Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

Beyonces sales and Destinys child sales are not combined for the purpose of collating her sales as a solo artist.
    Destinys Child are a female group, Beyonce is a solo performer, two seperate entities.
    Even as a solo she sold over 170million singles. Other than Rihanna and probably Taylor Swift no one sold as many singles as Bey
    Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
    Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

Even as a solo she sold over 170million singles. Other than Rihanna and probably Taylor Swift no one sold as many singles as Bey

Yet only one woman has three DIAMOND certified singles to this day - Miss Katy Perry, namely Firework, Roar and Dark Horse.

Comment

Yet only one woman has three DIAMOND certified singles to this day - Miss Katy Perry, namely Firework, Roar and Dark Horse.
        Diamond singles to 4 week chart runs

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaronsmithjune1 View Post

I think it had 8 in Australia

Comment

LOL

... You provide tea.
            Last edited by MrLeonix; Thu October 29, 2020, 06:23.
            Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
            Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

98 - OUT

Comment

• The delusions i've read on previous pages

The last i've read Madonna had 38 top 10 hits in US and 64 in UK. She could've had much more if US radios supported her more. All her hits are solo (except Britney one that no one remembers). Her hits were huge, much bigger than anything Beyoncé and Rihanna released, they were released in a time where internet didn't exist and people had to rush to record store to buy CDs. Just because her streaming isn't big as younger artists doesn't mean her hits were small. Call me when Rihanna or Beyoncé score a global #1 single when they are 48 years old, or they have a 30 million selling album or a $400m grossing tour.

I love both women and find them extremely successful but let's not downplay Madonna's success. 40 years on and she can still score #1 albums everywhere.
                Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• And it was incredible in the 90's when all Big 5 ladies slayed. Madonna, Mariah, Whitney, Céline and Janet were huge. Those women managed to sold millions of albums, that's why they are still respected after 30 or more years in the business. I mean they consider a song that enters hot 100 a hit these days, which would make Nicki Minaj and Taylor Swift the biggest hitmakers of all time with over 100 entries each.
                  Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• At the end of the day, it's wrong to compare different eras cause the measure of success changes and evolves. Back in the day, selling physical albums were more important so acts like Britney, No Doubt, etc. could've scored more hits if physical singles were released but their labels preferred to sell albums so some of their biggest hits remained radio-only singles. These days, streaming and touring is all that matters, especially touring since that's where money is at and most artists release albums as an excuse to tour.
                    Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

BTW .. on top of being such incredible hitmaker Rihanna seems to be the only diva who is openly liked among the straight male audience without feeling guilt or shame. For over 10 years Rihanna has been the only diva I’ve heard among straight guys saying they love her music (and her) and being totally ok with it. Basically nearly everyone I know no matter the gender (and yes, straight guys included) bops to her songs.

Every single diva out there is either a big turn-off, a guilty pleasure or a taboo for the straight male listeners and Rihanna is the only and sole exception to that. Queen!
                      I would agree that popstars like Britney, Kylie, Cher, Katy, Gaga can be considered a guilty pleasure or a taboo for the straight male listeners. They perform simple, catchy and dance music. I don't want to play stereotypes, but most gays prefer that kind of music. But it depends on the person, because I know homosexual people who listen to metal. Of course, almost every (male/female) singer has a song or album that is "gay".
                      Xtina / Nathy Peluso / Rosalía / Nina Simone / Lauren Hill

Comment

Saying Rihanna benefited from the digital era but not wanting to admit madonna benefited from the physical era. What's wrong with y'all? Selling 250 million singles is not easy. Lol
                        That's absolutely phenomenal... however, many people equate that to those who sold 200 million albums... which is also phenomenal and in fact incomparable because of how consumption worked back in the day and what you had to do in order to get a physical product. That's the original point.

Madonna - btw - has sold 120 million singles over her career (including digital tracks), however, none of the current girls have sold 100 million albums (including digital AND streaming).

