Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

It's actually really an EP, hence why it is subject to different certification rules in the US.
    That's true. It's eligible for 6x platinum while it is only certified 4xP. SONY should really re-consider.
    My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

That's true. It's eligible for 6x platinum while it is only certified 4xP. SONY should really re-consider.
      Why is it 4 times platinum for shipments of 2 million again ? I remember this came up before and we resolved as to why but I can't remember the reason?

Comment

Why is it 4 times platinum for shipments of 2 million again ? I remember this came up before and we resolved as to why but I can't remember the reason?
        The album didn’t ship 2 million .. in fact, it actually SOLD 2,8 million through soundscan alone.

... the remaining 1,2M units could come from club sales I assume? ... club sales were huge during the 90s and even the early 00s and they were not counted / covered by soundscan.
        Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

After the first two albums going platinum, Unplugged was her first to go double platinum here. Music Box did even better going six times platinum. I loved those early days.
          My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

The album didn’t ship 2 million .. in fact, it actually SOLD 2,8 million through soundscan alone.

... the remaining 1,2M units could come from club sales I assume? ... club sales were huge during the 90s and even the early 00s and they were not counted / covered by soundscan.
            Something was changed on the RIAA site regarding that EP, it used to say 4 times platinum but 2 million sales. We had an entire discussion about it before. Maybe it was an error but it has been rectified now if so, it says 4 times platinum for 4 million copies.

Comment

The certification limits for EP is platinum = 500,000 units. which means that the album for having sold 2,8 million on soundscan alone (which at the time did not even cover all of the soundscan related sales we have today, means that it has 100% shipped 3 million units across the United States = 6x platinum.

RayRay the chartrun of Unplugged in the Netherlands was insane:

1992: 66 - 46 - 27 - 16 - 3 - 2 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 3 - 5 - 4 - 6 - 12 - 16 - 21 - 29 - 35 - 39 - 40 - 43 - 43 - 41 - (1993) 38 - 37 - 47 - 49 - 43 - 35 - 48 - 63 - 52 - 66 - 68 - 68 - 70 - 77 - 86 - 89 - 94 - 96 - 100 - 92 - 99 - 88 - 61 - 48 - 47 - 53 - 63 - 64 - 63 - 77 - 90 - 92 - 95 - 96 - 78 - 77 - 100 (1994) 88 - 46 - 28 - 21 - 24 - 26 - 32 - 35 - 38 - 39 - 46 - 71 - 80 - 91 - 86 - 60 - 37 - 33 - 43 - 34 - 24 - 24 28 - 40 - 43 - 37 - 39 - 63 - 72 - 77 - 80 - 74 - 60 - 66 - 79 - 93 - (1995) 98 - 94 - 91 - 91 - 86 - 99 - 84 - 51 - 42 - 38 - 35 - 37 - 56 - 68 - 71 - 79

45 weeks in the Top 40.
              My Chart

Comment

The certification limits for EP is platinum = 500,000 units. which means that the album for having sold 2,8 million on soundscan alone (which at the time did not even cover all of the soundscan related sales we have today, means that it has 100% shipped 3 million units across the United States = 6x platinum.
                According to the RIAA the “MTV Unplugged EP” was certified 4x Platinum based on 4 million units.

Link: https://www.riaa.com/gold-platinum/?...search_section

-

And this is the only official source. RIAA says they certify the album for 4 million units (not for 2 million).
                Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

RayRay the chartrun of Unplugged in the Netherlands was insane:

1992: 66 - 46 - 27 - 16 - 3 - 2 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 3 - 5 - 4 - 6 - 12 - 16 - 21 - 29 - 35 - 39 - 40 - 43 - 43 - 41 - (1993) 38 - 37 - 47 - 49 - 43 - 35 - 48 - 63 - 52 - 66 - 68 - 68 - 70 - 77 - 86 - 89 - 94 - 96 - 100 - 92 - 99 - 88 - 61 - 48 - 47 - 53 - 63 - 64 - 63 - 77 - 90 - 92 - 95 - 96 - 78 - 77 - 100 (1994) 88 - 46 - 28 - 21 - 24 - 26 - 32 - 35 - 38 - 39 - 46 - 71 - 80 - 91 - 86 - 60 - 37 - 33 - 43 - 34 - 24 - 24 28 - 40 - 43 - 37 - 39 - 63 - 72 - 77 - 80 - 74 - 60 - 66 - 79 - 93 - (1995) 98 - 94 - 91 - 91 - 86 - 99 - 84 - 51 - 42 - 38 - 35 - 37 - 56 - 68 - 71 - 79

45 weeks in the Top 40.
                  But now on the RIAA website it has changed - it now says it has been certified 4 times platinum for 4 million certified copies, not 2 million as it previously said when we had that discussion about it.

Comment

According to the RIAA the “MTV Unplugged EP” was certified 4x Platinum based on 4 million units.

-

And this is the only official source. RIAA says they certify the album for 4 million units (not for 2 million).
                    As Ive already told you that was changed since we had the prior conversation about it. I know what is says now, it didn't say that before. It had 2 million in the certified units section. If you read the intro on the Wiki page you got that soundscan 2.8 figure from ( which was also added recently) you will see that it still cites 2 million sales. Whoever updated it forgot to change that part.
                    Last edited by InFamous; Sat October 17, 2020, 23:21.

