Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PopFan View Post

Sorry, but Beautiful Ghosts and Only The Young were not made for streaming royalties lol, the one is attached to a panned tragedy of movie and the other to a Netflix documentary, which by the way is very good.

The Shawn Mendes lover remix was to boost Lover song on the charts.
    And none of them were made to collect money/streaming royalties? Okay
    aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

• Playlists are just an evolution of music rotation, not that different from how back in the 80s and 90s radio playlists were essential to sell records or how being on MTV rotation was key for the younger generation to know about your music. Things evolve. Playlists are essential to get streams and for people to know about your music in the same way other tools were used before for that.

Being on large playlists doesn’t mean you’re not playing fair, it just means you’re relevant enough to be added to those playlists, if you’re not there it’s only because you’re not relevant or cool enough to be there .... just in the same way back in the 90s if you weren’t relevant you wouldn’t get played on the radio or if you weren’t cool enough MTV wouldn’t play you .. simple. Large playlists are not a bad thing, it’s exactly the same business pattern we’ve known for decades but evolved to current forms. If an artist is not included on a big playlist it’s because the artist doesn’t hold the demand to justify the inclusion in there so blame it on the artist for that, never on the playlists.
      Last edited by MrLeonix; Wed September 23, 2020, 13:48.
      Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

• And did I write that the playlists are bad? I'm curious to see what their streams looked like without them.
        Last edited by likeidogoldlink; Wed September 23, 2020, 13:57.
        Xtina/Snoh ​​Aalegra/Rihanna/Lauren Hill/Rosalía/Nina Simone/Patti Smith

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
          Playlists are just an evolution of music rotation, not that different from how back in the 80s and 90s radio playlists were essential to sell records or how being on MTV rotation was key for the younger generation to know about your music. Things evolve. Playlists are essential to get streams and for people to know about your music in the same way other tools were used before for that.

Being on large playlists doesn’t mean you’re not playing fair, it just means you’re relevant enough to be added to those playlists, if you’re not there it’s only because you’re not relevant or cool enough to be there .... just in the same way back in the 90s if you weren’t relevant you wouldn’t get played on the radio or if you weren’t cool enough MTV wouldn’t play you .. simple. Large playlists are not a bad thing, it’s exactly the same business pattern we’ve known for decades but evolved to current forms. If an artist is not included on a big playlist it’s because the artist doesn’t hold the demand to justify the inclusion in there so blame it on the artist for that, never on the playlists.
          This is actually true, the playlisting is not payola as some people think, the editors on Apple Music and Spotify are usually editing the playlists, based on artists insights. The only case something may be considere payola is when artists and labels want to release a new song, they will try to put it first everywhere in some cases, but if for example Christina Aguilera wants to release a new single, the spotify editor wont luckily put it in the biggest playlists or at the first positions, because Spotify listeners don't listen much to Christinas catalog. Today it is actually important to be liked by Spotify and Apple Music editors and a lot of new artists kinda attend a bunch of spotify events, in hope of being favoured in some playlists.
          Last edited by PopFan; Wed September 23, 2020, 13:59.

Comment

• Originally posted by PopFan View Post

This is actually true, the playlisting is not payola as some people think, the editors on Apple Music and Spotify are usually editing the playlists, based on artists insights. The only case something may be considere payola is when artists and labels want to release a new song, they will try to put it first everywhere in some cases, but if for example Christina Aguilera wants to release a new single, the spotify editor wont luckily put it in the biggest playlists or at the first positions, because Spotify listeners don't listen much to Christinas catalog. Today it is actually important to be liked by Spotify and Apple Music editors and a lot of new artists kinda attend a bunch of spotify events, in hope of being favoured in some playlists.
            Exactly, and it’s no different than it was before , if you were not liked by Radio programmers or the audience didn’t request your songs enough then radios wouldn't play you enough. Same for MTV.

It’s the same thing we’ve always seen and known. Nothing has changed regarding the logic of rotation and mainstream, the only thing that changed is the method of consumption.
            Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

• While I do agree with the correlation between playlisting and radio - that is in fact a very good comparison and I had not thought of it in those terms before - there is still definitely payola involved in spotify, as there was for radio in the past ( and still is).

