No announcement yet.

Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lol, I forgot about that performance. A performance from 2020. This is one of her best vocal ever. And I don't really troll, I think this performance is pure essence.

Xtina / Nathy Peluso / Rosalía / Nina Simone / Lauren Hill

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
      Blah blah blah... MJ Katy Rih Bey....

welcome to your new king...

this youtube video has passed Despacito to have the most views...
      But how many streams has it on Spotify ? That's the only thing that matters.
      Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
      Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post
        So, i heard someone say History was kind of MJ's commercial downfall?

It has still sold over 20 million units worldwide. In that respect it is on par with Whitney's 2nd album or Mariah's Daydream.

It also spawned two top 5 singles in the US (incl. one #1) and had countless of charts dominating hits in Europe.

To describe his commercial trajectory... there are not enough words... because he came from SUPERLATIVES down to BLOCKBUSTER levels. The only albun which "underperformed" during his lifetime was "Invincible" which still moved 6 million units pre-2009.

Even his 673rd compilation album in 2005 "Essential" became a million seller in the UK in real time.

As someone mentioned... his solo career started in the early 1970s... I'm not using it as an excuse for Invincible's performance... but nobody had his type longevity. Even today... apart from The Beatles (and still ahead of Elvis) is the highest selling dead-non-active music act in the world.
        No one said that.

I spoke about his US numbers from Dangerous to HiStory to Invincible, nothing more. Never said anything about its WW sales.

Comment

indeed.
          The Popstars longevity!

First Solo/Lead #1 hit vs Last Solo/Lead #1 hit:

Michael Jackson - 1972-1995 (23 years)
          Mariah Carey - 1990-2008 (18 years)
          Madonna - 1984-2000 (16 years)
          Janet Jackson - 1986-2001 (15 years)
          Beyoncé - 2003-2018 (15 years)
          Britney Spears - 1999-2011 (12 years)
          P!nk - 2001-2013 (12 years)
          Lady Gaga - 2008-2020 (12 years)
          Justin Timberlake - 2006-2016 (10 years)
          Rihanna - 2006-2016 (10 years)
          Taylor Swift - 2013-2020 (8 years)
          Katy Perry - 2008-2014 (6 years)
          Justin Bieber - 2015-2020 (5 years)
          Christina Aguilera - 1999-2001 (2 years)

Michael is just another league
          Last edited by MrLeonix; Mon November 2, 2020, 21:29.
          Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
          Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by likeidogoldlink View Post

This is from the guy who is a fan of the person who never gave the entire live concert. I have to laugh.

Btw, 22 years of professional career and she still sounds sooooo good. Only legend.
            I'm glad you weren't fooled by those prerecoded "live" tracks she lipped to on those tours LOL.
            A certain person really tried it. posting those.

I do give her kudos for those live WHOOSSS though. They sounded good

Comment

• When P!nk was "lightskinned."
              Diva!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by TIfan View Post
                When P!nk was "lightskinned."
                P!nk was / looked hot during her first era.
                Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

I'm glad you weren't fooled by those prerecoded "live" tracks she lipped to on those tours LOL.
                  A certain person really tried it. posting those.

I do give her kudos for those live WHOOSSS though. They sounded good
                  Nobody but delusional people thinks it was live.

Comment

• Originally posted by likeidogoldlink View Post

Nobody but delusional people thinks it was live.
                    I don’t know why you are so obsessed with vocals when it comes to Britney .. I mean Britney!

I give a d*mn about her vocals (not the reason I follow her to begin with)

... that doesn’t change the fact your fave hasn’t been able to sing or offer a decent concert since 2007. So it’s not like you’re stanning for Beyoncé or someone actually good.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

The Popstars longevity!

Mariah Carey - 1990-2008 (18 years)
                      Beyoncé - 2003-2009 (6 years)
                      Taylor Swift - 2012-2017 (5 years)

Michael is just another league
                      What separates Mariah / Madonna from many other acts... is their consistent releases... I mean... Rihanna's next song will likely debut at #1... but there is a 5 years hiatus in between... so these long waiting times should be deducted in that respect.
                      My Chart

Comment

• An artists career should be counted in the years in which they were actually active (and successful).

In Mariah's case:

1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2019, (2020)

I would count 2019 / 2020 because she actually re-released that Xmas album and massively promoted the song with new physical releases as well.
                        My Chart

Comment

An artists career should be counted in the years in which they were actually active (and successful).

In Mariah's case:

1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2019, (2020)

I would count 2019 / 2020 because she actually re-released that Xmas album and massively promoted the song with new physical releases as well.
                          16 years is incredible.

