Regifting - for or against?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regifting - for or against?

Regifting or regiving is the act of taking a gift that has been received and giving it to somebody else, sometimes in the guise of a new gift.

With Christmas out of the way and after a news story broke of President Trump regifting a present his son had bought him (by giving it back to his son as a present ), a debate occurred on this issue on a UK breakfast TV show this morning.

I'm conflicted on the issue, on the one hand I think I wouldn't have an issue regifting an item (the alternative is I throw it away or it gathers dust), on the other hand I understand those who think it's disingenuous and lacks gratefulness.
    Yes
    0.00%
    No
    100.00%

Re: Regifting - for or against?

If the alternative is to throw it away, then I'd rather regift though I'm not too sure about sending the gift back to the original sender as a new gift

Comment

From an exological perspective alone, def yes. If it's in good condition and useful, but would've end up in trash,, then I don't see why. This gifts culture went waaay too far and it might be a good idea to have less of it.
      be kind to every kind (also the unkind kind!!!!! )

Comment

I don't see why not! Ofcourse not to the original sender, but still them the present will be usefull instead of throwing it away or gathering dust

Comment

Usually i do not. But i received so many bottles of wine that I just gave one to my parents. The one with the ugliest label of course, it did not fit my interior!
          Eudaimonia
          Last.fm
          Instagram

Comment

I always re-gift wine and beer, I donít drink it.

The bigger problem is wrapping paper, what a horrible waste.
            THRILLER’S SOUNDS OF THE 90s

Comment

Originally posted by Thriller
              I always re-gift wine and beer, I donít drink it.

The bigger problem is wrapping paper, what a horrible waste.
              Agree 100%!

Comment

For it ofc. This is how I get most of my "to gift presents" anyway
                COMMON LOVE ISN'T FOR US...

Comment

I initially thought it would be quite rude if the gift giver finds out, but nothing should be wasted or sat in a drawer when it could be given to somebody who will appreciate and use it. Money is always the best thing to give for this very reason.

Comment

genuinely read this as "Religion - for or against" and was like oooh Wayne is starting some serious heated discussion! then I opened the thread
                    last.fm

Comment

I also re-gift alcohol (wine)... i don't use it.
                      My Chart

Comment

Originally posted by stevyy
                        Sometimes your posts made me think you had two bottles yourself in one sitting
                        Follow Me On Instagram

The FIRST user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING

Comment

I think regifting is great. Why keep it if you don't need it, or worse throw it away. I probably wouldn't gift it back to the person who bought it since they probably thought they could make me happy with it but to someone else? Definitely yes. I never use wrapping paper tbh, such a waste
                          aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

Originally posted by MusicRecords
                            That's why he doesn't need it
                            aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

oh darling, I only use Vodka.
                              My Chart

Comment

Nona mah bidn /edit

Comment

If I do regift something I don't pretend it's a gift from me. I just come forward and say: "Hey I got this, but I don't use it/need it and I think it would be more useful to you, so here!"

But usually I get stuff I use. I rarely regift.
                                  I have received many gifts from God,
                                  but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

Originally posted by beredy
                                    If I do regift something I don't pretend it's a gift from me. I just come forward and say: "Hey I got this, but I don't use it/need it and I think it would be more useful to you, so here!"
                                    Same. I always regift wine because I donít like it.
                                    last.fm

Comment

I banned my friends from buying me presents/gifts. If they wanna reward me so much, they can give me a bottle of alcohol or they can take me to a dinner.
                                      Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by spiritboy
                                        I banned my friends from buying me presents/gifts. If they wanna reward me so much, they can give me a bottle of alcohol or they can take me to a dinner.
                                        Come to Vienna and Iíll take u to dinner
                                        Follow Me On Instagram

The FIRST user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING

Comment

Originally posted by Carbon
                                          You do not like wine .
                                          Eudaimonia
                                          Last.fm
                                          Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Michiel
                                            You do not like wine .
                                            Nope, I find the taste unbearable, regardless of type or quality of the wine.

I'm not huge on alcohol in general aside from some drinks, but wine is like my least favourite of all
                                            last.fm

Comment

Originally posted by spiritboy
                                              Come to Vienna and Iíll take u to dinner
                                              Deal
                                              Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by Michiel
                                                You do not like wine .
                                                Nope, I find the taste unbearable, regardless of type or quality of the wine.

I'm not huge on alcohol in general aside from some drinks, but wine is like my least favourite of all
                                                Try "blush". It's like rosť but better tasting. It doesn't even feel like you're drinking wine
                                                Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Ugh, I also despise wine. But it seems to be such a popular gift,

And lager, champagne/fizz, beer, cider of any kind.

The only alcohol I like is certain spirits - gin, dark rum, vodka.

Comment

Omg. We should organise a UKMIX secret Santa next year!

Comment

For members who want to take part, they could all submit their addresses to Mrs Claus (a member who is not taking part in the gifting but is the organiser instead).

Then Mrs Claus randomly does the allocating. Next, she sends the address of each member to the secret Santa who picked them. It would be easier if all of the gifts were bought online and shipped directly to each other

Comment

^ That would be fun.

Regifting is basically breathing life into the phrase "one man's trash is another man's treasure". I'm totally down for it.
                                                        Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

It makes sense to regift instead of trashing something that could find good use and appreciation from someone else. I once received nippies from an old friend but I felt I was past see through tops. The most I can do is open back or shoulder less outfits such as body cons and of course there are tons of backless and great strapless bras for such occasions. I thus gave the pasties to my niece who is in showbiz.
                                                          Last edited by Sydneycl; Fri June 7th, 2019, 09:29.

Comment

Iconic post - nippies and pasties?
                                                            THRILLER’S SOUNDS OF THE 90s

Comment

Working...
                                                            X