Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by InFamous View Post
    And, according to you, whats written on the RIAA website is all that matters and is gospel. So you cannot combine two seperate and clearly distinct certifications.
    Exactly and the SONG “Live Your Life” has certifications recognizing 4 million units (pure sales) in USA.

    And according to soundscan the song sold over 4,7 million units , that’s the official number of the song’s actual sales anyways.
    Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
    Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Rihab View Post
      Global classics: Umbrella, Don't Stop The Music, We Found Love, Diamonds
      I completely agree with this.

      Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
      Pronouns: He / Him

      Comment


      • Taylor Swift's current digital certifications 134 platinum vs Rihanna's 129 platinum. And let's not talk about album sales

        Rihanna is the hitmaker of the generation, nobody is doubting her. But to compare her with Madonna and saying she has more hit singles than her is delusional at best. Records are meant to be broken and if she'll continue to be as successful as she was, she'll be the best selling female artist of all time. Madonna holding that title for more than 30 years is enough for me. Rihanna should book stadiums for her next tour though, with so many hits under her belt and the demand must be at an all time high.

        PS Love On The Brain is actually a Rihanna classic in my opinion. It'll be one of her legacy hits which will be sung by many hopefuls in auditions and performances for singing competitions.
        Cha Cha Instructor

        Comment


        • Again USA is one country .. Taylor Swift has 134 Platinum certifications in that country but nowhere close to Rihanna’s certs ANYWHERE else. So overall / worldwide Rihanna’s singles sales, certifications and chart-runs are ahead of any other female.

          IMO Madonna will hold the best selling female artist record forever because pure sales are dead now so no one will sell anything anymore. However I do think Celine, Beyoncé and Taylor will eventually her as the biggest female touring acts.
          Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
          Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

          Comment


          • Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
            Taylor Swift's current digital certifications 134 platinum vs Rihanna's 129 platinum. And let's not talk about album sales

            Rihanna is the hitmaker of the generation, nobody is doubting her. But to compare her with Madonna and saying she has more hit singles than her is delusional at best. Records are meant to be broken and if she'll continue to be as successful as she was, she'll be the best selling female artist of all time. Madonna holding that title for more than 30 years is enough for me. Rihanna should book stadiums for her next tour though, with so many hits under her belt and the demand must be at an all time high.

            PS Love On The Brain is actually a Rihanna classic in my opinion. It'll be one of her legacy hits which will be sung by many hopefuls in auditions and performances for singing competitions.
            Rihannas touring stats are very poor for such a bonafide hitmaker. Really the songs were bigger than her in a lot of ways. Touring has never been her forte or draw really. And yes I agree on LOTB, amazing track.
            Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
            Pronouns: He / Him

            Comment


            • Yeah, her touring stats are disappointing. She's nowhere near the level of Pink, Beyoncé or Taylor Swift. She should book stadiums for her next tour though, she should be selling out easily since she has so many hits.
              Cha Cha Instructor

              Comment


              • Originally posted by InFamous View Post

                Rihannas touring stats are very poor for such a bonafide hitmaker. Really the songs were bigger than her in a lot of ways. Touring has never been her forte or draw really. And yes I agree on LOTB, amazing track.
                Rihanna is actually one of the 10 biggest female touring acts of all time with nearly $400 million in grossing

                1. Madonna
                2. Celine Dion
                3. Beyoncé
                4. Taylor Swift
                5. P!nk
                6. Lady Gaga
                7. Cher
                8. Britney Spears
                9. Tina Turner
                10. Rihanna

                She surpassed Whitney
                Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

                Comment


                • Great year for The Voice, Mother Whitney.

                  -I Will Always Love You passed 1 billion on YouTube
                  -Higher Love tied her with Madonna for having a video on YouTube pass 100 million views for the last 4 decades.
                  -Earned her 3rd Diamond album. Only the 2nd female and first Black artist to achieve this feat.
                  Diva!!!

                  Comment


                  • ^^ Impressive, although I am sure Whitney has millions of dollars in unreported tour revenue. For the BG tour alone, only the North American leg was reported so very incomplete data.
                    Last edited by InFamous; Fri October 30, 2020, 01:40.
                    Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                    Pronouns: He / Him

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by TIfan View Post
                      Great year for The Voice, Mother Whitney.

                      -I Will Always Love You passed 1 billion on YouTube
                      -Higher Love tied her with Madonna for having a video on YouTube pass 100 million views for the last 4 decades.
                      -Earned her 3rd Diamond album. Only the 2nd female and first Black artist to achieve this feat.
                      Plus she was inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame this year too
                      Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                      Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                        Yeah, her touring stats are disappointing. She's nowhere near the level of Pink, Beyoncé or Taylor Swift. She should book stadiums for her next tour though, she should be selling out easily since she has so many hits.
                        Rihanna's music does not translate particularly well live in a concert setting, especially in a stadium. And she is quite a lazy performer. I saw some of the Anti tour and it wasn't that great, she just lets backtracks run in the background and sings here and there over them. She can be good in one off performances but she is not someone I would go to see on tour.
                        Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                        Pronouns: He / Him

                        Comment


                        • Rihanna is the only pop girl that can literally punch her own fans in the face during her concerts and still succeed



                          Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                          Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by InFamous View Post

                            Rihanna's music does not translate particularly well live in a concert setting, especially in a stadium. And she is quite a lazy performer. I saw some of the Anti tour and it wasn't that great, she just lets backtracks run in the background and sings here and there over them. She can be good in one off performances but she is not someone I would go to see on tour.
                            Same here. Beyoncé is the only performer besides Madonna that i would pay to see her live. I love lots of female artists but i don't have the desire to see 95 % of them live. But i would've loved to see Whitney live at her prime, i'm sure she was a fantastic performer.
                            Cha Cha Instructor

                            Comment


                            • I'm ready to be disappointed by Ariana album tomorrow. As for Sam Smith, i don't know what to expect, i liked most of the songs they released so far. Hope there are more bops than ballads on the album though.
                              Cha Cha Instructor

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                                I'm ready to be disappointed by Ariana album tomorrow. As for Sam Smith, i don't know what to expect, i liked most of the songs they released so far. Hope there are more bops than ballads on the album though.
                                It's good that Dua has released an album this year.

