Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Katy's downfall doesn't have anything to with the GP in my opinion. I think someone behind the scenes is destroying her. It's know way you go from 3 massive era's like that to performing like a flop independent artist. Plus those assault allegations coming at her. It's definitely not sitting right with me. Someone purposely ruined her career.

    Comment


    • Didn't the same happen with Debbie Gibson or Paula Abdul as well? I don't see someone purposely destroying her career. If anything, her material simply doesn't appeal to the masses anymore.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Aaronsmithjune1 View Post
        Katy's downfall doesn't have anything to with the GP in my opinion. I think someone behind the scenes is destroying her. It's know way you go from 3 massive era's like that to performing like a flop independent artist. Plus those assault allegations coming at her. It's definitely not sitting right with me. Someone purposely ruined her career.
        Being GPs darling was what drove katy's career she never had the biggest fanbase and first weeks. It's also not like she went from having massive hits to Smile..you probably forgot about Witness her transition era to moderate success/light flopping. She couldn't turn things around so this is where we are She is fine and she is not the first artist experiencing a fall from grace like that and won't be the last. We have to keep in mind that Roar, Dark Horse and the Prism era was 7 years ago it's not like this happened overnight.
        aRat's NUDES LEAKED

        Comment


        • Originally posted by InFamous View Post

          So would you like us to erase or discredit Madonna's slayage in the 80s just cos she flopped in the 10s ?
          MX still sold more in week 1 than Smile probably will in its lifetime.
          I have received many gifts from God,
          but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess
          .

          Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

          Comment


          • Originally posted by beredy View Post

            MX still sold more in week 1 than Smile probably will in its lifetime.
            What's the point of such comparisons?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
              Didn't the same happen with Debbie Gibson or Paula Abdul as well? I don't see someone purposely destroying her career. If anything, her material simply doesn't appeal to the masses anymore.
              Lol
              Debbie Gibson.

              Comment


              • None of the Diva's most recent albums would've sold more than Smile without a ticket bundle. Even Witness managed to do 182k with that. On top of that comes the fast changing industry making it hard to even compare 2019 to this year.

                (still, it's very different if it's your 10th+ album or your 5th but then again we don't argue that Katy is not on the legend career level)
                aRat's NUDES LEAKED

                Comment


                • Originally posted by theMathematician View Post

                  What's the point of such comparisons?
                  Maybe that Madonna actually built a fan base that's going strong for 40 years now, yet Katy... Well... Guess her cats don't have 9 lives.
                  I have received many gifts from God,
                  but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess
                  .

                  Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by beredy View Post

                    MX still sold more in week 1 than Smile probably will in its lifetime.
                    Tour bundles.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post
                      None of the Diva's most recent albums would've sold more than Smile without a ticket bundle. Even Witness managed to do 182k with that. On top of that comes the fast changing industry making it hard to even compare 2019 to this year.

                      (still, it's very different if it's your 10th+ album or your 5th but then again we don't argue that Katy is not on the legend career level)
                      Exactly. Just wait and see how these new rules affect the opening weeks of a lot of girls going forward.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post
                        None of the Diva's most recent albums would've sold more than Smile without a ticket bundle. Even Witness managed to do 182k with that. On top of that comes the fast changing industry making it hard to even compare 2019 to this year.

                        (still, it's very different if it's your 10th+ album or your 5th but then again we don't argue that Katy is not on the legend career level)
                        I don't think Katy would get much help from tour ticket bundles. Would people even be interested for her tour nowadays? Witness Tour has most of its tour dates unreported, but some of those that were reported had not that great of a sold %. And I think the not reporting shows that the tour probably didn't do as well as they hoped for. She might be heading for Janet's half sold arena territory. Prismatic Tour average per concert is $1.35m, yet Witness is at $0.73m. 46% drop in concert average from one tour to the next. That's quite a harsh drop in concert average and clearly showing mainstream just moving on from Katy. And Prismatic wasn't a stadium tour to make it a difference, both were arena tours.

                        Also ticket bundles are only a US thing. Smile bombed just as much in the rest of the world where the playing field is leveled.
                        I have received many gifts from God,
                        but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess
                        .

                        Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by InFamous View Post

                          Tour bundles.
                          Just US. No tour bundles in the UK. MX first week 25k, SadFace 5k. And that's just one country.
                          I have received many gifts from God,
                          but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess
                          .

                          Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by beredy View Post

                            Just US. No tour bundles in the UK. MX first week 25k, SadFace 5k. And that's just one country.
                            Katy sold far more than 5k in the UK lol and again no one said that Smile sold more than Madame X so don't see your point anyway. Doesn't matter if Smile sold one copy worldwide, that still won't change her former achievements and sales.
                            And I never said her overall career was on par with Madonna's anyway.
                            Last edited by InFamous; Tue September 8, 2020, 10:44.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                              Katy sold far more than 5k in the UK lol and again no one said that Smile sold more than Madame X so don't see your point anyway. Doesn't matter if Smile sold one copy worldwide, that still won't change her former achievements and sales.
                              But her former achievement and sales are fads it seems. Ask Paula Abdul who can't even fill a 700 seater in Vegas. Or Debbie Gibson whose biggest achievement in the 10s was guest starring in Katy's LFN. Hey, maybe some current pop girl in 2040s casts Katy in one of her vids as 10s nostalgia act.
                              I have received many gifts from God,
                              but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess
                              .

