Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by aRat View Post

I actually listened to Jessie Ware's album today and I like what I heard so am currently preoccupied with that
    Yay Enjoy

Comment

Current top 10 most streamed females on Spoitfy:
      1 Ariana Grande 18,577,617,287
      2 Rihanna 13,855,761,727
      3 Billie Eilish 12,472,420,231
      4 Taylor Swift 11,900,413,295
      5 Beyoncé 10,155,737,231
      6 Dua Lipa 10,103,145,884
      7 Nicki Minaj 10,093,457,379
      8 Sia 9,644,837,009
      9 Halsey 9,346,999,663
      10 Selena G. 9,280,948,750

Thots?
      Selena, Taylor and Rihanna legends
      Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift •

Comment

• eew, pop girls.

my local band, Leoniden, have released their new song "L.O.V.E." and it's easily better than anything the girls in that top 10 gave ever released.

My Chart

Comment

• Fergie's L.A. LOVE >>>

Comment

• Originally posted by Rihab View Post
            Fergie's L.A. LOVE >>>
            hew?
            My Chart

Comment

• One day you'll love me again

One day you'll love me for sure

DUA LIPA - RIHANNA - THE WEEKND - DOJA CAT
              98 - OUT

Comment

The thing with her is though that is too safe and never really risks anything and she simply doesn't have impact or legacy. Her range musically and artisically is laughable at best. It's all numbers with her.

She is like Drake & Ed Sheeran: massive success but also that's about it.
                Yeah bro.Nailed it!

She isn't Whitney,Mariah,Britney,Avril,etc. All names mentioned have classics records,a few at least if not all,but Taylor doesn't.

Comment

• Taylor’s selling point though is that she is safe and unthreatening. To her credit she does mix it in with some artistry, overthinks and throws in a Easter eggs all over the place - but she is at least engaged in her career and with her fans (I’ve heard some wonderful stories about interactions with them).

I want to explore her catalogue a lot more than I have (which was only two or three songs at most) but the thing about playing it safe is that you can always move away from it.

However playing it safe works for her and in a world with falling sales, debuting with over a million in one week, of an 8th album, is phenomenal. There aren’t many females who get to album #8 anyway (though trends are changing) let alone achieve so much success with it.

Clearly there’s a market for her brand and if it works, it works. Especially as she still comes across as someone who is early 20s rather than in her 30s. It’ll be interesting to see what happens to her success when she starts to grow up as an artist.
                  Bleep Bloop Blop

Comment

• Taylor makes music for 10 to 14 year olds... who want to appear edgy and who hate the flamboyant attitude of gay culture in pop girls. (There I said it).

However, Miss Taylor does have a couple of nice songs. Especially those who are a bit more camp.
                    My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post
                      Taylor makes music for 10 to 14 year olds... who want to appear edgy and who hate the flamboyant attitude of gay culture in pop girls. (There I said it).

However, Miss Taylor does have a couple of nice songs. Especially those who are a bit more camp.

I haven’t listened to enough of her music to really know, but if it’s true then so be it - there’s nothing wrong with that. Not every woman has a camp sensibility and not every female popstar has to include in their work.

But the whole safe, innocent girl next door thing she has going on (and those “Please feel sorry for me and get outraged on behalf of me” moments) can’t last forever. At some point she has to stand for something, become someone and offer something for people to relate to.

She’s been called out for not having an opinion many times before and as time goes by and her fans grow up, there has to be something there for her fans to admire about her other than her ability to write a half decent song.

At least you know where you stand with most other pop girls, who they are and what you’re going to get from them.
                      Bleep Bloop Blop

Comment

• She has been voicing her opinion since 1989 era.

How it comes off at times is a different conversation.
                        I have received many gifts from God,
                        but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• Originally posted by beredy View Post
                          She has been voicing her opinion since 1989 era.

How it comes off at times is a different conversation.
                          I don't necessarily mean when asked stuff, I mean through her work too. I know she had to make public announcements previously because fans were trying to get clarification on certain points from her - the fact like at almost 30 she hadn't publicly endorsed a politically party etc.

There is nothing wrong in playing things safe and not kicking up a fuss about anything and everything (she has enough drama without it). It's just for me personally, as a fan of music and the presentation of music as an art form, it's really interesting how her safeness has been embraced by the masses - because that's the antithesis of art and an artist to me. It feels very calculated and formulaic and oddly enough, the only time I thought she was interesting was when she went totally left field and did LWYMMD.

Because as a singer and songwriter, she is an artist and has one of the biggest platforms and followings in the world. An artist has to use those otherwise what an absolute waste of an opportunity to make a difference.

That's what I think anyway - in my current status as an outsider looking into the bubble of Miss Americana
                          Bleep Bloop Blop

Comment

• She has always been singing about her exes at least. That's personal. Moreso than some of the acts you stan which have also been safe lyrically.

