• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aRat
    replied
    Originally posted by nympho View Post
    From Billboard:

“Interestingly, not only does Jacob Collier's Djesse, Vol. 3 then become the first album in Grammy history to receive an album of the year nomination before making the Billboard 200, but Black Pumas' self-titled album comes just one spot away from sharing the honors -- the deluxe edition of their debut bowed at No. 200 on the chart dated Oct. 24, 2020, falling off the listing altogether the next week.”

Most random AOTY nominations ever...
    The AOTY noms were set up so Tayloo could sweep. It's clear as day that she is taken that one again

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied
    Well, if The Weeknd thinks Grammys are corrupt, he shouldn't submit any of his work in the future. Maybe one by one artists will join him and that might force Grammys to re-consider their voting system.

Leave a comment:

• AndiIversen
    replied
    of course Twitter confusing Maradona with Madonna

Leave a comment:

• nympho
    replied
    From Billboard:

“Interestingly, not only does Jacob Collier's Djesse, Vol. 3 then become the first album in Grammy history to receive an album of the year nomination before making the Billboard 200, but Black Pumas' self-titled album comes just one spot away from sharing the honors -- the deluxe edition of their debut bowed at No. 200 on the chart dated Oct. 24, 2020, falling off the listing altogether the next week.”

Most random AOTY nominations ever...

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    I repeat, I’m with The Weeknd and I feel like he had the right to speak up. I totally support him.

This is the worst case of a snub I have ever seen at the Grammys (literally ever!).

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied
    Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
    The Weeknd is just finding out right now how corrupted the Grammys are. He didn’t know that before.

He experienced it behind the scenes this year when he had to deal with the Grammys being mad at him for choosing SB and punishing him for that. He’s shocked and has the right to speak.
    Then why did he say " The Grammys remain corrupt" Because that suggests that he considered them corrupt before. His choice of wording does not imply that he only found out something right now.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
    In an ideal world, people would stop wanting to cancel things just because it doesn't fit their ideals and live with different people simply having different opinions and following different appraches.
    I don’t think anything should be cancelled. But I do think they did wrong to The Weeknd.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    In an ideal world, people would stop wanting to cancel things just because it doesn't fit their ideals and live with different people simply having different opinions and following different appraches.

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied
    Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
    Nah, Grammys won't be cancelled, it'll still be respected and people will forget about the snub the moment their faves are nominated.
    Twitter is a mess today and last night. The Selena fans are screaming snubbed. Some of Gaga's fans are screaming snubbed. It's like as you said, as long as their fave is nominated it's all good. Like unless you are consistent in your outrage, you will never be taken seriously. And that is true for everything in life, not just the Grammys.

Bottom line, the show will go on, the awards will be handed out, winners will celebrate, losers will cry, fans will meltdown and drag. It's all just part of the show
    Plus a Grammy win does not always do something for someone - poor Bruno Mars was basically bullied out of the industry after he won his award, looking back he probably would have been better off to lose.

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied
    Nah, Grammys won't be cancelled, it'll still be respected and people will forget about the snub the moment their faves are nominated.

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied

Her name is mentioned, that is correct. It still doesn't seem to me like anyone considered her album a frontrunner for any award. It still doesn't take anything away from fans who genuinely enjoyed it.
    Well I never claimed she was a frontrunner to win, nor did I personally expect Smile to be nominated, but that has nothing to do with what I actually wrote which was simply that she was mentioned in every article regarding big names who were left out of the nominations. I didn't even know she had submitted anything tbh.

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied
    At least that horrendous Fetch the bolt Cutters album was not included in AOTY. My faith in the Grammy's have been somewhat restored.

Rihab The Grammys will go ahead even if that tweet had 5 million likes. People have been screaming Grammy's cancelled for the last ten years and guess what. every year the submissions are sent in. And they will be sent in next year also, and the year after that.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Originally posted by Rihab View Post

1 Million likes and 250k replies, Grammys cancelled.
    Yeah. I’m with him. It’s not logical for “Blinding Lights” at least to not get a nomination. No sense at all.

I honestly don’t buy the theory that he didn’t get enough votes. This is the result of something fishy going on behind the scenes.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    Originally posted by InFamous View Post

Katy Perry's name has basically been mentioned in every article published today about the Grammys.
    Her name is mentioned, that is correct. It still doesn't seem to me like anyone considered her album a frontrunner for any award. It still doesn't take anything away from fans who genuinely enjoyed it.

