Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

For me The Distance is the clear standout.
    That song had hit potential. The title track too.

My faves are "One Mo' Gen" and "Giving Me Life".

Originally posted by likeidogoldlink View Post
    Lily Allen has released one of the best albums of 2018. I love it!
    I love that album too. It’s so underrated.
    Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• Originally posted by TIfan View Post

She ate that up and left our plate empty.
      She really is underrated as a vocalist

Comment

• Speaking of vocals. I kinda feel like Rihanna has the best vocal tone in mainstream history. The girls better be glad she's not a great vocalist. Because she would have ate everyone up. That's why she can turn anything into a hit. That voice is just mesmerizing

This performance isn't even that great from a vocalist standpoint, but the voice is just simply amazing

Last edited by Aaronsmithjune1; Wed October 28, 2020, 08:46.

Comment

• Maybe that's what it is about Rihanna. I've also been impressed with how she moves so fluidly within different genres and it almost always works for her.

Comment

• Rih is the Icon of her generation. And the biggest female hitmaker of all time. She can also pull Reggae, dancehall, tropical, Pop, R&B, Soul, Rock, acoustic, latin, dance, etc, etc and sound good in all of them.
            Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
            Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• I disagree, Madonna is the greatest female hitmaker of all time. She had hits for 25 years of her career. And she's still the biggest female singer ever.
              But Rihanna is the greatest hitmaker and the most iconic of her generation.

While Michael was the greatest of his generation (Madonna's generation), Rihanna is the greatest of hers. Because who is bigger than her? Drake and Swift? Nah.
              Xtina / Nathy Peluso / Rosalía / Nina Simone / Lauren Hill

Comment

• Rihanna is the best selling singles artist of all time and by now has more #1 and Top 10 hit songs around the globe than any other female artist, she’s already the biggest female hitmaker of all time ... not to mention she achieved that in just 11 years (2005-2016).
                Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Madonna is the best female selling artist of all time, she has more numbers 1 or 10 globally than any other woman.

But in terms of variety, I agree. Madonna-Christina-Rihanna-Miley. Female artists who rediscover themselves with a new album. Playing with musical genres.

Comment

• Originally posted by likeidogoldlink View Post
                    Madonna is the best female selling artist of all time, she has more numbers 1 or 10 globally than any other woman.

But in terms of variety, I agree. Madonna-Christina-Rihanna-Miley. Female artists who rediscover themselves with a new album. Playing with musical genres.
                    Madonna is the best selling female artists overall but she did not sell more singles than Rihanna.

Based on all the markets combined (US, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Ireland, Australia, UK, New Zealand, Switzerland, Spain, Norway, etc, etc) the 3 biggest female hitmakers of all time are: 1. Rihanna 2. Madonna 3. Britney Spears with more #1s and Top 10 hits (collectively) than any other female.

Comment

• Ariana's "My Hair" is one of the best tracks offa the new mixtape. The way she sings and phrases in actual whistle register is great. She is serving Chante Moore.
                      Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                      Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaronsmithjune1 View Post
                        Speaking of vocals. I kinda feel like Rihanna has the best vocal tone in mainstream history. The girls better be glad she's not a great vocalist. Because she would have ate everyone up. That's why she can turn anything into a hit. That voice is just mesmerizing

This performance isn't even that great from a vocalist standpoint, but the voice is just simply amazing

Rihanna is a pretty decent singer, although she has the propensity to go off key sometimes. Her tone is very pleasant and she has really improved. Although she is no Whitney or Katy she is head and shoulders above other pop girls when it comes to live vocals. I like the way that she can take her dance tracks and do them acoustically. The mark of a good vocalist.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

Madonna is the best selling female artists overall but she did not sell more singles than Rihanna.

Based on all the markets combined (US, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Ireland, Australia, UK, New Zealand, Switzerland, Spain, Norway, etc, etc) the 3 biggest female hitmakers of all time are: 1. Rihanna 2. Madonna 3. Britney Spears with more #1s and Top 10 hits (collectively) than any other female.
                          And based on this data, Madonna has the best statistics.

