Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cool ... so Taylor Swift, Rihanna and Adele were the Top 3 defining female artists of the 2010s decade on the Billboard charts.

    Beyoncé, Alicia Keys and Britney Spears were the Top 3 during the 2000s (only Beyoncé and Britney managed to re-appear in the 2010s decade list)

    Let’s see if either Taylor, Rihanna or Adele land an appearance by 2029 for the 2020s decade list. I personally feel the 3 of them have the potential to make it.
    Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
    Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

    Comment


    • At the glacial pace we're getting albums from RiRi and Adele, I won't hold my breath on their 2020s appearance

      Comment


      • Originally posted by aRat View Post

        No popstitution no hits. Beyonce scored top 5 hits right off the bat in 2003
        That sure worked for Adull.
        Greatest Of All Time

        Comment


        • Thanks aRat

          A very strong female quartet in the top 10 - Taylor, Rihanna, Adele and Katy. Stunning performances over the decade for those four leading ladies.
          Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
          Pronouns: He / Him

          Comment


          • Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
            At the glacial pace we're getting albums from RiRi and Adele, I won't hold my breath on their 2020s appearance
            Agreed.
            Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Good 4 U [15 weeks] + Adele's return

            Remember that you are water. Cry. Cleanse. Flow.
            Remember that you are fire. Burn. Tame. Ignite.
            Remember that you are air. Be still. Focus. Decide.
            Remember that you are earth. Ground. Build. Give.

            Comment


            • It's interesting that Ed Sheeran 'only' lands at No. 6 on that list. Focussing entirely on the US, he's had 3 very successful albums there. It's not his main market considering that his records have literally broken multiple records in Oceania, Ireland/the UK and many European countries though. Have you got an idea why this didn't happen in theh US?
              Pro: freedom of speech
              Contra: cancel culture

              Comment


              • Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                It's interesting that Ed Sheeran 'only' lands at No. 6 on that list. Focussing entirely on the US, he's had 3 very successful albums there. It's not his main market considering that his records have literally broken multiple records in Oceania, Ireland/the UK and many European countries though. Have you got an idea why this didn't happen in theh US?
                Did he, though?

                I think "Thinking Out Loud" is really what did it for him in the US. I'd say he had one mega-massive era (Divide), one successful one (Multiply), and a third that was moderately successful (Plus). #1 albums don't always tell the full story.
                Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Good 4 U [15 weeks] + Adele's return

                Remember that you are water. Cry. Cleanse. Flow.
                Remember that you are fire. Burn. Tame. Ignite.
                Remember that you are air. Be still. Focus. Decide.
                Remember that you are earth. Ground. Build. Give.

                Comment


                • theMathematician
                  theMathematician commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well, they had longevity in the US, but it isn't like they charted in the top 10 for 2 years+ or at No. 1 for 20+ weeks like in other countries.

              • Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post

                Did he, though?

                I think "Thinking Out Loud" is really what did it for him in the US. I'd say he had one mega-massive era (Divide), one successful one (Multiply), and a third that was moderately successful (Plus). #1 albums don't always tell the full story.
                Exactly, those lists being compiled from both singles and albums can make a big difference. I mean Ed isn't remotely close to matching the overall success of Adele in the US, there is a chasm between him and her in terms of sales.
                Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                Pronouns: He / Him

                Comment


                • The Top 3 female artists of each decade in US (Billboard decade chart):

                  1990s: Mariah Carey, Janet Jackson, Celine Dion

                  2000s: Beyoncé, Alicia Keys, Britney Spears

                  2010s: Taylor Swift, Rihanna, Adele

                  .... I couldn’t verify the 1980s but I assume it was: Madonna, Whitney Houston and Janet Jackson right?
                  Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                  Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
                    The Top 3 female artists of each decade in US (Billboard decade chart):

                    1990s: Mariah Carey, Janet Jackson, Celine Dion

                    2000s: Beyoncé, Alicia Keys, Britney Spears

                    2010s: Taylor Swift, Rihanna, Adele

                    .... I couldn’t verify the 1980s but I assume it was: Madonna, Whitney Houston and Janet Jackson right?
                    Maybe Cyndi Lauper over Janet Jackson?
                    Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Good 4 U [15 weeks] + Adele's return

