Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

Honestly I don’t really care who is ahead of who .. in fact, in my post I placed Janet Jackson and it was another user who suggested Cyndi.

However. Nah, It wasn’t true that Janet sold massively way more than Cyndi .. they were not that far away.

And the Top 10 hits thing was not accurate either. In fact I’m not sure about Janet’s single “Rhythm Nation”, it was released in the late of 1989 and didn’t debut on the chart until November, and I don’t know when did exactly reach the Top 10 but I’m 100% sure it reached it’s peak position in 1990.
    Neither do I, I'm not particularly invested in it.

I aknowledged this ten posts ago.

However, you were not at all accurate when Rhythm Nation album was certified double platinum. You said it happened in 1990 when it in fact happend in 1989 which would add a million more sales to Janet's total for the decade.
    Plus you attributed 6 million to Cyndi for True Colours when its absolute max ( judging by its 5 times plat certification in 1991) would have been 5 million.

So you created a discrepancy of 2 million album sales which is quite significant and rather inaccurate of you don't you think ?
    Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
    Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

Neither do I, I'm not particularly invested in it.

I aknowledged this ten posts ago.

However, you were not at all accurate when Rhythm Nation album was certified double platinum. You said it happened in 1990 when it in fact happend in 1989 which would add a million more sales to Janet's total for the decade.
      Plus you attributed 6 million to Cyndi for True Colours when its absolute max ( judging by its 5 times plat certification in 1991) would have been 5 million.

So you created a discrepancy of 2 million album sales which is quite significant and rather inaccurate of you don't you think ?
      That’s because I don’t take certifications for old albums that seriously (I mean, “In The Zone” was certified 2x Platinum by the RIAA despite the fact that it sold over 3million through soundscan and the certification was never updated) Sometimes old albums are left uncertified for YEARS and then suddenly get randomly updated without necessarily meaning the album hit that mark that year.

And yes I gave 6million to “She’s So Unusual” in the exact same way I gave 6 million to “Control” , so I was applying the same criteria by not guiding on certification dates for both of them Janet and Cyndi equally.

But then you applied that method to Cyndi and I said , well let’s do it to Janet too so “Control” went down from 6million to 5million

In both scenarios my point that they were not far away stood.
      Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
      Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

That’s because I don’t take certifications for old albums that seriously (I mean, “In The Zone” was certified 2x Platinum by the RIAA despite the fact that it sold over 3million through soundscan and the certification was never updated) Sometimes old albums are left uncertified for YEARS and then suddenly get randomly updated without necessarily meaning the album hit that mark that year.

And yes I gave 6million to “She’s So Unusual” in the exact same way I gave 6 million to “Control” , so I was applying the same criteria by not guiding on certification dates for both of them Janet and Cyndi equally.

But then you applied that method to Cyndi and I said , well let’s do it to Janet too so “Control” went down from 6million to 5million

In both scenarios my point that they were not far away stood.
        Seeing as Soundscan didn't start until 1991 they have no relevance to this. The only numbers we have for albums in the 80's is from RIAA and there numbers for the artists being discussed are legit. But I wasn't giving 6 million to Control so thats the difference, I was giving it 5. With the numbers we have available for Cindy you will do well to place her at 7 million albums sold in the 80's decade, let alone at 8 to 10 as you suggested at the start. Dont forget you also removed 1 million from RN's total when you incorrectly claimed it was only certified 2 times plat in 1990. Janet definitely reached 8 and likely closer to around 8.5 million albums sold in the 80s So a difference of around 1.5 to 2 million which is a pretty significant difference. IT's not like youre talking a couple hundred copies.
        Last edited by InFamous; Thu July 23, 2020, 14:45.

Comment

Seeing as Soundscan didn't start until 1991 they have no relevance to this. The only numbers we have for albums in the 80's is from RIAA and there numbers for the artists being discussed are legit. But I wasn't giving 6 million to Control so thats the difference, I was giving it 5. With the numbers we have available for Cindy you will do well to place her at 7 million albums sold let alone at 8 to 10 as you suggested at the start. Dont forget you also removed 1 million from RN's total when you incorrectly claimed it was only certified 2 times plat in 1990. Janet definitely reached 8 and likely closer to around 8.5 million albums sold in the 80s So a difference of around 1.5 to 2 million which is a pretty significant difference. IT's not like youre talking a couple hundred copies.
          Decade chart for Billboard would run from 80-89. As RN came out in September 89 it only had less than 3 months for 80s decade end chart. Album sales back then weren't as frontloaded as today so some estimation would be needed on to how much of the sales happened in 89 for them to be included in the 80s decade end chart, as all sales from the 1990 onward would count for 90s decade end chart.
          I have received many gifts from God,
          but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• There are rumors going around in Greater Albania that Duan*l is gonna release a remix version of Love Again with Madino. Thots beredy
            Last edited by aRat; Thu July 23, 2020, 10:04.
            DUA LIPA - RIHANNA - THE WEEKND - DOJA CAT
            98 - OUT

Comment

• Sis did that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnhk_UTyBqk&t=0s
              5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post
                There are rumors going around in Greater Albania that Duan*l is gonna release a remix version of Love Again with Madino. Thots beredy
                First rumors were Levitating remix.