                              Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

                              Comment


                              • I'm not even a fan of Katy Perry, but saying her career is similar to Debbie Gibson, Paula Abdul, or even J.Lo is just false!
                                Teenage Dream and Prism were the biggest female albums of their respective year.
                                Neither of those names above ever became THE world's biggest female artist at any point of their career.

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by beredy View Post
                                  But her former achievement and sales are fads it seems. Ask Paula Abdul who can't even fill a 700 seater in Vegas. Or Debbie Gibson whose biggest achievement in the 10s was guest starring in Katy's LFN. Hey, maybe some current pop girl in 2040s casts Katy in one of her vids as 10s nostalgia act.
                                  I am sure a woman with a current net worth of 300 million dollars will be just fine. Those "fads" set her up for life so can't imagine she is too concerned about what unknown internet haters think of her.

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by melodious View Post
                                    I'm not even a fan of Katy Perry, but saying her career is similar to Debbie Gibson, Paula Abdul, or even J.Lo is just false!
                                    Teenage Dream and Prism were the biggest female albums of their respective year.
                                    Neither of those names above ever became THE world's biggest female artist at any point of their career.
                                    Certain people just like to invent their own version of reality and preach it like it's fact lol.
                                    Anyone comparing Katy to Debbie Gibson or Paula Abdul can't really be taken seriously.

                                    Comment


                                    • It is interesting how you writing about Katy like she is the first pop star to see a decline, I mean Christina had her lotus era 13 years in her career, lead peaked #34 and album at #7. Both Smile and Lotus have similar metacritic. I am not comparing , but there are plenty examples of artists dipping after the 12 years.

                                      Last edited by PopFan; Tue September 8, 2020, 12:01.

                                      Comment


                                      • Well Paula's debut spawned 4 #1 hits and was actually the best-selling album by a female artist of 1989 according to Billboard's year-end chart and then she followed that up with a second album that went #1, was certified 3x Platinum and spawned 2 #1 hits. Teenage Dream and Prism.
                                        Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

                                        Comment


                                        • Teenage dream is certified 8 times platinum in the US alone so no. Trying to put Paula Abdul and Katy Perry on the same level is like saying Christina was as big as Britney.

                                          Comment


                                          • Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                                            Teenage dream is certified 8 times platinum in the US alone so no. Trying to put Paula Abdul and Katy Perry on the same level is like saying Christina was as big as Britney.
                                            Christina had more hits actually in the early 2000s and she was winning more awards than Britney. I think Britney leveled out Aguilera in the late 00s and early 10s. I know based on stats, Britney has a bigger career, but i feel like Aguilera will impact more artists as an inspiration, such as Demi Lovato and many more. Stripped is actually so timeless, if you listen it today.

                                            Comment


                                            • Originally posted by PopFan View Post

                                              Christina had more hits actually in the early 2000s and she was winning more awards than Britney. I think Britney leveled out Aguilera in the late 00s and early 10s. I know based on stats, Britney has a bigger career, but i feel like Aguilera will impact more artists as an inspiration, such as Demi Lovato and many more. Stripped is actually so timeless, if you listen it today.
                                              I wasn't talking about inspiration. Obviously no singer is gonna cite someone who can't sing as their inspiration. Hits? Check Britney's album sales dear. Christina doesn't touch her and never did.

                                              Comment


                                              • I like Christinas hits more, maybe it is just me, Genie in a Bottle is kinda iconic, it kinda defined a generation. An older friend of mine told me that song was everyones most favourite song. Lady Marmalade became an anthem and Christina was the Center of the attention. It was Video of the Year at the VMAS at the time.

                                                Comment


                                                • Katy Perry is earning $25m from American Idol per season while you are discussing her "flop career"

                                                  She'll be more than fine and even if won't have success from now on, she still has and will have more money than you can ever imagine.

                                                  As for Christina vs Britney, it was a useless comparison cause both girls did different types of Pop music. The same with comparing Madonna & Mariah and Beyoncé & Rihanna. People can and should enjoy the music without thinking about sales and charts, at the end of the day it's them who are earning that money and praise and what do you get from other people's achievements?
                                                  Cha Cha Instructor

                                                  Comment


                                                  • As for living in 80's & 90's, they were great decades. When a huge star released an album, it was a worldwide event. Not only in US & UK and Europe but the whole world. I don't see that in today's stars, apart from Adele.
                                                    Cha Cha Instructor

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X