                    Remember that you are water. Cry. Cleanse. Flow.
                    Remember that you are fire. Burn. Tame. Ignite.
                    Remember that you are air. Be still. Focus. Decide.
                    Remember that you are earth. Ground. Build. Give.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post

                      Maybe Cyndi Lauper over Janet Jackson?
                      Yeah .. I know Madonna and Whitney are on lock but I have no idea for the 3rd place.
                      Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                      Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

                      Comment


                      • This remains one of my favourited Ed songs, Wake me up. he was far better before he blew up. He completely lost me by album three.



                        Incidentally this is one of my favourite Rihanna songs. Close to you.


                        Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                        Pronouns: He / Him

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post

                          Maybe Cyndi Lauper over Janet Jackson?
                          Cyndi ? I don't know if they made a list like this for the 80s but in terms of US album sales for that decade Janet has sold a lot more than Cindy. They both placed 7 singles in the top 10 each ( although Janets 7 made the top 5 to Cindys 5) so I think Janet would have the edge overall.
                          Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                          Pronouns: He / Him

                          Comment


                          • Feminem is scurred
                            Greatest Of All Time

                            Comment


                            • Fake news.
                              Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                              Pronouns: He / Him

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                                Cyndi ? I don't know if they made a list like this for the 80s but in terms of US album sales for that decade Janet has sold a lot more than Cindy. They both placed 7 singles in the top 10 each ( although Janets 7 made the top 5 to Cindys 5) so I think Janet would have the edge overall.
                                I don’t think there was a big difference in albums sales between them.

                                Janet’s “Rhythm Nation” album was released in the late of 1989 (September) so most of it’s sales were produced during 1990 and 1991.

                                Both sold between 8million - 10million albums in USA during the 80s decade up until the end of 1989.
                                Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                                Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

                                  I don’t think there was a big difference in albums sales between them.

                                  Janet’s “Rhythm Nation” album was released in the late of 1989 (September) so most of it’s sales were produced during 1990 and 1991.

                                  Both sold between 8million - 10million albums in USA during the 80s decade up until the end of 1989.
                                  That is a very valid point and something I overlooked, although RN was certified double platinum within two months of its release. So I would still think Janet would have the edge.

                                  Cyndi sold approx 6/7 million albums max in that decade.
                                  Last edited by InFamous; Thu July 23, 2020, 03:37.
                                  Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                  Pronouns: He / Him

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                                    Cyndi sold approx 6/7 million albums max in that decade.
                                    “She’s So Unusual” alone sold +6million in the USA.
                                    Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                                    Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

                                      “She’s So Unusual” alone sold +6million in the USA.
                                      Approx 4.5 million of those sales came in the 80s with the rest coming after. 4 times platinum in 85 then IT was certified 5 times plat in 1991 and finally 6 times platinum in 1997.
                                      So like Janet's Rhythm Nation some of its sales came in the 90s.
                                      Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                      Pronouns: He / Him

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by InFamous View Post

                                        Approx 4.5 million of those sales came in the 80s with the rest coming after. 4 times platinum in 85 then IT was certified 5 times plat in 1991 and finally 6 times platinum in 1997.
                                        So like Janet's Rhythm Nation some of its sales came in the 90s.
                                        Certifications are not always given at the exact moment the album hits the milestone. Sometimes they are late.

                                        But applying the same to Janet .. then Janet’s “Control” got certified 5x Platinum in the USA in the very late of 1989 (October) meaning that (according to your method) “Control” sold max 5million copies up until the end of 1989. And “Rhythm Nation” wasn’t certified 2x Platinum until 1990 (meaning that it was bellow 2million during the 80s decade based on your criteria).

                                        This would mean Janet sold less than 7million albums in US during the 80s if we rely on tracking the certification dates (like you did with Cyndi).
                                        Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                                        Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

                                          Certifications are not always given at the exact moment the album hits the milestone. Sometimes they are late.