Comment

• I love madonna. But Rihanna songs are far bigger imo. Madonna doesn't have songs as big as diamonds, we found love, umbrella, work and love the way you lie. Sorry

Infamous stop setting Katy up

Comment

• Spain is a huge market, I agree. Liberation went number 1 there.

Comment

I love madonna. But Rihanna songs are far bigger imo. Madonna doesn't have songs as big as diamonds, we found love, umbrella, work and love the way you lie. Sorry

She has Like a Virgin, Las La Bonita, Like a Prayer, Vogue, Frozen, Hung Up, Music - huge hits.

Comment

• Certifications-wise (for her singles) Rihanna destroyed everyone... and she sold over 200 million singles around the world (And that’s just pure sales alone).

Comment

I love madonna. But Rihanna songs are far bigger imo. Madonna doesn't have songs as big as diamonds, we found love, umbrella, work and love the way you lie. Sorry

Setting her up how ? Katy is a really strong vocalist. She is far more competent vocally than Rihanna.

When did Rih ever serve anything like the bridge on HIH ? We know she uses other vocalists for high notes etc. ( Beba in Monster for example) Not shading her but she does.

Comment

• You can't really compare someone who peaked in the digital era of singles to someone who was selling physical singles at their peak. Also certification levels changed. In the US when Madonna was at her peak Platinum was 2 million sales and 1 million was for gold so it's not comparable.

Comment

• Madonna had more hits but Rihanna's hits are def bigger. You can easily see this on the fact that Rih has more weeks in the top 10 than Madonna overall despite having fewer hits.

Rihanna was on track to beat Madonna in the number of hits too but sadly she gave up on musqie and decided to become a sock seller
                                        BEAUTY IS A MUST, TALENT IS A PLUS
                                        98 - OUT

Comment

• Chart-runs wise and airplay-wise Rihanna also destroys everyone!

I love Madonna WAYYY more than Rihanna .... but Madonna had many short-lived good peaking singles (like “Rescue Me”, “Fever”, “Drowned World / Substitute For Love”, “American Life”, “Hollywood”, etc, etc), songs that would debut high in the Top 10 of several markets and then would drop off the charts in a few weeks (some even spent 1 week in the Top 10). So just because she has many Top 10 entries doesn’t really mean she truly smashed with most of them.

Rihanna was a beast with most of her hits being played and charting for months. I heard “Pon The Replay”, “S.O.S”, “Umbrella”, “Don’t Stop The Music”, “Rude Boy”, “Only Girl”, “S&M”, “Love The Way You Lie”, “We Found Love”, “Diamonds”, “Stay”, “FourFiveSeconds”, “Work”, “This Is What You Came For”, etc, etc smashing for MONTHS

Comment

• I know the peak isn't everything, but we can check the stats of individual girls (first studio album after 10 years of career)

1. Gaga, Chromatica 32 top 10
                                            2. Taylor, Reputation 30
                                            3. Rihanna, Anti, 29
                                            4. Beyonce, Beyoncé 26
                                            5. Christina, Bionic 24
                                            6. Britney, Circus 24
                                            7. Pink, The Truth About Love, 24
                                            8. Shakira, Shakira 20
                                            9. Madonna, Bedtime Stories, 19
                                            10. Celine, A New Day Has Come 19
                                            11. Alanis, Under Rug Swept 18
                                            12. Janet, janet. 16
                                            13. Katy, Smile 16
                                            14. Whitney, My Love Is Your Love 14
                                            15.Miley, Younger Now 14
                                            16. Avril, Avril Lavigne 14
                                            17. Alicia, Girl on Fire 8
                                            18. Shania, Now 8
                                            19. Kelly, Piece by Piece 6
                                            20. Nelly, The Spirit Indestructible 4
                                            21. Kylie, Light Years 4
                                            22. Gwen, This Is What the Truth Feels Like 4
                                            23. Mariah, Charmbracelet 3
                                            24. Toni B, Libra 1
                                            26. Monica, The Makings of Me 1
                                            27. Brandy, Afrodisiac 1
                                            28. Kesha, High Road 1
                                            29. Mary J. Blige, The London Sessions 1
                                            30. Fegie, Double Dutchess 0

I don't add older stars (e.g. Cher / Barbra) because they have 0 - but you can understand that because there were fewer charts then.
                                            Which of the new girls after 10 years of career will have as many top 10 as Gaga and how many as Fergie?
                                            Where will be Dua, Selena, Ariana, Halsey, Camila, Meghan T, Nicki, Cardi, Lizzo, Billie, Demi?
                                            Last edited by likeidogoldlink; Wed October 28, 2020, 20:47.

