No announcement yet.

Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is the best song of 3 she has released. Stupid Love is so basic that I turned it off after 1 minute, collab with Ariana is a mistake (in artistic terms). I'm curious about critics' ratings.

Xtina / Nathy Peluso / Rosalía / Nina Simone / Lauren Hill

Comment

• Her album to get the best critics' reception thus far is, who would've expected that, her EP 'The Fame Monster' (released as deluxe edition of the debut album in some countries) with a 78/100 on Metacritic. It will be interesting whether she'll be able to score a 80+/100 with the new one,
      Pro: freedom of speech
      Contra: cancel culture

Comment

• When I listened to that the first time I genuinely thought it may have been fan made. It sounds like Swish Swish by Katy.
        Terrible lyrics. Fingers crossed she has some better tracks on the album.
        Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
        Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
          Her album to get the best critics' reception thus far is, who would've expected that, her EP 'The Fame Monster' (released as deluxe edition of the debut album in some countries) with a 78/100 on Metacritic. It will be interesting whether she'll be able to score a 80+/100 with the new one,
          What is so surprising about it?

”The Fame Monster” was basically Gaga at her peak and the best version of Lady Gaga’s career so far. No wonder critics loved it (and if I’m not wrong this was her most awarded album too).

”The Fame” has nice singles but too many fillers, “Born This Way” is strong but it’s excessively overproduced, “Artpop” is a mess and “Joanne” was not everybody’s cup of tea.

This only leaves “The Fame Monster” as the epitome / magnum opus of her career.
          Last edited by MrLeonix; Thu May 28, 2020, 16:25.
          Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
          Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• In my country, 'The Fame Monster' was released as the debut album's deluxe edition, and I have liked all of the new songs a lot. Not too forget that it came out at the peak of Gaga's popularity. So yeah, from that point of view, it kind of makes sense.
            Most of the times, EPs are not really taken seriously and mostly have the purpose to test waters or fill the gap between two eras. So an EP not only being considered good but even the best in an artist's discography is very rare.
            Pro: freedom of speech
            Contra: cancel culture

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
              In my country, 'The Fame Monster' was released as the debut album's deluxe edition, and I have liked all of the new songs a lot. Not too forget that it came out at the peak of Gaga's popularity. So yeah, from that point of view, it kind of makes sense.
              Most of the times, EPs are not really taken seriously and mostly have the purpose to test waters or fill the gap between two eras. So an EP not only being considered good but even the best in an artist's discography is very rare.
              It all started as a deluxe / expansion thing but The EP ended up being considered Gaga’s second album and getting it’s own individuality.

Gaga insisted that this was her second album. It was treated separately by critics, the EP received Grammy nominations as an independent album (it was even nominated for Album Of The Year) , it has a separate release on Spotify, Gaga and everyone called “Chromatica” #LG6 because TFM ended up considered #LG2. And this year the RIAA (mostly because of her label and Gaga’s request) gave separate certifications to TF and TFM.

Whether is an EP or not it is Gaga’s second studio work. And happens to be her finest one.
              Last edited by MrLeonix; Thu May 28, 2020, 17:24.
              Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
              Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

Such a chilled fresh pop song.

But for real, this was the lead single from her 9th studio album (18 years into her career at that time) and I'm just glad it wasn't struggling to make the Top 40
                I really dont know why it didn't take off. It's a GEM

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                  What is this ? Gaga these spoken bridges are not it.

This Album will flop after first week Thanks to bundles. At least rain on me will be number one. I got a feeling she will release another album by year end in the style of asib.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaronsmithjune1 View Post

This Album will flop after first week Thanks to bundles. At least rain on me will be number one. I got a feeling she will release another album by year end in the style of asib.
                    The album won’t be a big success like ASIB of course, but it won’t really flop either. Mark my words.

Comment

The album won’t be a big success like ASIB of course, but it won’t really flop either. Mark my words.
                      Rain on me is down to 1.3M already on spotify USA. With to huge stars in less than a week. Stupid love flopped, sour candy will do nothing here. It's not looking good in America

Comment

Rain on me is down to 1.3M already on spotify USA. With to huge stars in less than a week. Stupid love flopped, sour candy will do nothing here. It's not looking good in America
                        The album will be #1 with over 200K units in US (yes thanks to bundles BUT most artists do bundles so it’s not like we can call Lady Gaga out for that), that 200K debut doesn’t even include all the Pre-release streams and SPS units that were generated before the album’s release which DO count towards the soundscan total and the RIAA which is adding like 150K extra units.

In other words, the album will basically have (nearly) a 400K units total in USA alone upon release and will likely go Platinum in the long run. In addition to that, the album already has TWO top 10 singles on the Billboard Hot 100 (including a #1).

So a #1 album (with high chances of going Platinum) a #1 single and two Top 10 singles is not a real “flop”. It’s just an album not doing better than ASIB .. but that = / = flop.

Comment

I know you have a really long tracjectory of being a huge hater... But even for you, posting this specially this week when she's SLAYING left and right, is reaching.

Comment

• I'm just happy whenever a woman is killing it on Spotify - at least in the US, the bias against women on streaming is real.

I mean, look at this ridiculousness from last week. - like 80% of those songs in the top 40 are men.

Comment

• so, Gaga covered Madonna's Vogue and re-named it Babylon. She is so original.
                              My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                I'm just happy whenever a woman is killing it on Spotify - at least in the US, the bias against women on streaming is real.

