Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by aRat View Post

Bish Wedding Song is your everyday sing.

It could be worse though. At least it's not Xmas Fad Song.
    Did you hit play at least?

Originally posted by abi on GOAT
    You know what? UKMIX really did wonders on this song for me.

I really went from not caring for this song at all to having this as my most played Mariah song of all time because of the constant mentions of this song from some of y'all here.

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post
      my sunday bop to wake up to and start the day is.....

DREAMLOVER by THE Mariah Carey!

Baby, come and take me awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyya
      I hope it was the Dupri Mix !!
      Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
      Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Look at Britney murdering the other girlies. Princess of Pop for a reason.
        Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• Hey y'all
          Diva!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by JeremySpears View Post

Look at Britney murdering the other girlies. Princess of Pop for a reason.
            Pure album sales yawn... that's such a 1999 throwback... just like Brittanny herself

BEAUTY IS A MUST, TALENT IS A PLUS
            98 - OUT

Comment

• Abel looks like such a snack in your new avi abi

98 - OUT

Comment

• What about in mine

Comment

Pure album sales yawn... that's such a 1999 throwback... just like Brittanny herself

.. But yesterday albums sales were extremely important for people during the Rihanna Vs Taylor debate. In fact people even went as far as saying singles were overrated and that sps units from (what they called) free streams only inflated units and that it wasn’t the same as selling albums. In other words album sales were the biggest thing ever yesterday (just because that fit their narrative that Taylor was “bigger than Rihanna”).

... However I knew the minute JeremySpears posted that video people were going to say: “Album sales don’t matter” (contrary to what was said yesterday) ... just because in this forum people are not coherent and they change the narrative every day depending on what’s convenient that day
                  Last edited by MrLeonix; Sun September 13, 2020, 21:01.
                  Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                  Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• At least RiRi and Tay have been around roughly the same amount of time, so more of a comparison can be made. (idk Rih may have a year or two on Taylor?)

Not diminishing Brit's success at all, but comparing her sales to acts that came out a decade later is pretty silly considering the boom of album sales had passed by then. The comparisons with Pink or Xtina make more sense.

I also wonder why they started in the mid-90s? And I'm puzzled why Celine would be left out if that was the case cause the whole Titanic thing would have been huge.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

.. But yesterday albums sales were extremely important por people during the Rihanna Vs Taylor debate. In fact people even went as far as saying singles were overrated and that sps units from (what they called) free streams only inflated units and that it wasn’t the same as selling albums. In other words album sales were the biggest thing ever yesterday (just because that fit their narrative that Taylor was “bigger than Rihanna”).

... However I knew the minute JeremySpears posted that video people were going to say: “Album sales don’t matter” (contrary to what was said yesterday) ... just because in this forum people are not coherent and they change the narrative every day depending on what’s convenient that day
                      Not me. Maybe the dusties said that.

My stance has always been that:

Frih Streams, Radio Payola Airplay, Lil Quick Hits >>>>>>>>>>>>> dead metrics like pure album sales, physical sales & touring

98 - OUT

Comment

• Anyways ... pure album sales or sps units Brittany Sprix is still the biggest girl out of the modern popstitutes on Chartmasters

CSPC units:

1. Britney Spears - 103,324,000 units
                        2. Rihanna - 96,685,000 units
                        3. Taylor Swift - 91,059,000 units
                        4. Adele - 88,861,000 units
                        5. Beyoncé - 80,740,000 units
                        6. P!nk - 67,010,000 units
                        7. Lady Gaga - 65,920,000 units
                        8. Shakira - 62,135,000 units
                        9. Christina Aguilera - 53,732,000 units
                        10. Katy Perry - 49,093,000 units
                        11. Jennifer Lopez - 43,645,000 units

source: https://chartmasters.org/2020/05/csp...ate-streaming/

Last edited by MrLeonix; Sun September 13, 2020, 21:04.
                        Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                        Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                          What about in mine
                          In your what?
                          98 - OUT

Comment

• If Xtina cared... since 2002 (her peak in Europe), she stated that charts did not interest her at all. She might still be a product, but she chose the right career path. If we go the way that Britney had a radio ban, Xtina had in 2003-2007.
                            Xtina / Nathy Peluso / Rosalía / Nina Simone / Lauren Hill

Comment

• Originally posted by likeidogoldlink View Post
                              If Xtina cared... since 2002 (her peak in Europe), she stated that charts did not interest her at all. She might still be a product, but she chose the right career path. If we go the way that Britney had a radio ban, Xtina had in 2003-2007.
                              Xtina always cared.

“Bionic” was a mainstream pop commercial album , and the feature with Maroon 5 was extremely commercial too.

”Lotus” was a mainstream pop commercial album with the lead single produced by the most mainstream producer ever (Max Martin) and she even collaborated with Pitbull around this time.

”Liberation” had duets with “It girls” like Demi Lovato and Xtina nowadays works for Disney (the most mainstream platform ever)

Stop talking as if Xtina transformed into Björk or something like that because that was never the case.

Comment

Xtina always cared.

“Bionic” was a mainstream pop commercial album , and the feature with Maroon 5 was extremely commercial too.

”Lotus” was a mainstream pop commercial album with the lead single produced by the most mainstream producer ever (Max Martin) and she even collaborated with Pitbull around this time.

”Liberation” had duets with “It girls” like Demi Lovato and Xtina nowadays works for Disney (the most mainstream platform ever)

Stop talking as if Xtina transformed into Björk or something like that because that was never the case.

