Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • So many of Madonna's songs were monster hits. They may not have charted as long as songs of the streaming era, but that's logical. People kept on playing the songs, radio kept on playing the songs, but you would only buy it once and those charts back in the day were sales charts.
    My Instagram... - Click here

    Comment


    • Why do people keep on mentioning the streaming era when 95% of Rihanna’s singles were released before the streaming era?

      It’s not like people were buying the single 40 times on iTunes. Most people would buy it once, charts were also based on pure sales during the digital era and Rihanna’s songs were smashing for months because radio and everyone kept on playing them over and over for months.

      Her songs were everywhere for long time. I swear I heard “We Found Love” smashing for probably a year straight on radio, clubs, public places, tv, etc .. that song smashed for basically the entire year (at least over here). And I don’t know about Europe but her song “Work” smashed like if there was no tomorrow here too, that song was played NON-stop for MONTHS (probably also the entire 2016 year) over here.

      She was a monster hitmaker.
      Last edited by MrLeonix; Thu October 29, 2020, 21:58.
      Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
      Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

      Comment


      • Just cos something is played a lot on radio doesn't make it a monster hit.
        In that case I could call Pinks Walk me home a monster hit because I heard it every day at least three times for at least six months, and I rarely listen to the radio.
        Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
        Pronouns: He / Him

        Comment


        • Originally posted by InFamous View Post
          Just cos something is played a lot on radio doesn't make it a monster hit.
          In that case I could call Pinks Walk me home a monster hit because I heard it every day at least three times for at least six months, and I rarely listen to the radio.
          But Rihanna’s songs were not just being played on the radio, they were also charting in the Top 10 for months in every country around the world

          Let’s be real, her songs got played like crazy, sold great, charted remarkably and eventually became recurrent streaming staples too. Basically a slay in every aspect.
          Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
          Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

          Comment


          • Originally posted by RayRay View Post
            So many of Madonna's songs were monster hits. They may not have charted as long as songs of the streaming era, but that's logical. People kept on playing the songs, radio kept on playing the songs, but you would only buy it once and those charts back in the day were sales charts.
            true. also... Madonna has HUGE recurrent plays on radio. I catch one of her fine 80s evergreen on the radio on the daily basis.
            My Chart

            Comment


            • Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

              But Rihanna’s songs were not just being played on the radio, they were also charting in the Top 10 for months in every country around the world

              Let’s be real, her songs got played like crazy, sold great, charted remarkably and eventually became recurrent streaming staples too. Basically a slay in every aspect.
              I dunno, I think most of those songs are forgotten these days. Will we be really hearing those songs in 20 years time ? I doubt it.
              Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
              Pronouns: He / Him

              Comment


              • Originally posted by InFamous View Post

                I dunno, I think most of those songs are forgotten these days. Will we be really hearing those songs in 20 years time ? I doubt it.
                That’s a different topic. We were discussing hit songs, not classic songs.

                And ... even several of Madonna’s HUGE hits are forgotten these days like the “Music” (song) for example which only has tragic 38million streams on Spotify ... basically no one checks that song out these days but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t a groundbreaking hit when it came out right?

                Anyways .. Rihanna’s “Umbrella”, “Don’t Stop The Music”, “Only Girl (In The World)”, “Love The Way You Lie”, “We Found Love” and “Diamonds” are songs that will be classics. I still hear them up regularly and people are still streaming them in 2020 (and they will still be doing it 10 years from now on too)
                Last edited by MrLeonix; Thu October 29, 2020, 23:34.
                Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

                Comment


                • Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                  Listened to Chloe & Halle's album Ungodly Hour and what a nice discovery it was. They are a very promising group. Hope more people will discover them.
                  That's probably my favorite album released this year.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                    American Pie was number one in 7 countries. Not many of Rihanna's singles have that to their credit.
                    Pon De Replay: 1
                    SOS: 2
                    Unfaithful: 2
                    Umbrella: 11
                    Don't Stop The Music: 8
                    Take A Bow: 5
                    Disturbia: 3
                    Live Your Life: 1
                    Run This Town: 1
                    Russian Roulette: 2
                    Rude Boy: 2
                    Love The Way You Lie: 16
                    Only Girl: 10
                    What's My Name: 2
                    Who's That Chick: 1
                    S&M: 7
                    Man Down: 1
                    We Found Love: 13
                    Diamonds: 10
                    Stay: 2
                    The Monster: 12
                    FourFiveSeconds: 6
                    Work: 5
                    This Is What You Came For: 3
                    Wild Thoughts: 1

                    I only have data from 18 countries with official charts though (US, UK, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Italy, Spain, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and Ireland).

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

                      That’s a different topic. We were discussing hit songs, not classic songs.

