X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goldmoney
    replied
    Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post

I believe that compromises were made in the beginning. And I know Whitney got a lot of backlash like at the BET awards early in her career.

That said, I just checked the wiki for her and I am surprised to see she did about as well on the R&B chart as the AC chart until MYILY. Sixteen top ten songs on R&B before Bodyguard and 14 of them also made the AC top ten. I mean that makes me think she was more embraced early in her career than I imagined?

Well at first Whitney was openly embraced by the black community because every wall imaginable that was being used to oppress us before was being broken and torn down one by one. It was all very yt washed as Clive Davis envisioned it but we overlooked it because we finally had our black empress that was going to take over the world. Things didn’t really start to plod and hit the fan until Whitney and the IWDWS video - lawdt! People were appalled! “Why does our black empress look like a mall queen?” After that, it was just a dreary Karen ballad after dreary Karen ballad and while she was still performing respectably on the commercialized, easily Clive manipulated R&B chart, Whit’s street cred took a huge hit and she was falling out of favor with the black audience. Everything finally went to a head at the 1988 Soul Train Music Awards where she was booed lightly by an audience of her own peers and people when her name was announced for a category. I don’t think she attended the awards that night so she didn’t really feel the sting of that reaction. By this point, you would think now would be the time for damage control but nope! More Karen ballads followed until R&B radio finally said, “Enough. Enough of this Karen BS!” As a result, “One Moment In Time” became her first song to miss the R&B top 20. To add insult to injury, for the second year in a row, Whit was booed at the 1989 Soul Train Music Awards (and by all accounts HEAVILY, because it was edited out of the broadcast). Whitney actually attended that year and was devasted and hurt that her own people could do this to her. But instead of turning her backs on them and falling further down the Kabyss, it was at that point she knew something had to be done and fast. A few months later, Whit started to pick up the pieces of shattered black glass by collaborating with the #1 black empress of all time - Hateretha! Boom, an immediate top 5 on R&B. Whit was making her comeblack. I’m Your Baby Tonight came a year later and the rest is history. Everybody’s fros and weaves were scalped and flown to Mars, never to be seen again. The single was a #1 SMASHA on R&B! I‘m so glad Whitney got her redemption! NEVA AGAIN WILL MY COMMUNITY TAKE MY NAME IN VAIN!

We haven’t. Even during the plagued drug scandals of the late 90s/2000s, while everybody else was mocking her and tarnishing her legacy, we stuck by our queen.

Leave a comment:

• Leviathan
    replied
    The AC chart was sorta like the CHR chart of the 60s-80s, it seems.

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied
    Originally posted by stevyy View Post

Preachers Wife is like the best album ever made. When I play it... I get my holy on and I feel the spirit of the Stanlord in my bones.
    It made the top 10 in your hole!

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied
    Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
    jbjnkjonhhjjku I missed it the first time. Sis, I can do worse than “do this to you”. That’s all I’ll say.
    What ?!

Leave a comment:

• cheapthrills
    replied
    Only because artists of color were sadly forced to Karenize their music for any substantial attention/airplay. Very rarely did legitimate black sounds crossover into the Karen chart. GOAT is one anomaly I can think of (#3 - one of the small handful of R&B crossovers on that chart in the 2000s). Another one that pops into my head is your kween’s “I’m Your Baby Tonight”. Whitney was so adamant on winning her people back after they disowned her on the last record that she went balls out chocolate on that song (with a rap and everything ]
    I believe that compromises were made in the beginning. And I know Whitney got a lot of backlash like at the BET awards early in her career.

That said, I just checked the wiki for her and I am surprised to see she did about as well on the R&B chart as the AC chart until MYILY. Sixteen top ten songs on R&B before Bodyguard and 14 of them also made the AC top ten. I mean that makes me think she was more embraced early in her career than I imagined?

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied
    Oh yeah, I forgot about this cute lil one-off she had in store for the European holes. It was probably her biggest EU hit since IWALY, but didn’t break the top 25 on the chocolate singles chart, her lowest entry there in some time.
    Count on me outpeaked that in the UK

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied
    Originally posted by InFamous View Post

That song is very hard to sing. That was take 18 since last night. Some of them were unlistenable especially the ones I did without the music. Whitney makes everything seem so easy.

Did you like your shoutout ?
    jbjnkjonhhjjku I missed it the first time. Sis, I can do worse than “do this to you”. That’s all I’ll say.

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied
    There, was that so hard?
    That song is very hard to sing. That was take 18 since last night. Some of them were unlistenable especially the ones I did without the music. Whitney makes everything seem so easy.

Did you like your shoutout ?

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied

The best part of her career tbh. I rarely listen to her early work ( apart from live performaces)

Also..

https://voca.ro/14IZsAfjfeHf
    There, was that so hard?

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied

The best part of her career tbh. I rarely listen to her early work ( apart from live performaces)

Also..

