I'm sure people here will listen to you.

Comment

Sorry to hear Wayne - it feels like more younger people than ever are taking their lives in recent years.

Comment

I am bi-polar and my advice is to always keep your appts. with your shrink/therapist and take all of your meds. as directed...

Comment

reading the posts on the top of this page is saddening... forgot about this thread

sorry to hear about your friend/acquaintance, Wayne. great idea to sticky the topic.
                                                  last.fm

Comment

• No idea where to post, so I try it here.

Are there other people who are completely stressed out mentally because of the current situation we're in? Like the Coronavirus, people getting more and more toxic (online fanbases, social media in general) and the whole Trump presidency? It all only gets worse and the worse it gets, the more I feel like I'm from another planet, because I just don't get why people can be so stupid, hateful etc., it completely stresses me out.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X