Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by beredy View Post

    Destiny's Child/Beyonce, Britney, Xtina, Justin were on Star Search back in the early 90's.
    Thank you for that correction.
    Britney, Xtina & Justin have all been familiar since Mickey Moue Club days
    Waffles are checked cookies

    Comment


    • Originally posted by heppolo View Post

      Thank you for that correction.
      Britney, Xtina & Justin have all been familiar since Mickey Moue Club days
      Yes, but I actually think they all first appeared on Star Search.
      I have received many gifts from God,
      but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess
      .

      Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

      Comment


      • Considering that many associates of the Mickey Mouse Club ended up having successful careers in the entertainment industry, maybe they should revive that show.
        Pro: freedom of speech
        Contra: cancel culture

        Comment


        • Originally posted by beredy View Post

          Yes, but I actually think they all first appeared on Star Search.
          That's totally true
          Waffles are checked cookies

          Comment


          • Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
            Considering that many associates of the Mickey Mouse Club ended up having successful careers in the entertainment industry, maybe they should revive that show.
            They did in 2017 and...um...just see for yourself.

            Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

            Comment


            • Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
              Yeah, I understand that it's a bit meh not to have access to all bonus tracks as a fan. But then again, I totally understand why artists do it and especially Japanese fans have to pay much more for albums than Europeans, so they deserve their bonus tracks ;) .
              I have had access to it since 2007 with my mp3 rip and that's enough for me. I wouldn't have bought a "target" edition to get one extra track anyway, even if i did live in the US.
              Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
              Pronouns: He / Him

              Comment


              • I mean.. with streaming, bonus track editions are kind of passe.

                But ten years ago, of course I'd get the Target edition - you get more tracks from an artist you like at no extra cost. Plus Target is everything over Wal-Mart.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                  I mean.. with streaming, bonus track editions are kind of passe.

                  But ten years ago, of course I'd get the Target edition - you get more tracks from an artist you like at no extra cost. Plus Target is everything over Wal-Mart.
                  But sometimes those editions come later so you might not even have known it was coming. I checked the release dates for the blackout album and the "Target" edition was released only two weeks after the standard. So who in their right minds is gonna buy it again for just one track. ( Stans do not count as I know that is what they do)
                  Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                  Pronouns: He / Him

                  Comment


                  • I assume that these days, albums are mostly sold by fans, but when it comes to acts like Adele or Ed Sheeran, most of the copies were bought by the general audience and they don't know (or even care) about release dates. But when it comes to them, they most likely instantly go for the standard edition instead of an expensive deluxe edition.

                    As you guys know, I'm a physical dude and for my favorite acts, I like bonus tracks as additional 'goodie'. When it comes to acts that are so-so to me, I'm totally fine with the standard edition.
                    Pro: freedom of speech
                    Contra: cancel culture

                    Comment


                    • I can't imagine why Target would do that willingly. They would want those first day sales too. Maybe it has something to do with Blackout's change in release date?

                      It's not been typical for the times I purchased from there. Speaking form my Target exclusive experience, that's pretty unusual.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                        I assume that these days, albums are mostly sold by fans, but when it comes to acts like Adele or Ed Sheeran, most of the copies were bought by the general audience and they don't know (or even care) about release dates. But when it comes to them, they most likely instantly go for the standard edition instead of an expensive deluxe edition.

                        As you guys know, I'm a physical dude and for my favorite acts, I like bonus tracks as additional 'goodie'. When it comes to acts that are so-so to me, I'm totally fine with the standard edition.
                        I find all the different editions ridiculous, and they are basically done to bleed stans dry who know no better than to keep buying the same album over and over for one extra track, or a different colour CD, or a free print, or a diary page and to boost numbers far beyond what they would be if only one standard copy was available. . Release one damn copy of your album and leave it at that !! Also a lot of these extra edition tracks are not put on to streaming platforms so it forces the die harders to buy a physical copy of whatever edition they are on. Which they do, cos they just buy everything available. I personally don't get why you would bother
                        Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                        Pronouns: He / Him

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by InFamous View Post

                          I find all the different editions ridiculous, and they are basically done to bleed stans dry who know no better than to keep buying the same album over and over for one extra track, or a different colour CD, or a free print, or a diary page and to boost numbers far beyond what they would be if only one standard copy was available. . Release one damn copy of your album and leave it at that !! Also a lot of these extra edition tracks are not put on to streaming platforms so it forces the die harders to buy a physical copy of whatever edition they are on. Which they do, cos they just buy everything available. I personally don't get why you would bother
                          nobody is forced to buy anything.
                          My Chart

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                            Maybe it has something to do with Blackout's change in release date?
                            Nope. Blackout’s release date change was due to the album’s leak. It had a pretty terrible leak like 2 months before the release and Perez Hilton was involved with it. The leak was so bad and spread so quickly that they had to change the original release date and release the album sooner than it was intended.
                            Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                            Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by stevyy View Post

                              nobody is forced to buy anything.
                              Obviously not at gunpoint, but they still do because they are STANS.
                              Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                              Pronouns: He / Him

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

                                Nope. Blackout’s release date change was due to the album’s leak. It had a pretty terrible leak like 2 months before the release and Perez Hilton was involved with it. The leak was so bad and spread so quickly that they had to change the original release date and release the album sooner than it was intended.
                                Hhmmm I wonder if I actually had the "target" edition track before it was actually released then.
                                Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                Pronouns: He / Him

                                Comment


                                • @InFamous: From a commercial point of view, I see why a re-release makes sense. From my personal point of view, I agree that it's basically asking for the fans to pay money twice. That's the main reason why I stopped buying albums early when there's the chance for a re-release. However, I don't mind a simultaneous release of a standard and a deluxe edition: As a customer, I can decide whether I just like the main stuff for a solid price or additional material for a few more dollars. If I go for a deluxe edition, I really want it to be worth the higher price though.
                                  Pro: freedom of speech
                                  Contra: cancel culture

                                  Comment


                                  • I always buy multiple copies of my favs releases. No big deal. I can afford it.