My Chart

Comment

R9 lead will tie.

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                            And it was incredible in the 90's when all Big 5 ladies slayed. Madonna, Mariah, Whitney, Céline and Janet were huge. Those women managed to sold millions of albums, that's why they are still respected after 30 or more years in the business. I mean they consider a song that enters hot 100 a hit these days, which would make Nicki Minaj and Taylor Swift the biggest hitmakers of all time with over 100 entries each.
                            they've also stayed popular for more than 1-2 albums. That's also pretty impossible these days.

Imagine them struggling during album era #4... lol. They were successful for a long time. (multiple presidents).

Madonna was hugely popular during:
                            Reagan
                            Bush Sr
                            Clinton
                            Bush Jr.
                            and Obama

Streisand even:
                            Kennedy
                            Johnson
                            Nixon
                            Ford
                            Carter
                            Reagan
                            Bush
                            Clinton
                            Bush
                            Obama

Insane success & insane longevity. Not everybody has that to their credit.
                            My Chart

Comment

• Listening to new Roisin Murphy album, we are truly fed this year. So many great albums released already and i'm looking forward to hear Sam Smith, Kylie Minogue, Little Mix and Paloma Faith soon. I'm not excited for Ariana album anymore.

As for unannounced albums, Adele, Rihanna and Beyoncé albums are the ones i'm looking forward to.
                              Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Well, no one is saying Rihanna is bigger overall, just HER SINGLES , she slayed that department like no one before.

Yes of course Madonna has a lot of Top 10 hits but not every Top 10 hit she got was a “Vogue” or a “Hung Up” level hit.

The thing with Rihanna is that I don’t think there’s any other female having so many (quantity) mega-smash singles.

Madonna has LOTs of Top 10 entries but Mega-smashes like “La Isla Bonita”, “Vogue”, “Like A Prayer”, “Hung Up”, etc were singles that she would pull from time to time and for the minority of her singles discography ... Rihanna on the other hand has like 20 “Hung Up / Vogue - Level” smashes ... Imagine having 20 freaking Hung Ups in your discography. (Sometimes even multiple of those per year).

Giving credit to Rih for her singles success is nothing wrong. There’s place for more people to slay, break records and smash hard.

Comment

Btw .. even though “Umbrella” was Rihanna’s major breakthrough single those couple early cheap hits she had (“Pon The Replay” and “S.O.S”) were still pretty big over here.

“Pon The Replay” was a club and radio hit and I heard it for months and for the most part of 2005 actually, “S.O.S” was big here and then she released “Umbrella” and became unstoppable.

The Rihanna singles I heard on radio and everywhere smashing for months and months were:

- Pon The Replay
                                  - S.O.S
                                  - Umbrella
                                  - Hate That I Love You
                                  - Don’t Stop The Music
                                  - Take A Bow
                                  - Live Your Life
                                  - Rude Boy
                                  - Love The Way You Lie
                                  - Only Girl (In The World)
                                  - S&M
                                  - We Found Love
                                  - Where Have You Been
                                  - Diamonds
                                  - Stay
                                  - FourFiveSeconds
                                  - The Monster
                                  - Work
                                  - This Is What You Came For
                                  - Wild Thoughts

Those are 20 singles I heard smashing. Imagine having at least 20 songs on that level with such longevity and smashing hard for months
                                  Thinking that each of these 20 songs were on the level of Madonnas Vogue or Like a prayer is super delusional. You are trying to claim that Take a Bow and Live your life for example were monster smashes lol. Minor hits at best. Other tracks were hits but not monster hits. Just because you heard it in the "clubs" does not mean it was a monster hit. Plus two of her monster hits were collabs with Eminem.

Actual mosters hits in red.

Madonna has - Like a Virgin, Into the Groove, Crazy for you, Papa Don't Preach, Ls isla bonita, True Blue, Like a Prayer, Vogue, Frozen, American Pie, Music, Hung up, 4 minutes.

