Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#HardTalk: Are you FOR or AGAINST euthanasia/assisted suicide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who voted no? Expose them please!
    be kind to every kind (also the unkind kind!!!!! )

Comment

Why would people vote no? In order to fully stamp out homophobia and encourage tolerance it needs to be taught at schools from a young age. All it should be is letting little kids know not everyone is straight and some children have “two mummies” or “two daddies”. Nothing complicated. I think it would help a lot of children who are LGBTQ
      Fiat 500

Comment

Or enbies, not everyone identifies within the binary.

Comment

The transphobia in lgbt+ community is very present.

Comment

Originally posted by Serby View Post
            Who voted no? Expose them please!
            Nope - I would hope that those who did comment/have commented.

Comment

Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
              You're probably referring to this scenario, right?

If it was just that...
              5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

^ Dealing with parents is the worst thing of being a teacher these days.
                My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

I think it should form part of the curriculum for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                    ^ Dealing with parents is the worst thing of being a teacher these days.
                    I wasn’t lucky, I had really good parents on the whole. For me it was the damn assessment, tracking and monitoring. Data scrutiny should not be a teacher’s job!

Comment

Last month I was telling the children we were going on holiday and one of them asked: "Why are you going on holiday with D.?"
                      And I responded: "Because he his my husband of course."
                      Before I could say anything else, one of the boys yelled: "Which is very normal. You can marry a boy or a girl. It's okay!"
                      I guess he was trained by his parents.
                      My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

It absolutely should be taught from a young age that it's Ok to have '2 Mummies' or '2 Daddies'. That's basically all they are being told at that age, not the indoctrination that is being claimed by some of the parents. The hypocrisy couldn't be more stark. They literally are indoctrinating their children with religion, whereas being homosexual is a natural part of our biology.

Children need to know it's OK to be different. The consequences otherwise lead to a very dark place, like bullying, low self esteem or even suicide. Some of us still remember a time when we were told it was a perversion, disgusting etc .. children should never have to grow up feeling there is something wrong with them for loving another human being, whatever their gender.
                        It might sound like I'm an unapologetic bitch
                        But sometimes you know I gotta call it like it is

Comment

Should LGBT issues be taught in school from a young age?

UKMIX is unanimously in favour of teaching LGBT issues in school from a young age, as almost 86% of the respondees voted in favour of it (14% voted against it - though disappointingly, the 14% didn't raise their views in the topic).

The benefits are very real according to critics who support it, Stonewall writes:

Teaching about the diversity that exists in the world means that children from all families feel included and helps all young people understand that LGBT people are part of everyday life. Lots of schools, including faith schools, have been doing this work for years. Different families, same love. Simple. At secondary level, a growing number of schools are meeting the needs of their LGBT pupils.

Comment

It is possibly the most divisive social and ethical issue of them all: the issue of euthanasia - or assisted suicide. In other words, helping someone with a terminal illness to die, on their own terms and when they choose to do so. The BBC defines it as:

Euthanasia is the termination of a very sick person's life in order to relieve them of their suffering. A person who undergoes euthanasia usually has an incurable condition. But there are other instances where some people want their life to be ended. In many cases, it is carried out at the person's request but there are times when they may be too ill and the decision is made by relatives, medics or, in some instances, the courts. The term is derived from the Greek word euthanatos which means easy death.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/euthanas...oduction.shtml
                            The act of euthanasia is illegal in most countries (in the UK, you'll land yourself in prison for up to 14 years for it - whether you support the act of assisted suicide as a relative or a doctor, the law is the law). The BBC writes that at the height of the issue is:
                            • is it ever right to end the life of a terminally ill patient who is undergoing severe pain and suffering?
                            • Under what circumstances can euthanasia be justifiable, if at all?
                            • Is there a moral difference between killing someone and letting them die?

There are many reasons people choose to die - unbereable pain, diminished quality of life, difficulty breathing, eating and drinking and then more psychological factors such as depression, fearing a loss of control or dignity, feeling a burden and watching those you love burdened by having to take care of their dying relatives.

But killing someone is killing someone, right? Surely all life is precious, and only when your body is physically ready to give up should you die (after all, you only get one shot at life). Further, what about those who choose to die early on in their terminal diagnosis - there might be medical developments that cure their illness?