                                    It's always a must to buy the physical from your country... and then 1 Asian copy with the extra tracks, posters, pocket mirrors etc.

                                    Mariah is the only artist I had to buy a second copy of old albums bc my original copy wasn worn out: Music Box, Butterfly, #1's and Rainbow.

                                    I love to support Justice campaigns as well, thence my 2nd copy of Glitter.

                                    Also since Vinyl became a thing... I re-bought anything that is available on vinyl too.
                                    My Chart

                                    Comment


                                    • InFamous
                                      InFamous commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      My point had nothing to do with whether someone can afford it or not. I can also afford it but common sense will tell me I do not need to buy the same album ten times, as some stans do.

                                  • Originally posted by InFamous View Post

                                    Hhmmm I wonder if I actually had the "target" edition track before it was actually released then.
                                    Don’t know

                                    This is my favorite unreleased song from “Blackout” btw:



                                    The song didn’t make the cut (and didn’t suit the album that much either). It was eventually given / sold to a French singer who recorded it in French language after Britney didn’t use it.
                                    Last edited by MrLeonix; Fri July 10, 2020, 03:36.
                                    Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                                    Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

                                    Comment


                                    • ^^ I had that one too. Really like it also.
                                      Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                      Pronouns: He / Him

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by stevyy View Post
                                        I always buy multiple copies of my favs releases. No big deal. I can afford it.

                                        It's always a must to buy the physical from your country... and then 1 Asian copy with the extra tracks, posters, pocket mirrors etc.

                                        Mariah is the only artist I had to buy a second copy of old albums bc my original copy wasn worn out: Music Box, Butterfly, #1's and Rainbow.

                                        I love to support Justice campaigns as well, thence my 2nd copy of Glitter.

                                        Also since Vinyl became a thing... I re-bought anything that is available on vinyl too.
                                        Did you support #Justice4Bionic ?
                                        Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                        Pronouns: He / Him

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                                          @InFamous: From a commercial point of view, I see why a re-release makes sense. From my personal point of view, I agree that it's basically asking for the fans to pay money twice. That's the main reason why I stopped buying albums early when there's the chance for a re-release. However, I don't mind a simultaneous release of a standard and a deluxe edition: As a customer, I can decide whether I just like the main stuff for a solid price or additional material for a few more dollars. If I go for a deluxe edition, I really want it to be worth the higher price though.
                                          But all the different editions are not re-releases. They are released at the same time. or close to one another. An artist will have a preorder which the stans will do, then a week later announce a target edition or a special red cover edition. Just to give one example Mariah had SIXTEEN editions of Caution available. SIXTEEN.Taylor had all those versions with different diary pages for Lover, and before that she had different postcards or something similar for 1989. Re releases/deluxes often come later, so the fans can buy yet another copy of an album they have already for two or three more tracks. Case in point - Miss Gomez.
                                          Last edited by InFamous; Fri July 10, 2020, 05:47.
                                          Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                          Pronouns: He / Him

                                          Comment


                                          • We need new Rihanna music

                                            Comment


                                            • InFamous : Good examples. The ones you mentioned are the ones I don't support. What I'm fine with is, as of 2016 of course, the way Britney Spears released 'Glory': Standard edition for the people with less money, deluxe edition for the bonus and the Japanese edition because albums are expensive there. All of them have been released at the same time and the deluxe edition really is just standard edition + x . I bought the deluxe edition back in the day and the bonus tracks have been worth it.
                                              I would've preferred lyrics in the booklet, but that's another story...
                                              Last edited by theMathematician; Fri July 10, 2020, 12:24.
                                              Pro: freedom of speech
                                              Contra: cancel culture

                                              Comment


                                              • Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                                                InFamous : Good examples. The ones you mentioned are the ones I don't support. What I'm fine with is, as of 2016 of course, the way Britney Spears released 'Glory': Standard edition for the people with less money, deluxe edition for the bonus and the Japanese edition because albums are expensive there. All of them have been released at the same time and the deluxe edition really is just standard edition + x . I bought the deluxe edition back in the day and the bonus tracks have been worth it.
                                                I would've preferred lyrics in the booklet, but that's another story...
                                                Yeah those three editions of Glory coming at the same time are not what I have an issue with.
                                                Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                                Pronouns: He / Him

                                                Comment


                                                • Originally posted by InFamous View Post

                                                  My point had nothing to do with whether someone can afford it or not. I can also afford it but common sense will tell me I do not need to buy the same album ten times, as some stans do.
                                                  It's not the same album when it comes with new songs.

                                                  The most copies I own... are:

                                                  TEOM: 5
                                                  Caution: 5
                                                  Merry Christmas: 4
                                                  #1's: 3
                                                  #1 to Infinity: 3

                                                  and then:
                                                  Music Box: 2
                                                  Butterfly: 2
                                                  Rainbow: 2
                                                  Glitter: 2
                                                  E=MC²: 2
                                                  Memoirs: 2
                                                  MCIIY: 2
                                                  MIAM: 2

                                                  I also own 4 CD singles of WBT... (from different regions). Goldmoney


                                                  TEOM en detail:

                                                  TEOM - German standard
                                                  TEOM - German Digipack
                                                  TEOM - Japanese Standard
                                                  TEOM - Ultra Platinum
                                                  TEOM - Ultra Platinum Deluxe (with a DVD)
                                                  My Chart

                                                  Comment

                                                  Working...
                                                  X