                                          But applying the same to Janet .. then Janet’s “Control” got certified 5x Platinum in the USA in the very late of 1989 (October) meaning that (according to your method) “Control” sold max 5million copies up until the end of 1989. And “Rhythm Nation” wasn’t certified 2x Platinum until 1990 (meaning that it was bellow 2million during the 80s decade based on your criteria).

                                          This would mean Janet sold less than 7million albums in US during the 80s if we rely on tracking the certification dates (like you did with Cyndi).
                                          Incorrect, Rhythm Nation was certified 2 by platinum in November of 1989 actually. Seeing as Cindys She's so Unusual was certified only 5 times platinum in 1991 your assertion that it sold 6+ million in the 80's ( which was the decade we were talking about) is clearly incorrect.

                                          I would estimate that Cindy sold 6-7 million albums in the 80s. Janet 8-9 million. So pretty close but Janet would have the edge in my opinion. Also seeing as Janets 7 singles were all top 5 on Billboard overall I am confident that on a billboard list Janet would come in ahead of Cindy for the 80's decade which was the original discussion point.
                                          Last edited by InFamous; Thu July 23, 2020, 14:41.
                                          Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                          Pronouns: He / Him

                                          Comment


                                          • Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                                            seller in music clubs which do not count for RIAA certs.
                                            This is not truth. Actually it’s the contrary. It is the RIAA the ones who count music club sales for certifications and the ones who don’t count them are Soundscan (which they have nothing to do with RIAA or certs).

                                            Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                                            They both placed 7 singles in the top 10 each.
                                            And this is not accurate either. Cyndi had 8 Top 10 hits during the 80s, not 7.
                                            Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                                            Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

                                            Comment


                                            • I think Diana Ross was pretty successful in the first half of the 80s. Don't know about her albums tho.

                                              Comment


                                              • Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

                                                This is not truth. Actually it’s the contrary. It is the RIAA the ones who count music club sales for certifications and the ones who don’t count them are Soundscan (which they have nothing to do with RIAA or certs).



                                                And this is not accurate either. Cyndi had 8 Top 10 hits during the 80s, not 7.
                                                Oh well I guess we were both wrong about a number of things then. You are correct about it being 8, I forgot about the Goonies soundtrack single. Of course you will never aknowledge that you were incorrect about when RN was certified double platinum. Or the amount of albums True Colours sold in the 80s.
                                                Despite that I would still place Janet ahead of Cindy taking into account both albums and singles charts points on the billboard charts. Janets seven top 5 would have accrued more points than Cyndis and on albums I would ascertain that Janet would have the edge. She also sold about 500,000 copies of her first two albums.
                                                Last edited by InFamous; Thu July 23, 2020, 05:19.
                                                Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                                Pronouns: He / Him

                                                Comment


                                                • Originally posted by InFamous View Post

                                                  Oh well I guess we were both wrong about a number of things then. You are correct about it being 8, I forgot about the Goonies soundtrack single. Of course you will never aknowledge that you were incorrect about when RN was certified double platinum. Or the amount of albums True Colours sold in the 80s.
                                                  Despite that I would still place Janet ahead of Cindy taking into account both albums and singles charts points on the billboard charts. Janets seven top 5 would have accrued more points than Cyndis and on albums I would ascertain that Janet would have the edge. She also sold about 500,000 copies of her first two albums.
                                                  Honestly I don’t really care who is ahead of who .. in fact, in my post I placed Janet Jackson and it was another user who suggested Cyndi.

                                                  However. Nah, It wasn’t true that Janet sold massively way more than Cyndi .. they were not that far away.

                                                  And the Top 10 hits thing was not accurate either. In fact I’m not sure about Janet’s single “Rhythm Nation”, it was released in the late of 1989 and didn’t debut on the chart until November, and I don’t know when did exactly reach the Top 10 but I’m 100% sure it reached it’s peak position in 1990.
                                                  Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                                                  Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

                                                  Comment

                                                  Working...
                                                  X