Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by aRat View Post
    Omg is anyone reading thise long ass walls of text? Stevvy lost it again.
    We gotta support a stan during these trying times though. I mean I'm still drunk 3 months later anyway who knows all the nonsense I've spouted on this board lately.

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

exactly... you just explained the benefit of having a single in the first place... to promote an album.

The next part is not verifyable. It also doesn't really explain why cassettes and vinyl at one point were popular. It's rather annoying (and difficult) to skip tracks on vinyl and cassette. The CD made it easier which is true.

However, in a sale of an album the crappiest song which nobody listens to... was still paid for... and therefore relevant for the album's placing...whereas today... 1 or 2 songs decide of how popular a set of 20 songs is or could be. That's messed up.

What we are seeing today is that a few acts put their biggest hit (mainly one-hit-wonders) on their next album in order to cash in on some streaming equivalents... That's even messier.
      It’s just that you’re assuming that someone who bought a physical album automatically means that person would be playing all tracks equally (and that’s not the case) even if the person loved the entire album there would still be some tracks that would be replayed more times than other tracks. When you see it that way it’s the same thing that happens with streaming.

As for people paying for every track, yes! That’s truth when you bought an album you were paying for every track even if you wouldn’t listen to a couple songs at all .... however artists also earn money and receive royalties through streaming, it’s not like they are not earning anything they are still getting paid. Things just evolved, that’s all
      Last edited by MrLeonix; Wed May 27th, 2020, 19:01.
      Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

• Originally posted by Hejira View Post

We gotta support a stan during these trying times though. I mean I'm still drunk 3 months later anyway who knows all the nonsense I've spouted on this board lately.
        Stevvy knows that I luvs him despite me dragging his scalp all the time
        COMMON LOVE ISN'T FOR US...

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

Oh I remember I used to love “Radar” on “Blackout” like it’s such a stunning gem on that album. But then I hated what she did with the song on “Circus”, it changed my perception of it (for worse) and ended up liking the song less because of it.

Britney’s music did pretty much stall after “Circus”, that’s truth, but honestly I think “Hold It Against Me” was a brilliant release. I think that was her last “great pop moment”.
          Hold It Against is disgusting. Till The World Ends is semi cute but it aged terribly.
          COMMON LOVE ISN'T FOR US...

Comment

Stevvy knows that I luvs him despite me dragging his scalp all the time
            I'm sure we all secretly love each other which is why we keep coming back to this place.
            With a few exceptions of course.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hejira View Post

I'm sure we all secretly love each other which is why we keep coming back to this place.
              With a few exceptions of course.

Emphasis on “with a few exceptions of course” ...
              Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

Emphasis on “with a few exceptions of course” ...

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

It's actually annoying when you twist everything like that. You are like a Republican waiting for their GOTCHA moment... like as if posting streaming lists of songs would disprove my opinion on how the charts are made. You seem unable to differentiate.

I collect charting data which is true. Every Xmas I post the charts table of what Mariah Carey's Christmas music is doing on the charts. BUT even then I can have an opinion on how that chart is compiled. IF the charts would become more logic and fairer, it would be harder for Mariah to achieve her Xmas statistics... however, the charts would be more comparable to the old times. What we are seeing now is artificially inflated statistics which make it impossible to compare charts from different eras.

I think Germany has the best system of how charts should be compiled in this day and age. a revenue chart is the only chart which makes sense if you want to avoid double counting and if you want to diminish the influence of gimmicks like price tampering and merchandise bundling.
                  How dare you.

Comment

Madonna was 30 years into her career and nearly 60 years old when she released “Ghosttown” though (which wasn’t even the lead single of her album anyway) but prior to that “4 Minutes” went #3 on the Hot 100 as the lead single from her 11th studio album and 26 years into her career. So she had plenty of longevity with so many albums and eras.

About life not being fair, I agree. My recommendation for you would be to deal with it :noidea:
                    What exactly is that supposed to mean ? Do you think I ACTUALLY care is someone single flops or hits the top 10. Chile please.

I enjoy the music I like and I don't care that much about charts and certainly not ramdom spotify streams.
                    I may be a lot of things but an obsessed stan who finds happiness through the one week chart placement of a song or how many streams it has on Pandora is certainly not one of them.

Comment

• Hejira must be lovin this.
                      Originally posted by beredy
                      When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                        Hejira must be lovin this.
                        It's like...

