Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkish language

Any thoughts on the Turkish language?

I've been gradually learning the ropes and I consider myself an A2 speaker now. It's a beautiful and rich language – not that difficult actually.

Woohoo.

I'm a language whore so I would def like to learn it sometime in future. Sounds really nice imo and Turks are everywhere here so it's also useful if you're a sneaky gossip bish that likes to know everyone's bussiness.

What are you using to learn it? If/when I start one day, I'll def go with Memrise for vocabulary and maybe some book for grammar. Tho Memrise announced they will make a new, grammar feature soon.
    be kind to every kind (also the unkind kind!!!!! )

Comment

Btw how come its not difficult? Do you think it's to do with your language talent? I also feel it gets easier and easier with each new language I learn, but Turkish would be first language ever to learn that is not related to any learned before (besides some words that ee still have in Serbian andd of Turkish 'stamm'?)

Comment

Originally posted by Serby
        Btw how come its not difficult? Do you think it's to do with your language talent? I also feel it gets easier and easier with each new language I learn, but Turkish would be first language ever to learn that is not related to any learned before (besides some words that ee still have in Serbian andd of Turkish 'stamm'?)
        First of all, Turkish using the Latin alphabet (unlike Arabic and Russian) made it much easier for me to study. Although your first language uses the Cyrillic script, I see you're not having difficulties with it either. Also, the grammar is relatively simple.

Funny thing, today's Turkish contains zillions of French loanwords e.g. asansör, aksesuar, enerji, orijinal, prenses. One of my favourites is probably matmazel (derived from mademoiselle).

Comment

What are you using to learn it? If/when I start one day, I'll def go with Memrise for vocabulary and maybe some book for grammar. Tho Memrise announced they will make a new, grammar feature soon.
          I bought some textbooks but listening to music and watching Turkish television has helped me a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Frederic
            First of all, Turkish using the Latin alphabet (unlike Arabic and Russian) made it much easier for me to study. Although your first language uses the Cyrillic script, I see you're not having difficulties with it either. Also, the grammar is relatively simple.

Funny thing, today's Turkish contains zillions of French loanwords e.g. asansör, aksesuar, enerji, orijinal, prenses. One of my favourites is probably matmazel (derived from mademoiselle).
            Actually, Serbian uses officialy both cyrilic and latin alphabet, latter being thaught in school right after we have learned the cyrilic and futhermore, Latin is (becoming) more common and it's used more (cuz of internet etc) and is only compulsory in official writings and national tv, otherwise its barely used, not even proffesors in school write in it outside Serbian classes. Everyone knows it, though.

The French derives lol we have a lot of Turkish derived words in serbian, like ortak or rospija. also ?aršav (bed sheets) etc

Comment

I bought some textbooks but listening to music and watching Turkish television has helped me a lot.
              Try memrise, really Its amazi g and you can ignore the words you already know or find easy.

Since few years ago, Turkish soaps completely dominate Serbian tv and hasmve replaced Latino soaps we had before, so I'm sure I have at least a bit of passive knoweldge and I know how it sounds.

Also, does it mean you also learned Russian and Arabic? I'd like to speak the latter one day lol but Russian is like the only language I dislike and Slavic languages in general are boring, besides maybe Polish.

Comment

I'd say you need a full-time study in order to fully grasp Arabic or Russian. I'll just settle with being fairly good at Spanish and German.

Will check Memrise out later, thanks.

Comment

Woohoo.

You are advanced so don't be turned off by Memrise being slow and easy, just ignore all the thigs you dont need. And I kind of prefer website to the app, tho app is good nonetheless.

Comment

You guys can ask anything anytime, i'd be happy to help.

Frederic, how do you listen to Turkish music? It's awful mostly
                    Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Yeah, it is but then again Serbs steal so many Turkish songs that we basically have the same music lol

Also, I love.me Turkish men lol such a orospiya, but knowing some Turkish would make it even easier then it's def not on my priority list now, but after Portuguese, Dutch and French (and Spanish), I might start Turkish or maybe also do it all along on a basic level.

