Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post

In the 90s, you were lucky to be able to buy a single.
    This must have been a US thing because in the UK singles were really popular all thru the 90s, my older brother has literally hundreds of them at home?
    I know singles used to become unavailable after a time. I remember trying to get a record shop to order me a single and they told me it had been "deleted" and therefore it was unavailable.

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

In the 90s an artist would have been dropped with a 2nd single performing like that.
      It's not like Maria did much better outside the US. Doesn't she like have only 5 or 6 top 10 hits in our hole?

BEAUTY IS A MUST, TALENT IS A PLUS
      98 - OUT

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
        Exactly the point I was trying to make. Thanks for concluding right there ;) .
        What was your point exactly ? That having a successful single on the charts depends on radio, spotify support and good video views ?
        Talk about stating the obvious.

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post

It's not like Maria did much better outside the US. Doesn't she like have only 5 or 6 top 10 hits in our hole?

queen was selling them albums, bebe. albums are... things that consist of numerous songs which are related to each other...

also Miss Germany was not an important market for the queen of Japan.
          My Chart

Comment

After Vision of Love hit no 9 in the UK, it took her another 2 years to see the Top 10 again. Mariah took a while to establish herself in the UK, It wasn't until her cover of Ill be there was released that she had another top 10. She had a good streak of top tens after that though. 5 years.

Comment

queen was selling them albums, bebe. albums are... things that consist of numerous songs which are related to each other...

also Miss Germany was not an important market for the queen of Japan.
              Whatever babygerl I don't curr about what happened back during the jurassic era xoxo.

But omg only 1,5 months to go and it will be December again and my suffering because of Chrismas Fad Song smashing will begin again... YUCK

Let's hope Miss Corona somehow cancels its resurrection just like she managed to cancel everything else this year.

98 - OUT

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

This must have been a US thing because in the UK singles were really popular all thru the 90s, my older brother has literally hundreds of them at home?
                I know singles used to become unavailable after a time. I remember trying to get a record shop to order me a single and they told me it had been "deleted" and therefore it was unavailable.
                It might have just been here. Particularly in the late 90s, they were trying to force people to buy the whole album for one song. So, quite a few radio hits were ineligible to chart.

Comment

Whatever babygerl I don't curr about what happened back during the jurassic era xoxo.

But omg only 1,5 months to go and it will be December again and my suffering because of Chrismas Fad Song smashing will begin again... YUCK

Let's hope Miss Corona somehow cancels its resurrection just like she managed to cancel everything else this year.

Miss Xmas.mp3 is already approaching 300k daily streams. <3
                  My Chart

Comment

After Vision of Love hit no 9 in the UK, it took her another 2 years to see the Top 10 again. Mariah took a while to establish herself in the UK, It wasn't until her cover of Ill be there was released that she had another top 10. She had a good streak of top tens after that though. 5 years.
                    Top 10s in the UK for MIMI per year:

1990 - 1
                    1991 - 0
                    1992 - 1
                    1993 - 2
                    1994 - 4
                    1995 - 2
                    1996 - 2
                    1997 - 1
                    1998 - 2
                    1999 - 1
                    2000 - 2
                    2001 - 0
                    2002 - 1
                    2003 - 1
                    2004 - 0
                    2005 - 3
                    2006 - 0
                    2007 - 0
                    2008 - 1
                    2009-present: 0

your 5 years remark is ... well incorrect.
                    My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post

It might have just been here. Particularly in the late 90s, they were trying to force people to buy the whole album for one song. So, quite a few radio hits were ineligible to chart.
                      Oh yeah but wasn't that because labels just didn't bother even releasing them commercially. I think that was more of a US thing cos in the UK radio doesn't count for the charts so there must have been commercial singles available? eg Torn by Natalie Imbruglia

Comment

Top 10s in the UK for MIMI per year:

1990 - 1
                        1991 - 0
                        1992 - 1
                        1993 - 2
                        1994 - 4
                        1995 - 2
                        1996 - 2
                        1997 - 1
                        1998 - 2
                        1999 - 1
                        2000 - 2
                        2001 - 0
                        2002 - 1
                        2003 - 1
                        2004 - 0
                        2005 - 3
                        2006 - 0
                        2007 - 0
                        2008 - 1
                        2009-present: 0

your 5 years remark is ... well incorrect.
                        Learn what the word streak means sweetie.
                        Mariah had a streak of top tens from Ill be there to Honey which was 5 years, until the streak was broken by Butterfly which only hit no 22.
                        I never said she didn't have more Top 5's after her streak was broken. So no, my statement was completely correct.

Comment

Learn what the word streak means sweetie.
                          Mariah had a streak of top tens from Ill be there to Honey which was 5 years, until the streak was broken by Butterfly which only hit no 22.
                          I never said she didn't have more Top 5's after her streak was broken. So no, my statement was completely correct.
                          your intentions, darling... always the snake and it's time to cut the lawn, darling.
                          My Chart

Comment

your intentions, darling... always the snake and it's time to cut the lawn, darling.
                            There were no intentions at all, I actually think Mariah did amazing to have a FIVE year streak of Top 10's in the UK.
                            Maybe you should stop reading so much into everything.

Comment

• Don't worry y'alls dusty faves still have a chance.. all they need to do is go viral on TikTok:

aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

• We love a brilliant Halloween anthem.

Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post
                                  Don't worry y'alls dusty faves still have a chance.. all they need to do is go viral on TikTok
                                  Yea. Melanie Martinez got a random massive hit with a Deluxe Track from her debut album, because a slowed down version of the song went viral on TikTok. I have even noticed the track is now suggested by Spotify's algorithm to my own play lists, even if it's one song I actually don't like.
                                  ​​​​​​
                                  I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
                                  I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

Don't worry y'alls dusty faves still have a chance.. all they need to do is go viral on TikTok:

thankfully my fave is a Tik Tok magnet
                                    98 - OUT

Comment

• Art
                                      Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                                      Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Quite random BUT I did not know that Christina Millian and Rachel Stevens used the same instrumental for different songs (Glide and I Need More). I was scrolling through Christina's It's About Time earlier.......I Can Be That Woman is still a bop!

I remember Brooke Valentine had the Sweet Dream instrumental for her Blah Blah Blah song.

Comment

• Originally posted by dylonj View Post
                                          Quite random BUT I did not know that Christina Millian and Rachel Stevens used the same instrumental for different songs (Glide and I Need More). I was scrolling through Christina's It's About Time earlier.......I Can Be That Woman is still a bop!

I remember Brooke Valentine had the Sweet Dream instrumental for her Blah Blah Blah song.
                                          Jordin Sparks and Kylie share this too !!

Comment

Don't worry y'alls dusty faves still have a chance.. all they need to do is go viral on TikTok:

Billboard really need to stop counting Tic Toc videos for the charts ( If they do )

Comment

• TikTok videos translate into massive boosts for songs on streaming platforms (Apple Music, Spotify, Youtube, etc) ... So it’s all fair.
                                              Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                                              Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

Jordin Sparks and Kylie share this too !!
                                                One Step at a Time and All I See? or did I miss something?

Comment

• God Control and I Don't Search I Find prove that Madonna can still produce a brilliant disco-pop record.
                                                  Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Not my rhythms, but this song is very good, wow
                                                    Xtina/Snoh ​​Aalegra/Rihanna/Lauren Hill/Rosalía/Nina Simone/Patti Smith/Kali Uchis

Comment

Working...
                                                    X