I live

Comment

Oh I remember I used to love “Radar” on “Blackout” like it’s such a stunning gem on that album. But then I hated what she did with the song on “Circus”, it changed my perception of it (for worse) and ended up liking the song less because of it.

Britney’s music did pretty much stall after “Circus”, that’s truth, but honestly I think “Hold It Against Me” was a brilliant release. I think that was her last “great pop moment”.
                          I never realized they were different on one album to the other.

Comment

• I found MrLeonix’s Superbowl watch party.
                            Originally posted by beredy
                            When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• US-Americans be like:
                              'Oh, have you heard that new song by Post Malone? It's called 'Circles'.'
                              'He's already released another single? He's so quick at it. Let's check it out!'

-------------

Hypothetical question: You've dreamed of becoming a pop star for years. You find a way into the business and experience success for a short term before your success fizzles again. Some casting show acts give up by the time they no longer reach the top 10. Some keep on releasing albums as part of an indie label with limited costs but limited income (think of e.g. Ashanti). Maybe there's a point when your income hardly covers your costs and you gotta live from something. There was a time Cher's albums didn't even reach the charts, yet she remained loyal to the music business instead of moving on to retail. How long would you be willing to keep doing shows and recording albums?
                              Last edited by theMathematician; Thu May 28th, 2020, 10:09.
                              When the bones are good, the rest don't matter
                              Yeah, the paint could peel, the glass could shatter
                              (Maren Morris)

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                                US-Americans be like:
                                'Oh, have you heard that new song by Post Malone? It's called 'Circles'.'
                                'He's already released another single? He's so quick at it. Let's check it out!'

-------------

Hypothetical question: You've dreamed of becoming a pop star for years. You find a way into the business and experience success for a short term before your success fizzles again. Some casting show acts give up by the time they no longer reach the top 10. Some keep on releasing albums as part of an indie label with limited costs but limited income (think of e.g. Ashanti). Maybe there's a point when your income hardly covers your costs and you gotta live from something. There was a time Cher's albums didn't even reach the charts, yet she remained loyal to the music business instead of moving on to retail. How long would you be willing to keep doing shows and recording albums?
                                Does chart success really matter? And can't you tour and earn a lot of money in case your albums don't chart too well?
                                The record labels earn from album sales not artists or at least not much.

Also,think of metal and rock bands that don' chart well,how do they earn? Obviously from touring.

Comment

• All Of these acts that have at least experienced success once can cover their costs easily more than any average job ever could. They'll get more money from royalties of one successful song than others do in a lifetime of 9-5 jobs. You should not buy a car every other week but still... After all you record music because you love it and want to. I would just keep doing it. You can always play in bars etc. especially if you have at least one hit that people know.
                                  aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

• BeeBoy y: I think if you're really passionate about something, you keep on pushing, and as you said it, you still get the revenues from your old songs. Maybe it's indeed the inner tensions within a group than missing success that lead to its breakup in some cases. Gives me the hope that my favorite artists keep on releasing music even if they are no longer 'hot stuff'!
                                    Being someone who dreamt of becoming a professional musician all his life and would already be happy to have an album reach the charts at all, it would take lots for me to bury that dream even with decreasing success.
                                    (Maren Morris)

Comment

• Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post
                                      All Of these acts that have at least experienced success once can cover their costs easily more than any average job ever could. They'll get more money from royalties of one successful song than others do in a lifetime of 9-5 jobs. You should not buy a car every other week but still... After all you record music because you love it and want to. I would just keep doing it. You can always play in bars etc. especially if you have at least one hit that people know.
                                      It depends on how big that song was... for example... Carly Rae would never need to work again (or release another song) because her hit from years ago would still give her a healthy 4-5 digit monthly income. And that's just ONE song. She probably earns even more because artists can still tour... even a tour to 500 people per venue would give acts a healthy income because many acts who tour those small venues (bars etc) get a percentage of what people consume there as well.

The music industry is fickle and many artists do not get a long-lasting career out of it... but in that brief moment in time in which they are relevant, they can become millionaires as quickly as possible. Someone like Ashanti - as was mentioned - has at the very least made a good $20-40 million... and that should be enough to live a comfortable life until the end of times.

Someone like Leona Lewis did certainly not make less than $10 million during her prime.

theMathematician all those German Schlager-Stars... still get something in between 10,000 - 20,000 Euros per performance... That is why how someone like Michael Wendler or Micky Krause can still own property in multiple countries and act as if they were multi-millionaires... which they certainly are... even without any hit music on the charts.

