No announcement yet.

Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honestly I don't think Lana Del Rey had bad intentions with that letter. She just needs a publicist and a good PR team that tells her that writing stuff like that is never a good idea.

But yeah, I don't think she was trying to be mean or anything, she just had a point she struggled to make.
    Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
    Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• InFamous : The re-release charted seperately in only a few countries, including France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Sweden, Finland and Australia.
      Pro: freedom of speech
      Contra: cancel culture

Comment

• Twitter gets upset about everything & likes to misread stuff. Nothing new here
        last.fm

Comment

• What did Lana del Rey say in that letter which can be deemed racist?
          This hysterical twitter culture is pure vileness. As far as I know, Ariana is white and is in the bunch. As far as I know, she named some of the most popular singers at the moment, two of which are quite self-degrading and happen to be black/latina (Cardi B and Nicki Minaj). And if you read carefully, she doesn't say anything against these women. She just questions why it's ok for them to be like that, but not for Lana to be like herself.

Of course, you can disagree with everything she says. But saying she is racist, saying she votes for Trump and "cancelling" her is just fcking idiotic.
          I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
          I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

• I’ve always hated Del Snore’s music (one of the most overrated discographies ever!) so I’m glad to know that her morale matches that of her repertoire.
          Greatest Of All Time

Comment

• People just love looking for a "This is offensive" situation in everything now, anything to latch on to. They forget about it and move on to the next thing so quickly that the whole value of the upset is lost in most cases so whatever.

Comment

• Originally posted by DnBLover View Post
              What did Lana del Rey say in that letter which can be deemed racist?
              Nothing, really.

.. Anyways, Lana Del Rey is my favorite female artist out of the new generation of girls in the music industry. I think she is brilliant.
              Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
              Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                As was GOAT. Do you know the song that blocked it so I can add it to my blacklist?
                Greatest Of All Time

Comment

• Originally posted by Hejira View Post
                  People just love looking for a "This is offensive" situation in everything now, anything to latch on to. They forget about it and move on to the next thing so quickly that the whole value of the upset is lost in most cases so whatever.
                  That is also true though.
                  I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
                  I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

• Lana could made all those points without singling anyone out - I see no reason she needed to bring any of them into it.

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                      Lana could made all those points without singling anyone out - I see no reason she needed to bring any of them into it.
                      She mentioned them as exemples of women who are now singing about topics like sex etc. and are successful and recognized, which she points out is a good thing and not some sort of criticism or shaming.

And it is a fact that her first albums got negative criticism for more or less the same topics, and it took releasing NFR for her to be taken seriously and not dismissed by the industry.

None of this has to do with race, and she even clarified that she is a fan of the mentioned women.

She should have probably reworded some parts purely because of the outrage culture and people misinterpreting stuff for the sake of drama, sadly this is the society we live in.
                      last.fm

Comment

• Originally posted by Carbon View Post

She mentioned them as exemples of women who are now singing about topics like sex etc. and are successful and recognized, which she points out is a good thing and not some sort of criticism or shaming.

And it is a fact that her first albums got negative criticism for more or less the same topics, and it took releasing NFR for her to be taken seriously and not dismissed by the industry.

None of this has to do with race, and she even clarified that she is a fan of the mentioned women.

She should have probably reworded some parts purely because of the outrage culture and people misinterpreting stuff for the sake of drama, sadly this is the society we live in.
                        Obviously it had nothing to do with race, people are twisting everything and making her seem racist. And it's bad.

But she is a white woman and it does happen that most of the names she mentioned were black women, and a white woman talking about black women (no matter the context) is always at risk of being missunderstood. She should have known that better before posting and providing specific names.

But like I said, she obviously didn't have bad intentions.

Comment

• I'm not saying she doesn't have valid points, but it's bad optics - and less sympathetic. It obfuscated her message.

Comment

• Anyways ... NEVER in a million years I imagined I could like Ariana Grande, for various reasons, normally I don't tend to like the big vocalists type of divas and I never really liked her early stuff (I even used to think she was annoying) but d*mn her recent stuff has been SO good that I ended up sold

I think Lana and Ariana are the coolest out of the new girls. Billie Eilish is cool too.

