Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aRat View Post
    Ukmix being hyped about the PCD comeback made me realise that Ukmixers will stan for anyone as long as they are long forgotten and shelved for at least a decade - even popstitutes. It doesn't have to be only bland ballad fads like I initially thot
    So many burnt mouths from this steaming tea... The PCD craze on UKmix is hilarious.
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

The Pussycat Dolls / Ms Scherzinger especially, are so talent-free that it hurts my soul that they were and still are in music kinda.
      My Chart

Comment

What we're not gonna do is act like the Snoop Dogg ft Melody's ad-libs remix of Buttons isn't still that song.
        late.

Comment

New La Roux songs bring back 80's and it's not bad. Not as good as her debut effort though.
          Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

I remember how PCD entered the mainstream music business back in the day. By the time they released 'Don't cha', they were 'just another urban US act'. Somewhere between 'Beep' and 'Buttons', they became the girlband of the moment and everyone and their mother talked about PCD and Nicole Scherzinger. The people loved that sound and of course the girls: Just like the Spice Girls or the No Angels, they had the major advantage that they looked differently (You had a redhead, two blondes, two brunettes and a woman of mixed descent.) and that they released a string of successful singles. Every girl wanted to be like them because they were sexy, yet emancipated. Every boy wished one of them was his girlfriend. That's basically what contributed to their success.
            Is it offensive to fall in love with you and everything you do
            and everything you stand for?
            Could I break through your invisible wall, could I hide my pride for once,
            just to tell you that I see more?

Comment

Pussycat Delusion is real. They were a fad, their names were unimportant and once the project of trying to make Nicole happen flopped, they went to irrelevancy where they belong.

Comment

I don’t have anything against them as they have some iconic bops but I just never understood how they were supposed to be a band when Nicole sang 98% of the vocals? For me they will always be Nicole Scherzinger and her dancers sorry.
                Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

Dua's song was my #1 song of the year but Taylor's Beautiful Ghosts dethroned it. I hope it'll be nominated (and win) for an Oscar.
                  Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by JeremySpears View Post
                    I don’t have anything against them as they have some iconic bops but I just never understood how they were supposed to be a band when Nicole sang 98% of the vocals? For me they will always be Nicole Scherzinger and her dancers sorry.
                    Everyone was aware that it was Nicole + the dancers, but Nicole Scherzinger's career never fully took off because one woman's stage presence was unable to compete with six women's. That's why most former band members struggle to live up to the brand they once used to be part of. Acts like Beyoncé, Robbie Williams or Michael Jackson are in the minority; and even then, what happened to Michelle Williams', Gary Barlow's or Jermaine Jackson's solo careers? An established and successful band, despite all the egos involved, needs to be preserved at all costs. If anything, have a little side project or have a solo album on your band's album.
                    Is it offensive to fall in love with you and everything you do
                    and everything you stand for?
                    Could I break through your invisible wall, could I hide my pride for once,
                    just to tell you that I see more?

Comment

• Originally posted by beredy View Post
                      Pussycat Delusion is real. They were a fad, their names were unimportant and once the project of trying to make Nicole happen flopped, they went to irrelevancy where they belong.
                      This might be a regional perception rather than a reality (either for me, or for you) - as in the UK, they had solid hits for 4 straight years across two successful eras. Sure, the Doll Domination era was not as big as the PCD era but as a girl group, they were running shoulder to shoulder with the likes of Girls Aloud, Sugababes and any other big girl group.

I guess their comeback will determine whether they were a fad or not, but I’ve seen loads of buzz about them on social media.

Comment

• Oh, they had hits. I won't deny that. (Even though all of their hits are too aggressive and annoying to me.) But I doubt the claims that girls in the group were (or are) household names like Sugababes of GA were (even though GA were mainly a UK act). Even Nicole who was the centerpiece of the group didn't grab people's attention as proven by her debacle of a solo career (and I'm thinking it's because she's not really likeable and people didn't care for her, just like they didn't really care about PCS girls overall) and her main point of fame is a decade year old talent show judge stint, and mainly in the UK where it kept her profile her and recognizable and is probably the reason why the PCD reunion focus is on the UK for now.

Comment

• Well, if you look at their stats, they're not massively out of kilter with some of the other big girl groups in the UK - had they continued on, they might've made up some lost ground (there's still time to add to the below for them).

Girls Aloud

• Actively releasing studio albums 2003-2008 (5 year period).
                          • Released 5 studio albums across 5 years, selling more than 2.7m copies in the UK.
                          • Had 22 top 20 singles (21 of which reached the top 10, 4 of which reached #1).

