Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aaronsmithjune1 View Post
    If the music biz had of focused on making great album in the 90s-2000 and not scamming people into buying albums because singles wasn't that available, illegal downloads probably would've never took off the way it did. People are still willing to pay for music judging by all the premium music streaming accounts there is, but no one wants to be robbed or tricked into buying something terrible.
    As if piracy didn't exist before the internet age..
    Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
    Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
      Hhmmm dunno if I find this amazing or ridiculous. Alicia on BBMAs

She looks ridiculous but other than that I think it's an amazing petformance
      aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

• 90s vibe for me today with Martika.
        My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• MPG / OPG / LPG Miss Angela Lansbury is celebrating her 95th birthday today. Congratulations queen. Her involvment in Beauty and The Beast MADE the movie great. I love her and can't wait to seeing her in something new again.

My Chart

Comment

• I agree, there have been a few albums following the 'a couple of good songs + fill it up with fillers' logic in the 90s to early 00s. During the last few years, artists have really improved in that department though and we've had many albums scoring 80/100+ on Metacritic, which underlines their quality as a whole body of art rather than a string of songs. I would like more artists to focus on concept albums though as that's where the format 'album' really gets to shine.
            Pro: freedom of speech
            Contra: cancel culture

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
              I agree, there have been a few albums following the 'a couple of good songs + fill it up with fillers' logic in the 90s to early 00s. During the last few years, artists have really improved in that department though and we've had many albums scoring 80/100+ on Metacritic, which underlines their quality as a whole body of art rather than a string of songs. I would like more artists to focus on concept albums though as that's where the format 'album' really gets to shine.
              Since when is metacritic an indicator of whether a given album is good?
              Following this logic, Ava Max's music is 'better?' than most albums from the early 2000s, which is bullshit. Of course, everyone has their own taste, but she is one of the most basic figures in recent years. Her music sounds like rejections from 15 years ago. I have nothing against her, I cheer for her, but cmon...
              Xtina / Nathy Peluso / Rosalía / Nina Simone / Lauren Hill

Comment

I agree, there have been a few albums following the 'a couple of good songs + fill it up with fillers' logic in the 90s to early 00s. During the last few years, artists have really improved in that department though and we've had many albums scoring 80/100+ on Metacritic, which underlines their quality as a whole body of art rather than a string of songs. I would like more artists to focus on concept albums though as that's where the format 'album' really gets to shine.
                Metacritic has nothing to do with an albums quality, it is just a bunch of peoples subjective opinions.

Comment

• Originally posted by likeidogoldlink View Post

Since when is metacritic an indicator of whether a given album is good?
                  Following this logic, Ava Max's music is 'better?' than most albums from the early 2000s, which is bullshit. Of course, everyone has their own taste, but she is one of the most basic figures in recent years. Her music sounds like rejections from 15 years ago. I have nothing against her, I cheer for her, but cmon...
                  It's not a good indicator. The 90s gave me more great albums than the 00s or 10s.
                  Then again, Ava Max gave me one of the best albums in years.

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

Metacritic has nothing to do with an albums quality, it is just a bunch of peoples subjective opinions.
                    I kind of disagree here. A single review does not mean much, agreed. A lot of reviews either praising or criticizing an album, on the other hand, have got a certain significance, which does not mean, of course, that you have to agree with that on a personal level. I prefer Christina Aguilera's 'Stripped' (55/100) over Beyoncé's 'Lemonade' (92/100), for example.

Comment

I kind of disagree here. A single review does not mean much, agreed. A lot of reviews either praising or criticizing an album, on the other hand, have got a certain significance, which does not mean, of course, that you have to agree with that on a personal level. I prefer Christina Aguilera's 'Stripped' (55/100) over Beyoncé's 'Lemonade' (92/100), for example.
                      Not really, because it is just an average of peoples opinions at the end of the day.
                      Selena Gomez's recent album was critically acclaimed for example.

And I am sure you understand how averages work. Two bad reviews can bring an album down. So again it means nothing really.

Comment

Did you read the Stripped review? They didn't focus on the music at all, but on the Dirrty image.
                        Anti has less points than Ava Max's debut. And there are tastes again, right? But... I won't be convinced by anyone who thinks that Rihanna's album is worse than Ava.

Comment

Did you read the Stripped review? They didn't focus on the music at all, but on the Dirrty image.
                          Anti has less points than Ava Max's debut. And there are tastes again, right? But... I won't be convinced by anyone who thinks that Rihanna's album is worse than Ava.
                          I love Rihanna, but I prefer Ava's album. You act like your taste is superior to anyone else with a different opnion.