Comment

• Signature update.

Welcome Rihanna, Nine Inch Nails and Iron Maiden to my signature

Comment

Madonna has - Like a Virgin, Into the Groove, Crazy for you, Papa Don't Preach, Ls isla bonita, True Blue, Like a Prayer, Vogue, Frozen, American Pie, Music, Hung up, 4 minutes.

Imagine thinking that “American Pie” was at Vogue’s level ... I mean it was a hit for sure but LOL

BTW you forgot to put “Work”, “This Is What You came For” and “Stay” in red ... those songs smashed for an entire year at least

Comment

Imagine thinking that “American Pie” was at Vogue’s level ... I mean it was a hit sure but LOL

BTW you forgot to put “Work”, “This Is What You came For” and “Stay” in red ... those songs smashed for an entire year at least
                                        American Pie was number one in 7 countries. Not many of Rihanna's singles have that to their credit.

And no, they didn't.

Comment

• Let's not forget about:

Holiday
                                          Borderline
                                          Material Girl
                                          Dress You Up
                                          Live To Tell
                                          Open Your Heart
                                          Who's That Girl
                                          Express Yourself
                                          Justify My Love
                                          Take A Bow
                                          Don't Cry For Me Argentina
                                          Beautiful Stranger

But I love Rihanna too. Though I know more straight guys loving Madonna than Rihanna.
                                          Still, it is always great to hear Only Girl In The World in the gay clubs.
                                          My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

American Pie was number one in 7 countries. Not many of Rihanna's singles have that to their credit.

And no, they didn't.
                                            Peaks? What about chart-runs? ... “American Pie” was a good hit but not a “We Found Love” .. just stop it ... and going by peaks “Work” was number 1 in 12 countries and you didn’t put it in red

Madonna has MANY hit songs ... But global monster-level / mega ultra smash for months status these are the ones IMO:

- Like A Virgin
                                            - Into The Groove
                                            - Papa Don’t Preach
                                            - La Isla Bonita
                                            - Like A Prayer
                                            - Vogue
                                            - Music
                                            - Hung Up
                                            - 4 Minutes

.. She has many more big and popular hits but those ones are her “Monster hits” ....

Comment

Peaks? What about chart-runs? ... “American Pie” was a good hit but not a “We Found Love” .. just stop it ... and going by peaks “Work” was number 1 in 12 countries and you didn’t put it in red

Madonna has MANY hit songs ... But global monster-level / mega ultra smash for months status these are the ones IMO:

- Like A Virgin
                                              - Into The Groove
                                              - Papa Don’t Preach
                                              - La Isla Bonita
                                              - Like A Prayer
                                              - Vogue
                                              - Music
                                              - Hung Up
                                              - 4 Minutes

.. She has many more big and popular hits but those ones are her “Monster hits” ....
                                              And half of your list for Rihanna were NOT monster hits either so take a seat. Live your life ? PLEASE. You think Live your life was on the Level of Vogue. Anyone leaving out Frozen for Madonna is delusional. IT was her comeback song and was massive for months.

Comment

And half of your list for Rihanna were NOT monster hits either so take a seat. Live your life ? PLEASE. You think Live your life was on the Level of Vogue. Anyone leaving out Frozen for Madonna is delusional. IT was her comeback song and was massive for months.
                                                “Live Your Life” smashed harder than “American Pie” for sure ....

And “Frozen” was a great hit, but nope, it wasn’t a “Like A Prayer” or a “We Found Love”.

Comment

• Cheers to likeidogoldlink for pushing me to Diamond status . Let's celebrate that by listening to that monster hit by Miss Fenty

Not me and Legend Houston being certified Diamond the same week
                                                  Last edited by InFamous; Thu October 29, 2020, 19:15.

Comment

• Listened to Chloe & Halle's album Ungodly Hour and what a nice discovery it was. They are a very promising group. Hope more people will discover them.
                                                    Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Working...
                                                    X