Comment

It’s the same thing we’ve always seen and known. Nothing has changed regarding the logic of rotation and mainstream, the only thing that changed is the method of consumption.
                !!!
                Is it offensive to fall in love with you and everything you do
                and everything you stand for?
                Could I break through your invisible wall, could I hide my pride for once,
                just to tell you that I see more?

Comment

• It’s the same old .. there can be payola on Spotify as there was payola on radio and radio deals during the 80s and 90s. No difference.

And yes , some artists will be given priority on Spotify playlists in the same way it’s always happened for decades with other formats.

Back in the 90s radio programmers would give more priority on their playlists to Mariah Carey (who had the demand and requests) than Donna Summer (who was pretty big during the 70s and 80s but was already in decline by the 90s) ... MTV would give priority to Eminem in 2000 because he had the demand to justify the heavy rotation contrary to (let’s say) Phil Collins or Lionel Richie (80s darlings who by 2000 were moving less demand than Eminem).

And it’s exactly the same today with Spotify and it’s playlists. You can’t expect Kelly Clarkson to get the same Spotify playlist support as if she was Billie Eilish or Ariana Grande who have the demand to justify many more placements on Spotify playlists.

It’s the same old game with an evolved method of consumption. You can’t get mad at Spotify.

Comment

• I still remember when Spotify got a bigger mainstream appeal how people thought that including it in the charts would result in them becoming more diverse in terms of sounds and ages when, in fact, they've become even more homogenous than before. So yeah, it's basically the same kind of concept but with a different format of consumption.

Comment

• Who's mad at spotify ? I don't really care if an artist pays someone to play or feature their tracks. I was just making the point that payola still exists. ( And always will ) It's just business.

Also theMathematician Spotify/streaming has allowed artists who mostly thrive on those methods of consumption to feature highly on the charts. If the charts were done on pure sales/ digital sales and radio alone they would be very different, particularly in the US. Some of the albums in the top 10 are selling less than 2k copies.
                      Last edited by InFamous; Wed September 23, 2020, 17:23.

Comment

• Yeah, there are different target audiences and different forms of consumption. We haven't got relations as extreme as in the US, but I'm sure that someone like Apache 207 has got most of his units coming from streaming, while someone like Andrea Berg has got most of her units coming from physical sales. In Germany, those formats actually coexist and both acts may actually go platinum with their albums.

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                          Yeah, there are different target audiences and different forms of consumption. We haven't got relations as extreme as in the US, but I'm sure that someone like Apache 207 has got most of his units coming from streaming, while someone like Andrea Berg has got most of her units coming from physical sales. In Germany, those formats actually coexist and both acts may actually go platinum with their albums.
                          It’s always been that way. Different targets through different media and formats in order to push album units.

Back in the 90s radio was key for someone like Janet Jackson to push her albums but radio wouldn’t be necessarily important for some alternative band like Hole who would need to rely on touring mostly to build a fanbase instead.

In the same way MTV played a huge part in artists like Eminem, Beyoncé and Britney Spears (turning them into superstars) yet MTV would be irrelevant for Celine Dion’s career and success.

Comment

• ET Canada
                            "Morissette also gushed over Janet Jackson.

“I have been obsessed with Janet Jackson for as long as I can remember,” she shared. “I remember having gone to see her perform when I was 15 in Toronto, and there was something about having watched her perform that day that just kind of put a spell on me, and I think I was with my manager at the time.”

“I remember turning to him and saying… basically said something along the lines of, ‘I now am very clear about what I want to do with my life,'” she concluded.
                            Diva!!!

Comment

• I need new Adele, Rihanna and Beyoncé albums in my life. 2020 will be a perfect year (for music) if they all dropped albums.
                              Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Biggest chocolate anthem ever?
                                Last edited by Goldmoney; Fri September 25, 2020, 19:30.
                                Originally posted by beredy
                                When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• I think Artic Monkeys are by far the greatest mainstream music act of the 21st Century. I would also say Arcade Fire are quite cool and I kinda like The Weeknd too.

