No announcement yet.

Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think the practice of eliminating singles in the 90s helped sales then, but hurt labels in the long run. Things like Napster arose because people didn't want to buy the entire album for one song, and they gave no other option.

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
      I think the practice of eliminating singles in the 90s helped sales then, but hurt labels in the long run. Things like Napster arose because people didn't want to buy the entire album for one song, and they gave no other option.
      Only in the USA, I guess. I have never been unable to buy a single here.
      My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Yeah that strategy was only a thing in the US.

Songs like No Doubt's "Don't Speak" (16 weeks at #1 on the US Radio) and Natalie Imbruglia's "Torn" (11 weeks at #1 on the US Radio) would have been undeniable #1 hits on the Hot 100 but rules (back then) didn't allow them to chart on airplay alone and without a physical release.

the rule was corrected eventually as it was unfair and songs were allowed to chart based on airplay but some labels still kept not releasing singles (physically) in order to boost albums sales (in consequence sacrificing singles peaks and even potential #1 hits on the Hot 100), Britney's label used this strategy a LOT during the first years of her career, she lost an undeniable #1 Hot 100 hit with "Oops I Did It Again" (song) because of this ... But on the other hand her first two albums went Diamond.

Back in the day (80s, 90s and early 00s) getting good album sales was very important for artists and labels, those artists who sold the most albums were considered the most prestigeous and powerful music acts in the industry. Similar to how today those who get the best streaming results are ruling.
        Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
          Yeah that strategy was only a thing in the US.

Songs like No Doubt's "Don't Speak" (16 weeks at #1 on the US Radio) and Natalie Imbruglia's "Torn" (11 weeks at #1 on the US Radio) would have been undeniable #1 hits on the Hot 100 but rules (back then) didn't allow them to chart on airplay alone and without a physical release.

the rule was corrected eventually as it was unfair and songs were allowed to chart based on airplay but some labels still kept not releasing singles (physically) in order to boost albums sales (in consequence sacrificing singles peaks and even potential #1 hits on the Hot 100), Britney's label used this strategy a LOT during the first years of her career, she lost an undeniable #1 Hot 100 hit with "Oops I Did It Again" (song) because of this ... But on the other hand her first two albums went Diamond.

Back in the day (80s, 90s and early 00s) getting good album sales was very important for artists and labels, those artists who sold the most albums were considered the most prestigeous and powerful music acts in the industry. Similar to how today those who get the best streaming results are ruling.
          Correct. U.S. labels got greedy in the 90's and they paid for it in the 00's. Should have stayed the course like they did in the 70's-80's.

Comment

• Yikes I can't at Ga Ga & some other artists postponing their albums... I mean our lifes have already been reduced to being locked up at our own homes nowadays, the most humanitarian thing artists can do is release music to keep us occupied and to lighten our mood.

I am so glad my faves Dua and The Weeknd are releasing. Love them for that

Also it's blatant Gaga is only pushing back coz of commercial reasons since in the same breath she is still releasing some new Haus Lab make up Disgusting

Comment

• Well, tbf Weeknd and Dua have both been doing promo for their albums since late last year. Gaga's song has only been out three weeks.

I am disappointed tho. I needed something new for my Corona soundtrack.

Comment

• I hope you're not annoyed by me writing the same in multiple threads, but I'm a physical buyer, so while I'm cool with you guys streaming, I hope you understand that I like my old school CDs and hope that I can fully dedicate myself to them by the time the messy situation is over .
                ~ representing the LBC ~

Comment

• Sorry. I haven't been posting guys I've been talking to my future husband 24/7. Lol but I hope all your families and yourselves are safe

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post
                    Yikes I can't at Ga Ga & some other artists postponing their albums... I mean our lifes have already been reduced to being locked up at our own homes nowadays, the most humanitarian thing artists can do is release music to keep us occupied and to lighten our mood.

Also it's blatant Gaga is only pushing back coz of commercial reasons since in the same breath she is still releasing some new Haus Lab make up Disgusting
                    I mean, it's ridiculous. The era was launched, so might as well go for it.
                    The physical CDs could still be released at a later time.
                    It's not like she was going to sell 1M copies first week anyway.
                    I'm surprised she has not claimed being infected yet, cause you know the good sis always catch something for every album.
                    5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

Dua even pushed it forward to keep our minds occupied during these crazy times, a saint!1!
                      MY INSTAGRAM

Free Amazon Vouchers

Comment

• Originally posted by KEY9481 View Post

I mean, it's ridiculous. The era was launched, so might as well go for it.
                        The physical CDs could still be released at a later time.
                        It's not like she was going to sell 1M copies first week anyway.
                        I'm surprised she has not claimed being infected yet, cause you know the good sis always catch something for every album.
                        she‘s obviously scared of being overshadowed by Dua

she‘ll only flop harder if she waits tho

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                          I hope you're not annoyed by me writing the same in multiple threads, but I'm a physical buyer, so while I'm cool with you guys streaming, I hope you understand that I like my old school CDs and hope that I can fully dedicate myself to them by the time the messy situation is over .
                          RIP to the poor whales who'll have to eat them one day..

save the whales, save the climate, save the planet and stream!

