Theatre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by menime123
    My 3rd favourite Sondheim song is ĎSend In The Clownsí from A Little Night Music.

This performance of the song is a masterclass in acting - Judi Dench is just sat on a chair surrounded by an orchestra in front of a crowd of thousands (and broadcast live on TV to thousands more). She never moves, never once takes her hands out of her lap, but performs the song with only her face and her voice:

[youtube:37a1nz3a]yvZex3Qf7QQ[/youtube:37a1nz3a]

Watch her face at the end - sheís absolute headtbroken, but you actually see the moment she stops acting and you realise just how amazing she truly is. Our absolute finest actress.
    How are they not standing for that performance? I've never seen this before, and I just wanted it to go on and on - it was mesmerising. God bless Dame Judi.

Comment

Re: Theatre

I went to go see Everybodyís Talking About Jamie the other week. I wouldnít have thought it would have been my cup of tea but it was largely brilliant. Soundtrack is immense, modern and refreshing.

I didnít realise The King & I was back in the West End, Iím gonna have to go see that at some point - mainly because Naoko Mori is in it.

Comment

Iím desperate to see TK&I - Stupid prices though. TodayTix is doing £25 rush tickets that appear to be unsold £150 premium seats, so if youíre going, try that avenue.

I love theatre, but Iím on a break atm. I havenít been at all this year.
        Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

#FreeBritney

Comment

Break to save money or just a break? Going to the theatre always sets me back a fair bit, I wish it were more accessible for everyone. Please tell me youíre seeing Company when it comes out in September.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan
            Break to save money or just a break? Going to the theatre always sets me back a fair bit, I wish it were more accessible for everyone. Please tell me youíre seeing Company when it comes out in September.

A break because I just CBA

I go (well, went) once a week minimum for the last few years and coupled with a health issue, I fell out with it a bit - the last thing I saw was Hamilton back in December.

Anyway, Iíve got a parental visit in 2 weeks so Iím booking to go see Mormon (4th visit) and The King and I. I want to see Orlando Bloom in Killer Joe too... I hear heís naked but itís for cultural purposes, I swear

In terms of cost, I hardly ever spend more than £25 a ticket (Mormon is £35, but itís worth it). I refuse to spend more - theatre is great, but thereís no need to spend much more than £25 - and mostly that gets me a great stalls seat.

I mean, if youíre flexible even Harry Potter tickets in the first few rows of the stalls can be found for £20 a part nowadays, and TodayTix is amazing for a bargain - I plan on getting rush tickets for £25 to The King & I as I refuse to pay their actual prices.

Are you not a member of one of the seat filling websites? I get tickets for £3.50. Mostly fringe stuff, but enough west end stuff (and o2 shows) pop on it to make it worth joining - I saw Kristin Chenoweth for £3.50

#FreeBritney

Comment

Oh, and yes I am booked to see Company (£25 dress slip) and The Lieutenant of Inishmore (£10 stalls) in August/September. I want to see Ian McKellenís King Lear but the prices are crazy and Iíve still not seen Dreamgirls. I really want to see Fun Home at the Young Vic and I canít wait for Come From Aways to start at the Phoenix - itís one of my favourite cast recordings.

#FreeBritney

Comment

I hadnít heard of TodayTix until you mentioned it so I will check that out. It makes sense that if you go often, youíd need to get them cheap. I normally end up paying £60 for a ticket.

Was the Cheno concert the one in the Palladium last year? I was there too, I paid considerably more than £3.50.

Comment

I hadnít heard of TodayTix until you mentioned it so I will check that out. It makes sense that if you go often, youíd need to get them cheap. I normally end up paying £60 for a ticket.

Was the Cheno concert the one in the Palladium last year? I was there too, I paid considerably more than £3.50.
                  No, the one before at the Royal Albert Hall.

TodayTix is an app - they go ĎRush Ticketsí which are usually £25 on the day of the show, and run daily lotteries - usually for £10/£15 front row seats. I used to queue up outside a theatre for 3 hours on a morning to buy day seats, but this is much easier.