You really just need 1 really successful year in the music business and don't have to work ever again.
                                      My Chart

Comment

Hold It Against is disgusting. Till The World Ends is semi cute but it aged terribly.
                                        That entire album is unlistenable now apart from maybe one song.

I give this a spin every 2 years or so.

Comment

• What is this ? Gaga these spoken bridges are not it.

Comment

• This is the best song of 3 she has released. Stupid Love is so basic that I turned it off after 1 minute, collab with Ariana is a mistake (in artistic terms). I'm curious about critics' ratings.

Xtina/Snoh ​​Aalegra/Rihanna/Ari Lennox

Comment

• Her album to get the best critics' reception thus far is, who would've expected that, her EP 'The Fame Monster' (released as deluxe edition of the debut album in some countries) with a 78/100 on Metacritic. It will be interesting whether she'll be able to score a 80+/100 with the new one,
                                              (Maren Morris)

Comment

• When I listened to that the first time I genuinely thought it may have been fan made. It sounds like Swish Swish by Katy.
                                                Terrible lyrics. Fingers crossed she has some better tracks on the album.

Comment

Her album to get the best critics' reception thus far is, who would've expected that, her EP 'The Fame Monster' (released as deluxe edition of the debut album in some countries) with a 78/100 on Metacritic. It will be interesting whether she'll be able to score a 80+/100 with the new one,
                                                  What is so surprising about it?

”The Fame Monster” was basically Gaga at her peak and the best version of Lady Gaga’s career so far. No wonder critics loved it (and if I’m not wrong this was her most awarded album too).

”The Fame” has nice singles but too many fillers, “Born This Way” is strong but it’s excessively overproduced, “Artpop” is a mess and “Joanne” was not everybody’s cup of tea.

This only leaves “The Fame Monster” as the epitome / magnum opus of her career.
                                                  Last edited by MrLeonix; Thu May 28th, 2020, 15:25.

Comment

• In my country, 'The Fame Monster' was released as the debut album's deluxe edition, and I have liked all of the new songs a lot. Not too forget that it came out at the peak of Gaga's popularity. So yeah, from that point of view, it kind of makes sense.
                                                    Most of the times, EPs are not really taken seriously and mostly have the purpose to test waters or fill the gap between two eras. So an EP not only being considered good but even the best in an artist's discography is very rare.
                                                    (Maren Morris)

Comment

In my country, 'The Fame Monster' was released as the debut album's deluxe edition, and I have liked all of the new songs a lot. Not too forget that it came out at the peak of Gaga's popularity. So yeah, from that point of view, it kind of makes sense.
                                                      Most of the times, EPs are not really taken seriously and mostly have the purpose to test waters or fill the gap between two eras. So an EP not only being considered good but even the best in an artist's discography is very rare.
                                                      It all started as a deluxe / expansion thing but The EP ended up being considered Gaga’s second album and getting it’s own individuality.

Gaga insisted that this was her second album. It was treated separately by critics, the EP received Grammy nominations as an independent album (it was even nominated for Album Of The Year) , it has a separate release on Spotify, Gaga and everyone called “Chromatica” #LG6 because TFM ended up considered #LG2. And this year the RIAA (mostly because of her label and Gaga’s request) gave separate certifications to TF and TFM.

Whether is an EP or not it is Gaga’s second studio work. And happens to be her finest one.
                                                      Last edited by MrLeonix; Thu May 28th, 2020, 16:24.

Comment

Such a chilled fresh pop song.

But for real, this was the lead single from her 9th studio album (18 years into her career at that time) and I'm just glad it wasn't struggling to make the Top 40
                                                        I really dont know why it didn't take off. It's a GEM

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                                                          What is this ? Gaga these spoken bridges are not it.

This Album will flop after first week Thanks to bundles. At least rain on me will be number one. I got a feeling she will release another album by year end in the style of asib.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaronsmithjune1 View Post

This Album will flop after first week Thanks to bundles. At least rain on me will be number one. I got a feeling she will release another album by year end in the style of asib.
                                                            The album won’t be a big success like ASIB of course, but it won’t really flop either. Mark my words.

Comment

The album won’t be a big success like ASIB of course, but it won’t really flop either. Mark my words.
                                                              Rain on me is down to 1.3M already on spotify USA. With to huge stars in less than a week. Stupid love flopped, sour candy will do nothing here. It's not looking good in America

Comment

Working...
                                                              X