Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

The AMAs, Billboard awards and the ASCAP pop awards.
    Cool !
    Pro: freedom of speech
    Contra: cancel culture

Comment

Again they are just people voting. Whether someone wins an award or gets a good review is irrelevant to me. If I like it I like it. For example there is an album called Fetch the bolt cutters by Fiona Pear which got 98 on metacritic and to me it's completely unlistenable. So I don't care what metacritic says.
      Omg same I tried to listen to it but was bored to death and couldn't finish any song.

Jessus Ware outsold when it comes to indie flop girls
      BEAUTY IS A MUST, TALENT IS A PLUS
      98 - OUT

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

I honestly respect success a lot. Not just in music but in general (in any field).

The most successful artists around the world worked harder than anyone, some probably didn’t sleep for a few years and they had the most horrible hectic schedules, lots of sacrifices, it’s genuine sweat.

Some people think that you can fabricate success magically by just doing marketing and being sit chilling in your home. That’s not how it works, of course having the right publicity and team of professional helps but that goes nowhere or doesn’t last long if the artist doesn’t work hard.

Success should never be minimized. Success is merit, it’s power, it’s impact, it’s a movement.
        Just as labels can manipulate awards and 'acclaim', so can numbers (i.e. success). Payola on the radio or now on streaming platforms. Or labels are pushing their stars wherever they can. That is why I am not surprised what the music world looks like. And now, in 2020, the numbers 1 on Billboard are worthless at least. This does not show the popularity of the song at all, just manipulations on the part of the record company. And I have the impression that it has always been so.

Well, however, there is a difference between Aretha Franklin, Whitney, or now Adele, and typical musical products.
        Anyone can be made a big star if you invest money in it. And the labels do it in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's, 10's and now.
        Xtina / Nathy Peluso / Rosalía / Nina Simone / Lauren Hill

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post

Cool !
          And of course if an artist has broken Guinness world records that is real achievement and cannot be questioned or called into dispute.
          only real stars have broken those records - MJ, Whitney, Madonna, Katy etc.
          Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
          Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post

Fixed
            The star must be able to sell sex. I think it's just an add-on, because if you only have sex appeal, you are a product. Some have talent, beauty and sex.

Comment

• Originally posted by likeidogoldlink View Post
              The star must be able to sell sex. I think it's just an add-on, because if you only have sex appeal, you are a product. Some have talent, beauty and sex.
              Talent is as much a product as anything else as evidenced by all the manufactured big voiced singers that come and go
              98 - OUT

Comment

Talent is as much a product as anything else as evidenced by all the manufactured big voiced singers that come and go
                I do not agree. You can't buy talent.

Comment

You can't buy sex appeal either. Ask Taylor.
                  98 - OUT

Comment

You also don't need talent to be successful..

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post

Well, who is supposed to say whether an artist is talented when apparently, neither charts nor critics are reliable judges?
                      I guess it's simple. If you watch Demi's performances, you can tell that she has talent, and when you watch Selena Gomez's performances, she doesn't.

Comment

Gurl Taylor is very sexy.. didn't she twerk once?
                        Also you claimed half the industry had her in bed so she must have some moves.

Comment

Exactly.
                          ...and this is sad

Comment

I mean... lmao She is cute.

Comment

I guess it's simple. If you watch Demi's performances, you can tell that she has talent, and when you watch Selena Gomez's performances, she doesn't.
                              But Demi's screech- and screamfest performances are way harder to endure that Selena's chipmunk'd lipsynch'd performances
                              98 - OUT

Comment

But again that is subjective because I don't find Demi's screaming at all appealing and I find it hard to get through a performance of hers. Her only listenable song is Body Say.

Comment

• I like Taylor Swift: Her albums are well-received by critics, she's doing well on the charts, she's writing her own songs (sometimes even entirely on her own) and she's a very kind person .

I like 'Cool for the Summer'.
                                  Pro: freedom of speech
                                  Contra: cancel culture

Comment

But Demi's screech- and screamfest performances are way harder to endure that Selena's chipmunk'd lipsynch'd performances
                                    Both are... not my fav artists, but still Demi can sing and Selena... well, it's been a long time since I heard so that bad singing live.
                                    Last edited by likeidogoldlink; Fri October 16, 2020, 17:18.

Comment

Gurl Taylor is very sexy.. didn't she twerk once?
                                      Also you claimed half the industry had her in bed so she must have some moves.
                                      Selling sex =/= having sex

I mean like duh
                                      98 - OUT

Comment

Beauty and sex appeal are just as much a talent as singing is
                                        98 - OUT

Comment

Beauty and sex appeal are just as much a talent as singing is
                                          Christina Aguilera has everything (except the Lotus era)

Comment

But again that is subjective because I don't find Demi's screaming at all appealing and I find it hard to get through a performance of hers. Her only listenable song is Body Say.
                                            Girl I watched that recent Grammy performance of hers and was left with shattered ears
                                            98 - OUT

Comment

• Okay, Demi's example was a risky choice. But Ariana, she can sing (though the way she sings annoys me)

Comment

Christina Aguilera has everything (except the Lotus era)
                                                I mean we been knew. Her "mistake" was that she always took too long between releases and didn't have good producers. Knee was was ahead of her in that aspect.
                                                98 - OUT

Comment

I mean we been knew. Her "mistake" was that she always took too long between releases and didn't have good producers. Knee was was ahead of her in that aspect.
                                                  Yes, Brittany has always been ahead of Xtina in terms of popularity. In terms of producers? No no no. The best and legendary DJ Premier at B2B is the best that has happened to her and I hope that I will cooperate again.
                                                  And Xtina, it changes producers every time (minus Linda Perry). The only mistake she made was working with Dr. Luke? or the second popular producer during Lotus. Hopefully she will never work with them. Another collaboration with Kanye? Why not. I want rnb / soul bangers, not dance pop.

Comment

Girl I watched that recent Grammy performance of hers and was left with shattered ears
                                                    The worst idea in music history has to have been putting Demi and X together on a stage with mics set to on. That fall in line live performance... My god

Comment

Working...
                                                    X