Pussycat Dolls

• Actively releasing studio albums across 2005-2008 (3 year period).
                          • Released 2 studio albums across 3 years, selling more than 1.5m copies in the UK.
                          • Had 10 top 20 singles (8 of which reached the top 10, 2 of which reached #1).

Sugababes

• Actively releasing studio albums across 2000-2010 (10 year period) - though I think they'd probably wantt to overlook the last 2 releases they put out!
                          • Released 7 studio albums across 10 years, selling more than 3.7m copies in the UK.
                          • Had 23 top 20 singles (18 of which reached the top 10, 6 of which reached #1).

Destiny's Child

• Actively releasing studio albums across 1998-2004 (6 year period).
                          • Released 4 studio albums across 6 years, selling more than 3.0m copies in the UK.
                          • Had 14 top 20 singles (12 of which reached the top 10, 2 of which reached #1).

Comment

• Those numbers don't tell the whole story. Out of those 1.5m albums sold, about 1.3m is for their debut album. Doll Domination was a total flop in comparison. They were one of those blink and you'll miss it "success" stories in pop history.

Also those numbers hardly speak to the fact that if you randomly picked people on the street hardly anyone would name any other PCD girl outside of Nicole (and she at least worked to keep her name in the public eye all these years) while you'd get a lot of names from the girls from other groups you named.

Comment

• K3 is the most hardworking girl group ever.

Original K3
                              • Actively releasing 13 studio albums across 1999-2013 (9 from them were # 1s in their home country)
                              • Had 29 top 20 singles in their home country (17 of which reached the top 10, 2 of which reached #1 in their home country).

New K3
                              • Actively releasing 5 studio albums in 5 years period (all 5 were # 1s in their home country)
                              Last edited by LastDreamer; Sat December 7, 2019, 19:29.
                              My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
                              In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

• "Buttons" is such a godly hymn tho. One of the finest pop songs ever.
                                COMMON LOVE ISN'T FOR US...

Comment

• The only PCD song I can remember is Buttons, and Jai ho. I never really liked Girls Aloud to be honest or the Sugababes.

Comment

• Originally posted by JeremySpears View Post
                                    Their live performances used to kill me watching the other four pretend to sing a harmony three or four times. I was always confused as to why they had mics!

Comment

• My favorite female band would be Little Mix, actually the first and so far only female I have ever been a fan of.
                                      I also dig some songs by the Sugababes and The Pussycat Dolls.

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post
                                        "Buttons" is such a godly hymn tho. One of the finest pop songs ever.
                                        they went downhill after overload. But they are one of the better ones. I never understood the UK's obsession with tacky girlgroups. Boybands are the real deal.
                                        My Chart

Comment

• I wouldn't say the Sugababes were tacky at all. At least not in the first 2 formations.
                                          "Lift up your head
                                          Lift up your heart..."

https://soundcloud.com/jaspervanbeve...orest-of-glass

Comment

• My favourite UK girl groups :
                                            1. Girls Aloud
                                            2. Shampoo
                                            3. Kenickie
                                            My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
                                            In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

• So Feminem opened his mouth again?
                                              Originally posted by beredy
                                              When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hejira View Post
                                                I wouldn't say the Sugababes were tacky at all. At least not in the first 2 formations.
                                                Absolutely, they were massively talented.

Heidi/Mutya/Keisha were my favourite of the various formations.

Comment

• Originally posted by LastDreamer View Post
                                                  K3 is the most hardworking girl group ever.

Original K3
                                                  • Actively releasing 13 studio albums across 1999-2013 (9 from them were # 1s in their home country)
                                                  • Had 29 top 20 singles in their home country (17 of which reached the top 10, 2 of which reached #1 in their home country).

New K3
                                                  • Actively releasing 5 studio albums in 5 years period (all 5 were # 1s in their home country)
                                                  Stan K3 <3
                                                  You drew stars around my scars

Comment

• Has anyone ever met a pop star?
                                                    See latest news on Reports, Infractions & Bans
                                                    See Mariah Carey's Memoir thread

Comment

• People critize certain artists for releasing the same stuff over and over again - but that new song by that Dua chick sounds like a leftover from her average debut album - I think she'll be suffering that sophomore slump.

Comment

• Originally posted by luckyONE View Post
                                                        People critize certain artists for releasing the same stuff over and over again - but that new song by that Dua chick sounds like a leftover from her average debut album - I think she'll be suffering that sophomore slump.
                                                        I haven't listened to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                                                          So Feminem opened his mouth again?

Comment

• why is Eminem so obsessed with the Queen of Music, MC?
                                                            My Chart

Comment

• `BTW the best ever girl group was Germany's Tic Tac Toe. They had them bops left right and centre.
                                                              My Chart

Comment

Working...
                                                              X