                      And ... even several of Madonna’s HUGE hits are forgotten these days like the “Music” (song) for example which only has tragic 38million streams on Spotify ... basically no one checks that song out these days but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t a groundbreaking hit when it came out right?

                      Anyways .. Rihanna’s “Umbrella”, “Don’t Stop The Music”, “Only Girl (In The World)”, “Love The Way You Lie”, “We Found Love” and “Diamonds” are songs that will be classics. I still hear them up regularly and people are still streaming them in 2020 (and they will still be doing it 10 years from now on too)
                      It was you who mentioned recurrent.

                      And don't forget you told me more than once that the digital era was the easiest to sell singles anyway. People dont need to stream Madonna, they listen to her Greatest Hits Collection on CD. Same with Whitney Houston, her essential collection was in the top 40 in the UK again recently and has been charting since 2007.
                      Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                      Pronouns: He / Him

                      Comment


                      • Global classics: Umbrella, Don't Stop The Music, We Found Love, Diamonds
                        + Regional classics: Unfaithful, Take A Bow, Man Down
                        + Club classics: Pon De Replay, Only Girl, Work
                        + Future classics: LOTB, BBHMM

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Rihab View Post

                          Pon De Replay: 1
                          SOS: 2
                          Unfaithful: 2
                          Umbrella: 11
                          Don't Stop The Music: 8

                          Take A Bow: 5
                          Disturbia: 3
                          Live Your Life: 1
                          Run This Town: 1
                          Russian Roulette: 2
                          Rude Boy: 2
                          Love The Way You Lie: 16
                          Only Girl: 10
                          What's My Name: 2
                          Who's That Chick: 1
                          S&M: 7
                          Man Down: 1
                          We Found Love: 13
                          Diamonds: 10

                          Stay: 2
                          The Monster: 12
                          FourFiveSeconds: 6
                          Work: 5
                          This Is What You Came For: 3
                          Wild Thoughts: 1

                          I only have data from 18 countries with official charts though (US, UK, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Italy, Spain, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and Ireland).
                          But that list just shows that Rihanna has had a handful of monster global worldwide hits and then songs which were just big hits. Which is what I said from the start
                          She certainly doesnt have 20 global monsters, as was erroneously claimed.
                          I mean surely, you, as a reasonable grounded person can recognize the difference between Umbrella ( monster) and Live your life ( cute hit).
                          Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                          Pronouns: He / Him

                          Comment


                          • A timely reminder that Miss Katy Perry was the number one digital artist in the US having broken the Guinness world record:

                            Biggest Selling Digital Artist (US)
                            Nothing screams One of the Boys than having seven multi-platinum records in the span of just five years. From 2008 to 2013, Katy’s singles such as “Hot n Cold” and “Dark Horse” sold like hot cakes, making her a master in the Recording Industry Association of America’s (RIAA) “Gold & Platinum Program”.

                            In 2014 in the US, the singer had officially sold 72 million digital singles, beating Rihanna by more than 20 million. That’s sure is one way get the world “Wide Awake” about her music.



                            She in fact , broke Rihannas previously held record from 2012.

                            "In 2012, Rihanna became the best-selling digital artist in the US, selling (at the time) 47.57 million digital tracks during her career."
                            Last edited by InFamous; Fri October 30, 2020, 00:13.
                            Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                            Pronouns: He / Him

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by InFamous View Post

                              But that list just shows that Rihanna has had a handful of monster global worldwide hits and then songs which were just big hits. Which is what I said from the start
                              She certainly doesnt have 20 global monsters, as was erroneously claimed.
                              I mean surely, you, as a reasonable grounded person can recognize the difference between Umbrella ( monster) and Live your life ( cute hit).
                              “Live Your Life” has 5x Platinum certifications in USA and 1x Platinum in UK for over 600K.

                              But somehow I agree .. Rihanna is so massive and in her own league that a 5x Platinum hit would be a “cute hit” in her catalogue
                              Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                              Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                                A timely reminder that Miss Katy Perry was the number one digital artist in the US having broken the Guinness world record:

                                Biggest Selling Digital Artist (US)
                                Nothing screams One of the Boys than having seven multi-platinum records in the span of just five years. From 2008 to 2013, Katy’s singles such as “Hot n Cold” and “Dark Horse” sold like hot cakes, making her a master in the Recording Industry Association of America’s (RIAA) “Gold & Platinum Program”.

                                In 2014 in the US, the singer had officially sold 72 million digital singles, beating Rihanna by more than 20 million. That’s sure is one way get the world “Wide Awake” about her music.



                                She in fact , broke Rihannas previously held record from 2012.