I mean, look at this ridiculousness from last week. - like 80% of those songs in the top 40 are men.
                                women deserve it... i mean ... the fans do for supporting the most unoriginal bubblegum shite. Great music by females is not "in" at the moment. So that's that on that.

#VanessaCarlton'sNewAlbumSlays
                                My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

women deserve it... i mean ... the fans do for supporting the most unoriginal bubblegum shite. Great music by females is not "in" at the moment. So that's that on that.

#VanessaCarlton'sNewAlbumSlays
                                  And the songs by males there are completely novel and interesting? Please listen to the songs that are in that top 40 by men and come back to me.

May I suggest Gooba, What's Poppin, and Blueberry Faygo

Comment

• Great music isn't 'in' period.

I had to look up that Gooba mess...it sounded like an artist who'd be the next Christine but it's a song by that raping idiot. Terrible.

Comment

• The greatest ballad of the 90's has passed 400 million views on YouTube.
                                      Diva!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by nympho View Post

I know you have a really long tracjectory of being a huge hater... But even for you, posting this specially this week when she's SLAYING left and right, is reaching.
                                        Never been a Gaga hater. Just pointing out the obvious. I've even been wanting ROM to go number from day 1

Comment

• Originally posted by TIfan View Post
                                          The greatest ballad of the 90's has passed 400 million views on YouTube.
                                          I don’t like this type of music and even I find myself admitting THIS was a stunning song. Easily one of Whitney’s greatest (I personally like it more than “I Will Always Love You”). It’s also a staple and timeless song in the music industry.

Whitney was such a legendary singer. I’m glad she was inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame because she f*cking deserved it.

Comment

Never been a Gaga hater. Just pointing out the obvious. I've even been wanting ROM to go number from day 1
                                            Saying that it's "already down to 1.3 million" as it if meant it was free-falling or something... when it's 1-2-2-2-2-2 on Spotify US all week...
                                            Making it look like it's the most common thing for new releases to be at the top for a week instead of songs that are huge hits.
                                            Still at #2 despite being moved down to #3 on Today's Top Hits... and despite only having 12 million airplay.
                                            #1 on iTunes with a HUGE lead all week, selling more than the Top 5 combined.
                                            It's smashing on Youtube.
                                            It's going to be #1 with a big margin...
                                            Seriously, what is "the obvious"?

And regarding SL... it was Top 5 SOLO hit in Hot 100, in UK and Top 10 in many other countries. It's on its way to Platinum in US. Obviously not a single performance or interview and Gaga not ever mentioning the song again after the 1st week.
                                            It'll probably re-enter Hot 100 this or next week.
                                            No, I'm not going to mention other artists' chart runs that really were flops as other people usually do here to make you see the difference between a medium size hit and a flop...

Your shade with the bundles... is pure trolling. Pretending she'll be #1 just because of merch or ticket bundles when her previous albums were #1 with big figures (even with a flop lead single like PI) without them and when EVERYBODY is having those bundles today...

It's way tooooo early to tell if the album will have longevity or not. We'll see! I'll depend on ROM longevity, next singles, if she's able to promote, when will the tour take place...

But your previous post sounded almost as if she was going to have one of those fan only releases of old divas with 3 weeks on chart or something and ROM was already freefalling.

You want ROM to be #1? Great. That makes lot os us. But that doesn't change the fact that there are DOZENS of posts where you shade her and call her a flop. So exuse me if I don't believe the "I'm no hater" narrative.

Comment

• Whitney fk legend Houston is the best singer ever. She was phenomenal.

Xtina / Nathy Peluso / Rosalía / Nina Simone / Lauren Hill

Comment

You keep making these obvious predictions lol. Rain on me being number one and the album not really flopping. Of course it;s not going to Flop a la someone like i dunno Mariah or Toni? It will go gold and maybe platinum eventually with streaming.

Comment

It all started as a deluxe / expansion thing but The EP ended up being considered Gaga’s second album and getting it’s own individuality.

Gaga insisted that this was her second album. It was treated separately by critics, the EP received Grammy nominations as an independent album (it was even nominated for Album Of The Year) , it has a separate release on Spotify, Gaga and everyone called “Chromatica” #LG6 because TFM ended up considered #LG2. And this year the RIAA (mostly because of her label and Gaga’s request) gave separate certifications to TF and TFM.

Whether is an EP or not it is Gaga’s second studio work. And happens to be her finest one.
                                                  Actually her fans talk about it all the time as it being the same, and the sales are generally combined.
                                                  Addittionally in most countries it was sold packaged along with the original album and its chart positions counted towards the original album when it was sold like that. It was available as a standalone in some countries but it was also packaged as a deluxe. Gaga seems to be confused about it. Also the reason this release is called LG6 is because The fame monster is an EP, not a full length album, so that actually is irrelevant. Cheek to Cheek is considered a studio album by Lady Gaga.
                                                  So its, The Fame, Born this way, Artpop, Cheek to Cheek, Joanne and Chromatica being six.
                                                  EP - The Fame Monster/

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

You keep making these obvious predictions lol. Rain on me being number one and the album not really flopping. Of course it;s not going to Flop a la someone like i dunno Mariah or Toni? It will go gold and maybe platinum eventually with streaming.
                                                    Exactly. Which isn’t a real flop by any means.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X