As for females, can we conclude Amy Winehouse and Lana Del Rey are the two greatest female mainstream artists of the 21st century? (I consider Beyoncé part of the 90s so I don’t count her here).

Comment

• Of course i've heard it G$, what a bop.
                                    Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Rhythm Nation.
                                      Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• ^ Out of that list? ... Green Day’s “Boulevard Of Broken Dream” and Madonna’s “Frozen”

Comment

^ Out of that list? ... Green Day’s “Boulevard Of Broken Dream” and Madonna’s “Frozen”
                                          Agree.

EDIT: Agree with Madonna before you edited your post. Big no to Green Day.
                                          I have received many gifts from God,
                                          but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• Originally posted by beredy View Post

Agree.

EDIT: Agree with Madonna before you edited your post. Big no to Green Day.
                                            I had not seen the full list so of course as soon as I saw “Boulevard” on it I knew I had to edit. I loved that song back in mid-00s ..... my favorite song / single from the “American Idiot” era is the lead single and same titled song “American Idiot” though (easily a 00s classic).

Comment

• I had my teens during the 2000s decade (2000-2009) so many great mainstream singles while I was growing up:

- Incubus - Drive
                                              - Incubus - Love Hurts
                                              - 3 Doors Down - Kryptonite
                                              - U2 - Beautiful Day
                                              - Moby - Porcelain
                                              - Red Hot Chili Peppers - Otherside
                                              - Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
                                              - Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way
                                              - Daft Punk - One More Time
                                              - Alicia Keys - Fallin’
                                              - Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood
                                              - Destiny’s Child - Independent Women Pt. 1
                                              - Staind - It’s Been Awhile
                                              - The White Stripes - Fell In Love With A Girl
                                              - The White Stripes - Seven Nation Army
                                              - Norah Jones - Don’t Know Why
                                              - Eminem - Lose Yourself
                                              - Johnny Cash - Hurt
                                              - Beyoncé - Crazy In Love
                                              - Green Day - American Idiot
                                              - Britney Spears - Toxic
                                              - Artic Monkeys - I Bet You Look Good On The Dance Floor
                                              - Amy Winehouse - Tears Dry On Their Own
                                              - Amy Winehouse - You Know I’m No Good
                                              - Slipknot - Psychosocial
                                              - Kings Of Lion - Sex On Fire

... etc ... memories

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                                                I need new Adele, Rihanna and Beyoncé albums in my life. 2020 will be a perfect year (for music) if they all dropped albums.
                                                2021 says hi.

Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

#FreeBritney

Comment

I think Artic Monkeys are by far the greatest mainstream music act of the 21st Century. I would also say Arcade Fire are quite cool and I kinda like The Weeknd too.

As for females, can we conclude Amy Winehouse and Lana Del Rey are the two greatest female mainstream artists of the 21st century? (I consider Beyoncé part of the 90s so I don’t count her here).
                                                  Amy is probably second to Adele at this point, despite both actually releasing music that was very much not mainstream at all (jazz and AC).
                                                  Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

#FreeBritney

Comment

• Some others:

- Blink 182 - Adam’s Song
                                                    - Madonna - Don’t Tell Me
                                                    - The Offspring - Want You Bad
                                                    - No Doubt - Simple Kind Of Life
                                                    - Aerosmith - Jaded
                                                    - Macy Gray - Sweet Baby
                                                    - Travis - Sing
                                                    - Justin Timberlake - Cry Me A River
                                                    - Oasis - Stop Crying Your Heart Out
                                                    - Evanescence - My Inmortal
                                                    - P!nk - God Is A DJ
                                                    - Green Day - Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
                                                    - The Killers - Mr Brightside
                                                    - Shakira - Don’t Bother
                                                    - Fiona Apple - O’Sailor
                                                    - Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc
                                                    - Red Hot Chili Peppers - Dani California
                                                    - Amy Winehouse - Back To Black
                                                    - Justice - D.A.N.C.E
                                                    - Britney Spears - Gimme More
                                                    - MGMT - Kids
                                                    - Santigold - L.E.S Artistes

2000s nostalgia
                                                    Last edited by MrLeonix; Sat September 26, 2020, 18:05.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X