The seat filling website I use to http://www.theaudienceclub.com - you get free membership I think to begin with and need to see so many shows to get full membership, which is £25 a year, then £3.50 a ticket. So usually if you see one west end show on it, youíve saved. West end shows arenít guaranteed though - itís usually when a show is dying a slow death that they end up on it. I know they had Mowtown on it recently, and that Quiz play, but previously Iíve seen The Bodyguard, We Will Rock You, Sunny Afternoon etc.

Never ever pay £60! Unless you have a specific date and time and a need to book in advance. Otherwise donít and ask - almost every show has discounts somewhere.

#FreeBritney

Comment

Yeah sometimes it is a pre-arranged thing with friends so we gotta kind of pay more to guarantee good seats. Thanks mate, Iíll try doing Rush tickets when Iím back from my holiday to see The King and I.

Comment

Just booked tickets to see Jeremy Jordan in September. The fan boy in me is thrilled AF

#FreeBritney

Comment

Off to see The King & I tonight

#FreeBritney

Comment

That's simply awesome
                          Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

Originally posted by heppolo
                            That's simply awesome

It better be. £25 front row. Bargain

#FreeBritney

Comment

Originally posted by heppolo
                              That's simply awesome

It better be. £25 front row. Bargain
                              Where did you get them from in the end?

Comment

Today Tix App.

#FreeBritney

Comment

Today Tix App.
                                  Excellent. Iíve downloaded the app so may go tomorrow to the matinee.

Comment

Today Tix App.
                                    Excellent. Iíve downloaded the app so may go tomorrow to the matinee.
                                    Do - itís amazing. We were bang in the middle of the front row. That OíHara woman makes singing look so freaking easy, as if itís not even a challenge.

#FreeBritney

Comment

Done it. Seat A7 in the stalls for £22, absolute bargain.

Comment

Done it. Seat A7 in the stalls for £22, absolute bargain.
                                        Have fun

Iím off to see Book of Mormon this afternoon. I just hope the mother appreciates it... sheís not a God fearing woman thankfully

#FreeBritney

Comment

I feel like people would either love Book of Mormon or just not appreciate it in the slightest.

Comment

Wow. That was one of the best musicals Iíve ever seen, I havenít even seen the film so had no idea what to expect. The whole cast were fantastic, especially OíHara and Watanabe as the leads, so funny and charming. Shout out to my girl Naoko whom I simply love it anything but I didnít realise she could sing that well until now. Iíd only ever seen her in clips from Avenue Q and this was much more demanding.

Comment

Wow. That was one of the best musicals Iíve ever seen, I havenít even seen the film so had no idea what to expect. The whole cast were fantastic, especially OíHara and Watanabe as the leads, so funny and charming. Shout out to my girl Naoko whom I simply love it anything but I didnít realise she could sing that well until now. Iíd only ever seen her in clips from Avenue Q and this was much more demanding.
                                              I canít find a single fault with it. It will never be my favourite musical but I appreciate the chance to see some amazing performers making the effort to come to the UK, to perform such a classic in such an historic venue.

But I love being so close the actors... you feel right up in amongst it all. Glad to have ticked another R&H musical off the list though

#FreeBritney

Comment

I feel like people would either love Book of Mormon or just not appreciate it in the slightest.

I agree, but I love it. Thankfully so did the Mother. But then some bright sod made her remember we were around the corner from Oxford Street so we ended up handbag shopping after... ah well, hasa diga eebowai.

#FreeBritney

Comment

I agree, but I love it. Thankfully so did the Mother. But then some bright sod made her remember we were around the corner from Oxford Street so we ended up handbag shopping after... ah well, hasa diga eebowai.
                                                  It felt weird that we were so close to each other this afternoon. I wouldíve love to have met your Mum. Gald she enjoyed BoM.

Comment

It felt weird that we were so close to each other this afternoon. I wouldíve love to have met your Mum. Gald she enjoyed BoM.

I know, you were quite literally only around the corner (and up the street a bit). I did see people coming away from the Palladium with programmes and thought anyone of them could have been you

#FreeBritney

Comment

Working...
                                                    X