Comment

Some Turkish men are really hot and lately they've become fluid.
                        Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by spiritboy
                          i need one right now.
                          My Chart

Comment

Since we have this fantastic topic, maybe someone will be able to explain some little doubts to a beginner like me.
                            First of all, I was reading that Turkish is a phonetic language meaning we pronounce all the letters and there are no silent ones. In this case what about ?? It doesn't have any sound, does it?

Comment

Lol I'm always fascinated by the turkish language and from time to time i hop on to some online turkish lessons to learn a bit here and there for fun.

Nevertheless i wish turkish people were a tad more into English language as if you don't speak Turkish in Istanbul it can be hard to make a conversation with those lovely people there.

Been reading UkMix everyday for well more than a decade now, and Here I am posting

Comment

Originally posted by maroon
                                Since we have this fantastic topic, maybe someone will be able to explain some little doubts to a beginner like me.
                                First of all, I was reading that Turkish is a phonetic language meaning we pronounce all the letters and there are no silent ones. In this case what about ?? It doesn't have any sound, does it?
                                The ? lengthens the preceding vowel so you do actually kind of pronounce it. For instance, a?aç (tree) is pronounced /a.at??/. Don't know if I'm making myself clear?

Comment

Originally posted by stevyy
                                  i need one right now.
                                  Should not be that difficult in Germany
                                  nekoo.cz - follow me

Comment

Originally posted by nekoocz
                                    Originally posted by stevyy
                                    i need one right now.
                                    Should not be that difficult in Germany
                                    Eww, most of them vote for Erdogan so it's a no for stevy i guess
                                    Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by maroon
                                      The ? lengthens the preceding vowel so you do actually kind of pronounce it. For instance, a?aç (tree) is pronounced /a.at??/. Don't know if I'm making myself clear?
                                      Hmm, in this case you just pronounce the a before and after it so obviously it has to be a long sound if the same letter appears twice but the ? itself has no sound, right?

Comment

My teacher taught me that ? is pronounced like a very very soft gamma (the Greek letter). Since I speak Greek, that made it very easy for me.

Comment

Let me dig this thread out.
                                          Is there really nobody trying to learn Turkish? My motivation is still strong.

I was wondering if Turkish speakers could understand Kurdish.

Comment

I am B1/B2 in Turkish speaking/writing and around C1/C2 in reading/listening. Its pretty easy to learn once you get used to its different structure/philosophy in comparison to other European languages.
                                            jio CHARTS NOW:6/7/2020:https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...2#post10427172

Comment

In terms of learning material I did have a teacher until B2 but I kept practicing after that. I think "Istanbul" books are the best I saw and then there is the Yunus Emre online radio and online lessons (for free) as well as the fantastic Turkish teatime podcast lessons (paid but worth it). I dont know if all these still exist or get updated but they were extremely useful
                                              Last edited by jio; Mon January 13th, 2020, 04:52.

Comment

Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                                                You guys can ask anything anytime, i'd be happy to help.

Frederic, how do you listen to Turkish music? It's awful mostly
                                                I tried multiple times to watch turkish serials just to practice but I found them oh so boring. But now I discovered "Avlu" on netflix which is pretty watchable so... Turkish music can be good but there seem to be loads and loads of trash around (just like greek music unfortunately. I do remember a time when most of the greek songs out where actually great, not so anymore I am afraid)

Comment

Originally posted by jio View Post

I tried multiple times to watch turkish serials just to practice but I found them oh so boring. But now I discovered "Avlu" on netflix which is pretty watchable so... Turkish music can be good but there seem to be loads and loads of trash around (just like greek music unfortunately. I do remember a time when most of the greek songs out where actually great, not so anymore I am afraid)
                                                  I advice you to watch "Şahsiyet". It's the only serial which i watched although i am a turkish man.

Comment

The Gift on Netflix was pretty good, the very first turkish show I’ve ever fully watched in 5-6 years.

Comment

I started it but it didn't keep me past episode 2 or 3 somehow... Onu izlemek başladım ama bıraktım... O kadar ilginç değildi (bana göre)

Comment

• Marchum
                                                        Marchum commented
                                                        Editing a comment
                                                        Onu izlemeye*

Great job!
                                                    Working...
                                                    X