Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkish language

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Turkish language

    Any thoughts on the Turkish language?

    I've been gradually learning the ropes and I consider myself an A2 speaker now. It's a beautiful and rich language – not that difficult actually.

  • #2
    Woohoo.

    I'm a language whore so I would def like to learn it sometime in future. Sounds really nice imo and Turks are everywhere here so it's also useful if you're a sneaky gossip bish that likes to know everyone's bussiness.

    What are you using to learn it? If/when I start one day, I'll def go with Memrise for vocabulary and maybe some book for grammar. Tho Memrise announced they will make a new, grammar feature soon.
    be kind to every kind (also the unkind kind!!!!! )

    Comment


    • #3
      Btw how come its not difficult? Do you think it's to do with your language talent? I also feel it gets easier and easier with each new language I learn, but Turkish would be first language ever to learn that is not related to any learned before (besides some words that ee still have in Serbian andd of Turkish 'stamm'?)
      be kind to every kind (also the unkind kind!!!!! )

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Serby
        Btw how come its not difficult? Do you think it's to do with your language talent? I also feel it gets easier and easier with each new language I learn, but Turkish would be first language ever to learn that is not related to any learned before (besides some words that ee still have in Serbian andd of Turkish 'stamm'?)
        First of all, Turkish using the Latin alphabet (unlike Arabic and Russian) made it much easier for me to study. Although your first language uses the Cyrillic script, I see you're not having difficulties with it either. Also, the grammar is relatively simple.

        Funny thing, today's Turkish contains zillions of French loanwords e.g. asansör, aksesuar, enerji, orijinal, prenses. One of my favourites is probably matmazel (derived from mademoiselle).

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Serby
          What are you using to learn it? If/when I start one day, I'll def go with Memrise for vocabulary and maybe some book for grammar. Tho Memrise announced they will make a new, grammar feature soon.
          I bought some textbooks but listening to music and watching Turkish television has helped me a lot.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Frederic
            First of all, Turkish using the Latin alphabet (unlike Arabic and Russian) made it much easier for me to study. Although your first language uses the Cyrillic script, I see you're not having difficulties with it either. Also, the grammar is relatively simple.

            Funny thing, today's Turkish contains zillions of French loanwords e.g. asansör, aksesuar, enerji, orijinal, prenses. One of my favourites is probably matmazel (derived from mademoiselle).
            Actually, Serbian uses officialy both cyrilic and latin alphabet, latter being thaught in school right after we have learned the cyrilic and futhermore, Latin is (becoming) more common and it's used more (cuz of internet etc) and is only compulsory in official writings and national tv, otherwise its barely used, not even proffesors in school write in it outside Serbian classes. Everyone knows it, though.

            The French derives lol we have a lot of Turkish derived words in serbian, like ortak or rospija. also ?aršav (bed sheets) etc
            be kind to every kind (also the unkind kind!!!!! )

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Frederic
              Originally posted by Serby
              What are you using to learn it? If/when I start one day, I'll def go with Memrise for vocabulary and maybe some book for grammar. Tho Memrise announced they will make a new, grammar feature soon.
              I bought some textbooks but listening to music and watching Turkish television has helped me a lot.
              Try memrise, really Its amazi g and you can ignore the words you already know or find easy.

              Since few years ago, Turkish soaps completely dominate Serbian tv and hasmve replaced Latino soaps we had before, so I'm sure I have at least a bit of passive knoweldge and I know how it sounds.

              Also, does it mean you also learned Russian and Arabic? I'd like to speak the latter one day lol but Russian is like the only language I dislike and Slavic languages in general are boring, besides maybe Polish.
              be kind to every kind (also the unkind kind!!!!! )

              Comment


              • #8
                I'd say you need a full-time study in order to fully grasp Arabic or Russian. I'll just settle with being fairly good at Spanish and German.

                Will check Memrise out later, thanks.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Woohoo.

                  You are advanced so don't be turned off by Memrise being slow and easy, just ignore all the thigs you dont need. And I kind of prefer website to the app, tho app is good nonetheless.
                  be kind to every kind (also the unkind kind!!!!! )

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    You guys can ask anything anytime, i'd be happy to help.

                    Frederic, how do you listen to Turkish music? It's awful mostly
                    Cha Cha Instructor

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yeah, it is but then again Serbs steal so many Turkish songs that we basically have the same music lol


                      Also, I love.me Turkish men lol such a orospiya, but knowing some Turkish would make it even easier then it's def not on my priority list now, but after Portuguese, Dutch and French (and Spanish), I might start Turkish or maybe also do it all along on a basic level.
                      be kind to every kind (also the unkind kind!!!!! )

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Some Turkish men are really hot and lately they've become fluid.
                        Cha Cha Instructor

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by spiritboy
                          Some Turkish men are really hot and lately they've become fluid.
                          i need one right now.
                          My Chart

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Since we have this fantastic topic, maybe someone will be able to explain some little doubts to a beginner like me.
                            First of all, I was reading that Turkish is a phonetic language meaning we pronounce all the letters and there are no silent ones. In this case what about ?? It doesn't have any sound, does it?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Lol I'm always fascinated by the turkish language and from time to time i hop on to some online turkish lessons to learn a bit here and there for fun.