Before MLJ Maroon 5 flopped (+2007) so it was quite unexpected that it was a hit.
                                Sad Ballad in July, yes. You Lost Me wasn't released in Itunes, NMT - I'm still surprised this song flopped - a controversial music video killed that song, but shit with it, love this video.
                                I only agree with Flopus, it was only recorded to get a hit. She never performed with Your Body because she didn't feel that music (and well, dancepop is for... who likes what). A song with Pitbull? No comment. (2011-12 was... the worst years for her)
                                Is Demi Lovato it girl? More like poison on charts (even though I like her and think she sings well). She released the risky song Accelerate wanted a hit, for sure. FIL sounds like a typical radio hit, yes. Oh, she released both songs on Wednesday - yes, she cares about the charts.
                                She works for Disney because they asked her to. After all, she recorded Reflection 22 years ago. She did what Celine did, she sang again - a new version.
                                No, she's not Bjork, she's Christina Aguilera, who doesn't care about charts.
                                Last edited by likeidogoldlink; Sun September 13, 2020, 21:51.
                                Xtina / Nathy Peluso / Rosalía / Nina Simone / Lauren Hill

Comment

• This 80s song will always be one of the greatest female recordings ever made:

- This was the #1 biggest song of 1981 according to the Billboard Year-End chart.

- It is the 17th biggest Billboard Hot 100 hit of ALL TIME (according to the Billboard All Time list)

- It went #1 in over 10 countries (including USA, France, Germany and Italy) and Top 10 in 20 countries

- With over 208 million streams on Spotify it’s one of the 10 most streamed female songs of the entire 1980s decade

- It won Two Grammy Awards for “Song Of The Year” and “Record Of The Year”

Perfection ... Timeless classic

Comment

• At the end of the day most UKMIX members still have taste. Mariah is at #1 another week!
                                    My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

.. But yesterday albums sales were extremely important for people during the Rihanna Vs Taylor debate. In fact people even went as far as saying singles were overrated and that sps units from (what they called) free streams only inflated units and that it wasn’t the same as selling albums. In other words album sales were the biggest thing ever yesterday (just because that fit their narrative that Taylor was “bigger than Rihanna”).

No matter how you want to spin it ten people downloading the same track or 1500 people streaming the same song is not the same thing as one person purchasing an album.
                                      I don't have a problem with SPS per se as streaming is how I have listened to music for years, but its not the same thing. Its an equivalent. The hint is in the names TEA - Track equivalent unit, SEA - Streaming equivalent unit. IT's simply a conversion.
                                      Even that chartmaster person who you quoted in his definition of the CSPC clearly startes that a download is never the same as a physical purchase and in fact he weights them differently when he is compiling his list. Which is why Britney is ahead - her pre digital era physical singles are worth far more points than the singles of those girls who are primarily from downloads. ( digital era)
                                      Why do you think in certain countries like the UK they discount the streams from the two most popular songs and average the rest to compile the streaming portion of the album chart ? - to stop one or two super popular songs skewing the performance of the album. I believe they do this in other countries also. It's just simple logic.

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

No matter how you want to spin it ten people downloading the same track or 1500 people streaming the same song is not the same thing as one person purchasing an album.
                                        I don't have a problem with SPS per se as streaming is how I have listened to music for years, but its not the same thing. Its an equivalent. The hint is in the names TEA - Track equivalent unit, SEA - Streaming equivalent unit. IT's simply a conversion.
                                        Even that chartmaster person who you quoted in his definition of the CSPC clearly startes that a download is never the same as a physical purchase and in fact he weights them differently when he is compiling his list. Which is why Britney is ahead - her pre digital era physical singles are worth far more points than the singles of those girls who are primarily from downloads. ( digital era)
                                        Why do you think in certain countries like the UK they discount the streams from the two most popular songs and average the rest to compile the streaming portion of the album chart ? - to stop one or two super popular songs skewing the performance of the album. I believe they do this in other countries also. It's just simple logic.
                                        Ok “Teenage Dream + Teenage Dream: The Complete Confection” combined = 5,8 million shipments according to IFPI.

Remember it

Comment

Ok “Teenage Dream + Teenage Dream: The Complete Confection” combined = 5,8 million shipments according to IFPI.

Remember it
                                          What's your point ?
                                          I never said that sps units should not be counted, but I can recognize the difference between both things.

Even the person you use to make your point about Britney, guru chartmaster, recognizes the differences between physical and digital sales and weights things accordingly.

Bringing Katy again ?

Seems like this is a " can't even go on the internet, without even checking your name situation"

Comment

• So Billboard launched their global chart now. The first result looks like this:

Thots phallus lovers?
                                            98 - OUT

Comment

• Phallus lovers ^^ . Lovely! I don't know any of them bar 'Blinding Lights', which is old and should've died months ago, and 'Watermelon Sugar', which is nice .
                                              Pro: freedom of speech
                                              Contra: cancel culture

Comment

So Billboard launched their global chart now. The first result looks like this:

Thots phallus lovers?
                                                Selegend the first female pop artist to debut on the chart’s top 10 as she should.
                                                Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                                                  At the end of the day most UKMIX members still have taste. Mariah is at #1 another week!
                                                  yass. taste won.
                                                  My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                                                    Phallus lovers ^^ . Lovely! I don't know any of them bar 'Blinding Lights', which is old and should've died months ago, and 'Watermelon Sugar', which is nice .
                                                    Listen to this Phallus Lovers Anthem which is #1 there then:

98 - OUT

Comment

Working...
                                                    X