-----

In general: I assume that around 10-15 new albums are released each week, which means a total of way more than 500 albums per year in the US alone. For AOTY, 8 albums are nominated each year with just one eventually winning. For that reason alone, it's clear that you can't be guaranteed an award just for releasing something. It's clear that if you work hard on your piece of art for months or years, you want other people to like that. It's almost impossible for everyone to like it though and the Grammys are aware of that. They try to find a bridge between many people's different tastes in music and sometimes they go for the obvious leader in all fields (e.g. Adele's '21') and sometimes they go for the underdog (e.g. Esparanza Spalding). It's basically a game and sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied

1 Million likes and 250k replies, Grammys cancelled.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Originally posted by InFamous View Post
    Katy Perry's name has basically been mentioned in every article published today about the Grammys.
    Well I mean ... Snubbed at the VMAs, Snubbed at the AMAs, Snubbed at the PCA’s .... if someone was expecting nominations at the Grammys for her was out of delusion perhaps? ..

.. Not to mention she’s been snubbed by the Grammys since “Dark Horse” in 2014 or something. . . So why would she get a nod with this clown album?

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    The Weeknd is just finding out right now how corrupted the Grammys are. He didn’t know that before.

He experienced it behind the scenes this year when he had to deal with the Grammys being mad at him for choosing SB and punishing him for that. He’s shocked and has the right to speak.

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied
    “Smile” didn’t deserve any nomination (and no one was expecting nominations from her either) ...
    According to you ? You ?

In fact Katy has been mentioned by many publications, including Billboard, today as one of the big names who was excluded from the nominations.

ETonline - There just weren't enough pop nominations to go around this year, which unfortunately meant no nods for pop queens Katy Perry and Selena Gomez, both of whom released some of the most interesting and introspective music of their careers. Perry's sixth studio album, Smile, led by singles "Never Really Over," "Harleys in Hawaii" and "Daisies," received no recognition, nor did Gomez's Rare, its titular single, "Look at Her Now" or "Lose You to Love Me."

People - Although not critically acclaimed, fans were surprised to see Selena Gomez, Katy Perry and Halsey left off the nominations list.
    Gomez released her album Rare in January and would have earned her first-ever nomination. Perry, who has previously been nominated 13 times, failed to pick up any nods for her latest album, Smile. Meanwhile, Halsey, who was nominated twice in 2016, didn't make the list for her album Manic.

Billboard - Glaring Omissions - The Grammy dry spell continues for the 13-time-nominated Perry, after scoring no nominations for her polarizing 2017 effort "Witness." Her latest album, "Smile," was hardly a critics' favorite, but could have snuck into a fairly wide-open pop field, with its hooky title track and introspective "What Makes a Woman."

Plus - Grammys 2021: The Biggest Snubs and Surprises
    Similarly, Halsey and Selena Gomez both had major albums that sported Hot 100-topping singles in “Without Me” and “Lose You To Love Me,” respectively, but neither could secure a single nod. There are other examples, too -- Katy Perry will have to wait another year to try and win her first career Grammy, and 5 Seconds of Summer stillhasn’t received a nod -- which makes the relative newcomers who did score nominations this year, like Doja Cat for “Say So,” all the more impressive.

​​​​​Also theMathematician I really find it bizarre how you have been talking and discussing albums that you claim to have not even listened to. I mean how can you have an opinion on or be subjective about something you haven't even heard, according to you ?

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied
    There are many artists that have more Grammy Awards than Madonna or Mariah yet they are nowhere near their status. Which means Grammy Awards are insignificant as hell.

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied
    I mean Halsey also cried about being nominated last year. It's not going to make a difference at the end of the day. He has no issue with them being corrupted when he gladly accepted the awards he was given in the past.

If you genuinely think something is corrupted walk away from it. Otherwize it just looks hollow when you protest.

Leave a comment:

• BeeBoy
    replied
    Funny thing is the whole industry is corrupted so this outrage is really funny to me. Whether it;s radio, streaming playlisting or awards. Hello, the other awards give it to the ones showing up mostly or let some twitter bots decide who gets the award His peers didn't vote for him (at least safe to say in all the pop categories) and that's it. Whether that's justified or not is subjective. He can voice his opinion but that doesn't make it the truth

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Anyways. From what I’m reading there was indeed an internal conflict between the Grammys and The Weeknd due to his Super Bowl performance. He chose SB over a Grammy performance which apparently sealed his destiny with the Academy.

The Weeknd already publicly called the Grammys out and called them a corrupted award show.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Originally posted by menime123 View Post

Not AOTY.
    But that’s not a snub ... that’s simply one category (perhaps your personal expectations were too high) . However he was nominated so he wasn’t technically snubbed.

Leave a comment:

• menime123
    replied
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    Which is why they’re insignificant.

Leave a comment:

• menime123
    replied

But he was nominated and got like 3/4 nominations LOL.
    Not AOTY.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X