                                Because I don't think I liked any other album of popular artists. I am a fan of commercial flops.
                                Xtina / Nathy Peluso / Rosalía / Nina Simone / Lauren Hill

                                Comment


                                • I actually liked a lot of albums this year.

                                  5 Seconds Of Summer - Calm
                                  Alice Chater - Aries EP
                                  Alicia Keys - ALICIA
                                  Allie X - Cape God
                                  Ava Max - Heaven & Hell
                                  Chloe & Halle - Ungodly Hour
                                  Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia
                                  Ellie Goulding - Brightest Blue
                                  Fletcher - The S(EX) Tapes EP
                                  Halsey - Manic
                                  Jessie Ware - What's Your Pleasure?
                                  John Legend - Bigger Love
                                  Katy Perry - Smile
                                  Kesha - High Road
                                  Lady Gaga - Chromatica
                                  Lianne La Havas - Lianne La Havas
                                  Melanie C - Melanie C
                                  Niall Horan - Heartbreak Weather
                                  Norah Jones - Pick Me Up Off The Floor
                                  Selena Gomez - Rare
                                  Taylor Swift - Folklore
                                  Troye Sivan - In A Dream EP
                                  Victoria Monet - Jaguar

                                  Special mention goes to Harry Styles' Fine Line & The Weeknd's After Hours, which were released in late 2019.
                                  Cha Cha Instructor

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                                    I actually liked a lot of albums this year.

                                    5 Seconds Of Summer - Calm
                                    Alice Chater - Aries EP
                                    Alicia Keys - ALICIA
                                    Allie X - Cape God
                                    Ava Max - Heaven & Hell
                                    Chloe & Halle - Ungodly Hour
                                    Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia
                                    Ellie Goulding - Brightest Blue
                                    Fletcher - The S(EX) Tapes EP
                                    Halsey - Manic
                                    Jessie Ware - What's Your Pleasure?
                                    John Legend - Bigger Love
                                    Katy Perry - Smile
                                    Kesha - High Road
                                    Lady Gaga - Chromatica
                                    Lianne La Havas - Lianne La Havas
                                    Melanie C - Melanie C
                                    Niall Horan - Heartbreak Weather
                                    Norah Jones - Pick Me Up Off The Floor
                                    Selena Gomez - Rare
                                    Taylor Swift - Folklore
                                    Troye Sivan - In A Dream EP
                                    Victoria Monet - Jaguar

                                    Special mention goes to Harry Styles' Fine Line & The Weeknd's After Hours, which were released in late 2019.
                                    I like the marked ones.
                                    Except for Dua, Gaga, Taylor, Halsey, Ava and Selena - the rest are flops. And I wrote about popular artists.
                                    Xtina / Nathy Peluso / Rosalía / Nina Simone / Lauren Hill

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

                                      Plus she was inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame this year too
                                      How did I forgot that...

                                      Whitney did that!!!
                                      Diva!!!

                                      Comment


                                      • I honestly never heard a Halsey song on the radio. She is popular in the US, but in Europe I doubt it. 1 top 10 in Germany, 3 top 10 in UK. The rest probably looks the same.
                                        Xtina / Nathy Peluso / Rosalía / Nina Simone / Lauren Hill

                                        Comment


                                        • ^ What? Closer, Him & I, You should be sad, & Without Me were constantly played by radio stations here. Especially "Closer" to the point where it got extremely annoying.
                                          Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

                                          Comment


                                          • Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                                            I'm ready to be disappointed by Ariana album tomorrow. As for Sam Smith, i don't know what to expect, i liked most of the songs they released so far. Hope there are more bops than ballads on the album though.
                                            Ariana's album has ever so slowly been growing on me after about ten listens. But its completly non pop.
                                            Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                            Pronouns: He / Him

                                            Comment


                                            • Just back from a late night walk and listened to Sweetener album for the first time in ages. Really a chore to get through and so many just plain bad tracks or tracks that go nowhere.

                                              The Light is coming, Sweetener, Successful, REM, Borderline, Goodnight n Go, Pete Davidson, Get well soon - I would never actively seek out these tracks or care if i never heard them again.

                                              The rest is great though, some career highlights. Plus i love the intro.
                                              Last edited by InFamous; Fri October 30, 2020, 04:52.
                                              Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                              Pronouns: He / Him

                                              Comment


                                              • Booking 5 stadiums in Germany alone was definitely.. a choice.

                                                And all of those terrorist attacks that summer probably didn't help.
                                                Still sold 3 times as many tickets as Beyonce's and more than 6 times as many tickets as Tayloo's last solo tours here, so..

                                                Comment


                                                • Let's not forget Rihanna has 8 albums to madonna's 14

                                                  Comment


                                                  • Originally posted by Rihab View Post
                                                    Booking 5 stadiums in Germany alone was definitely.. a choice.

                                                    And all of those terrorist attacks that summer probably didn't help.
                                                    Still sold 3 times as many tickets as Beyonce's and more than 6 times as many tickets as Tayloo's last solo tours here, so..
                                                    The anti tour numbers came out? Beyonce definitely could've sold out Berlin, Hamburg & Munich if the dates was added. Lol

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X