Comment

• Dead Petz is indeed a really good album even if it's not my personal favorite from Miley. I respect her for releasing a free album at the height of her popularity when she could've easily released Bangerz 2.0.

So good Younger Now aside (which is not as bad as people make it out to be), her material has been on point for quite some years now She's released nothing but quality over the past two years.

-Nothing Breaks Like a Heart
                      -Mother's Daughter (+ the entire SHE IS COMING EP)
                      -Slide Away
                      -Midnight Sky

Even On a Roll was catchy af. I can't wait for her album.

Comment

As Ive already told you that was changed since we had the prior conversation about it. I know what is says now, it didn't say that before. It had 2 million in the certified units section.
                        What counts is what it says now .. not what you say you read that no one can prove.

Comment

• The Netherlands is Mariah's #1 market in Europe (by market share)

1990 - #06 (0) - 06w Top 10 - 46w charting - Mariah Carey
                          1991 - #09 (0) - 03w Top 10 - 35w charting - Emotions
                          1992 - #01 (3) - 13w Top 10 - 116w charting - Unplugged
                          1993 - #01 (12) - 49w Top 10 - 91w charting - Music Box
                          1994 - #04 (0) - 02w Top 10 - 17w charting - Merry Christmas*
                          1995 - #01 (1) - 14w Top 10 - 52w charting - Daydream
                          1997 - #01 (2) - 02w Top 10 - 29w charting - Butterfly
                          1998 - #15 (0) - 00w Top 10 - 26w charting - #1's
                          1999 - #04 (0) - 02w Top 10 - 19w charting - Rainbow

*+ another 40 weeks on the Dutch Midprice Chart
                          My Chart

Comment

-

which means that the chartsmasters estimate of 6 million units is incredibly inaccurate

4 million USA
                            1,6 million EU
                            1 million JPN

It's closer to 7 million then.
                            My Chart

Comment

which means that the chartsmasters estimate of 6 million units is incredibly inaccurate

4 million USA
                              1,6 million EU
                              1 million JPN

It's closer to 7 million then.
                              Well, Chartmasters is not an official source, it’s just a fun guide that gives you an idea of things, but we all know he always underestimate the divas (not just Mariah but nearly all of them).

That’s why I like his numbers though. I prefer underestimation than overestimation.

Comment

The Netherlands is Mariah's #1 market in Europe (by market share)

1990 - #06 (0) - 06w Top 10 - 46w charting - Mariah Carey
                                1991 - #09 (0) - 03w Top 10 - 35w charting - Emotions
                                1992 - #01 (3) - 13w Top 10 - 116w charting - Unplugged
                                1993 - #01 (12) - 49w Top 10 - 91w charting - Music Box
                                1994 - #04 (0) - 02w Top 10 - 17w charting - Merry Christmas*
                                1995 - #01 (1) - 14w Top 10 - 52w charting - Daydream
                                1997 - #01 (2) - 02w Top 10 - 29w charting - Butterfly
                                1998 - #15 (0) - 00w Top 10 - 26w charting - #1's
                                1999 - #04 (0) - 02w Top 10 - 19w charting - Rainbow

*+ another 40 weeks on the Dutch Midprice Chart
                                The 90s was really a great decade to be a fan. The Emancipation of Mimi also did well here.
                                My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Rediscovered this amazing track last night, Martika Spirit. Still sounds so fresh today. The way it just builds and builds. Fantastic.
                                  Spirit.

Comment

• I come back to this classique from time to time
                                    BEAUTY IS A MUST, TALENT IS A PLUS
                                    98 - OUT

Comment

• The legendary Prince - If I was your girlfriend.
                                      The way he inspired everyone.

Comment

• It's over for Ariana
                                        aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

• Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post

It's over for Ariana
                                          A duet with H.E,R or is that the name of the song ?

Comment

• Adele? I am very curious about her new album. I'm sure the album will break all records. I hope that this time she will go a little beyond her scheme and show something different.

Xtina/Snoh ​​Aalegra/Rihanna/Lauren Hill/Rosalía/Nina Simone/Patti Smith

Comment

• Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post

It's over for Ariana
                                              Not even Adull releasing before Rihannal . Rihab sis we better just burn our stan cards already
                                              98 - OUT

Comment

• Originally posted by likeidogoldlink View Post
                                                Adele? I am very curious about her new album. I'm sure the album will break all records. I hope that this time she will go a little beyond her scheme and show something different.

She is skinny now. She better have some uptempo hoe bops.
                                                98 - OUT

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post

She is skinny now. She better have some uptempo hoe bops.

Reggae ballad is coming.
                                                  Xtina/Snoh ​​Aalegra/Rihanna/Lauren Hill/Rosalía/Nina Simone/Patti Smith

Comment

A duet with H.E,R or is that the name of the song ?
                                                    Neither.
                                                    Blue card is for the host, pink card for the musical guest.
                                                    5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

Working...
                                                    X