I also don't play her first 2 albums that often... my go-to records are:

01 - Preachers
    02 - My Love
    03 - ILTY
    04 - Just Whitters
    05 - Bootyguard
    06 - I'm your baby tonite
    07 - One Wish

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    That 5-year period of nothing but pure chocolate music elevated Whit - the trinity of Exhale, Preacher’s Wife, and My Love Is Your Love.
    Preachers Wife is like the best album ever made. When I play it... I get my holy on and I feel the spirit of the Stanlord in my bones.

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied
    That 5-year period of nothing but pure chocolate music elevated Whit - the trinity of Exhale, Preacher’s Wife, and My Love Is Your Love.

Also..

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied
    Oh yeah, I forgot about this cute lil one-off she had in store for the European holes. It was probably her biggest EU hit since IWALY, but didn’t break the top 25 on the chocolate singles chart, her lowest entry there in some time.

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied
    Wow the My Love is your love album really elevated Whitney I guess. Didn't she win an R&B Grammy in 2000 ?

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Wow the My Love is your love album really elevated Whitney I guess. Didn't she win an R&B Grammy in 2000 ?
    Tis was my 2nd Whitty album (after the Bootyguard) that I have bought by ha. The album sold like 4 million copies in Germania and produced 8 #1 singles. My Love is Your Love is one of our national anthems... (it comes right after every Nelly Furtado song).

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Only R&B/Hip Hop - so it’s pretty much the top 50 biggest acts ever on the chocolate singles chart.

19 Drake

Aside from a couple of troubling entries, this is a list I can get behind.
    he is way too polished and pop and talent free to make any kind of alltime list. Aside from his mixtape EP and his first 2 studio albums... the man only produced noise that has nothing to do with the artistic graces of music.

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Ironic that a ghey man is the most successful Karen artist of all time.
    ... a ghey man who behaves like a white 48 y.o. straight woman. Elton John is to music what Martina Navratilova is for tennis... they always slither into everyone's conversation and have this weird authority and are somehow taken seriously.

BTW... if pop girls were automobile brands... who would be the Porsche, Ferrari and who would be the Fiat?

Mariah would be a Maybach... old, dusty... and yet legendary among 69 y.o. white men with erectile dysfunctions. Her label now would be Mercedes Benz.

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied

Do you have the list of the top 50 R&B artists of all time ?
    Only R&B/Hip Hop - so it’s pretty much the top 50 biggest acts ever on the chocolate singles chart.

1 The Temptations
    2 Aretha Franklin
    3 Stevie Wonder
    4 James Brown
    5 Michael Jackson
    6 Marvin Gaye
    7 The Isley Brothers
    8 Gladys Knight & The Pips
    9 R. Kelly
    10 Mary J. Blige
    11 The O’Jays
    12 Luther Vandross
    13 Prince
    14 Earth, Wind & Fire
    15 Whitney Houston
    16 The Jacksons
    17 Janet Jackson
    18 Mariah Carey

19 Drake
    20 Jay-Z
    21 Usher
    22 Kool & The Gang
    23 The Supremes
    24 Chaka Khan
    25 Beyonce
    26 Al Green
    27 Four Tops
    28 Lil’ Wayne
    29 The Commodores
    30 Rihanna
    31 Freddie Jackson
    32 Alicia Keys
    33 Diana Ross
    34 Barry White
    35 Keith Sweat
    36 The Miracles
    37 Chris Brown
    38 Eminem
    39 Teddy Pendergrass
    40 Ray Charles
    41 Cameo
    42 Smokey Robinson
    43 Rick James
    44 Issac Hayes
    45 The Impressions
    46 The Spinners
    47 The Gap Band
    48 2Pac
    49 Natalie Cole
    50 The Whispers

Aside from a couple of troubling entries, this is a list I can get behind.
    Last edited by Goldmoney; Sun August 8, 2021, 18:59.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    So, what we've learned is that provocative Madonna is also a wholesome Karen legend? Makes sense... bc every Karen loves to move them vacuum cleaners while jamming to LikaVirgin. And when they hubbies cum home from their 9 to fives, they get naughty in the slackers - it's like human.... nature.

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied
    I am not the biggest fan of Whit's second album. IYBT is a stunning record although I prefer the European version of the single.

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied
    Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
    OK I'll admit my mind is kind of blown that I count (I think) eight people/acts of color in that list.
    Only because artists of color were sadly forced to Karenize their music for any substantial attention/airplay. Very rarely did legitimate black sounds crossover into the Karen chart. GOAT is one anomaly I can think of (#3 - one of the small handful of R&B crossovers on that chart in the 2000s). Another one that pops into my head is your kween’s “I’m Your Baby Tonight”. Whitney was so adamant on winning her people back after they disowned her on the last record that she went balls out chocolate on that song (with a rap and everything ) and mission accomplished - it stormed to #1 on the chocolate singles chart. Yet, somehow, it went top 10 on the Karen chart too.

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied
    Do you have the list of the top 50 R&B artists of all time ?

Leave a comment:

• cheapthrills
    replied
    OK I'll admit my mind is kind of blown that I count (I think) eight people/acts of color in that list.

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied
    Last edited by Goldmoney; Sun August 8, 2021, 18:13.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X