Comment

• You might save the whales and oceans but you won't save the climate and planet. There are studies showing that you actually produce more CO2 via streaming because of the continuous consumption of electricity needed. We might change that in the foture if renewable energies take over completely but for now it's not helping
                            MY INSTAGRAM

Free Amazon Vouchers

Comment

• Originally posted by Rihab View Post

she‘s obviously scared of being overshadowed by Dua

she‘ll only flop harder if she waits tho
                              This is exactly my thoughts tbh. Dua is doing what Gaga does just much better & with way more success. There is no need for Gaga's dated & bad Born This Way & Artpop dance rejects when you have Dua releasing excellent and visionary dance music.

Gaga knows that her dance album will get compared to Dua's dance album in all aspects and it's just a losing battle for her.

I have said this many times but GaGa should have just waited for Bradley to summon her for another movie.
                              Last edited by aRat; Wed March 25th, 2020, 12:27.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post
                                You might save the whales and oceans but you won't save the climate and planet. There are studies showing that you actually produce more CO2 via streaming because of the continuous consumption of electricity needed. We might change that in the foture if renewable energies take over completely but for now it's not helping
                                IF you switch to streaming, you should choose a service that runs on 100% renewables of course (e.g. Apple Music), not some filthy business like Spotify.

Anyway, I really hope it's clear that I was NOT serious with that post. There's NO realistic scenario where Timmy's CDs end up being eaten by a whale.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rihab View Post
                                  There's NO realistic scenario where Timmy's CDs end up being eaten by a whale.
                                  Well, maybe ONE scenario.

Comment

• Well there is tons of evidence of fish, turtles, whales, dolphins, sea birds etc. with plastic in their stomachs, so it's not as absurd. Maybe not Timmy's CDs since he won't be putting them in the trash anytime soon but in general I wouldn't be surprised if some whale has eaten The Emancipation Of Mimi
                                    MY INSTAGRAM

Free Amazon Vouchers

Comment

Well there is tons of evidence of fish, turtles, whales, dolphins, sea birds etc. with plastic in their stomachs, so it's not as absurd. Maybe not Timmy's CDs since he won't be putting them in the trash anytime soon but in general I wouldn't be surprised if some whale has eaten The Emancipation Of Mimi
                                      Don't forget about yall hives who love to throw Beyonce CDs at people's heads. Those CDs then end up on the street → in the trash → in the oceans → in a whale's vocal cords.

Comment

• Ugh I just realized coming into this year, I was hoping Adele and Rihanna would finally release an album, and now those could get postponed too

Comment

Don't forget about yall hives who love to throw Beyonce CDs at people's heads. Those CDs then end up on the street → in the trash → in the oceans → in a whale's vocal cords.
                                          Ugh just imagine a humpback whale vocalizing to Bey's Partition, we love to see it

MY INSTAGRAM

Free Amazon Vouchers

Comment

You might save the whales and oceans but you won't save the climate and planet. There are studies showing that you actually produce more CO2 via streaming because of the continuous consumption of electricity needed. We might change that in the foture if renewable energies take over completely but for now it's not helping
                                            But playing a CD also needs electricity.
                                            My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• I guess every piece of entertainment needs electricity, apart from something like books.
                                              ~ representing the LBC ~

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post

But playing a CD also needs electricity.
                                                I know, studies included that of course, but to keep streaming platforms running huge capacities are needed. On top of that CDs can be played in cars e.g. where no electricity is needed or your average cd player needs less than recharging your phone every day or keeping your computer, Smart TV running to consume music etc.
                                                MY INSTAGRAM

Free Amazon Vouchers

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                                                  I guess every piece of entertainment needs electricity, apart from something like books.
                                                  Sweaty how do you print these books?Where does the paper come from?
                                                  MY INSTAGRAM

Free Amazon Vouchers

Comment

• You got me, electricity is needed everywhere . But good to know that there are worse ways to pollute the environment than playing CDs ;) .
                                                    ~ representing the LBC ~

Comment

Working...
                                                    X