Comment

• Well Madonna sold millions more albums than Rihanna. So fixating on singles ( in the digital and streaming eras) doesn't make her bigger.
                                              Overall, in the grand scheme of things, Madonna was far bigger than Rihanna. And still outsold her. Wanna add touring into the mix ?

Comment

• Originally posted by likeidogoldlink View Post
                                                I know the peak isn't everything, but we can check the stats of individual girls (first studio album after 10 years of career)

1. Gaga, Chromatica 32 top 10
                                                2. Taylor, Reputation 30
                                                3. Rihanna, Anti, 29
                                                4. Beyonce, Beyoncé 26
                                                5. Christina, Bionic 24
                                                6. Britney, Circus 24
                                                7. Pink, The Truth About Love, 24
                                                8. Shakira, Shakira 20
                                                9. Madonna, Bedtime Stories, 19
                                                10. Celine, A New Day Has Come 19
                                                11. Alanis, Under Rug Swept 18
                                                12. Janet, janet. 16
                                                13. Katy, Smile 16
                                                14. Whitney, My Love Is Your Love 14
                                                15.Miley, Younger Now 14
                                                16. Avril, Avril Lavigne 14
                                                17. Alicia, Girl on Fire 8
                                                18. Shania, Now 8
                                                19. Kelly, Piece by Piece 6
                                                20. Nelly, The Spirit Indestructible 4
                                                21. Kylie, Light Years 4
                                                22. Gwen, This Is What the Truth Feels Like 4
                                                23. Mariah, Charmbracelet 3
                                                24. Toni B, Libra 1
                                                26. Monica, The Makings of Me 1
                                                27. Brandy, Afrodisiac 1
                                                28. Kesha, High Road 1
                                                29. Mary J. Blige, The London Sessions 1
                                                30. Fegie, Double Dutchess 0

I don't add older stars (e.g. Cher / Barbra) because they have 0 - but you can understand that because there were fewer charts then.
                                                Which of the new girls after 10 years of career will have as many top 10 as Gaga and how many as Fergie?
                                                Where will be Dua, Selena, Ariana, Halsey, Camila, Meghan T, Nicki, Cardi, Lizzo, Billie, Demi?
                                                Is this based on singles or what?

Why “Circus” and not “Femme Fatale”? ... FF the album went Top 10 in 28 different countries and it’s singles combined were responsible for over 60 Top 10 entries around the world.

Even “Glory” went Top 10 in 27 countries.

”Circus” was released in December (most competitive and busiest month for charts).

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                                                  Well Madonna sold millions more albums than Rihanna. So fixating on singles ( in the digital and streaming eras) doesn't make her bigger.
                                                  Overall, in the grand scheme of things, Madonna was far bigger than Rihanna. And still outsold her. Wanna add touring into the mix ?
                                                  If digital singles are not comparable to old physical singles like you claim .. then 80s and 90s album sales are not comparable to album sales from Rihanna’s time either.

and no one said Rihanna was bigger than Madonna. Her hits were just bigger.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

Is this based on singles or what?

Why “Circus” and not “Femme Fatale”? ... FF the album went Top 10 in 28 different countries and it’s singles combined were responsible for over 60 Top 10 entries around the world.

Even “Glory” went Top 10 in 27 countries.

”Circus” was released in December (most competitive and busiest month for charts).
                                                    (first studio album after 10 years of career) If it bothers you so much, you can turn Circus into FF, whatever.
                                                    But that a bomb like Bionic had so many top 10s, I'm impressed.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X