​​​​​​

Comment

• The quoted replies to this are so funny

Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift •

Comment

• Keeping out of politics and social drama is the best Swift could do. Remember when Katy Perry started publically praising Hillary Clinton? It went commercially downhill from then on. The split with DJ Luke and the short hair didn't help either, but what I'm trying to say is, as the biggest artist in the country, you appeal to all kinds of demographics and should think twice whether you want to lose one by taking sides. That's why e.g. Ed Sheeran and Helene Fischer stick with the boy/girl next door image and keep their political views to themselves.
                                Pro: freedom of speech
                                Contra: cancel culture

Comment

• The way madonna went from wearing the same thing in 2 videos to being the most iconic woman in music. We love to see it

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                                    Keeping out of politics and social drama is the best Swift could do. Remember when Katy Perry started publically praising Hillary Clinton? It went commercially downhill from then on. The split with DJ Luke and the short hair didn't help either, but what I'm trying to say is, as the biggest artist in the country, you appeal to all kinds of demographics and should think twice whether you want to lose one by taking sides. That's why e.g. Ed Sheeran and Helene Fischer stick with the boy/girl next door image and keep their political views to themselves.
                                    I don't even follow her but I am pretty sure she has been dragging Trump and endorsed democratic candidates for quite some time now.

DUA LIPA - RIHANNA - THE WEEKND - DOJA CAT
                                    98 - OUT

Comment

• There are plenty of artists who have been political without career consequence - I'm not sure why that was the case with Katy. Actually, I'm not convinced if it IS the case with Katy. I feel like it was more the other things you mentioned - the hair, Dr Luke, etc. - that impacted her more.

Comment

• Originally posted by menime123 View Post

It feels very calculated and formulaic and oddly enough, the only time I thought she was interesting was when she went totally left field and did LWYMMD.
                                        I agree with the use of the word calculated when it comes to Taylor. I really enjoy folklore but it is hard to know if it's the authentic her or just a calculated move after the backlash she got for the childishness she showed on the Lover singles/ visuals. The change has worked but I just wonder is it just a hat she picked up because she needed that change or is it real. With Taylor it's hard to know.
                                        Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                        Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• This and the You Need To Calm Down Music Video were pretty clear poltical statements.
                                          aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                                            Keeping out of politics and social drama is the best Swift could do. Remember when Katy Perry started publically praising Hillary Clinton? It went commercially downhill from then on. The split with DJ Luke and the short hair didn't help either, but what I'm trying to say is, as the biggest artist in the country, you appeal to all kinds of demographics and should think twice whether you want to lose one by taking sides. That's why e.g. Ed Sheeran and Helene Fischer stick with the boy/girl next door image and keep their political views to themselves.
                                            Don’t forget how she also went against Taylor (the biggest music star in America). She was really naive to think she was going to get out alive after messing up with Taylor
                                            Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                                            Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• I think it'll depend on how she's going to follow-up 'folklore'. Thus far, it seems like a smooth progress. I would compare it to Miley Cyrus' career choices: She had her biggest era with 'Bangerz', which was like her 'wild' era. Then she toned it down and went country with 'Younger Now'. So far, so good. That era however didn't perform commercially and she returned to her wild side with 'She Is Coming'. That, imo, feels like a mistake to me as it makes 'Younger Now', which was supposed to be her 'authentic' record, seem inauthentic.
                                              Pro: freedom of speech
                                              Contra: cancel culture

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

I agree with the use of the word calculated when it comes to Taylor. I really enjoy folklore but it is hard to know if it's the authentic her or just a calculated move after the backlash she got for the childishness she showed on the Lover singles/ visuals. The change has worked but I just wonder is it just a hat she picked up because she needed that change or is it real. With Taylor it's hard to know.
                                                That's not necessarily a negative because she's still chasing success, rather than building herself up as an artist. From what I've heard, she's very motivated towards obtaining big sales, big streaming figures and wanting Grammy success etc. Nothing wrong with any of that, but if you jump around too much you can lose your sense of authenticity: artists can pull it off, popstars generally can't without it looking forced. Plus it can put your fans off - generally your music has to maintain the same sense of sensibility.
                                                Bleep Bloop Blop

Comment

• Welcome to the boards Katy Perry!

Comment

• From Taylor's Rolling Stone interview:

It also happened to you a few times on a smaller scale, didn’t it?

I’ve had several upheavals in my career. When I was 18, they were like, “She doesn’t really write those songs.” So my third album I wrote by myself as a reaction to that. Then they decided I was a serial dater — a boy-crazy man-eater — when I was 22. And so I didn’t date anyone for, like, two years. And then they decided in 2016 that absolutely everything about me was wrong. If I did something good, it was for the wrong reasons. If I did something brave, I didn’t do it correctly. If I stood up for myself, I was throwing a tantrum. And so I found myself in this endless mockery echo chamber. It’s just like — I have a brother who’s two and a half years younger, and we spent the first half of our lives trying to kill each other and the second half as best friends. You know that game kids play? I’d be like, “Mom, can I have some water?” And Austin would be like, “Mom, can I have some water?” And I’m like, “He’s copying me.” And he’d be like, “He’s copying me.” Always in a really obnoxious voice that sounds all twisted. That’s what it felt like in 2016. So I decided to just say nothing. It wasn’t really a decision. It was completely involuntary.

~So i guess she knew that people called the Lover singles 'childish' or whatever.
                                                    But for the most part i think it's because she had to reinvent herself. Women constantly have to reinvent themselves to have succes

Comment

Working...
                                                    X