                                "In 2012, Rihanna became the best-selling digital artist in the US, selling (at the time) 47.57 million digital tracks during her career."
                                That’s just US (one market) ... Rihanna is a global star.
                                Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                                Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

                                  “Live Your Life” has 5x Platinum certifications in USA and 1x Platinum in UK for over 600K.

                                  But somehow I agree .. Rihanna is so massive and in her own league that a 5x Platinum hit would be a “cute hit” in her catalogue
                                  3 million actually.



                                  Decent numbers in two territories does not a global hit make.
                                  Last edited by InFamous; Fri October 30, 2020, 00:26.
                                  Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                  Pronouns: He / Him

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by InFamous View Post



                                    Decent numbers in two territories does not a global hit make.
                                    “American Pie” the song you claimed was a mega monster smash was a non-factor flop all over The Americas
                                    Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                                    Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by InFamous View Post

                                      3 million actually.
                                      3 million what? ... “Live Your Life” sold 4,7 million copies through soundscan (pure sales) and that was in the US alone.

                                      source: https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...g-songs-albums
                                      Last edited by MrLeonix; Fri October 30, 2020, 00:36.
                                      Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                                      Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

                                        That’s just US (one market) ... Rihanna is a global star.
                                        It says ( US) in brackets.
                                        Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                        Pronouns: He / Him

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by InFamous View Post

                                          It says ( US) in brackets.
                                          Rihanna = 250 million singles sold worldwide
                                          Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                                          Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

                                          Comment


                                          • Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

                                            3 million what? ... “Live Your Life” sold 4,7 million copies through soundscan (pure sales) and that was in the US alone.

                                            source: https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...g-songs-albums
                                            RIAA have it certified for 3 million, not 5 as you originally claimed.
                                            Soundscan and RIAA are different organizations, maybe you got mixed up.
                                            Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                            Pronouns: He / Him

                                            Comment


                                            • Originally posted by InFamous View Post

                                              RIAA have it certified for 3 million, not 5 as you originally claimed.
                                              Soundscan and RIAA are different organizations, maybe you got mixed up.
                                              Actually it’s neither certified for 3 million or 5 million. I checked and it’s certified 4x Platinum:

                                              It has a 3x Platinum certification for 3 million digital sigles and it has a separate 1x Platinum certification for 1 million mastertones (they count as recognized actual single sales for the IFPI organization).

                                              So 4 million units (pure sales) certified in USA alone.

                                              Sales-wise, it sold 4,7 million through soundscan (so the song it’s uncertified) plus 1 million mastertones gives a total of 5,7 million units (pure sales) in USA alone.

                                              adding streaming it’s probably eligible for 6x Platinum these days.
                                              Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                                              Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

                                              Comment


                                              • Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

                                                Actually it’s neither certified for 3 million or 5 million. I checked and it’s certified 4x Platinum:

                                                It has a 3x Platinum certification for 3 million digital sigles and it has a separate 1x Platinum certification for 1 million mastertones (they count as recognized actual single sales for the IFPI organization).

                                                So 4 million units (pure sales) certified in USA alone.

                                                Sales-wise, it sold 4,7 million through soundscan (so the song it’s uncertified) plus 1 million mastertones gives a total of 5,7 million units (pure sales) in USA alone.

                                                adding streaming it’s probably eligible for 6x Platinum these days.
                                                Actually incorrect again.
                                                There are two seperate and distinct certifications for the track. The 3 million is attributed to T.I only while the 1 million ringtones are attributed to T.I feat Rihanna.

                                                And, according to you, whats written on the RIAA website is all that matters and is gospel. So you cannot combine two seperate and clearly distinct certifications.

                                                In summary your claim that the song was certified 5 times platinum was incorrect. Until it is recertified to a higher level its all just guesswork on your part.

                                                Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                                Pronouns: He / Him

                                                Comment


                                                • I'm not sure why we're fighting over LYL when Rih had like 30 bigger hits worldwide.

                                                  Madge classics:

                                                  1.) Like A Prayer
                                                  2.) Like A Virgin
                                                  3.) Material Girl
                                                  4.) La Isla Bonita
                                                  5.) Hung Up
                                                  6.) Vogue

                                                  Comment


                                                  • Originally posted by Rihab View Post
                                                    I'm not sure why we're fighting over LYL when Rih had like 30 bigger hits worldwide.

                                                    Madge classics:

                                                    1.) Like A Prayer
                                                    2.) Like A Virgin
                                                    3.) Material Girl
                                                    4.) La Isla Bonita
                                                    5.) Hung Up
                                                    6.) Vogue
                                                    It was claimed that Live Your Life was a Vogue level smash
                                                    Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                                    Pronouns: He / Him

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X