                              Nevertheless i wish turkish people were a tad more into English language as if you don't speak Turkish in Istanbul it can be hard to make a conversation with those lovely people there.

                              Been reading UkMix everyday for well more than a decade now, and Here I am posting

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by maroon
                                Since we have this fantastic topic, maybe someone will be able to explain some little doubts to a beginner like me.
                                First of all, I was reading that Turkish is a phonetic language meaning we pronounce all the letters and there are no silent ones. In this case what about ?? It doesn't have any sound, does it?
                                The ? lengthens the preceding vowel so you do actually kind of pronounce it. For instance, a?aç (tree) is pronounced /a.at??/. Don't know if I'm making myself clear?

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by stevyy
                                  Originally posted by spiritboy
                                  Some Turkish men are really hot and lately they've become fluid.
                                  i need one right now.
                                  Should not be that difficult in Germany
                                  nekoo.cz - follow me

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by nekoocz
                                    Originally posted by stevyy
                                    Originally posted by spiritboy
                                    Some Turkish men are really hot and lately they've become fluid.
                                    i need one right now.
                                    Should not be that difficult in Germany
                                    Eww, most of them vote for Erdogan so it's a no for stevy i guess
                                    Cha Cha Instructor

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by Frederic
                                      Originally posted by maroon
                                      Since we have this fantastic topic, maybe someone will be able to explain some little doubts to a beginner like me.
                                      First of all, I was reading that Turkish is a phonetic language meaning we pronounce all the letters and there are no silent ones. In this case what about ?? It doesn't have any sound, does it?
                                      The ? lengthens the preceding vowel so you do actually kind of pronounce it. For instance, a?aç (tree) is pronounced /a.at??/. Don't know if I'm making myself clear?
                                      Hmm, in this case you just pronounce the a before and after it so obviously it has to be a long sound if the same letter appears twice but the ? itself has no sound, right?

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        My teacher taught me that ? is pronounced like a very very soft gamma (the Greek letter). Since I speak Greek, that made it very easy for me.

                                        Comment


                                        • #21
                                          Let me dig this thread out.
                                          Is there really nobody trying to learn Turkish? My motivation is still strong.

                                          I was wondering if Turkish speakers could understand Kurdish.

                                          Comment


                                          • #22
                                            I am B1/B2 in Turkish speaking/writing and around C1/C2 in reading/listening. Its pretty easy to learn once you get used to its different structure/philosophy in comparison to other European languages.
                                            jio CHARTS NOW:6/7/2020:https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...2#post10427172

                                            Comment


                                            • #23
                                              In terms of learning material I did have a teacher until B2 but I kept practicing after that. I think "Istanbul" books are the best I saw and then there is the Yunus Emre online radio and online lessons (for free) as well as the fantastic Turkish teatime podcast lessons (paid but worth it). I dont know if all these still exist or get updated but they were extremely useful
                                              Last edited by jio; Mon January 13th, 2020, 04:52.
                                              jio CHARTS NOW:6/7/2020:https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...2#post10427172

                                              Comment


                                              • #24
                                                Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                                                You guys can ask anything anytime, i'd be happy to help.

                                                Frederic, how do you listen to Turkish music? It's awful mostly
                                                I tried multiple times to watch turkish serials just to practice but I found them oh so boring. But now I discovered "Avlu" on netflix which is pretty watchable so... Turkish music can be good but there seem to be loads and loads of trash around (just like greek music unfortunately. I do remember a time when most of the greek songs out where actually great, not so anymore I am afraid)
                                                jio CHARTS NOW:6/7/2020:https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...2#post10427172

                                                Comment


                                                • #25
                                                  Originally posted by jio View Post

                                                  I tried multiple times to watch turkish serials just to practice but I found them oh so boring. But now I discovered "Avlu" on netflix which is pretty watchable so... Turkish music can be good but there seem to be loads and loads of trash around (just like greek music unfortunately. I do remember a time when most of the greek songs out where actually great, not so anymore I am afraid)
                                                  I advice you to watch "Şahsiyet". It's the only serial which i watched although i am a turkish man.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • #26
                                                    The Gift on Netflix was pretty good, the very first turkish show I’ve ever fully watched in 5-6 years.

                                                    Comment


                                                    • #27
                                                      I started it but it didn't keep me past episode 2 or 3 somehow... Onu izlemek başladım ama bıraktım... O kadar ilginç değildi (bana göre)
                                                      jio CHARTS NOW:6/7/2020:https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...2#post10427172

                                                      Comment


                                                      • Marchum
                                                        Marchum commented
                                                        Editing a comment
                                                        Onu izlemeye*

                                                        Great job!
                                                    Working...
                                                    X