Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, "Whitney" just had a major hit.
    5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• Why does the comparing still continue after endless pages of nothing? Stop trying to prove this lame agenda already. They all are impactful in different ways.

Anyway, I was reminded of this song and how fun and good it is, the video is eye candy. This is what Gaga should be doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by KEY9481 View Post
        Well, "Whitney" just had a major hit.
        And? The monthly listeners flucuate for many reasons.
        Also Higher Love was released almost one year ago, on June 28th 2019.

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
          Why are you all insisting in keeping this topic going round in circles? We get it - you do or don't think highly of Janet.

Move on.
          Just in case this post was missed from a day or two ago.

Comment

• Been enjoying me some Drake lately

Last edited by InFamous; Sat April 25th, 2020, 15:24.

Comment

• The Weeknd's album is FLAWLESS.
              Last edited by InFamous; Sat April 25th, 2020, 15:25.

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

So we are not allowed to post spotify statistics now either ? Is there anything we are allowed to do ?
                Five days on Janet is more than enough. We have several Janet-specific threads, including ones that discuss chart stats and sales if you prefer an extended discussion on this.

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post

Five days on Janet is more than enough. We have several Janet-specific threads, including ones that discuss chart stats and sales if you prefer an extended discussion on this.
                  stevyy Meet me in the Janet section my man, let's get our discussion on

Comment

• Originally posted by Hejira View Post
                    Why does the comparing still continue after endless pages of nothing? Stop trying to prove this lame agenda already. They all are impactful in different ways.

Anyway, I was reminded of this song and how fun and good it is, the video is eye candy. This is what Gaga should be doing.

I wanted a video continuation for years, but now I hope she never picks up and finishes the trilogy. Her output since ARTPOP hasn't been close to being worthy of something for a sequel to that. Don't want her to ruin what were great videos with something filmed with an iPhone now.
                    I have received many gifts from God,
                    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• That "Telephone" video is a cringe-fest. Most of Gaga's "over the top" stuff aged quite bad and look a bit ridiculous or parody-style today. IMO her only over the top music video that aged good was "Bad Romance" but the rest is just messy now.

I think more rough and simple music videos like "Poker Face" look better to me these days in 2020 than the likes of "Telephone", "Alejandro", "You & I", "Born This Way", etc.
                      Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
                        That "Telephone" video is a cringe-fest. Most of Gaga's "over the top" stuff aged quite bad and look a bit ridiculous or parody-style today. IMO her only over the top music video that aged good was "Bad Romance" but the rest is just messy now.

I think more rough and simple music videos like "Poker Face" look better to me these days in 2020 than the likes of "Telephone", "Alejandro", "You & I", "Born This Way", etc.
                        Literally no one is here for Gaga doing that over the top stuff in 2020, what she should do is explore that grown up sound she did on the ASIB soundtrack.

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

Literally no one is here for Gaga doing that over the top stuff in 2020, what she should do is explore that grown up sound she did on the ASIB soundtrack.
                          More like another "Joanne" but with better music videos, presentation, marketing and production.

This is highly unpopular because the "Joanne" era is literally loathed outside of her fanbase but I think that was a nice fresh break from her over the top previous stuff, it was more simple and looking back at it retrospectively "Perfect Illusion" was a nice interesting single.

But she doesn't get it. That new "Stupid Love" song with that cheap alien joke music video is just another mess. She over does everything.
                          Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

More like another "Joanne" but with better music videos, presentation, marketing and production.

This is highly unpopular because the "Joanne" era is literally loathed outside of her fanbase but I think that was a nice fresh break from her over the top previous stuff, it was more simple and looking back at it retrospectively "Perfect Illusion" was a nice interesting single.

But she doesn't get it. That new "Stupid Love" song with that cheap alien joke music video is just another mess. She over does everything.
                            Joanne album was crap, it had one semi decent song. Million Reasons.
                            And yeah I agree on Stupid Love, the whole thing was cringe.

Comment

• Gaga simply tries too hard these days and in doing so, she is repeating herself. That is why her music isn't doing good anymore.
                              My Chart

Comment

• You can tell she's getting desperate because nothing seems to work for her. People got tired of 'basic dance pop, crazy visuals' Gaga (The Fame - Artpop). They weren't here for a slightly younger, lamer version of Pink either (Joanne). Only the Pink sound + Bradley (ASIB) produced a hit for her. Now she's trying it with Artpop again and it's a disaster.