I think for Janet, between 1986-2001, 1988 was the only year she did not have a hit song. She did not release anything that year.
                          Diva!!!

Comment

• Beyonce is credited as a LEAD artist for Perfect Duets 5weeks whether y'all like it or not. Also Taylor Swift had a solo #1 in 2020.
                            aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

What separates Mariah / Madonna from many other acts... is their consistent releases... I mean... Rihanna's next song will likely debut at #1... but there is a 5 years hiatus in between... so these long waiting times should be deducted in that respect.
                              It’s the first time Rihanna takes a break like that though.

Let’s not forget that between 2006-2016 Rihanna (as a lead artist) got a #1 hit in 8 years out of those 10 years.

Comment

• Ariana Grande cannot stop breaking records at the minute as Positions debuts at No 1 on the hot 100.

* All of her number ones have been number one debuts.
                                * three number ones this year
                                * most number one debuts in a calendar year
                                * extending her record of most number one debuts in history to 5
                                * album likely to debut at number one next week too

Comment

• Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post
                                  Beyonce is credited as a LEAD artist for Perfect Duets 5weeks whether y'all like it or not. Also Taylor Swift had a solo #1 in 2020.
                                  The list has been corrected.

Comment

• Mariah actually had a number one single in 2020.

Comment

I disagree, you can't deduct hiatuses. If anything it is actually more impressive to be able to take a hiatus and still come back and hit number one again.

Comment

I disagree, you can't deduct hiatuses. If anything it is actually more impressive to be able to take a hiatus and still come back and hit number one again.
                                        well... then Mariah's successful recording career really does stretch from 1990 to 2020.
                                        My Chart

Comment

well... then Mariah's successful recording career really does stretch from 1990 to 2020.
                                          If you are talking purely about first to last number ones then absolutely yes.

Comment

I don’t know why you are so obsessed with vocals when it comes to Britney .. I mean Britney!

I give a d*mn about her vocals (not the reason I follow her to begin with)

... that doesn’t change the fact your fave hasn’t been able to sing or offer a decent concert since 2007. So it’s not like you’re stanning for Beyoncé or someone actually good.
                                            You are delusional, omg.

Btw,
                                            Their last top 1 with many weeks:

Mariah All I Want for Christmas Is You - 2020 (30 years)
                                            Janet - All for You - 2001 (19 years)
                                            Madonna - Music - 2000 (18 years)
                                            Beyonce - Perfect - 2018 (15 years)
                                            Christina - Moves Like Jagger - 2011 (13 years)
                                            Pink - Just Give Me a Reason - 2013 (13 years)
                                            Rihanna - Work - 2016 (11 years)
                                            Taylor - Look What You Made Me Do - 2017 (11 years)
                                            Whitney - I Will Always Love You - 1993 (9 years)
                                            Celine - I'm Your Angel - 1999 (9 years)
                                            Alicia - Empire State of Mind - 2009 (8 years)
                                            Miley - Wrecking Ball - 2013 (7 years)
                                            Katy - Dark Horse - 2014 (6 years)
                                            Ariana - 7 Rings - 2019 (6 years)
                                            Jlo - 2003 - All I Have (4 years)
                                            Gaga - Born This Way - 2011 (3 years)
                                            Britney - 1999 - ...Baby One More Time (0 years)

Comment

• Updated list:

The Popstars longevity!

Mariah Carey - 1990-2020 (30 years)
                                              Beyoncé - 2003-2018 (15 years)
                                              Whitney Houston - 1985-1995 (10 years)
                                              Taylor Swift - 2013-2020 (8 years)

- -

I updated Mariah and added Whitney. But let’s not fool ourselves Mariah got a #1 in 2020 with a 1994 track based on recurrent / catalogue activity .. it’s not like she would release new material and even chart at all.

Comment

U

I updated Mariah and added Whitney. But let’s not fool ourselves Mariah got a #1 in 2020 with a 1994 track based on recurrent activity .. it’s not like she would release new material and even chart at all.
                                                There's always something to say about any artist. MJ has only regained his status because he died. Same goes for Whitney. Both made great music, but were ridiculed in the years before they died.
                                                My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

Ariana Grande cannot stop breaking records at the minute as Positions debuts at No 1 on the hot 100.

* All of her number ones have been number one debuts.
                                                  * three number ones this year
                                                  * most number one debuts in a calendar year
                                                  * extending her record of most number one debuts in history to 5
                                                  * album likely to debut at number one next week too
                                                  Why do I have the impression that today it is easier to get number 1 hits than it used to be?

Comment

• Carey, Gags, Swift and Biebs

the relevance that that has.Where is Dua Lipa?
                                                    My Chart

Comment

Working...
                                                    X