No announcement yet.

Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I looked at wiki for Diana Ross to see her stake in the 80s decade thing, and her Hot 100 performance actually makes a decent showing - eight top tens and a few more top 40 songs. She released seven (!) albums in the 80s, a couple which went platinum, but my guess is the cumulative sales might be where it falls apart for her.

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
      So I looked at wiki for Diana Ross to see her stake in the 80s decade thing, and her Hot 100 performance actually makes a decent showing - eight top tens and a few more top 40 songs. She released seven (!) albums in the 80s, a couple which went platinum, but my guess is the cumulative sales might be where it falls apart for her.
      The thing with Diana is that she lacks albums sales.

Pat Benatar didn’t have that many Top 10 hits (4 Top 10 hits during the 80s) but she had 11 million certified copies for albums in the USA during the 1980s (all certifications given in the 80s).
      Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
      Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Yeah some of the albums did well, but none of them were a monster smash. Still kind of impressed she had that kind of impact so late into her career.

Comment

Yeah some of the albums did well, but none of them were a monster smash. Still kind of impressed she had that kind of impact so late into her career.
          Some of the stats for those older female artists are fascinating. They were often flopping for up to ten years before somehow resurging. Dionne Warwick, Cher off the top of my head.
          Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
          Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

Yeah some of the albums did well, but none of them were a monster smash. Still kind of impressed she had that kind of impact so late into her career.
            Barbra’s albums also received a sh*tload of certifications during the 1980s (like more than 20million units)

Tina Turner got 6,5 million certifications for albums during the 80s (probably 7 million in real sales which is not that far away from Janet and Cyndi) and she hd 5 Top 10 hits during the 80s.

I think it’s safe to say the biggest female artists of the 80s decade in the US were: Madonna, Whitney Houston, Barbra Streisand, Janet Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, Pat Benatar and Tina Turner.
            Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
            Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Speaking of Barbra the names of some of her albums crack me up.

Her first three albums -

The Barbra Streisand album
              The Second Barbra Streisand album
              The Third album

Then later - My Name is Barbra
              My Name is Barbra, Two

Then she had one called Je M' Appelle Barbra

And the best of all -

Barbra Streisand And other musical instruments

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                Speaking of Barbra the names of some of her albums crack me up.

Her first three albums -

The Barbra Streisand album
                The Second Barbra Streisand album
                The Third album

Then later - My Name is Barbra
                My Name is Barbra, Two

Then she had one called Je M' Appelle Barbra

And the best of all -

Barbra Streisand And other musical instruments
                I'm still waiting for Chillin' with Babs

Comment

• Stream this amazing song by Taylor - one of her best ever tracks. August, this has to be a single.

Comment

• Taylor is seriously showing everyone’s faves how it's done...again.
                    Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• Un Popstituta slays, ahhhh Duan*l can do nothing wrong
                      BEAUTY IS A MUST, TALENT IS A PLUS
                      98 - OUT

Comment

• So Taylor Swift went more acoustic and folk-ish in 2020 and is proving she can have real success with it?

14 years into the music business with the 8th studio album of her career.

Kudos to her.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
                          So Taylor Swift went more acoustic and folk-ish in 2020 and is proving she can have real success with it?

14 years into the music business with the 8th studio album of her career.

Kudos to her.
                          I'm not sure how you can determine 'real succes' when the album is only out for 1 day.
                          I haven't heard it yet, but I like 'Cardigan'. It's atleast a lot better then what she was doing on her previous 2 albums for me. Good video as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hejira View Post

I'm not sure how you can determine 'real succes' when the album is only out for 1 day.
                            I haven't heard it yet, but I like 'Cardigan'. It's atleast a lot better then what she was doing on her previous 2 albums for me. Good video as well.
                            Let’s not act as if the album won’t be effortlessly #1 and the single will struggle to reach the Top 40 or something.

This will be a success.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndiIversen View Post

I'm still waiting for Chillin' with Babs
                              She also has a Colour me Barbra!

Comment

• If y'all hadn't mentioned it, I wouldn't even know Tayloo had an album out. Her album launches used to be events, what happened? No one is talking about it, no promo, no banners anywhere, Dua has more hype for a Spanish single.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rihab View Post
                                  If y'all hadn't mentioned it, I wouldn't even know Tayloo had an album out. Her album launches used to be events, what happened? No one is talking about it, no promo, no banners anywhere, Dua has more hype for a Spanish single.
                                  She literally announced it 24 hours ago she was releasing something today.
                                  5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

Let’s not act as if the album won’t be effortlessly #1 and the single will struggle to reach the Top 40 or something.

This will be a success.
                                    I don't doubt that with about a hundred versions for her fans to buy + her name. The first week will be huge.
                                    I suppose the first week is all that matters now anyway, but I'm curious to see what a less commercial album without any buildup and promo will do for her in the long run.

Comment

If y'all hadn't mentioned it, I wouldn't even know Tayloo had an album out. Her album launches used to be events, what happened? No one is talking about it, no promo, no banners anywhere, Dua has more hype for a Spanish single.
                                      No is talking about it, I mean...you are talking about it. So you know she has an album out.

Comment

• I have to say for the first time in about 10 years I'm starting to enjoy some commercial pop music again.
                                        it's no coincidence that the trend seems to be throwbacks to the 90's 80's and 70's. I'm just glad we're beyond the plastic lifelessness craze a bit.

Comment

That's because less than 24 hours ago no one even knew she was going to release a new album. It was a surprise release, she announced it yesterday and everyone was like WTF!.

Comment

It was a surprise drop Have you listened ? Possibly wont be your cup of tea.

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post
                                              Un Popstituta slays, ahhhh Duan*l can do nothing wrong
                                              It's still amazing to me how Dua transformed herself from a slightly obscure artist to the biggest IT girl in pop in less than two years.

Would have been cool is she sang a line or two in Spanish though. "Un dia me amaras de nuevo" in one of the choruses or as an adlib in the outro would have been nice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hejira View Post
                                                I have to say for the first time in about 10 years I'm starting to enjoy some commercial pop music again.
                                                it's no coincidence that the trend seems to be throwbacks to the 90's 80's and 70's. I'm just glad we're beyond the plastic lifelessness craze a bit.

Be The One 5

Break My Heart 2

Don't Start Now 2

Electricity 5

Homesick 2

Hotter Than Hell 10

IDGAF 4

New Rules 1

No Lie 10

One Kiss 1

Physical 4

Scared to be lonely 2
                                                Gosh your hole's taste is immaculate. How come my hole is a neighbor but its taste couldn't get any worse?
                                                98 - OUT

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

It's still amazing to me how Dua transformed herself from a slightly obscure artist to the biggest IT girl in pop in less than two years.

Would have been cool is she sang a line or two in Spanish though. "Un dia me amaras de nuevo" in one of the choruses or as an adlib in the outro would have been nice.
                                                  Selling her soul to Daddy Satan right before NR was released really paid off

It would have been cute if she sang a bit in albanian though if she is so obsessed with making Greater Albania happen
                                                  98 - OUT

Comment

• ^Albanian is not what one woild call a musical language.
                                                    I have received many gifts from God,
                                                    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

Working...
                                                    X