I'd love another jazz record from her, but no idea what she can do to win the gp back.

Comment

• Poor Gaga can’t win - either over the top and trying too hard, or boring and lame.

I LOVE Stupid Love. She’s at her best when doing big pop tracks.
                                  THRILLER’S SOUNDS OF THE 90s

Comment

• Wait until Nympho shows up.
                                    You’re banned! You’re banned! You’re banned! Everybody gets a ban!

5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• She was in her bag with Asib.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hejira View Post
                                        Why does the comparing still continue after endless pages of nothing? Stop trying to prove this lame agenda already. They all are impactful in different ways.

The way bey rides a beat . Yup Yup

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                                          Poor Gaga can’t win - either over the top and trying too hard, or boring and lame.
                                          Yep. The "Born This Way" era turned off a lot of people, the "Artpop" era was a legit mess, the "Joanne" era is loathed outside of her fanbase, the ASIB era is attributed to Bradley Cooper and her new song / era just didn't cut it.

Seems like indeed she can't win.

In the meantime Rihanna was the opposite (she was a grower), she started with some hit songs with her first two albums but back in those days people looked her as a cheap tacky low budget obscure star (or another Christina Millian or Kat De Luna) who would probably quickly fade but instead she became more and more appreciated and loved with each album she did and ended up as a cherished superstar in the music business and one of the biggest hitmakers of all time.

Comment

• Originally posted by KEY9481 View Post
                                            Wait until Nympho shows up.
                                            You’re banned! You’re banned! You’re banned! Everybody gets a ban!
                                            little monster indeed

Comment

• This album and era ...

This was one of the very few truly global massive eras in the pop industry.

A 2002 album with nearly 800M streams on Spotify, over 17 million copies (pure sales) sold, 8 Grammy nominations (including two nods for “Song Of The Year”) and an album / era that achieved equally massive success in every corner of the world (North America, Latin America, Europe, Asia and Oceania).

A truly global (emphasis on global) and amazing album. This was perhaps the last “super global era” the world had seen before Gaga’s arrival in 2008/2009. But y’all not ready to have that conversation.

Comment

This album and era ...

This was one of the very few truly global massive eras in the pop industry.

A 2002 album with nearly 800M streams on Spotify, over 17 million copies (pure sales) sold, 8 Grammy nominations (including two nods for “Song Of The Year”) and an album / era that achieved equally massive success in every corner of the world (North America, Latin America, Europe, Asia and Oceania).

A truly global (emphasis on global) and amazing album. This was perhaps the last “super global era” the world had seen before Gaga’s arrival in 2008/2009. But y’all not ready to have that conversation.
                                                They just don't make pop stars like they did between 80s-2000s
                                                Last edited by Aaronsmithjune1; Sat April 25th, 2020, 21:27.

Comment

• LEGEND

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaronsmithjune1 View Post
                                                    They just don't make pop stars like they did between 80s-2000s
                                                    Yep and you definitely don't see those really global (smashing equally hard in every continent) type of eras that often.

Comment

• 2002 has some other heavy hitters though - The Eminem Show and Come Away With Me. Not only did those two sold significantly more and actually won Grammies, but TES triples Let Go's Spotify streams and CAWM is not far behind with 760m - much more impressive considering it isn't really a pure pop/rock album with easy singalongs like the other two.
                                                      I have received many gifts from God,
                                                      but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• "The Eminem Show" was not that big in Asia unfortunately. My post was not about total sales but those global slaying every continent type of eras instead which are very rare to see.
                                                        Last edited by MrLeonix; Sat April 25th, 2020, 21:52.

Comment

• Whitney casually showing up to the studio and schooling the R&B girls on how to do R&B was a moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post

She’s great isn’t she! I love this performance.

Glennis is the only one who can truely sing like Whitney Houston.
                                                            My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• That girl does not compare to Whitney, she doesn't have the tone or the presence.
                                                              She is more comparable to Leona Lewis.

Comment

Working...
                                                              X