Comment

• I have yet to buy an Ariana Grande album. 'thank u, next! got good critics and I see her potential in a few songs. I just feel like she's trying to be cool a bit too much (thinking of songs like '7 Rings') and if she towned that down a bit, she could release an album I personally would enjoy listening to.
                              Pro: freedom of speech
                              Contra: cancel culture

Comment

• I loved Ariana before her debut album was even out. "Victorious" was my childhood and Cat was my favorite character. In 2011 or 2012 I had her cover of Bruno Mars' "Grenade" and "Give It Up" from Victorious on repeat and I was obsessed with "The Way" when it came out. I had a huge obsession with "Problem" and "My Everything" was the first album of hers that I bought in 2015. "Dangerous Woman" was the first Ariana album that I bought on the day it came out. It’s still my favorite album of hers and was one of my favorite albums of 2016. I had huge expectations for its follow up but then "Sweetener" came and that one album turned me off (a lot tbh I think it’s terrible) and I haven’t liked her as much as I used to since even though I think "thank u, next" was an amazing album. Last year I had a ticket for one of her concerts but I got sick and couldn’t go lol.
                                Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• When are celebrities going to learn that taking these incoherent rants to twitter is NEVER a good idea?
                                  Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                  Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

3 in RayRay
                                    4 in DOSSOME
                                    5 in Michiel

6 Austria, 5 Swizerland, 1 Sweden, 2 Norway and 1 Finland.
                                    Don't know if we have any holes here from those territories ?
                                    You forgot about moi.

That peak is disgusting tho so maybe that oversight is for the best.
                                    Greatest Of All Time

Comment

• Britney Spears truly delivered probably the best pop song of all time with Toxic. Argue with your mother about it

If we don't get Beyoncé × Rihanna on B7 or R9 I don't think it'll ever happen tbh. Ion want no song when they both in their 50s either
                                      Last edited by Aaronsmithjune1; Fri May 22, 2020, 03:28.

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                                        Stevyy posted a clip of Vision of Love. No one reacted, but then you came online and started a discussion. Yet, you don't want to hear her name.
                                        Uhm no, my original post was literally just 4 random opinions in bullet points. One about Alicia, one about Lana and Lorde, one about Katy and one about Mariah (in response to stevyy). How that's asking for a page-long Mariah discussion including personal attacks is beyond me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                                          I’ve always hated Del Snore’s music (one of the most overrated discographies ever!) so I’m glad to know that her morale matches that of her repertoire.
                                          Repeatedly subjecting yourself to Lana Del Rey's music can not be good for your health, and I will not be told otherwize.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaronsmithjune1 View Post
                                            Britney Spears truly delivered probably the best pop song of all time with Toxic. Argue with your mother about it

If we don't get Beyoncé × Rihanna on B7 or R9 I don't think it'll ever happen tbh. Ion want no song when they both in their 50s either
                                            Britney is fabulous for a throwback.

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

Britney is fabulous for a throwback.
                                              I need sus to drop a new Album asap

Comment

• Katy's Daisies has hit No 1 in Argentina* ! Queen of South America.

*On itunes

Comment

• When it comes to the Big 3 Vocalists (Whitney/Mariah/Celine)

- Mariah - Tone & Range
                                                  -Whitney - Power & Emotion
                                                  -Celine - Control & High Belts

-Mariah's Best Song - Breakdown
                                                  -Whitney's Best Song - I Have Nothing
                                                  -Celine's Best Song - I Love You

-Mariah's Best Performance - If It's Over (Grammy's)
                                                  -Whitney's Best Performance - A Song For You (Welcome Home Heroes)
                                                  -Celine's Best Performance - Calling You (Paris 1995)
                                                  Last edited by TIfan; Fri May 22, 2020, 07:46.
                                                  Diva!!!

Comment

Working...
                                                  X