Comment

Ava has a cute song or two but listening to a full album of that. No thanks.
                            Kings or Queens is a bop though, but yeah super basic music.

Comment

• InFamous : Do you think the same about award shows or is there one you personally consider credible?

Comment

• I’m not even sure if Ava Max’ album is on metacritic at all ... and that “77/100” score that appears on her album’s Wikipedia page is not from metacritic .. it’s from a weird page called “album of the year” based on 3 reviews

So I don’t know what people are talking about.
                                Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                                Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post

I love Rihanna, but I prefer Ava's album. You act like your taste is superior to anyone else with a different opnion.
                                  No, I don't think my taste is better than someone else's. No. But in my opinion Ava's album is just basic, the lyrics are at the level of a teenager, not an adult woman, average production at least, beats sounding like weak 2005 albums = whole, not for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
                                    I’m not even sure if Ava Max’ album is on metacritic at all ... and that “77/100” score that appears on her album’s Wikipedia page is not from metacritic .. it’s from a weird page called “album of the year” based on 3 reviews

So I don’t know what people are talking about.
                                    Let's not pretend that these pages are different. Both count the votes of 15-30 people. So this tiny number of people decide if something is good or not? I prefer Grammy, there are at least 5k people there.

Comment

• I prefer listening myself and decide for myself if an album is for me.

Comment

Let's not pretend that these pages are different. Both count the votes of 15-30 people. So this tiny number of people decide if something is good or not? I prefer Grammy, there are at least 5k people there.
                                        3 reviews though .... That’s hardly any critical acclaim. There are albums with lower scores that have 30-35 reviews. Those are real reviewed albums.

And the Grammys .. even Pitbull and Meghan Trainor are voters there, everyone who has been nominated are voters sometimes people who don’t even know about music like the guys who did “Who Let The Dogs Out” .... and just because there are 5K voters doesn’t mean the 5K people vote in every category (they’re all splitted in fields and some people who vote in certain fields can’t vote in other fields and so on .. ) .... and I don’t even know if the voting process means a single thing since the trophies there are bought and negotiated by people.
                                        Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                                        Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

3 reviews though .... That’s hardly any critical acclaim. There are albums with lower scores that have 30-35 reviews. Those are real reviewed albums.

And the Grammys .. even Pitbull and Meghan Trainor are voters there, everyone who has been nominated are voters sometimes people who don’t even know about music like the guys who did “Who Let The Dogs Out” .... and just because there are 5K voters doesn’t mean the 5K people vote in every category (they’re all splitted in fields and some people who vote in certain fields can’t vote in other fields and so on .. ) .... and I don’t even know if the voting process means a single thing since the trophies there are bought and negotiated by people.
                                          All in all, show business is a fake.
                                          Stars who care about success will have this success, and people who don't care - not. So that's why I don't understand fandom fights over numbers (which are also distorted by the way).
                                          TALENT WILL ALWAYS DEFEND HIMSELF.

Comment

All in all, show business is a fake.
                                            Stars who care about success will have this success, and people who don't care - not. So that's why I don't understand fandom fights over numbers (which are also distorted by the way).
                                            I honestly respect success a lot. Not just in music but in general (in any field).

The most successful artists around the world worked harder than anyone, some probably didn’t sleep for a few years and they had the most horrible hectic schedules, lots of sacrifices, it’s genuine sweat.

Some people think that you can fabricate success magically by just doing marketing and being sit chilling in your home. That’s not how it works, of course having the right publicity and team of professional helps but that goes nowhere or doesn’t last long if the artist doesn’t work hard.

Success should never be minimized. Success is merit, it’s power, it’s impact, it’s a movement.

Comment

Well, who is supposed to say whether an artist is talented when apparently, neither charts nor critics are reliable judges?

Comment

InFamous : Do you think the same about award shows or is there one you personally consider credible?
                                                Again they are just people voting. Whether someone wins an award or gets a good review is irrelevant to me. If I like it I like it. For example there is an album called Fetch the bolt cutters by Fiona Pear which got 98 on metacritic and to me it's completely unlistenable. So I don't care what metacritic says.

Comment

InFamous : Do you think the same about award shows or is there one you personally consider credible?
                                                  The AMAs, Billboard awards and the ASCAP pop awards.

Comment

BEAUTY AND SEX WILL ALWAYS DEFEND HIMSELF.
                                                    Fixed
                                                    Last edited by aRat; Fri October 16, 2020, 14:58.
                                                    DUA LIPA - RIHANNA - THE WEEKND - DOJA CAT
                                                    98 - OUT

Comment

Working...
                                                    X