The issue is endless - but how does UKMIX feel about euthanasia - are you FOR or AGAINST? Vote in the poll and let us know your views!

Comment

I am for it because when you are terminally ill, you should be able to decide for yourself how and when to die.
                              My Chart

Comment

Briefly, as the arguments are very complex, I am 'For'. I've seen such terrible suffering that people have had to endure, including friends, because the law says doctors must keep people alive. Some have had such a terrible quality of life, and the irony is this is done in the name of humanity when we actually show our pets more thought and kindness. We would never allow a sick animal to suffer yet we are quite prepared to see another human being going through hell. There obviously needs to be strict safeguards in place to protect the vulnerable, but overall in a compassionate society I don't see how we can continue to allow people to suffer needlessly.
                                Last edited by Madgefan; Sun July 21st, 2019, 00:51.

Comment

I am totally in favour of it.

If I were terminally ill, I would want to end my life on my own terms. I am not going to waste away in some hospital. If my partner wanted assistance, I would offer it gladly in the same scenario. I hate the idea, but if a parent or sibling asked, I’m almost certain I’d have the strength to do it.

This is me going off on a tangent, but I also think you should be able to legally end your life with assistance too - not just when you’re terminally ill.

There should be caveats (e.g. of sound mind and not suffering from a treatable illness like cancer or depression) to ensure your decision isn’t impaired, but I have always believed that you have to do right by yourself and that you can only live in the moment: if you want to end your life then that is your right. I find it quite interesting we are happy to allow abortions yet refuse to allow legal termination of your own life.

In the UK I don’t think euthanasia will ever be legalised. We are a kingdom and our monarchy is incredibly tied to faith - our monarch’s official title includes the words ‘defender of faith’. No British government would ever be able to pass legislation that would compromise the monarch in such a way: the Defender of Faith couldn’t sign a bill (thus making it law) that directly contradicted their faith, and to ask them to would spark a constitutional crisis... unless the monarch had already agreed to drop the title before the bill passed (which could happen in the future but almost certainly not in any of our lifetimes).
                                  M08T10

Comment

Originally posted by stevyy View Post
                                    I am for it because when you are terminally ill, you should be able to decide for yourself how and when to die.
                                    This.

Comment

I overall agree with menime123
                                      Though my grandpa actually has assisted suicide for cancer since the cancer was through his whole body and he could either live one month longer with loads of pain or die with dignity assisted and with a worthy goodbye.

I also think people should have the option. It could prevent an amount of the people who jump off bridges and buildings etc. to do it there and do it safe and assisted. I am not talking about depression, but some people are just done with life and even if you put them 10, 30 or 50 years in therapy, they just will literally live with pain since living on it's own is already pain inducing.

Comment

Yes, for it. A person in sound mind should be able to choose to end their life.

Comment

Originally posted by menime123;7105914

In the UK I don’t think euthanasia will ever be legalised. We are a kingdom and our monarchy is incredibly tied to faith - our monarch’s official title includes the words [i
                                          ‘defender of faith’.[/i] No British government would ever be able to pass legislation that would compromise the monarch in such a way: the Defender of Faith couldn’t sign a bill (thus making it law) that directly contradicted their faith, and to ask them to would spark a constitutional crisis... unless the monarch had already agreed to drop the title before the bill passed (which could happen in the future but almost certainly not in any of our lifetimes).
                                          I think your final paragraph is something of a distraction and irrelevance to the issue. There have been numerous occasions where parliament has passed laws that would directly contradict the religious beliefs of the monarch. We only have to look at divorce and same sex marriage for examples. The Queen is only a figurehead, and ironically enough it would be her refusal to give Royal Assent to a law passed by the country's parliament that would spark a constitutional crisis. Parliament is our democratically elected law making body, the Queen pretty much just rubber stamps anything they pass to her.

Given that we are now a multicultural society, with many beliefs, and that the majority of people now say they have no religion at all , modern Britain has long since passed the stage whereby religious beliefs could hold back progress. State and religion should always be separate. Government should always be secular.

Comment

All life is precious is really such a bullshit statement on today's capitalist world. I am pro euthanasia no doubt.
                                            I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
                                            I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

Wow - are we heading for our first 100% poll win? I thought UKMIX would be more divided over this issue. But pleased to see we’re not - I am of course in favour of euthanasia (providing the decision is supported by a medical professional).

Comment

Working...
                                              X