I'd rather a new song.

Comment

• Originally posted by beredy View Post

First rumors were Levitating remix.

I'd rather a new song.
                  An insider said it's def not Levitating
                  98 - OUT

Comment

An insider said it's def not Levitating
                    Better. L & H are such an overrated FN songs. My two least favorite from the album.

Comment

• I love Love Again and it should've been a single instead of H but I doubt a fourth single will do anything if it isn't featuring an A-list celeb that's currently still getting hits. The gheys will love a Madino remix but I doubt it's something that will get playlist creators on Apple Music or Spotify wet.
                      aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

Decade chart for Billboard would run from 80-89. As RN came out in September 89 it only had less than 3 months for 80s decade end chart. Album sales back then weren't as frontloaded as today so some estimation would be needed on to how much of the sales happened in 89 for them to be included in the 80s decade end chart, as all sales from the 1990 onward would count for 90s decade end chart.
                        Rhythm Nation was certified double platinum in November of 1989. And I am sure it kept selling strongly over the Christmas period so I am sure it sold approx 2.5 million copies in 1989. It was already 3 times platinum by February of 1990. MrLeonix claimed that it wasn't certified 2 by platinum until late 1990 which was not at all accurate.
                        Last edited by InFamous; Thu July 23, 2020, 14:39.

Comment

Rhythm Nation was certified double platinum in November of 1989. And I am sure it kept selling strongly over the Christmas period so I am sure it sold approx 2.5 million copies in 1989. It was already 3 times platinum by February of 1990. MrLeonix claimed that it wasn't certified 2 by platinum until late 1990 which was not at all accurate.
                          Honestly, I don't really care, I just noticed that bigger numbers were talked about and the year 1990 got mentioned which would have nothing to do with the 80s decade end chart.

Comment

Honestly, I don't really care, I just noticed that bigger numbers were talked about and the year 1990 got mentioned which would have nothing to do with the 80s decade end chart.
                            Nah the bigger numbers weren't talked about. I used its certified sales in 1989 plus an estimation for the Christmas period. If you cared enough to read the whole sentence that you quoted it was pretty clear. Maybe you are not aware but by the end of 1990 it was actually certified 5 times platinum. Janet could move units back in the day.
                            Last edited by InFamous; Thu July 23, 2020, 15:02.

Comment

Nah the bigger numbers weren't talked about. I used its certified sales in 1989 plus an estimation for the Christmas period. If you cared enough to read the whole sentence that you quoted it was pretty clear. Maybe you are not aware but by the end of 1990 it was actually certified 5 times platinum. Janet could move units back in the day.
                              Stillt nothing to do with the eventual 80s decade end chart discussed here.

Comment

• Jeannette talk really?
                                98 - OUT

Comment

Never said it had.

Comment

Jeannette talk really?
                                    Dua stans have been really coming for Camila fans lately. Have you seen the interactions ?!

Comment

Dua stans have been really coming for Camila fans lately. Have you seen the interactions ?!
                                      what do you mean? the two fan bases clash all the time. It's nothing new.
                                      98 - OUT

Comment

what do you mean? the two fan bases clash all the time. It's nothing new.
                                        Oh. I dont understand why fan bases waste time arguing with a fanbase of someone way below their fave

Comment

Oh. I dont understand why fan bases waste time arguing with a fanbase of someone way below their fave
                                          True. This is why we are gradually moving on from her and onto other targets like Ga Ga
                                          98 - OUT

Comment

• Billboard - we need to change the way sales are counted so fans buying multiple copies will not skew the data.

Taylor - Hhmmm let me quickly release an album with sixteen deluxe editions only available in week one.

Comment

Exactly
                                              Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                                              Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

Billboard - we need to change the way sales are counted so fans buying multiple copies will not skew the data.

Taylor - Hhmmm let me quickly release an album with sixteen deluxe editions only available in week one.
                                                Why not? Blame the game to the player. I am not a Tayloo stan at all but you gotta admit the girl has strong ambitions and is savvy as hell
                                                98 - OUT

Comment

Why not? Blame the game to the player. I am not a Tayloo stan at all but you gotta admit the girl has strong ambitions and is savvy as hell
                                                  Exactly, Taylor debuted in 2006 and as of 2019 was still getting big numbers and Top 3 solo hits with the 7th studio album of her career.
                                                  Last edited by MrLeonix; Thu July 23, 2020, 17:36.

Comment

• InFamous
                                                    InFamous commented
                                                    Editing a comment
                                                    Beautiful edit.

She can enjoy one last round of golf I guess. I will just be very interested to track debut weeks of artists going forward. But they will probably just come up with a new trick as they always ahead of Billboard

Comment

Working...
                                                  X